Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 11:39   #3361
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Blatant copy of the IWC Mark XVIII Pilot and I mean line to line including the curves of the strap.

Two windings a day is way too much, a minimum power reserve of 40++ hours is required in case of a manual wind, this seems to wind out at about 6-8. They couldn't get the onion crown right though, it needs to be larger and taper more as it meets the case.
Yes its a blatant copy and I love it. Thankfully there is no brand name on the face which is kind of sensible. I am winding it way less number of times than needed as I have heard that these cheap movements have no over wind protection mechanism. So what I do is wind it enough to last through the working day and once again wind it again in the morning before leaving for work. The absence of the day date feature makes this much easier as I dont have to worry about it when winding.

On a differnt note I have ordered another Parnis but this time with a Seagull auto movement. Now starts the wait.
Old 30th March 2018, 14:04   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Yes its a blatant copy and I love it. Thankfully there is no brand name on the face which is kind of sensible. I am winding it way less number of times than needed as I have heard that these cheap movements have no over wind protection mechanism. So what I do is wind it enough to last through the working day and once again wind it again in the morning before leaving for work. The absence of the day date feature makes this much easier as I dont have to worry about it when winding.

On a differnt note I have ordered another Parnis but this time with a Seagull auto movement. Now starts the wait.
Bumping up my earlier query. Can you provide info on which website you have ordered from and whether there were any customs payments that you had to make?
Old 30th March 2018, 15:59   #3363
BHPian

Just got my hands on Gen 3 Smartwatch - Q Explorist Stainless Steel - Fossil.

Also a Tommy I got last year is my favourite wear these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20180315_083655_bokeh.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180327_102750_bokeh.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 30th March 2018 at 16:21. Reason: Merged
Old 30th March 2018, 17:01   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Bumping up my earlier query. Can you provide info on which website you have ordered from and whether there were any customs payments that you had to make?
Got it from Aliexpress. I have been charged duty for cheaper items than this so can't comment if you will be charged with any duties.
Old 31st March 2018, 08:32   #3365
BHPian

Here's an attempt to flaunt my 1 & 1/2 years old Mako II on my rather tiny wrist.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20180331_0734112.jpg  

Old 31st March 2018, 09:51   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Here's an attempt to flaunt my 1 & 1/2 years old Mako II on my rather tiny wrist.
Nice. The Mako is really a classic divers watch. Sporty, at the same time, quite different from the usual Submariner homage designs that abound in the market. Best part is, its a great fit for smaller wrists as well. Ive put mine on a rubber strap and its even more comfortable though the OEM bracelet is also pretty comfortable to wear. I have had mine for less than a year, but for whatever time I have worn it, have been extremely satisfied with the fit, finish and accuracy. the only thing lacking on the Mako is the brilliant lume that one gets with Seiko divers.
Old 31st March 2018, 10:23   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
... the only thing lacking on the Mako is the brilliant lume that one gets with Seiko divers.
The SKX007, which has an excellent lume, had been in my radar when this new Mako appeared in the market. The placement of the crown of the Seiko at 4 O'clock was not to my liking. The new handwinding and hacking movement of the Orient had made my decision in its favour an easy one.
Old 31st March 2018, 17:38   #3368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look no further than Barton watch straps:
https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/col...elite-silicone
Arindam, how is this site for leather watches. Do you have suggestion for a good leather strap for my dad's Raymond weil. It's kind of an odd 16mm strap.
Old 31st March 2018, 18:53   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Arindam, how is this site for leather watches. Do you have suggestion for a good leather strap for my dad's Raymond weil. It's kind of an odd 16mm strap.
I will try to answer your question with two options. Unfortunately, I don't think either offer straps in the 16 inch variety! Seems to be a really small size. I have seen straps of 18 mm size, 16mm is something I have not seen myself. You will need to check on Amazon etc. for 16 inches straps.

One is of course Barton watch straps. While I have used only their silicone strap (which, like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I find to be very comfortable and supple), I do believe that their leather watch straps are also great value for money and good quality (based upon user reviews and Youtube videos that I have seen and read). The only thing you need to note here is that they do not, as far as I am aware, offer the alligator grain/ shiny leather strap typically found on dress watches. Rather, their leather straps are the suede-ish finished variety. If you are OK with these, then Barton could be a great option. I find them to be quite nice. Best part about these straps is that all of them are quick-release, which makes changing them in and out a cinch.

The other higher end version which you can consider is Colareb watch straps. These guys are well-respected hand made leather strap manufacturers based out of Italy, and I find their offerings to be absolutely stunning (I mean, really gorgeous) in terms of looks and finishing. From the many online reviews that I have read and watched, their quality is also very good. Price point, however, is quite a bit higher, i.e. in the 50-60USD price range (which is actually quite reasonable if you consider that hand made genuine leather straps sometimes reach astronomical price points). You could check out their site if you want a really high quality strap. The only reason I have not bought them myself is because I find them to be a trifle expensive for the kind of watches that I have. I definitely intend to add a couple to my collection as it evolves further.

Here is the website: http://shop.colareb.it/en/. Colareb does offer international shipping as well.

Over and above these, there are several other well known manufacturers such as Hadley- Roma which also have good variety of offerings though again, you'll have to look at getting them from the US.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 31st March 2018 at 19:03.
Old 6th April 2018, 15:33   #3370
BHPian

I have learnt a great deal about watches from this forum. The knowledge shared by members here has got me interested in exploring different kinds of watches. Few pages back, I was introduced to the Bauhaus design of watches. I came across watches from a German company called Junghans and I really liked one of their designs (Max Bill). I am looking for suggestions where the glass cover of the watch is slightly elevated (attaching a picture below). I am not sure if I am able to explain this but the glass cover is not flat – it is shaped like a dome or an imperfect sphere. A black dial with brown straps looks smashing. Any idea of other manufacturers which have such designs i.e. simplistic with a dome shaped glass over. If I am not wrong, HMT watches are like that. Any other brands which can offer such designs (Orient, Seiko, Citizen)?

Which watch do you own?-2014_02_max_bill_automatic_beauty_027_3401_02.jpg
Old 7th April 2018, 14:59   #3371
BHPian

Saanil, you could have a look at the Orient Bambino and also other Orient's like their open heart series. Even some Seikos have these domed glass models.
Old 9th April 2018, 09:42   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Any other brands which can offer such designs (Orient, Seiko, Citizen)?
The Orient Bambino would be your cheapest yet most value for money option. There are four separate versions of the Orient Bambino range, all of which offer the Bauhaus design in some form or the other. There are a huge variety of models and dials styles and colors to choose from, Im sure there will be one or more to your liking. I recommend Long Island Watches, they stock the entire range of Bambinos.

There is a new Bambino version which has just released called the Bambino small seconds version. These are also gorgeous and offer a lovely vintage dial style. You can check these out as well. Best part is, all of these are really affordable and great value for money. My daily use for office wear is the Bambino Gen 2 Ver 2 for the past year or so.

Seiko and Citizen also offer several versions, but the closest to the Bauhaus style of design would, in my view, be the Orient Bambino range.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2018 at 10:30. Reason: Removed dead image link from quoted post
Old 11th April 2018, 14:02   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
I came across watches from a German company called Junghans and I really liked one of their designs (Max Bill). I am looking for suggestions where the glass cover of the watch is slightly elevated. I am not sure if I am able to explain this but the glass cover is not flat – it is shaped like a dome or an imperfect sphere. If I am not wrong, HMT watches are like that. Any other brands which can offer such designs (Orient, Seiko, Citizen)?
Attachment 1749195
I think i know what you mean, 2 years back i was lucky enough and was able to order HMT Janata white dial from their website. Since then i have been searching for Pilot as well but in vain. Attached below few photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_0577.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0578.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0579.jpg  

Old 11th April 2018, 14:22   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Saanil, you could have a look at the Orient Bambino and also other Orient's like their open heart series. Even some Seikos have these domed glass models.
Thanks! I will have a look at them.

Quote:
The Orient Bambino would be your cheapest yet most value for money option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
able to order HMT Janata white dial from their website.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Check out OLX, Quickr for HMT watches.

I have a question - are all HMT watches mechanical? Also what is the significance of writing the number of jewels on the dial? More jewels means a better watch?
Old 11th April 2018, 16:00   #3375
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question - are all HMT watches mechanical? Also what is the significance of writing the number of jewels on the dial? More jewels means a better watch?
HMT watches have almost the full range - mechanical, automatic, automatic skeleton, quartz, quartz chronograph. You can check them out here - www.hmtwatches.in. But the dome shaped watch crystals are only in mechanical and restricted to the Janata, Pilot, Nishat, Saathi and Sona models which are currently on their website but rarely available.

In mechanical I have the Janata (Milky White) and Pilot (white with blue hands) and in automatic the Sourabh Supreme black dial. Will post some pictures later.

Both the mechanical models run for almost 36 hours after a full wind, and the automatic has power reserve for about 45 hours after a full day wear.

Regarding the number of jewels please read it here -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_watch

Quote:
A 17 jewel watch has every bearing from the balance wheel to the center wheel pivot bearings jeweled, so it was considered a 'fully jeweled' watch.[15] In quality watches, to minimize positional error, capstones were added to the lever and escape wheel bearings, making 21 jewels. Even the mainspring barrel arbor was sometimes jeweled, making the total 23. When self-winding watches were introduced in the 1950s, several wheels in the automatic winding mechanism were jeweled, increasing the count to 25-27.

It is doubtful whether adding jewels in addition to the ones listed above is really useful in a watch.[19] It does not increase accuracy, since the only wheels which have an effect on the balance wheel, those in the going train, are already jeweled. Marine chronometers, the most accurate portable timepieces, often have only 7 jewels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks