Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 22:04   #3286
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

My daily beater. My last significant watch purchase over the last 2 years. My "shark teeth monster"
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20180124_21574701.jpeg  

Old 25th January 2018, 10:37   #3287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems that Omega have fixed on Omega Speedmaster Pro (1974 vintage) My son gave it in on 30 June and was informed earlier this week that it is fixed. Thanks to SS_traveller who told me of the Omega Service Centre in Delhi. Our son will inspect it and then collect. Damages (a lot) are about 70k.
Our son collected the watch from the service centre today. Total damages ₹74,228. The have replaced the glass, dial, and all the bad internals. The watch looks pristine, and the repairs come with a two year warranty. Thanks once again SS_Traveller. As it happens the Omega Service Centre is within a couple of km of his hospital. Even the chronograph which was a bit erratic seems to have been fixed.
Old 25th January 2018, 10:49   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
My daily beater. My last significant watch purchase over the last 2 years. My "shark teeth monster"
Awesome watch, the Monster. It has a huge cult following across the globe (especially the classic orange Monster) and is extremely hard to find nowadays. The design is unlike any other in the Seiko portfolio. Monsters are known for their superlative lame, and most of the Seiko divers since glow like a flashlight. My Samurai is a close competitor to the Monster in terms of lime power.

This particular one by the way is affectionately known as the Dracula monster, because of the blood red teeth on the dial
Old 28th January 2018, 00:01   #3289
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
This is what I ordered from Amazon and they are of really good quality - Fico Brown Watch case
Thanks for the link. Ended up buying a Fico watch case for 6 watches. Costed Rs 749. Posting a few pics.

Which watch do you own?-bx4.jpg

Which watch do you own?-bx1.jpg
Old 28th January 2018, 13:43   #3290
Senior - BHPian

My collection. Couple Of Seikos are missing in this pic.

@V.Narayan sir - I am next in the queue if you are planning to give away :-) :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1517127083558.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th January 2018 at 13:48.
Old 5th February 2018, 14:45   #3291
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Budget, watches are set to become more expensive! From what i read in the papers, a 45k Tissot will now cost 50k.

Btw, Ethos currently have a Valentine's Day Sale till mid-February for those of you interested.
Old 6th February 2018, 12:24   #3292
BANNED

My old faithful (bought in 1996 at Schiphol duty-free) stopped working sometime back. Any reliable service centre in Lucknow? I'll be returning to Mumbai in a couple of month's time and can of course get it serviced there.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-tag-needs-repair.jpg  

Old 8th February 2018, 23:15   #3293
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, needed an opinion.
There are some good discounts on offer at Ethos. Was interested in the below Raymond Weil Freelancer watches. I'm told on the phone that discounts are in the range of 30-40% ! I'm ok with quartz movement as well.
I already own a Raymond Weil Tango(quartz) which i wear once in a while. Seiko Presage(automatic) which i bought last month is what i wear most often nowadays.
There are a few Tag Heuer watches as well in that price range for which discounts will be much lesser(about 20%) due to it being a more sought after brand or so I'm told. I remember checking out some entry level Tag's last year which i felt were underwhelming!
I also checked out an Oris Aquis Date today, felt my Raymond Weil was slightly better finished. I am yet to see any of the below watches in the flesh though. There were 2 other Freelancer which i saw today which weren't part of the sale but the store was still willing to offer 23% discount!
Did not like anything from Longines.
Main reason for buying is the discounts on offer!

Which watch do you own?-rw.jpg

Which watch do you own?-tag.jpg

Which watch do you own?-aq.jpg
Old 9th February 2018, 02:15   #3294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, needed an opinion.
Main reason for buying is the discounts on offer!
]

Each to its own. I would never ever buy anything just because it is cheap. I would buy because I need it, like it, adore it, appreciate it, want it etc. but never just because some punter offers something at a discount.

When I look at the watch on my wrist, I can imagine all sorts of emotions, but not it was heavily discounted/cheap.

But again, there is no right or wrong just personal preferences.
Jeroen
Old 9th February 2018, 11:08   #3295
BHPian

Picked up a Fico 5 watch box. Good sleek design, okayish quality. Smell of fake leather is a turn off though

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-9d0dfd48e59f410599e0e6da4c95f326.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-7ced1eb348644effa6dba00084df4926.jpeg  

Old 10th February 2018, 09:22   #3296

Quote:
Guys, needed an opinion.
There are some good discounts on offer at Ethos. Was interested in the below Raymond Weil Freelancer watches. I'm told on the phone that discounts are in the range of 30-40% ! I'm ok with quartz movement as well.
Depending on your budget I would suggest you also look at Nomos. You should be able to get a nomos orion for a bit more than the Raymond Weil I think. It'll be a mechanical movement with a sapphire crystal case back. Finish is very good as well.

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2018 at 17:16. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 10th February 2018, 16:20   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Quote:
Guys, needed an opinion.

Depending on your budget I would suggest you also look at Nomos. You should be able to get a nomos orion for a bit more than the Raymond Weil I think. It'll be a mechanical movement with a sapphire crystal case back. Finish is very good as well.
Nomos is a very different kind of watch than the Raymon Weil which has been pointed out by PPS. However, I would agree that Nomos is an outstanding brand and well worth a look. I doubt that there are any discounts on them though. The Tangente series from Nomos especially is killer. Even the Nomos Club series is worth a look.

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2018 at 17:30. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 12th February 2018, 15:42   #3298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Our son collected the watch from the service centre today. Total damages ₹74,228. The have replaced the glass, dial, and all the bad internals. The watch looks pristine, and the repairs come with a two year warranty. Thanks once again SS_Traveller. As it happens the Omega Service Centre is within a couple of km of his hospital. Even the chronograph which was a bit erratic seems to have been fixed.
The watch came back and he is now using it. The Image is attached. Looks absolutely pristine, esp for a 1975 watch. As I did not have my camera I used the mobile, so the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-omega_img.jpg  

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th February 2018 at 15:56.
Old 12th February 2018, 18:02   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Great watches, these "monster"s - one thing I like about them is that there are no bezel inserts to get messed up as on a majority of other dive watches (incl. the much more costly TAG below). A few use ceramics, but most are fragile / scratch-prone comparative to the watch case / crystal itself. I suppose that if you whacked it really, really hard the stainless itself could be marred, but overall a lot more robust and stays nice looking for longer in daily beater use.

Really like your particular dial, as well. Great VFM, these Seikos.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 12th February 2018 at 18:04.
Old 12th February 2018, 18:10   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Here's my year old Seiko Kinetic diver's watch with its bright Lumibrite markings. I love the Kinetic series for its hybrid drive system. It has a micro generator which is run by the wearer's hand movements like an automatic watch which in turn keeps the battery charged (first Kinetic models used capacitors) which actually powers the quartz movement. Once fully charged it will not need another shake for 6 months If the power charge goes down the watch goes into a power saving mode and suspends the hand movements, but still keeps the time internally so that it goes back to showing the right time when charged.
Attachment 613850
In its 8th year now, the Kinetic is not holding charge now and i suppose the battery/capacitor needs replacement. Are these available with Seiko India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
My next watch, when i can buy one, would be a Seiko Spring Drive watch.
My next watches were not Spring Drives I had wished for but turned out to be EcoDrives - a Perpetual Calendar Sapphire MIJ , a Titanium Sapphire MIJ and a divers popularly called as ecodrive excalibur. Ecodrives are like the Toyota of the watch world, keeps going.

Last edited by Sankar : 12th February 2018 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks