Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 00:14   #3301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
In its 8th year now, the Kinetic is not holding charge now and i suppose the battery/capacitor needs replacement. Are these available with Seiko India?
I too have a Kinetic, maybe about 15 years old had the same issue of not holding its charge for more than a few hours. Sent it to the authorised dealer in Trivandrum and got it back in perfect condition. Try them out.
Old 14th February 2018, 19:20   #3302
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, needed an opinion.
There are some good discounts on offer at Ethos. Was interested in the below Raymond Weil Freelancer watches. I'm told on the phone that discounts are in the range of 30-40% ! I'm ok with quartz movement as well.
I already own a Raymond Weil Tango(quartz) which i wear once in a while. Seiko Presage(automatic) which i bought last month is what i wear most often nowadays.
There are a few Tag Heuer watches as well in that price range for which discounts will be much lesser(about 20%) due to it being a more sought after brand or so I'm told. I remember checking out some entry level Tag's last year which i felt were underwhelming!
I also checked out an Oris Aquis Date today, felt my Raymond Weil was slightly better finished. I am yet to see any of the below watches in the flesh though. There were 2 other Freelancer which i saw today which weren't part of the sale but the store was still willing to offer 23% discount!
Did not like anything from Longines.
Main reason for buying is the discounts on offer!

Attachment 1727730

Attachment 1727731

Attachment 1727732
I am going for the Oris Aquis Date. Honestly I was looking for a diver watch anyway. Check out Legend Diver from Longines' heritage collection. Itsabsolutely beautiful watch. Its out of stock right now in Mumbai and new stock coming in by 20th. I have been promised a healthy discount on it as well. If they get the stock sooner, I'll might chuck the Oris. Considering the budget, I think there are better watches from other brands than Raymond Weil/Tag.
Old 14th February 2018, 19:22   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I too have a Kinetic, maybe about 15 years old had the same issue of not holding its charge for more than a few hours. Sent it to the authorised dealer in Trivandrum and got it back in perfect condition. Try them out.
Thanks!
Do you remember the name of the shop? Was it Krishnan Nair & Sons?
Old 14th February 2018, 20:50   #3304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Thanks!
Do you remember the name of the shop? Was it Krishnan Nair & Sons?
Nope, sorry it wasn't Trivandrum, but Kochi. Alfa Time Service Pvt. Ltd. Address: S-3, Waterfront, G.C.D.A Commercial Complex, Marine Drive, Kochi. I just found the bill.
Old 14th February 2018, 22:09   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Hi all. Can you recommend where to get watch winder in Mumbai. For at least 4 watches. Thanks.
Old 15th February 2018, 00:35   #3306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Hi all. Can you recommend where to get watch winder in Mumbai. For at least 4 watches. Thanks.
I would suggest you try the legacy watch repairers on D N Road near CST Station (VT area). The entire stretch from VT Station to Regal Theatre has a lot of old timer watch repairers and I am sure you will find a shop dealing with watch winders.
All the best with your search.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:54   #3307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
You will find quite a wide variety of watch winders online as well, e.g. on Amazon. Check this link for some examples:
https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...=1G0DC4VJPS1V6
Old 15th February 2018, 12:25   #3308
Senior - BHPian

Finally bought Seiko Prospex Padi Solar SNE435P1 watch from US of A for less than 15K from Bonanza site.
watch is damn good and Luma bright is pretty awesome

Some of my watches i am currently using

1. Seiko Prospex
2. Citizen Titanium Eco Drive Chronograph
3. Citizen Eco Drive Chronograph
4. Titan Octane
5. Timex Expedition
6. Titan Classic
7. Citizen Quartz.

Which watch do you own?-watch-1.jpeg

Next purchase might be a triple sensor casio watch.

https://www.casioindiashop.com/Watch...Men-Watch.html
Old 15th February 2018, 12:38   #3309
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
I am going for the Oris Aquis Date. I think there are better watches from other brands than Raymond Weil/Tag.
I did not end up buying anything as i did not like any watch in the flesh! I had a look at Oris Aquis as well, a very nice watch but i felt it was a bit heavy & too chunky. I guess I'll have to wait till the next round of discounts.
Old 15th February 2018, 16:13   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I would suggest you try the legacy watch repairers on D N Road near CST Station (VT area). The entire stretch from VT Station to Regal Theatre has a lot of old timer watch repairers and I am sure you will find a shop dealing with watch winders.
All the best with your search.
Thank you. Will check the place on coming visit
Old 15th February 2018, 20:12   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Which watch do you own

I have been using several watch winders over the years. I have been consulting many watchmakers and forums on the pro s and cons of using them. Nobody seems to agree. I have also written to the various manufacturers and never got a straight answer. Even when we visited the Breitling service centre nobody would give a straight answer.

The obvious advantage is of course that your watch is ready for use. It's running on time, date and other complications set.

There appears to be one train of thoughts that claim on modern watches a winder isn't really necessary. Production precision and modern oil technique are so advanced it really doesn't matter whether you stop the watch or not.

Older watches might react less favourable to prolonged periods of not running.

However, if you keep your watch on a winder it will be experiencing the same kind of wear as if it was on your wrist regardless of how old it is.

So I guess the jury is still out there on this one!

Jeroen
Old 16th February 2018, 09:24   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

So I guess the jury is still out there on this one!

Jeroen
Yes, there are conflicting schools of thought on watch winders and a lot has been said either way on whether it is a good addition to the collection or not. I am one of those persons who want all their automatics (I have 5) to be running with precision every day, day after day. While I do not see the need to invest in a winder yet (good quality ones are pretty expensive!), I do make it a point to give them a wind first thing in the morning irrespective of whether I am wearing the piece that day or not. That ways, all of them are merrily ticking along.

Quote:
I did not end up buying anything as i did not like any watch in the flesh! I had a look at Oris Aquis as well, a very nice watch but i felt it was a bit heavy & too chunky. I guess I'll have to wait till the next round of discounts.
Sir- I agree that the Aquis is quite big and heavy, especially on the bracelet. However, please do note the following (1) The Oris Aquis has recently ben released in a 39.5 mm case size. I am unaware of whether this model has made its way to our shores yet or not, but it is definitely available abroad (2) Have you checked the Oris Divers 65 reissue? These are gorgeous watches, thin, light and come in a 40 mm case size. The blue dial especially is just awesome to look at. These come on a bracelet as well as a lovely distressed leather strap. Do give it a look whenever you are deciding on your next divers purchase. This model is certainly available in Ethos stores.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th February 2018 at 09:25.
Old 16th February 2018, 11:42   #3313
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Oris Aquis has recently ben released in a 39.5 mm case size. I am unaware of whether this model has made its way to our shores yet or not, but it is definitely available abroad
I read about it online, they're not available at Ethos yet. Will wait for it to reach our stores here & then see it.

Quote:
(2) Have you checked the Oris Divers 65 reissue?
I don't think i quite liked it so did not check it out closely, they were there at the store.
Since you mentioned Steinhart in one of your earlier posts, I'm doing a bit of research on them, liked the Ocean 1 so now trying to figure out how to get it down here!
Old 16th February 2018, 12:43   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you mentioned Steinhart in one of your earlier posts, I'm doing a bit of research on them, liked the Ocean 1 so now trying to figure out how to get it down here!
Steinhart is a solid choice, though most of them are Rolex Submariner homages. Check out the Ocean One Titanium as well, I think its a lovely unique design and super light because its made of titanium. The Ocean One also comes in a 39 mm size, which would be a good size for a smaller wrist.

Gnomon Watches is the main Asian distributor and they are based out of Singapore.

Check them out here: http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...watches?page=3

Couple of new watches I picked up over the last couple of months. The Seiko Alpinist and the Seiko SARB033, both iconic JDM (Japan domestic market watches) which come in a smaller 38mm case size.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125701941.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125729632.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125746626.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125758866.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125820807.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20180216_125837806.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th February 2018 at 13:10.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:04   #3315
BHPian

Arindamji, Do Gnomon watches deliver in India ? Their website doesn't list India as one of the countries they deliver to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks