Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 14:21   #3421
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Have a question about a Seiko automatic i picked up a few years back. I dont use it regularly, when I do, it automatically starts working but I always seem to have to adjust the time. If kept without use it soon loses the time and needs to be adjusted again. Is this a faulty capacitor (something internal), has anyone else faced this issue
Automatic watch's main spring is wound automatically when you wear (due to movement of your hands) and manual winding is not required. You need to wear it everyday/alternate day based on the power reserve to keep it running continuously without manual adjustment.

In case you have Seiko Kinetic/Solar watch and facing this problem, yes capacitor need to be changed.

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th April 2018 at 14:27.
Old 20th April 2018, 18:26   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
If you are looking at the INR 70K price category, you should definitely look at the brands Junghans, Stowa and Sinn.
I really liked Junghans Max bill watch which I had posted on this forum a couple of pages back. Ethos does not have these brands and they do not have presence in India I suppose. Should I order them from online website? Which website is reliable for buying such watches? In case I need to get it repaired, how will I do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Looks like your dad has a liking from Swiss timepieces from what I read. If he is not into a habit of wearing a watch daily then a mechanical watch would not be advisable.
I agree with you. Even I am leaning towards buying a quartz watch for my father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
check out the Longines Le Grand Classique line.

36-38mm case size, simple and elegant designs.
I checked them on Ethos and it is looking very nice! Simple and clean designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I would suggest a nice Tissot or Longines. Both have very good options in both quartz & Automatic in your price band

Personally even a nice Seiko automatic / kinetic or Citizen Blue Angels type eco-drive might work.
I will check out Seiko too! Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 21st April 2018, 00:03   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Anyone got a good brand recommendation for open heart watches where you can see the gears move in the background when you wear the watch. Not interested in ones where the back of the watch is transparent though!

Maddy
Old 21st April 2018, 05:34   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Anyone got a good brand recommendation for open heart watches where you can see the gears move in the background when you wear the watch. Not interested in ones where the back of the watch is transparent though!

Maddy

One of my favourites is the tissot t-complication squelette, but it probably has a transparent back. My other pick is a chronoswiss timemaster skeleton.
Old 21st April 2018, 09:08   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Maddy
Plenty of those around, from almost all possible brands. When I say plenty, there are few thousand watches in that category which have a transparent case back- usually these are mechanical watches (and not quartz watches).

That said, the term "open heart" is usually meant to imply those watches which have a small opening on the front dial through which part of the movement can be seen. What you are talking about though, are watches with entirely transparent/ display glass case backs, which is a different construction and allows one to view the entire watch movement from the back of the watch case.

In both cases, there are many diverse options. You will have to narrow down your search by specifying budget, genre of watch (dress, divers, sports/everyday casual, chronograph, etc.) before anyone can give recommendations.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:27   #3426
Senior - BHPian

What is the percentage of discount Ethos usually offers? On phone, I got 15% off the listed price, but before I sign the dotted line, want to know if it is the usual ballpark for discounts or should I push more?

Also, will I get a better deal if I go to one of the showrooms? The watch I am interested in is not available at Bangalore as per the guy who spoke to me over the phone, so I am part reluctant to buy the watch without seeing it in flesh.

--Anoop
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:17   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
What is the percentage of discount Ethos usually offers? On phone, I got 15% off the listed price, but before I sign the dotted line, want to know if it is the usual ballpark for discounts or should I push more?

Also, will I get a better deal if I go to one of the showrooms? The watch I am interested in is not available at Bangalore as per the guy who spoke to me over the phone, so I am part reluctant to buy the watch without seeing it in flesh.

--Anoop
Which Brand and Model?

You can get upto 30% discount, depending on the brand as well as the length of time the watch has been in stock. As in every other commodity, older stock gets better discount, in demand current stock the least.

I suggest that you visit the showroom in person. In large metros there will be more than one Ethos showroom. Also check if there are other large retailers who sell the same models, if so visit them and negotiate.
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:26   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Which Brand and Model?

You can get upto 30% discount, depending on the brand as well as the length of time the watch has been in stock. As in every other commodity, older stock gets better discount, in demand current stock the least.

I suggest that you visit the showroom in person. In large metros there will be more than one Ethos showroom. Also check if there are other large retailers who sell the same models, if so visit them and negotiate.
This is the one I am after: Longines Conquest Heritage

The alternatives are: Louis Erard Heritage and Raymond Weil Maestro.

I am drawn by the retro look of the Longines but haven't seen any other sellers for the same at Bangalore.

--Anoop
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:14   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone purchased the BMW M Performance watches. Wanted to know if they are good as I'm planning to pick up one for my wife and one for myself.
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:24   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Has anyone purchased the BMW M Performance watches. Wanted to know if they are good as I'm planning to pick up one for my wife and one for myself.
I just used google to find out more about them. Apparently some of the watches are made by a company called Tourneau (Wiki says it is a luxury watch retailer established in 1900 and based in the United States).

There is thread (link) where a number of companies are said to make BMW watches - Invicta, Ball, Buran.

How much are you getting them for and from where?
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:46   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I just used google to find out more about them. Apparently some of the watches are made by a company called Tourneau (Wiki says it is a luxury watch retailer established in 1900 and based in the United States).

There is thread (link) where a number of companies are said to make BMW watches - Invicta, Ball, Buran.
Thanks

Quote:
How much are you getting them for and from where?
BMW Showroom. Various models are there. The one I liked was around 22K.
Old 24th April 2018, 00:36   #3432
BHPian

I have been using a Skagen chronograph since 2 and a half years and it started to show some problems. I wanted to buy a quality timepiece, one that I could use on most of the occasions, one that can last for decades, one that looks very simple from outside but has awesome quality on the inside.

I set my eyes one and a half years ago on a Nomos Tangente and today I managed to get one. I would not call it a luxury, but a simplistic timepiece!

What I like much about this watch is the fact that it is manual winding, comparatively small (35mm in diameter) case, very minimalistic design. The creamy dial with the blue hour and minute hands make it look vintage. The dial has a sapphire crystal glass and I hope that it can withstand against scratches. The strap is a cordovan leather and looks well made. Overall an elegant timepiece that will probably last for ever!

Truly a masterpiece of German craftsmanship and quality!

I will let the pictures do the talking! [Excuse me for the bad quality. I shot it with my Mobile phone]
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_0646.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0642.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0647.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0648.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_0644.jpg  

Last edited by joe1980 : 24th April 2018 at 00:49.
Old 24th April 2018, 13:20   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the one I am after: Longines Conquest Heritage

The alternatives are: Louis Erard Heritage and Raymond Weil Maestro.

I am drawn by the retro look of the Longines but haven't seen any other sellers for the same at Bangalore.

--Anoop
Longines is a part of Swatch Group (Omega, Tissot etc). So search for Omega/Tissot showrooms. Normally they have a catalog, and can order for you.

stige and Luxury Range
High Range
Longines
Rado
Union Glashütte
Middle Range
Basic Range
Production
Electronic Systems
Corporate
Distribution
Landmarks

Swatch Group – High RangeSwatch Group – High RangeSwatch Group – High Range

High Range
Longines, Rado and Union Glashütte offer a wide range of sophisticated watches positioned at the top end of the market. They are characterized by their pioneering spirit, their technological innovation and their considerable involvement in sport and design.

These three brands have gained a worldwide reputation for excellence. In more than a century of activity in the principal world markets, they have been able to adapt to consumer tastes and desires whilst displaying outstanding quality and inventiveness. Each of them has a history of major awards for watchmaking or design, eloquent testimony to their quality and to their firm foundation in interpreting changing trends.

With these brands, the Swatch Group takes up the challenge of perpetuating a spirit of indisputable conquest.

Search
Site Map
Archive
Contact us
Info Service
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
Share Quotes Displayed market data
delayed at least 15 min.
© 2018
The Swatch Group Ltd

Swatch Group, Brands and Companies – Watches and Jewelry, High Range
Old 24th April 2018, 15:05   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I really liked Junghans Max bill watch which I had posted on this forum a couple of pages back. Ethos does not have these brands and they do not have presence in India I suppose. Should I order them from online website? Which website is reliable for buying such watches? In case I need to get it repaired, how will I do it?
In case you are willing to wait for another month or two, Ethos is working to bring & retail Junghans to India

Quote:

--Anoop
As I understood, you are looking at Longines conquest, we managed a discount of 24% last year for a friend from Ethos Mumbai.

The watch model is : https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...42-4-96-6.html

As Aroy pointed out, it is better to visit the retail outlet in person, to negotiate a good deal + to touch & feel the watch in person.
Old 24th April 2018, 16:07   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Longines is a part of Swatch Group (Omega, Tissot etc). So search for Omega/Tissot showrooms. Normally they have a catalog, and can order for you.
Thank you - will try out this route also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post

As I understood, you are looking at Longines conquest, we managed a discount of 24% last year for a friend from Ethos Mumbai.
That is a handsome discount on a very handsome watch. I will visit the showroom personally, let us hope it brings some respite

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks