Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2018, 19:13   #3436
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

Truly a masterpiece of German craftsmanship and quality!
Many congratulations on the Nomos. One of the best dress watch companies in the mid range price bracket. I personally love the Tangent with the blue dial as well as the Club model. Perfect size for everyday wearability with formal clothes!
Old 25th April 2018, 19:18   #3437
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up an ORIS Divers 65 in distressed leather.
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1524664088.485946.jpg
Old 25th April 2018, 19:39   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Many congratulations on the Nomos. One of the best dress watch companies in the mid range price bracket. I personally love the Tangent with the blue dial as well as the Club model. Perfect size for everyday wearability with formal clothes!
Thank you very much!!

However, I'm thinking if I should spend an additional sum to replace the stainless steel back with a crystal clear back so that the Nomos Alpha is visible.

Have a look at the picture from this post:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/nomo...ck-762453.html

I was looking at some Youtube video on this and all I can say is that I could stare on this Alpha movement all day long! So I'm considering if I should shell out that extra money to replace the steel back with a Crystal back. Nomos customer support says that it is possible, but I have to send them the watch, they will do the replacement. They will shred the steel case as every Nomos watch has an associated manufacturer number and it is unique. I cannot have both the steel back and the Crystal back.
Old 26th April 2018, 08:57   #3439

Quote:
Thank you very much!!

However, I'm thinking if I should spend an additional sum to replace the stainless steel back with a crystal clear back so that the Nomos Alpha is visible.

Congrats on a great purchase! Doesn't it have a standard option with the sapphire crystal back? I remember seeing the Orion with both options. Any reason you bought the stainless steel back and then want to swap it? Also may I ask where you bought it and what discount did you get, if any?
Old 26th April 2018, 09:10   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at the picture from this post:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/nomo...ck-762453.html
Yes the Nomos movements are indeed very well finished and a pleasure to look at through the display case backs. I was always under the impression that their dress watches all has a display case back, quite surprised to see that your particular model does not have one.

Also, interesting to see that the company offers the option to swap out the case back to a display window. Good initiative by Nomos!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th April 2018 at 09:11.
Old 26th April 2018, 16:55   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Congrats on a great purchase! Doesn't it have a standard option with the sapphire crystal back? I remember seeing the Orion with both options. Any reason you bought the stainless steel back and then want to swap it? Also may I ask where you bought it and what discount did you get, if any?
The standard option for the Tangente is with a steel back. Since Tangente is their classical / legacy model, I guess they have it with the steel back, while the Orion is always with a crystal back, I assume but not sure.

I actually thought that spending that extra money on the crystal back might not be worth until I saw one in flesh. But by that time I already had got mine with the steel back. But nevertheless, I wanted to give it a try to see if I can change the steel back with the crystal back. It is simply majestic. You've got to see it to adore it! I could not get any discount unfortunately, but got 2 additional years of warranty in addition to the 2 year manufacturer warranty.

Here are the details on this watch!

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-101

I got it at a store in Düsseldorf, a city in the NRW region of Germany.

Quote:
Yes the Nomos movements are indeed very well finished and a pleasure to look at through the display case backs. I was always under the impression that their dress watches all has a display case back, quite surprised to see that your particular model does not have one.

Also, interesting to see that the company offers the option to swap out the case back to a display window. Good initiative by Nomos!
I just got the information from Nomos that I can indeed get the case replaced, while at the same time I can keep the old steel case with me.

Last edited by joe1980 : 26th April 2018 at 17:14.
Old 26th April 2018, 19:15   #3442
BHPian

Got myself a Casio Edifice EX354 from the official casio store in Bangalore Central Mall today.

Which watch do you own?-ex354casiooriginalimaeymg6dsyydgrm.jpeg
Old 26th April 2018, 19:22   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Recently acquired a taste for vintage HMT watches. Managed to source two, definitely a trip down memory lane. The left one is the Janata Art Deco a variation of their first and most popular model and on the right is Chirag with Blue Dial, both mechanical of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-11.jpg  

Last edited by bigron : 26th April 2018 at 19:28.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:01   #3444
BHPian

Need a general suggestion. Those that use a mechanically / manually wound watches, how do you cope up with the fact that one day you forget to wind it and in the middle of a hectic day, the watch stops and you fail to take notice. It happened to me yesterday as I forgot to wind it in the morning and at around 15:31, it just stopped. I had a take a flight back home around 17:00. While I did still manage not to miss the flight, it was only at 16:15 that I was able to realise that the watch indeed freeze at 15:31.

So the question is how do you guys cope with this? I was under the impression that winding it everyday for about 15 times should give it enough power for the day. I will probably test this rule. What do you guys think?
Old 27th April 2018, 11:18   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need a general suggestion. Those that use a mechanically / manually wound watches, how do you cope up with the fact that one day you forget to wind it and in the middle of a hectic day, the watch stops and you fail to take notice. It happened to me yesterday as I forgot to wind it in the morning and at around 15:31, it just stopped. I had a take a flight back home around 17:00. While I did still manage not to miss the flight, it was only at 16:15 that I was able to realise that the watch indeed freeze at 15:31.

So the question is how do you guys cope with this? I was under the impression that winding it everyday for about 15 times should give it enough power for the day. I will probably test this rule. What do you guys think?
Not had a manual wind watch for ages.
. Keep a fixed time every day to wind a watch. Once the habit develops you will rarely miss winding.
. Check the time on the watch against cell phone at least twice a day. This is especially true for automatic watches as they may stop or slow down suddenly.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:24   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While I keep away from purely manually wound watches (prefer automatic which recharges with body movements), I do make it a habit of winding my once watches everyday (at least the 2-3 that would be wearing and which are in rotation at any given point in time). Therefore, the question of watches stopping does not arise. But, yes, there have been a rare few instances where I have been unable to do so (either forgot to do it or I was travelling) and in such cases the watches have stopped and I have had to reset the time, date, etc.

That being said, it is usually advised to wind manual watches twice a day, 30- 40 winds each time (be careful not to overwind it though- manual watches usually have a hard stop point beyond which you should never wind even a bit more), so as to ensure that they do not end up stopping on the wrist. Make this a habit and you should be good to go.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th April 2018 at 11:28.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:33   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Not had a manual wind watch for ages.
. Keep a fixed time every day to wind a watch. Once the habit develops you will rarely miss winding.
. Check the time on the watch against cell phone at least twice a day. This is especially true for automatic watches as they may stop or slow down suddenly.
Quote:
While I keep away from purely manually wound watches (prefer automatic which recharges with body movements), I do make it a habit of winding my once watches everyday (at least the 2-3 that would be wearing and which are in rotation at any given point in time). Therefore, the question of watches stopping does not arise. But, yes, there have been a rare few instances where I have been unable to do so (either forgot to do it or I was travelling) and in such cases the watches have stopped and I have had to reset the time, date, etc.

That being said, it is usually advised to wind manual watches twice a day, 30- 40 winds each time (be careful not to overwind it though- manual watches usually have a hard stop point beyond which you should never wind even a bit more), so as to ensure that they do not end up stopping on the wrist. Make this a habit and you should be good to go.
I tried today to wind it up to the point where there is resistance from the watch. The power reserve rating is up to 43 hours from a full winding. This would mean that I got to wind it every alternate day. Need to get used to this ceremony!
Old 27th April 2018, 12:37   #3448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried today to wind it up to the point where there is resistance from the watch. The power reserve rating is up to 43 hours from a full winding. This would mean that I got to wind it every alternate day. Need to get used to this ceremony!
You will be surprised (I was too, when I was uninitiated) that this daily ritual of winding a wristwatch becomes a really endearing one. For lack of a better way to put it, it builds a level of intimacy and personalisation between the watch and its owner. In some way, you are keeping the watch alive and ticking with this everyday ritual.

It is something that I have come to love, rather than regard as a chore, ever since I started getting into mechanical watches.
Old 27th April 2018, 13:16   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-101

I got it at a store in Düsseldorf, a city in the NRW region of Germany.

Hi, are there any price-wise, or other, advantages in buying this in europe vs buying from Ethos in India?

The context is - I am planning to buy a Nomos, but I am traveling to Germany and Austria next month - should I wait and buy it only after checking it out in Vienna or Munich?

Thanks in advance!
Old 27th April 2018, 13:36   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Recently acquired a taste for vintage HMT watches. Managed to source two, definitely a trip down memory lane. The left one is the Janata Art Deco a variation of their first and most popular model and on the right is Chirag with Blue Dial, both mechanical of course.
Wow! The Janata Art Deco is such a beautiful watch - Congratulations. I have a copy of the HMT Janata, and would love to pick up the Art Deco as well. Any pointers please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks