Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:23   #3481
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Here is what I got as reply from NOMOS:

Quote:
We are sorry to hear that your new NOMOS timepiece is not keeping accurate time.

Mechanical watches always exhibit an element of tolerance as far as accuracy is concerned. This depends on the way a watch is worn, for example. Variations in temperature and air pressure, minor jolts, and irregular winding (but this only applies to hand-wound watches, so nothing for you to worry about) can also have an influence. Generally, NOMOS watches achieve an accuracy of one to two minutes deviation per week. This is a very good figure, and not far from that guaranteed for chronometer-tested watches in accordance with the ISO 3159 standard.

If you want to check the accuracy of your timepiece, we recommend winding and setting it first thing in the morning and then logging its accuracy in the evening. Doing so over the course of a week should show whether your Tangente is within our tolerance. Should it not be, please contact the retailer where you purchased your timepiece to address this issue.

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please simply get back in touch!
So I'm just going to follow this advice and measure the accuracy on a daily basis! Whatever it is, I find it totally disappointing!
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:14   #3482

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
So I'm just going to follow this advice and measure the accuracy on a daily basis! Whatever it is, I find it totally disappointing!

Hmm. Is yours the manual or the automatic? How many hours does it retain power after being fully wound?

I got a tangente manual alpha caliber a couple of weeks ago while in Germany. Though it's supposed to have a power reserve of 43 hours mine runs out of power in about 20 hours. Wrote to NOMOS. Now that I'm back in INDIA they asked me to show it to ethos once as they are their authorised reseller in INDIA.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 11:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 3rd June 2018, 12:04   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Hmm. Is yours the manual or the automatic? How many hours does it retain power after being fully wound?

I got a tangente manual alpha caliber a couple of weeks ago while in Germany. Though it's supposed to have a power reserve of 43 hours mine runs out of power in about 20 hours. Wrote to NOMOS. Now that I'm back in INDIA they asked me to show it to ethos once as they are their authorised reseller in INDIA.
I have the Tangente hand wound model with the Alpha caliber, same like yours. I did not measure how long the power lasted as I made it a habbit to wind it every morning - which means it lasted for atleast 24 hours or more at the minimum.

You should get your watch checked as 20 Hours seems way too low!

Now my Tangente is 2 minutes ahead of the actual time. It gained this 2 minutes in a span of 1 day. I guess it has to be de-magnetized. Will let the dealer do it this week.
Old 4th June 2018, 07:10   #3484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Hmm, I've never found the NOMOS appealing.. not a fan of the Bauhaus at the price point that the company sells at. Its highly regarded in watch forums though mainly due to the fact that they went all in-house and stuck to mostly manual winding movements which appealed to the base requirements of the horologists. Its a company that started out with ETA calibers at very soft pricing but today this 25 year old company compete in pricing with much much older brands like Baume & Mercier, Omega and Cartier at the low end, and with much bigger brands like JLC, IWC and Blancpain in the high end.. to me brands from established horology houses like Richemont and Swatch is a no-brainer, obviously for reasons such as quality control and having their own testing standards.

A manual wind is supposed to be much more reliable and accurate compared to automatic windings but even then if NOMOS has problems like losing accuracy and lower power reserve (43 hours is low as it is) then it shows that their testing isn't at all stringent. The standard of accuracy according to Swiss Chronometer certification is -4/+6, i.e a max of - 2 minutes or + 3 minutes a month, anything more means that it isn't according to the standards. The only 2 great German brands are Glasutte Original and A.Lange & Sohne.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th June 2018 at 07:12.
Old 4th June 2018, 11:00   #3485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Look no further than Barton watch straps...
Thanks for the recommendation.

Great product and top-class customer service. They shipped me a replacement when India Post lost the original package.

My favorite watch is back in service.

Which watch do you own?-img_20180604_105410680_edited.jpeg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th June 2018 at 11:02.
Old 4th June 2018, 11:35   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Great product and top-class customer service. They shipped me a replacement when India Post lost the original package.

My favorite watch is back in service.
Great to hear that you liked the product. Barton is a value for money brand for sure. Disappointed to hear about your experience with India Post though

Anyway, all's well that ends well!
Old 4th June 2018, 14:41   #3487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great to hear that you liked the product. Barton is a value for money brand for sure. Disappointed to hear about your experience with India Post though

Anyway, all's well that ends well!
Even i ordered a premium silicon strap 20mm for my seiko after your recommendation. Received it in 3 weeks and very happy with it. It is soft and supple and is very comfortable on the skin. Thanks!
Old 4th June 2018, 14:47   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even i ordered a premium silicon strap 20mm for my seiko after your recommendation. Received it in 3 weeks and very happy with it. It is soft and supple and is very comfortable on the skin. Thanks!
Fantastic! I am using the Elite Silicone strap on my Seiko Samurai, and it is really super comfortable (even better than the stock Seiko strap which itself is quite premium, but too long for my comfort).

Planning to order a couple of more of their straps for a few of my other watches shortly.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:37   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Did you guys order it from Barton's website or from Amazon? Is Barton US based company? Do we have to pay additional taxes on it in case we order it? Are there any good places to buy watch straps in Mumbai? I would like to see the product before buying them.

Also did you guys put the strap on the watch yourself? Or went to some local shop to get it on your watch? Barton's website looks good!

Last edited by Saanil : 5th June 2018 at 11:39.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:43   #3490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Did you guys order it from Barton's website or from Amazon? Is Barton US based company? Do we have to pay additional taxes on it in case we order it? Are there any good places to buy watch straps in Mumbai? I would like to see the product before buying them.

Also did you guys put the strap on the watch yourself? Or went to some local shop to get it on your watch? Barton's website looks good!
Ordered from Barton website. No additional taxes were levied.
I did not have the tool to remove the existing strap . So got it changed from a local watch shop for 20 bucks. Once the barton strap is installed you can remove it yourself since there is a spring loaded tab.
Old 5th June 2018, 14:55   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

Ordered it directly from Barton website- their process is really smooth and fuss free. There is a 2 USD shipping charge internationally. Barton is based in the USA. No additional taxes other than shipping charges, no customs et al.

Barton straps all carry quick release spring bars, which are a doddle to put on and take off. In fact, the quick release bars are the USP of Barton straps.

To take off your original strap, you will need a spring bar tool which is also available at any watch repair shop locally, if you want to do it yourself. Or you can get it done at that local shop if you are not interested in the hands on experience.
Old 5th June 2018, 16:16   #3492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mechanical (Hand wind or Automatic) watches are always a shock to the generation coming from Quartz watches. They are expensive, inaccurate and require periodic maintenance.

Unfortunately maintenance part mechanical watch is seldom highlighted. Any mechanical watch will require a servicing in about 5 years time. The watch is taken apart and all the parts are cleaned and lubricated. And it is expensive. Funny thing is that it does not matter if the watch is sitting in the warehouse or actively worn. Lubricants dry up never the less. So always find the year of manufacture of the watch to keep a track of time when the servicing is due.

Here there is a distinction between the in house movements vs Industry standard movements like Unitas and Miyotas. The in house movements in variably have to be serviced at the designated authorized service centers and hence are more expensive.

If you go for servicing that is. In my case, I bought an out of production watch which was put on clearance. It was at least 5 years old. And the cost of servicing quoted by the Authorized dealer was more than the cost of watch itself.
So I am going to wear it till it stops and then move on to some new watch.

By the way that Nomos Tangente is a sweet watch. I might try to buy some homage version. Lord bless China.

Trivia: Rolex recently increased the service duration of the watches from 5 yrs to 10 yrs. They maybe realized that making people spend huge money on servicing watches is not going to win them fans.

Last edited by download2live : 5th June 2018 at 16:23.
Old 5th June 2018, 16:26   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Mechanical watches are always a shock to the generation coming from Quartz watches. They are expensive, inaccurate and require periodic maintenance.

By the way that Nomos Tangente is a sweet watch. I might try to buy some homage version. Lord bless China.
Before I got into the NOMOS Tangente, I was aware of the in accuracy of mechanical watches and the cost if takes to maintain them after a certain period of time. After doing a through research for over a year, contemplating between a Rolex Oyster 34mm Date, NOMOS Tangente, I went for the Tangente. For its price point and quality, I hesitated to spend that additional 4k Euros for a Rolex.

I wouldn't have bothered if my NOMOS ran fast after say 4 years, but within a month of purchase, the watch running fast by 3 minutes in 2 days is not acceptable. I travel a lot these days which means that I have to pass through the security scanners at the Airport quite often and this could have resulted in my watch being magnetised which in turn could make it run faster. Should the watch run faster due to some other reasons other than magnetisation, I will make sure that I either get a replacement or get this one properly fixed.
Old 5th June 2018, 17:24   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
make sure that I either get a replacement or get this one properly fixed.
As long as it is under warranty you should be good. Usually it just needs an adjustment.

Trivia again: Mechanical watches are adjusted to run a little fast when they leave factory. As oil breaks down and things get cloggy watch slows down a bit. So there is a period when mechanical watch keeps very accurate time. And then it starts to lose time.

At this price point I would have urged you to look at Grand Seiko. They are legendary for their accuracy and long service intervals. Only thing is that they are a bit bland.

And you didn't post pics of your watch. Or did I miss them.
Old 5th June 2018, 17:50   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Mechanical (Hand wind or Automatic) watches are always a shock to the generation coming from Quartz watches. They are expensive, inaccurate and require periodic maintenance.

Unfortunately maintenance part mechanical watch is seldom highlighted.
I own a quartz watch and am simply amazed by the minimal maintenance they demand except for battery changes. I want to own a mechanical watch and I think it is best for me to start with a cheap mechanical watch and move on to high end brands only when I am comfortable with their mode of operation. I am not sure but I think Citizen/Seiko/Orient/HMT brands cater to entry level mechanical watches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks