Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 18:42   #3601
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

@navin_V8; and @arindambasu13; Remember it was Seiko which gave the Japanese the bridgehead. At one time the Siss started cribbing that the Japs had faster movement speeds to attack the Swiss. Do not heat that any more.

Remember a class mechanical watch requires precision engineering of the highest calibre. Remember only recent Omega brought in Coaxial Movements.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:46   #3602
BHPian

Read through a few posts last weekend...as usual, caused wallet damage since I absolutely had to order a Orient Bambino V4

I opted for registered post shipping without box from Creationwatches since the duties with Fedex/DHL are becoming prohibitive. That was an inspired move - got away with zero duties and only took a week to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20180713_071746.jpg  

Last edited by d_himan : 14th July 2018 at 09:56.
Old 14th July 2018, 11:13   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Read through a few posts last weekend...as usual, caused wallet damage since I absolutely had to order a Orient Bambino V4

I opted for registered post shipping without box from Creationwatches since the duties with Fedex/DHL are becoming prohibitive. That was an inspired move - got away with zero duties and only took a week to arrive.
Class watch, my friend. The Bambino is and will remain one of the best entry level automatic dress watches which punch way above their price point in terms of build quality and design. Love the sunburst blue on this model

By the way, how do you enable this option of shipping without package and how exactly does it result in customs duty not being levied? Will be very interesting to know more about this and helpful for all of us watch fans!
Old 14th July 2018, 12:29   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Class watch, my friend. The Bambino is and will remain one of the best entry level automatic dress watches which punch way above their price point in terms of build quality and design. Love the sunburst blue on this model

By the way, how do you enable this option of shipping without package and how exactly does it result in customs duty not being levied? Will be very interesting to know more about this and helpful for all of us watch fans!
thanks! During checkout, you can choose the shipping option. Likelihood of customs checking and levying duties on non-bulky registered mail packages is low. FedEX or DHL etc, there's no escaping.
Old 16th July 2018, 14:38   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember a class mechanical watch requires precision engineering of the highest calibre. Remember only recent Omega brought in Coaxial Movements.
With all due respect the Spring Drive mechanical movements are unique to Seiko as they have made and perfected it with their 9S and 9R spring drive movements used in their Grand Seiko line. If not the best they are equally better like Omega's Coaxial movement. Seiko's proprietary Spring Drive combines mechanical robustness with quartz accuracy in one package.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:57   #3606
BHPian

Although the Seiko spring drives are extremely good, they are not purely mechanical movements. The oscillations are electronically regulated. Hence, do we consider them at par with other purely mechanical high end movements ?
Old 17th July 2018, 10:57   #3607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Although the Seiko spring drives are extremely good, they are not purely mechanical movements. The oscillations are electronically regulated. Hence, do we consider them at par with other purely mechanical high end movements ?
Mate that is why I said, "Seiko's proprietary Spring Drive combines mechanical robustness with quartz accuracy in one package."

For pure mechanical movement, Seiko has the 9S series of movements which are equally good compared to pure Swiss mechanical movements. One of them is the Seiko Hi-Beat 9S85 movement. The standards used in this movement meets Grand Seiko standards which are much higher and stricter than Swiss chronometer certification standards.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th July 2018 at 10:59.
Old 30th July 2018, 16:12   #3608
BHPian

Hi,
Can anyone opine on this watch by Ciga Design that won the Red Dot Design award. Looks quite nice in the pictures.
Would be good if someone can throw more light on the movement - accuracy & durability, life of the watch, etc.

https://www.banggood.com/XIAOMI-CIGA...r_warehouse=CN

Link to a what seems like sponsored review:

Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:00   #3609
Distinguished - BHPian

Which watch do you own

Funnily it is not shown in this list of all 2018 red dot watch awards?

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/36149/click
Old 31st July 2018, 17:18   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Funnily it is not shown in this list of all 2018 red dot watch awards?

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/36149/click
This version won the award last year - 2017. Here's the link: https://quillandpad.com/2017/05/31/c...watch-winners/
Old 31st July 2018, 17:43   #3611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
This version won the award last year - 2017. Here's the link: https://quillandpad.com/2017/05/31/c...watch-winners/

No wonder I could not find it. It is a nice watch!
I get most of my “watch updates” from this site https://www.hodinkee.com. It has a very nice app that works really well.

Jeroen
Old 31st July 2018, 19:28   #3612
BHPian

I know a lot has already been discussed on this topic but just wanted to make sure I understood this right.
1)Mechanical/Automatic watches will need maintenance and the up keep costs are expensive irrespective of the brand

2)Quartz watches tend to run longer without the need for expensive maintenance.

Is my understanding correct?
Old 31st July 2018, 20:35   #3613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I know a lot has already been discussed on this topic but just wanted to make sure I understood this right.
1)Mechanical/Automatic watches will need maintenance and the up keep costs are expensive irrespective of the brand
If not dropped, the automatic / mechanical watch will run. It needs servicing once in 2 years or so - I think they add a bit of oil for lubrication.

I initially went to Ethos, but their charges are like 25% of cost of watch for servicing. Now trying out a small shop in Jayanagar 9th block. He has been ok so far, waiting for my watch to come back. ( I have a Seiko 5 Sports AT)
Old 31st July 2018, 20:42   #3614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If not dropped, the automatic / mechanical watch will run. It needs servicing once in 2 years or so - I think they add a bit of oil for lubrication.
Thanks. Spent a good part of my life without wearing a watch. I must be growing old, because now I have a new found inclination to start wearing one. Until today (just happened upon this thread) I had no clue maintaining a Rolex was not a "light on the pocket" affair.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:18   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The frequency is usually anywhere between 5-8 years (2 years is an unusually short timeframe), depending upon the usage of the watch, its construction quality and of course, whether the piece has sustained any specific damage. Also, refurbishing the lubricants is only part of the service. Many parts in the movement might need replacement, cleaning etc. all of which are undertaken during the service. Usually the complete movement is taken apart, and reassembled after the replacements, cleaning and lubrication are completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Thanks. Spent a good part of my life without wearing a watch. I must be growing old, because now I have a new found inclination to start wearing one. Until today (just happened upon this thread) I had no clue maintaining a Rolex was not a "light on the pocket" affair.
A quartz watch will require battery replacement every two years or so, generally speaking. A mechanical watch requires service every 5-8 years and generally, the higher the cost of the watch and the greater the number of its complications, the servicing costs tend to proportionately rise. The reason why watch enthusiasts are drawn more to mechanical than quartz is simply because the craftsmanship and complications in a mechanical watch are, generally speaking, far higher and requires a higher involvement of the watch maker as you go higher up the price ladder. There are notable exceptions to the aforesaid general positions, of course. For someone who just wants to tell the time in a no fuss way, a quartz is more than enough watch. Different story for watch nerds!

And yes, maintaining and servicing a Rolex is a costly business, and not for the faint of wallet.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 1st August 2018 at 09:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks