Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2018, 13:16   #3526

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Just to compare, there is the NOMOS Lambda with rose-gold and open case-back for about 14 lacs odd before discounts, this from a 25 year old manufacturer.. in comparison the A.Lange & Sohne Saxonia with the same 18k pink gold and hand-wound movement, which many consider the ultimate dress watch, is available for about 10.75 lacs before discount. Lange has the heritage of being a nearly 175 year old company, it has the reputation of making movements that none of the "big 3" can come close to and its all hand-made and engraved in their Glashutte factory as well. I wouldn't look at a NOMOS even with a 80% discount in that case.

Agree 100% in that case. Lange is a brand whose design I really love myself also so no comparison there.

On another note what I love about this thread is the various members discovering these beautiful watches (not necessarily well known brands) which have been in their possession / their families and using them. Love coming across those posts.
Old 8th June 2018, 14:10   #3527
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Congratulations!

Looks more or less similar to Oyster Perpetual. What are the dimensions of this watch? How much did you get it for and which year is it?
I got it from my Dad. Its a late 80's/early 90's model, Airking 5500, he bought it in early 90's if i recall correctly. 34mm case size.
Old 8th June 2018, 22:19   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
I got it from my Dad. Its a late 80's/early 90's model, Airking 5500, he bought it in early 90's if i recall correctly. 34mm case size.
That looks priceless man!

Have you got an idea which movement it has? I have been considering getting the Oyster Date 34mm which has the 3135 movement. Just wanted to know if this movement from Rolex is a time tested one.

How accurate is your Rolex running? Would be interested to know! What sort of strap is that?
Old 9th June 2018, 21:20   #3529
Distinguished - BHPian

Plenty of horology fans here, gives me a chance to bring forth so much of great history behind the keepers of time and the obvious links between the "independents" like Audemars Piguet, Patek, Zenith (formerly independent) etc before their various stages of acquisitions or of being acquired. Three luxury houses today control 90% of the entire luxury watch market - they are LVMH (Louis-Vuitton-Moet-Hennessey), Richemont Group and Swatch Group.

There are 2 people I admire the most in the horology industry, one is Georges Kern, who was responsible for merging the 3 sisters of haute horologerie - IWC, A.Lange and Jaeger-LeCoultre into the Richemont portfolio and today these 3 brands amount to a massive portion of the overall profits of the group. He has also been head of IWC, Baume & Mercier and Roger Dubuis within the group. Today he is the CEO of Breitling (a HUGE downgrade) but I suppose money and autonomy in decision making might've played a big role in the change.

The second is a bigger name, and a more experienced person in the luxury watch scene - Jean-Claude Biver. A business enthusiast will always get the thrills listening to him. Groomed within the Audemars Piguet group, and mentored by the Piguet family themselves, he sniffed out an opportunity and convinced Jacques Piguet into buying the rights to a then dead brand like Blancpain which was known as the oldest organized watchmaker in existence, which was done at a cheap price and then sold it to the Swatch Group at an insanely high profit. This is why most Blancpain watches today, have Frederic Piguet movements, specially the 100 hour power reserve of the Villeret line. He then was responsible for the resurgence of Omega post his joining into the Swatch Group and tripled their sales. He then jumped to the LVMH group and powered the sales of Hublot (not much of a success but Hublots give maximum profits to the group) and now is the CEO of TAG Heuer, a company he makes fun of, himself for being inconsistent and an almost-disaster in terms of positioning. An entertaining guy to chat with though.

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th June 2018 at 21:23.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 10:03   #3530
BHPian

Is this website genuine?

https://www.hmtwatches.in/18/product...echl-gents.htm
Old 11th June 2018, 10:14   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Yes, its a genuine Website. Based out of Bangalore. Have ordered numerous watches from them.
Old 11th June 2018, 12:09   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
And its out of stock! Many thanks for notifying me. How did you know that this watch came back in stock? Just luckily landed on its page or do you have some way of tracking this?
HMT Janata Back in stock. https://www.hmtwatches.in/1056/produ...wd-mlky-ls.htm

Also grateful if any watch aficionado from Banglore can check availability of HMT Pilot in their brick and mortar store. I am keen on acquiring one.

Last edited by roamer012 : 11th June 2018 at 12:11.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:33   #3533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Hey thanks Arindam.. Basis your suggestion, will get it from someone coming from the US. With the savings, I might even buy 2 instead of 1 ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I bought my Bambino from the Amazon India store, cost me about 15K last year. They import it from the US and deliver it to you. Takes about a week or so. You will end up paying about 30-35% more than if you bought it in the USA.

If you are still looking for a Bambino, try the Orient India website - they have a sale going on and I placed an order for Bambino Version 4 (SAC08002F0) at 12.7K (incl shipping).

Still not as cheap as longislandwatches, but one of the better deals if you want to buy it from India.

Now the wait starts.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 12th June 2018 at 12:36.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:41   #3534
BHPian

An interesting thing happened in office yesterday. I was with a colleague in the office cafeteria when I noticed that she was wearing an Omega watch. I casually asked her about it and based upon what she told me, I am getting a feeling that it is probably a fake. She told me that she bought it from Lifestyle for 16k. I have been to a couple of Lifestyle stores and have never seen Omega watches being sold. Plus the price of 16k seems too good to be true. She says that there was a special 50% discount being offered on Omega watches i.e. the actual cost was about 32k. It was a Seamaster 300 chronometer version but I was not able to locate her particular model online. I always thought Omega watches are usually >1lakh in price. Is it possible that Omega has few quartz models below 50k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If you are still looking for a Bambino, try the Orient India website - they have a sale going on and I placed an order for Bambino Version 4 (SAC08002F0) at 12.7K (incl shipping).
Awesome watch! Which color have you bought? Green? Blue? Black?
Old 12th June 2018, 15:13   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - I bought the green one.

--Anoop
Old 12th June 2018, 17:15   #3536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting thing happened in office yesterday. I was with a colleague in the office cafeteria when I noticed that she was wearing an Omega watch. I casually asked her about it and based upon what she told me, I am getting a feeling that it is probably a fake. She told me that she bought it from Lifestyle for 16k.
Within my limited knowledge, I do not think that Omega has sold any watch in that price range at any time in the last few decades. You can safely tell your friend that she has been had and what she is wearing is certainly not a genuine Omega. [Not sure about quartz models though, quartz models are anyways few and far between, and even then, I don't think would fall within the price range that you mentioned]

And yes, I don't think Lifestyle sells Omega. Big ticket brands like Rolex and Omega are very choosy about distributors and retailers and other than their own stand alone stores, sell only through very well recognised and sector specific watch stores across the world.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th June 2018 at 17:17.
Old 13th June 2018, 10:59   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting thing happened in office yesterday. I was with a colleague in the office cafeteria when I noticed that she was wearing an Omega watch. I casually asked her about it and based upon what she told me, I am getting a feeling that it is probably a fake. She told me that she bought it from Lifestyle for 16k. I have been to a couple of Lifestyle stores and have never seen Omega watches being sold. Plus the price of 16k seems too good to be true. She says that there was a special 50% discount being offered on Omega watches i.e. the actual cost was about 32k. It was a Seamaster 300 chronometer version but I was not able to locate her particular model online. I always thought Omega watches are usually >1lakh in price. Is it possible that Omega has few quartz models below 50k?

It is definitely a fake, you do not even get a decent Tissot or Seiko for that price.. The lowest price for an Omega that I have seen online is USD 1,500/. In India it is about Rs.1,20,000/

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch...sc&order=price
https://www.ethoswatches.com/brands/..._source=Google
https://www.kapoorwatch.com/brands/omega
Old 16th June 2018, 11:03   #3538
Distinguished - BHPian

But of a bummer. Earlier this week I strapped on my gorgeous Meister Singer. About a day later I noticed the glass had fallen off! What is even more annoying, this happened before! I bought it in 2013 and a few months after I bought it the same thing happened. They fixed it at no cost. Let us see what they say this time.

Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1529127184.754728.jpg
Old 16th June 2018, 11:38   #3539
Senior - BHPian

My wife gifted me the below watch on my birthday.

Model No: T063.617.22.037.00

TISSOT T CLASSIC TRADITION
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20180612_091855.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 16th June 2018 at 11:51.
Old 16th June 2018, 12:22   #3540
BHPian

Over the past few days, I have been seeing many pictures of Rolex watches. One thing which interested me was the bezel on many Rolex watches which are supposed to help you calculate time in other geographies. These watches are called the GMT watches. I saw some videos on youtube about how the bezel and the GMT hand can be used to decipher time on some other country. In all the videos, they took examples of two countries which were separated by whole hours i.e. 3/4/5 hours. But if we consider London and Mumbai where a 4.5 hour time gap exists, will the watch be able to reflect that? Can the GMT watches show time gaps of 30 minutes? Sorry if I am asking a very stupid question.

Anybody here owns a Rolex? I wanted to know the price of the cheapest Rolex. is it possible to get a genuine Rolex in 3-4 lakhs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks