Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2018, 09:13   #3406
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Picked up this automatic Seiko SNK807.
Very nice! If you don't mind, could you share how much you paid for it? Also, did you buy it online or from a brick & mortar store?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th April 2018, 09:42   #3407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice choice. Blue dialled watches are my favourite as well. The SNK will pair well with a huge variety of straps as and when you feel like getting a new look for your watch. Only wish the 7S26 movement came with hacking and hand winding, but otherwise, the movement is legendary for its robustness.

You can check out the Tissot Visodate for your next purchase. Its an entry level dress watch and looks great.
Thanks Arindam. Any recommendations for a brown leather strap? Barton ones looked pretty good.

For Tissot, I am actually open to Quartz as well as long as it's under 40mm. Cause the watch will be used only for occasional use. Will have to wind it everytime I take it out.

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...16-441-00.html

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...11-057-00.html

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...16-057-00.html

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...101605700.html

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...16-051-00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Very nice! If you don't mind, could you share how much you paid for it? Also, did you buy it online or from a brick & mortar store?

Cheers,
Vikram
I got it from Amazon USa for $70 through a friend who was flying down.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:08   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arindam. Any recommendations for a brown leather strap? Barton ones looked pretty good.
Yes I would recommend Barton as well. They have a nice variety of leather straps including 3-4 shades of brown. Easy to install due to the quick release mechanism as well. In fact, Im thinking of getting one for myself for my Seiko SARB033!
Old 19th April 2018, 10:20   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For Tissot, I am actually open to Quartz as well as long as it's under 40mm. Cause the watch will be used only for occasional use. Will have to wind it everytime I take it out.
Tissot is a good entry level swiss brand. I like the Tissot T Classic PR 100 as I am a little biased towards dress watches. It looks classy and less flashy and will go well with formal as well as semi casual attire.

For the leather straps you can try strapcode.com
Old 19th April 2018, 12:09   #3410
BANNED

@navin_v8; Tissot was the low end brand of SSIH (Omega). Remember dress watches are bought more for the image, than anything else. Even an inexpensive quartz watch keeps excellent time. I have a lot of Omegas' in the family and recently I got the Speedmaster Professional (Original Moonwatch) serviced. Cost me about 75k, but has been restored to new. I was put on to the Omega service centre in Delhi by Dr Sengupta (SS-Traveller). We had failed for the past seven years to find service for it. I had tried Kolkata, Lucknow, etc with no luck. This watch was bought by me in Geneva in 1974 for all of CHF795.

One thing I may add that Omega/Swatch want everything original, incl the strap, etc.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th April 2018 at 12:26.
Old 19th April 2018, 14:22   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The watch came back and he is now using it. The Image is attached. Looks absolutely pristine, esp for a 1975 watch. As I did not have my camera I used the mobile, so the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Beautiful watch.

Quote:
....I got the Speedmaster Professional (Original Moonwatch) serviced. Cost me about 75k....
But, a small correction. The watch you linked in the first post is Omega Speedmaster Mark 3 with an automatic movement. It is not the original Moonwatch. A Speedmaster Moonwatch runs a manual wind movement and the case shape is different as well as the position of subidials, and looks like this:

Which watch do you own?-3113042300100520large.jpg
Old 19th April 2018, 14:28   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@navin_v8; Tissot was the low end brand of SSIH (Omega). Remember dress watches are bought more for the image, than anything else. Even an inexpensive quartz watch keeps excellent time.
Yes Tissot watch makes a good entry level swiss watch for someone looking at getting into watch collection. There are some not overly expensive dress watches that punch way above their weight, some of them are from Seiko Presage and SARB series. The best part I like about Seiko watches is that they do everything in house and that includes their very own movements unlike most Swiss Watches which use ETA movements common among them barring Patek Philippe, JLC, VC, Zenith, etc. Also quartz watches aren't to be underestimated case in point is the out of this world spring drive by Seiko. A special edition was made by Seiko called the Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk which was used at the International Space Station.

Quote:
One thing I may add that Omega/Swatch want everything original, incl the strap, etc.
I am not sure about if they do so even now, as like most Swiss watch companies they too have started using the ETA movements which are not their in house movements.
Old 19th April 2018, 15:38   #3413
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
But, a small correction. The watch you linked in the first post is Omega Speedmaster Mark 3 with an automatic movement. It is not the original Moonwatch. A Speedmaster Moonwatch runs a manual wind movement and the case shape is different as well as the position of subidials, and looks like this:

Attachment 1753291
You are right. It was first Automatic Speedmaster. Also, the case was particularly heavy when compared with its predecessor. It was about 50CHF cheaper. One thing you did no mention was that the glass was flat and not domed.
Old 20th April 2018, 10:40   #3414
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to gift my father a watch on his birthday. I was hoping to get some suggestions from watch experts here. Following are the requirements:

a) No fashion brands.
b) Size of the dial/case should be <=38mm. My dad tried my 42mm watch but it looked quite big on his wrist. He is quite short on height and a big dial will not look good on him.
c) Leather strap/steel bracelet is okay with him.
d) Movement can be quartz or Automatic. I am not sure if he will be okay with an Automatic but he is open to the idea of using it.
e) He will be wearing the watch to office so should be formal and classy.
f) Budget is less than 70k.

My father once bought a Rado many years back but when it stopped functioning he did not buy a new watch. So he is not into a habit of wearing a watch daily. I checked out Ethos’ website and specifically checked Omega but unfortunately it was out of my budget. Any suggestions?
Old 20th April 2018, 11:15   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Saanil,

If possible, your best bet would be to get the watch carried by someone from the USA. In my hunt for good automatic watches of varied genres, I have found that US is one of the cheapest, as compared to India or Europe.

From your description, it appears that your dad will prefer a watch from the dress watch genre. You can perhaps consider the Seiko Presage Cocktail Time series ,though these are 40 mm in size. This is available in Ethos, as far as I am aware.

Another great other option is the Seiko SARB series 033 or 035, though these have been officially discontinued a month or two back, there is still a lot of inventory lying around. Its an understated black/white dial watch, from the famed JDM (Japanese domestic market). The finishing on this watch is exquisite given its price point of about 350-400 USD. Really value for money piece, and punches way above its price bracket. Quite classy, and pairs well with all kinds of straps, though it comes with a good quality steel bracelet OEM.This piece is not available in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
a) No fashion brands.
b) Size of the dial/case should be <=38mm. My dad tried my 42mm watch but it looked quite big on his wrist. He is quite short on height and a big dial will not look good on him.
c) Leather strap/steel bracelet is okay with him.
d) Movement can be quartz or Automatic. I am not sure if he will be okay with an Automatic but he is open to the idea of using it.
e) He will be wearing the watch to office so should be formal and classy.
f) Budget is less than 70k.

My father once bought a Rado many years back but when it stopped functioning he did not buy a new watch. So he is not into a habit of wearing a watch daily. I checked out Ethos’ website and specifically checked Omega but unfortunately it was out of my budget. Any suggestions?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th April 2018 at 11:45.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:50   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am planning to gift my father a watch on his birthday. I was hoping to get some suggestions from watch experts here. Following are the requirements:
Apologies for back to back posts, but another couple of suggestions.

If you are looking at the INR 70K price category, you should definitely look at the brands Junghans, Stowa and Sinn. All three are German brands, and offer awesome value for money. Junghans and Stowa especially have some great dress watches/ everyday formal watches. Sinn is more of a tool watch/ sports watch brand, though. All of them have great options in the 38-40 mm size range.

Stowa offers the added benefit of personalising the watch so if its a gift for your Dad, the personalisation bit will be a kicker! Check out the Stowa website, if for nothing else than just to see how a nice online watch boutique should be established! The online store will allow you to browse the various models available.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:03   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like your dad has a liking from Swiss timepieces from what I read. If he is not into a habit of wearing a watch daily then a mechanical watch would not be advisable. Most automatic mechanical watches have a power reserve in the range of 36-52 hours depending on the day to day activity. A quartz watch will keep good time besides needing no adjustment if the watch lays unused for a couple of days. In your budget you can find some good timepieces from Tissot (T Classic line of watches), Fredrique Constant (37mm Model No: FC-245M4S6 slim line series of watches), Rado (Florence line of watches), Longines (Elegance line of watches), Raymond Weil (Tocatta line of watches), etc. Note that all the brands listed are Swiss watch companies.

If looking for Japanese brands don't look further than Seiko and Citizen as they too have some fantastic quality quartz line up.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:48   #3418
Team-BHP Support

If small size is a must-have, and occasional use means a quartz movement would be better suited, check out the Longines Le Grand Classique line.

36-38mm case size, simple and elegant designs. Dad has had one for nearly two decades now. Robust and long-lasting with minimal maintenance.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:53   #3419
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a nice Tissot or Longines. Both have very good options in both quartz & Automatic in your price band

Personally even a nice Seiko automatic / kinetic or Citizen Blue Angels type eco-drive might work.
Old 20th April 2018, 13:56   #3420
BHPian

Have a question about a Seiko automatic i picked up a few years back. I dont use it regularly, when I do, it automatically starts working but I always seem to have to adjust the time. If kept without use it soon loses the time and needs to be adjusted again. Is this a faulty capacitor (something internal), has anyone else faced this issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks