Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 10:43   #3661
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
I recently picked up the G-Shock GW9400 Rangeman. Great for my usage, which is basically a rough daily driver and a Tommy used to do the job back then.
Is this the latest Rangemean which has been just released in the past few months? Or is this the older version (red and black case)? Do post some good pics and if possible, share the costs as well.

The Rangeman is one of my favourite higher end G Shocks, but the large size has deterred me from picking it up.
Old 24th August 2018, 12:33   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Is this the latest Rangemean which has been just released in the past few months? Or is this the older version (red and black case)? Do post some good pics and if possible, share the costs as well.

The Rangeman is one of my favourite higher end G Shocks, but the large size has deterred me from picking it up.
No this isn't the latest one with GPS. That is a pretty penny for me. I figured if I'd spend that much on a watch, I'd get a nice dress watch instead.

Either way, I rather like the large size and it is extremely comfortable. It was about 14 grand from Amazon and the price doesn't change much during the sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-d3db596d0482439183278eddaddf0a26.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_6062.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-d188ca8fcc254dabb903adc4897edf60.jpg  

Old 26th September 2018, 18:38   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thats indeed quite expensive relative to the price of the watch. The time taken is also quite long. But I guess that is the cost of approaching the high end watch dealers and authorised Seiko service centres? The price will probably buy you peace of mind in a way.
I got aftermarket crown and stem for my SKX, paid $12 for the same. I just need a repair shop to fix it. It is simple work and I may try the shop you mentioned.

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2018 at 07:39. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 27th September 2018, 07:21   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I have PM'ed you! Try not to get it online. I would advice to buy it from a shop where you have the chance to try it and then buy it!

I should have updated this earlier, but well..better late than never.

After looking at Nomos for some time, I ended up buying a Carl. F. Bucherer Adamavi.

I was on the way to my trip to Germany and Austria. At Bangalore airport, i just stopped to check out the collection at the Ethos outlet, and ended picking this up there. Later I checked the prices in Germany as well as Austria for both Nomos and the Bucherer, I am quite convinced that the best prices are in India (I could be mistaken, since I have checked only these three places)
Old 27th September 2018, 08:37   #3665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
After looking at Nomos for some time, I ended up buying a Carl. F. Bucherer Adamavi.
Good choice, Bucherer is certainly much much higher on the prestige scale than Nomos which is too young a brand to even count for something. In my opinion Swiss watchmaking still has that finesse and expertise which no German brand can match.
Old 27th September 2018, 19:57   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
I should have updated this earlier, but well..better late than never.

I was on the way to my trip to Germany and Austria. At Bangalore airport, i just stopped to check out the collection at the Ethos outlet, and ended picking this up there. Later I checked the prices in Germany as well as Austria for both Nomos and the Bucherer, I am quite convinced that the best prices are in India (I could be mistaken, since I have checked only these three places)
Congratulations on your watch! Would you mind posting a shot of your watch?

I was just wondering how the prices for the watches that were Made in Germany could be cheaper in India! I just checked the price of a Nomos Tangente in Germany which is at 1600 while the Ethos sells it at 1.75L

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...gente-164.html

If I apply todays conversion rate between the Euro and Rupee, I can get the watch here in Germany for 1.35L and that comes to a whopping 50K difference!

I'm not sure if NOMOS watches could be had for a Sale!
Old 27th September 2018, 21:15   #3667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
I recently picked up the G-Shock GW9400 Rangeman. Great for my usage, which is basically a rough daily driver and a Tommy used to do the job back then.

Only thing I don't like is that I have to keep the watch aside for about half an hour for an accurate temperature reading.
Exactly the same model i have decided to buy.
During the offer last month, it has been sold for Rs. 12XXX / 20% discount at Chennai casio shop as well online.
I checked it personally last month and was in dilemma to buy this or some gulfmaster series that day, hence refrained from billing it.
My preferences are Full Digital, Triple Sensor (must), Solar etc. and this is the only model with 3 sensors and pure digital, yep Range-man too
Hopefully add to my collections very soon.

Military Green color is also good in this model. but black is classy.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 27th September 2018 at 21:16.
Old 27th September 2018, 21:31   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Congratulations on your watch! Would you mind posting a shot of your watch?

I was just wondering how the prices for the watches that were Made in Germany could be cheaper in India! I just checked the price of a Nomos Tangente in Germany which is at 1600 while the Ethos sells it at 1.75L

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...gente-164.html

If I apply todays conversion rate between the Euro and Rupee, I can get the watch here in Germany for 1.35L and that comes to a whopping 50K difference!

I'm not sure if NOMOS watches could be had for a Sale!
Thank you joe1980! I will soon post a pic of my watch.

Just to be clear, Ethos outlet at BLR airport did not have Nomos, else most likely I would have bought it, since that was my first choice.

Ethos did offer me an 18% discount on the prices they listed on their website, and the airport outlet gave another discount on top of the 18%. Only thing is, airport outlet had only Bucherer from my short-listed models(Nomos, Bucherer and Omega)

So all put together, the prices were less than what I found at typical shopping-mall outlets in Vienna and Munich. I am not sure if there are some specific outlets in Germany that could be offering special discounts. It is possible.
Old 27th September 2018, 22:47   #3669
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you joe1980! I will soon post a pic of my watch.

Just to be clear, Ethos outlet at BLR airport did not have Nomos, else most likely I would have bought it, since that was my first choice.

Ethos did offer me an 18% discount on the prices they listed on their website, and the airport outlet gave another discount on top of the 18%. Only thing is, airport outlet had only Bucherer from my short-listed models(Nomos, Bucherer and Omega)

So all put together, the prices were less than what I found at typical shopping-mall outlets in Vienna and Munich. I am not sure if there are some specific outlets in Germany that could be offering special discounts. It is possible.
I bought my NOMOS at the Wempe store in Düsseldorf and this store is famous among tourists as they sell mostly luxury wrist watches and when I got my NOMOS, I first went for the stainless steel back and got a 60 Euro discount upon request. Later I decided to get the crystal case back and went to Wempe and asked them if they could replace it and they immediately contacted NOMOS and for an additional sum, they did the replacement. So for me in the end for the price of a Tangente with the crystal clear back, I also got the stainless steel back as a replacement and the 60 Euro discount.

So getting a discount for luxury items depends on the situation. One of my friend wanted to get a Rolex Oyster Date 34mm and he told me that he has been trying hard to get a couple of hundred Euros discount on a new piece and he could not so far! So getting a discount depends on the situation and for certain items, you simply don't get! I guess for Rolex, Patek Philippe to give a discount would tamper their brand image! I guess these guys might be crazy like Louis Vuitton who seems to rather burn their unsold goods than to sell them at a discount! Strange!
Old 28th September 2018, 10:18   #3670
BHPian

I was just skimming through this thread and I see we are as serious on our watches as our cars. Some of the wrist apparatus are drool worthy and I dream that I can buy some of those.

Just over a year ago I got into watches and now I dream to be a collector of watches. Until I bought my first watch over a year ago, I did not own one or did I like the idea of a wrist watch- wow what a dumbo I was.

I just recently purchased the Skyhawk JY8051-08E. What a watch, technically very sound yet understated and not oh wow posh, perfect for me.

Apart from this I have a Seiko Prospex solar divers chronograph, an Edifice twin sensor chronograph and finally a nice looking Citizen Eco drive white dial dress watch.

As you can sees, apart from Edifice my other watches are Solar ie, less headache in replacing batteries; my Edifice needs carries two batteries which needs replacement every 18 months.

So now, I am on the hunt for a next watch to be bought during Jan-Feb'19 and I have started looking up a few. Key criteria is that it either has to be an automatic with decent power reserve (min 4 days ) or solar but should have unique features different from the one I already have. Inclination is towards a minimalist dress watch like Movado although it does not have any of my preferences. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
Old 28th September 2018, 14:09   #3671
BHPian

Anyone have an experience with Oris. I have been eyeing the Oris diver 65 for a while now and am planning to pull the trigger on one soon. I wanted some information on the brand and long term maintenance /upkeep experience
Old 28th September 2018, 14:20   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
So now, I am on the hunt for a next watch to be bought during Jan-Feb'19 and I have started looking up a few. Key criteria is that it either has to be an automatic with decent power reserve (min 4 days ) or solar but should have unique features different from the one I already have. Inclination is towards a minimalist dress watch like Movado although it does not have any of my preferences. Do you have any thoughts?
Hello mate, from your present watch collection it looks like you are more inclined towards solar/eco-drive powered quartz watches. Firstly automatic mechanical watches, these watches aren't the typical grab and go watches unless you wear them at least once in two days. Most automatic mechanical watches come with a power reserve of around 40+ 2 hours.

Bear in mind that these watches wont be as accurate as a typical quartz watch and one will have to keep changing the day and date if the watch runs out of its power reserve band. In terms of maintenance they will require a service every 10 years or if one is proactive then 5 years.

Despite so many limitations these kind of watches find their connoisseurs. Reasons are many but a few worth mentioning are: feeling of nostalgia w.r.t wrist watch origins, a mechanical device working away silently on your wrist the midst of all hi-fi digital stuff like mobile phone, smart band/watch, tab, etc. Most of the automatic mechanical watches have heavy duty build quality(Diver's watch), elegant design(Dress watch), etc. There are many brands to choose from right from Swiss to Japanese to German and many more.

If your inclination is towards a minimalist dress watch then first decide the budget followed by dial color(white, ivory cream, blue, black, etc.), then decide on the brand(mostly Japanese brands are affordable compared to Swiss and others while giving you a decent quality and reliability). Next to see is your requirement for power reserve. I mostly refrain from recommending brands to people as what might be good for me might not work for the other person. Movado that you've chosen is a reputed brand and like many other Swiss made watches might be using the ever reliable ETA caliber powered movement.

Happy choosing.
Old 28th September 2018, 14:31   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post

Thanks for reading.
Since you have Solar watches, it might make sense to add a manual or automatic to your collection. Though I am not sure if anyone gives 4 days of power reserve.

Given your preference to understated design, I would suggest looking at the following brands - Nomos Glashutte, Raymond Weil, Longines, Rado etc. I have seen fine watches with clean design from all these brands.

While we are on this topic, I wanted to share something that I recently stumbled upon - a Watch Microbrand from India -

Bangalore Watch Company (https://www.bangalorewatchco.in/).

I am keenly watching it. At this time, I don't know the material/build quality etc, but it is interesting to see someone showing the guts to start something like this!
Old 28th September 2018, 16:07   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Anyone have an experience with Oris. I have been eyeing the Oris diver 65 for a while now and am planning to pull the trigger on one soon. I wanted some information on the brand and long term maintenance /upkeep experience
Oris is a well respected brand which used movements from ETA/ Sellita. The brand is highly regarded among the watch community and is known to be one of the brands which are well priced amongst all the Swiss overpriced timepieces. The Divers 65 is a watch which I myself have been eyeing for a long time now. However, the Indian stores, as usual, price them way higher than what their actual price is in the US. The only issue I have with them is that being a divers watch, they are designed in a more dressy/vintage way, rather than the robust tool watch manner in which most divers watches are supposed to be designed.

If you are comfortable with the prices in India, you can go ahead without any worries. If you can pick them up from the USA, nothing better! The Oris brand has great heritage and makes some lovely watches, including the Divers 65. As for maintenance, the movement that it uses is one from the ETA stable, and therefore, would be relatively reasonable to service. Not sure of the exact servicing costs though.

Quote:

I am keenly watching it. At this time, I don't know the material/build quality etc, but it is interesting to see someone showing the guts to start something like this!
I did stumble across this some months back. While the designs are quite nice, they are priced way above what watches of similar movements and short pedigree would be charging in the market. These are priced at INR 38K, whereas they should not be priced at more than INR 12-15 K at best. At this price, they would be great VFM timepieces. However, as it turns out, they are way, way overpriced.

However, yes, I am also happy that an Indian company is starting out with what looks like quality mechanical watches catering to modern taste. Wish the prices were more realistic though.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th September 2018 at 16:15.
Old 29th September 2018, 00:53   #3675
BHPian

Quote:

While we are on this topic, I wanted to share something that I recently stumbled upon - a Watch Microbrand from India -

Nice watches! Reminds me of the Longines Conquest Heritage. But definitely the watches look simple and elegant!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks