Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2020, 16:08   #4231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
And Rolex seldom does much with colors, so that blue is an excellent way to go.
On the contrary - Rolex Datejusts and Oyster Perpetuals have a huge variety of colours. It is actually mind boggling to see the number of dial finish- color-bezel combinations that Rolex has in these ranges. Other ranges, not so much.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:37   #4232
Senior - BHPian

My HMT Mechanical Watch Collection

The Collection so far has JANATA, PILOT, SONA, TRISHNA & CHIRAG Models. One more KOHINOOR is on its way.

HMT shut down its watch operations in 2016 after decades of losses. However HMT resartated selling watches though it Website/Online (www.hmtwatches.in) from last year (2019).
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-my-hmt-collection.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-my-hmt-janata-collection-01.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-my-hmt-janata-collection-02.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-my-hmt-pilot-collection.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-hmt-janata-chirag-trishna.jpg  

Last edited by payeng : 17th April 2020 at 09:40.
payeng is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 10:47   #4233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
My Jhalak YD TBC (1st new HMT)
Attachment 1974605

My Blue Kohinoor (2nd HMT)
Attachment 1974607

"Come , Discover Watches. It will change the way you look at TIME." from hmt website

Keep them tickin'
--surjaonwheelz

Amazing collection. I particularly like the way you have modified the Jhalak with the brown leather strap. I'm still looking for my Jhalak.

I have placed my orders for my blue Kohinoor and Black Dial Saathi.

You have some great Nato straps. Can you please let us know where to buy those?
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:20   #4234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
My HMT Mechanical Watch Collection

The Collection so far has JANATA, PILOT, SONA, TRISHNA & CHIRAG Models. One more KOHINOOR is on its way.
Nice collection. My blue Kohinoor is on order and stuck with HMT due to the present circumstances. Waiting eagerly for courier services to start so that I get hold of it. Looks gorgeous in the pics and videos that I have seen thus far.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:24   #4235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice collection. My blue Kohinoor is on order and stuck with HMT due to the present circumstances. Waiting eagerly for courier services to start so that I get hold of it. Looks gorgeous in the pics and videos that I have seen thus far.
The Blue Sunburst Dial on the Kohinoor does look beautiful. Am awaiting for mine to be shipped as well.

Another beautiful watch according to me is the NISHAT - Black Dial with Statinless Steel Strap. The image on the Website doesn't do justice to what a few recent YouTube videos shows.

Last edited by payeng : 17th April 2020 at 11:34.
Old 17th April 2020, 15:26   #4236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Amazing collection. I particularly like the way you have modified the Jhalak with the brown leather strap. I'm still looking for my Jhalak.

I have placed my orders for my blue Kohinoor and Black Dial Saathi.

You have some great Nato straps. Can you please let us know where to buy those?
Thank you, the first thing I do with HMT watches is change the strap. I get the leather straps from local watch shop. I've all the stock straps and belts, may be I should consider putting them up for sale!

I came across this nato strap dealer from Delhi mooistraps
They have nice options but the web buying experience is a bit primitive, you place the order from their website then make payments externally and inform them. They'll ship it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The Blue Sunburst Dial on the Kohinoor does look beautiful. Am awaiting for mine to be shipped as well.

Another beautiful watch according to me is the NISHAT - Black Dial with Statinless Steel Strap. The image on the Website doesn't do justice to what a few recent YouTube videos shows.
Nishat was available last week! I gave it a miss.

Just before lockdown I got the Karna.
Which watch do you own?-karna.jpg

Just when I think I'm done another beauty comes up!
--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 13:45   #4237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Will PM you with more info, but for the benefit of all will say these were ALL found in India, where I figure the number of collectors (and demand) will continue to increase as the merits and characteristics of mechanical watches, and levels of disposable income / nostalgia / hobbyist interest increase.

As an added note, would like to suggest that watchmaking might be a very reasonable career path to pursue in the coming days. In my observation, all the old-timers who used to work on them before the "Quartz Revolution" are retiring / dying off, and as the skilled trades were always considered a bit low-status by most in society, practically none of their children have gone into this traditionally generational trade. All at the same time that - for the first time in a couple decades - larger numbers of people are starting to buy mechanical watches again - low/mid/high-end.

-Eric
Thanks Eric and apologies for the delayed response. Please do PM me more details. I am interested to learn more.

I think the establishment of new private brands in India like Jaipur Watch Company and Bangalore Watch Company support your view that watchmaking might be a very reasonable career path to pursue in the coming days. Also the sheer increase in sales of luxury mechanical time pieces year on year the world over shows that the smart watch will not eat into the luxury mechanical time piece market and that both will create their own markets going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Folks

I am thinking of buying a new watch around ₹ 3-5 lakhs

What would be your pick?

I want automatic, chronograph or some other interesting complication, < 40mm width.

What options do I have?

Thanks
Have you looked at the Omega Speedmaster Racing series? I have been looking into it a bit more in detail recently and find it quite good. Take note however that it does not have the legacy of being a moonwatch and the dial is smaller in diameter (one of its main attractions to me personally). It also uses a heavily modified Valjoux movement so is not completely in house. However, it does use a silicon balance spring and is a co-axial escapement. Last i checked it was around Rupees 2.8 lakhs on Ethos and has multiple dial variants. With some discount I think it is a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Here's one i particularly keep going back to in my collection of predominantly affordable watches