Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:40   #4981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
We have just come back from a 14 day family visit in Barbados, West Indies.

There are a couple of very nice jeweller shops on the islands, which to us is also tax-free. Last time when I visited I had my eye on these Citizen Eco-watches. Did not buy any then. But this time I bit the bullet and got my self a Promaster Skyhawks A-T Men’s Eco-Drive, the blue Angel version:

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...ic-timekeeping

I have never owned a watch like this. It is light powered and its timekeeping synchronises every day by radio signal with an atomic clock.

I always think Citizen watches appear to be a bit underrated. I think they provide really good value for money and they have some really nice models too. This watch cost me $435 and comes with a 6 year warrantee!

It comes in this cool box!
It's a very cool Citizen and you scored it for a great price. I have my eye set on it for quite some time.
However, too big for my rather smallish wrist...and the pocket if you consider the price at which it is sold in India!

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd November 2022 at 16:48.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 15:07   #4982
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at getting myself a Casio G-Shock and am torn between two models: the GBD-200 and the GBX-100NS. The GBD-200 comes in some interesting colors and the innovative shoulders that connect the straps to the case, do make it feel quite dainty on the wrist (not just dainty for a G-Shock) and it fits extremely well. The GBX-100 G-Lide on the other hand, comes with a metal bezel and conventional strap attachment which makes it sit much larger on the wrist but also means that the strap could be swapped for a metal bracelet more easily if I choose to do so later. I have no use for the tide graph and moon data on the G-Lide but the murdered out Night Surfer edition does look quite cool. Anyway what I was hoping to figure out was whether anyone here has used the G-Shock move app to track run distances (both on the treadmill and outdoors) and steps, and whether it works as advertised, and which out of the two would the watch experts on this forum recommend?

Thanks in advance

PS: This is my first watch that I will be buying myself and I am a complete novice in this area so any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th November 2022 at 15:14.
Old 7th November 2022, 02:33   #4983
Senior - BHPian

So I had a seiko automatic. The date window chrome popped off and was bouncing around in the dial. It was still under warranty and I sent it to them. They replied back it was damage due to negligence. And they will not cover it under warranty. To send the watch back they will charge me too. And here is the kicker. I put in that the watch is gaining time and if they can have a look at it. The reply was that it will be serviced and that was equal to the buying cost of the watch!

I am paying them money to fix the watch window as the cost will be almost same if there were to return the watch as it is (Remember they are charging me to return the watch).

Just the other side of automatic watches one should be aware of. Personally now I feel that the decline in the popularity of mechanical watches is kind of justified.

This watch will be the last mechanical watch for me. Casio G-Shock or some other solar powered watch from now on.

They lost a customer.
download2live is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:33   #4984

Ever since I've got my HMT Pilot, I've not been able to wear my daily driver Casio. The domed dial, comfortable size, unique maroon dial and the hand winding mechanism, all these factors are very addictive. I've received numerous compliments as well for HMT. I'm a proud owner! It's like my 98' zen, no matter which car I've driven till now, zen remains my love.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20221109_112303.jpg  

sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 14:45   #4985
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks I am heading to Kamal Watch Co to buy my first watch. If some of you read my post earlier, I was torn between a GBD200 and a GBX100NS. Have asked my local watch store to source both models so that I can wear them and check them out in person to see which I'd like better. I have a few doubts though: When buying a watch should I check manufacturing date or anything like that? I mean like how you have VIN numbers and PDIs is there anything to do when buying a watch from a store? I'm sorry for the possibly stupid questions but please bear with me as I have zero knowledge or understanding of watches.
Old 11th November 2022, 18:52   #4986
BHPian

Gifted my Orient Blue Ray 2 a new rubber strap. Bought one that was meant for Galaxy Watch (22m wide) and it was a direct fit on my watch. It fits my scrawny wrist pretty well and is comfortable too.

Which watch do you own?-01.jpeg

Which watch do you own?-02.jpeg

My most beloved workhorses. Simple, timeless and practical!

Which watch do you own?-03.jpeg
RiGOD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:41   #4987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
So I had a seiko automatic. The date window chrome popped off and was bouncing around in the dial. It was still under warranty and I sent it to them. They replied back it was damage due to negligence. And they will not cover it under warranty...
It’s a pity you had such an experience. Take it to a local watch repair guy and get that chrome removed. Also, local servicing won’t cost as much. You can also buy a de-magnetiser off Amazon for 400-500 bucks and try to demag it yourself. If that fixes the accuracy, money saved. If it doesn’t, a regular service at a local store. Mechanical watches, especially in luxury segment are picking up globally as well as in India. I own a few Seikos and never had any issues as such related to the build quality. As in cars, avoid authorised service centers out to fleece you off your hard earned money.

You can register for extended warranty (6 months) on Casio website and you’ll get to know if your watch is genuine or not when you put the serial number in. No PDI required as such. Just check it for niggles etc and make sure all documents are in place. Enjoy your watch !!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:36. Reason: trimmed quote
Old 15th November 2022, 12:51   #4988
Distinguished - BHPian

Chrome window can be fixed at any local repair shop. Mechanical watches gaining or losing time (a few minutes a day) can be easily fixed by adjusting the regulator. It's a 2 minute basic job for a watch guy.

Unfortunately you are having issues with your watch but I have always found the build quality of Seiko very very good otherwise.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:49   #4989
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone bought a watch from Ajio? I made an impulse purchase of a Ferrari watch. Hopefully, I get an original item.
Old 16th November 2022, 21:29   #4990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Has anyone bought a watch from Ajio? I made an impulse purchase of a Ferrari watch. Hopefully, I get an original item.
I have had only positive experience with AJIO whether it's clothes, watches or Shoes.

Though would recommend you to do an unboxing video just in case.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:34. Reason: typo
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 06:59   #4991
BHPian

Oh! I am so grateful for this thread's existence. It's good to know we have some watch enthusiasts in the forum. As for mine, I own an HMT Pace (black dial). It looks absolutely gorgeous. There hasn't been a day without me appreciating the watch's beauty. Man, it's such a classic-looking watch. I am trying to buy a Pilot or Janata from their website. I will wait some more time if it comes in stock or if I lose patience I may even take a trip to their Banglore office and try to get my hands on one of them. I guess this time-tested classic would be an excellent gift to my dad who still has few words to say when asked about his old HMT.
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 20:17   #4992
Distinguished - BHPian

1990 made HMT Kohinoor. Has a nice lume too!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-f38ae35a597845089d304500db0e58e8.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-bc0df11e2e5c4ac2b43f247dd8bc3189.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-e020c2084c1a4d35ace522787f190b37.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-6f89357db2994412998a3903a1e3bfbc.jpeg  

saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 04:07   #4993
BHPian

Decided to take advantage of the US Black Friday sales and splurged on a proper Wolf watchbox to manage this motley mix of usual suspects and some weirdos.
From Top Left to Bottom Right:
1. Mid-90s pre-Swatch Breguet Type XX
2. 1947 Omega with the 30T2 movement
3. Mid-90s Omega SMP300 in a mid-size case
4. Mr Jones Ricochet with a Seagull auto movement
5. Tudor BB58
6. Casio Protrek PRW-60T-7ACR
7. Casio A168
8. Dan Henry 1939
9. Casio G-Shock 56xx series
10. Mid-60s Omega Seamaster with a bumper movement

On the wrist is a Casio SPF-10. This and the Mr Jones are perennial conversation pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-e5b780fbdb1047648cbb374a8603556f.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-adb8ec99361b460994256b9b5c4f0809.jpg  

kinetic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 20:42   #4994
BHPian

As a severely delayed birthday gift, I got to pick out a watch. It's a Titan 1805QP01 with a wonderfully textured matte-black dial and analogue date, day and 24-hour displays too. The strap is leather but with a fabric finishing on the outside. Everything's stock so far; I might replace it with a metal strap sometime in the future.

Here it is! The picture doesn't fully do it justice: the workmanship looks far more stunning in real life.
Which watch do you own?-watch.jpg
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:52   #4995
BHPian

Recent HMT collection, all bought from official HMT website
  • Saathi
  • Pilot
  • Kohinoor (Dark Grey)
Which watch do you own?-hmt.jpeg

Last edited by P242 : 10th December 2022 at 23:58.
P242 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks