Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 19:18   #4846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The waterproof seal of a watch is always compromised once the battery replacement is done after 2 or 3 years of purchase. My Seiko watch was spoilt in this way.
Had then decided to buy only solar powered watches so that I can avoid the battery change and water ingress risk.
Both by Casio Tough solar world time (8 years) and Tissot T touch titanium solar watches (6 years) have been going good (touch wood) without any battery replacement/service hassles.
That is why the official service centres always put a new seal every time the watch is opened. This is for all watches, whether a Tag (for battery change) or Omega or Rolex - every time the back is opened a new seal is put.
Old 14th February 2022, 22:13   #4847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
..official service centres always put a new seal every time the watch is opened ...
I doubt if they replace the seal in official service centers in India. They sure didn't do it during a couple of Rado battery replacement but sure charged a bomb for plonking in a cell.
Maybe they'd do it for higher end watches like Rolex and Omega.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:14   #4848
BHPian

I am trying to source a strap with centre lug design. This is available in Ali express but could not find any in Amazon. Any leads?
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-ac30052ad7e341c1af0db89bb5604229.jpeg  

Old 16th February 2022, 11:13   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if they replace the seal in official service centers in India. They sure didn't do it during a couple of Rado battery replacement but sure charged a bomb for plonking in a cell.
You can always check when replacing the battery.

For my Son's Tag they did replace it every time (he checked it every time). The cost of battery change including the seal was around 600.
Old 16th February 2022, 13:31   #4850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Titan watch showroom near my place always replaces the seals whenever the battery is replaced. Have observed this on 3 different Titan watches whose battery was replaced. They did as SOP and same is mentioned in bill.

I guess, we have to insist on a new seal everytime the back case is opened
Old 17th February 2022, 00:20   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorviator View Post
I did something special. I bought myself an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Specs - Hesalite casing & 3861 Calibre.
  1. Rolex Submariner -
    Big Con - Availability - AD candidly advised me that the only way to get it now is to risk buying it in Dubai and wear back
Congrats!! a very nice choice.

What is the risk of bringing a Rolex from Dubai? Customs?
Old 17th February 2022, 13:16   #4852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
[/list]Congrats!! a very nice choice.

What is the risk of bringing a Rolex from Dubai? Customs?
Hi, thanks!

Yes, I'd presume that there would be a risk from the customs authorities even if I buy it for myself. Would they really allow me to walk back with the Rolex on my hand along with the box and warranty papers in my check-in luggage?

I'm not entirely sure about that. However, I don't even want to fall in the 1% statistic who get harassed or have to litigate for no reason. This does happen in India with all sarkarki authorities. To be candid with you, I've never travelled overseas ever. So I'm not really aware as to what are the nuances. Could just be my fear of the unknown.

Just to highlight the crazy demand, the MRP on Rolex’s website for the Submariner with date is 7.68 lakhs. However, one of the ADs in India is selling a used Rolex Submariner with date for 11.5 lakhs - This is without the original box or warranty card.

If it was as simple as buying it at Dubai and walking back, I wouldn't think that there would be such a demand. There must be some catch.

In view of all the above, I just decided to go with Speedy.
Attorviator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:36   #4853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In view of all the above, I just decided to go with Speedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I have fallen in love. The subject of love ‘this time’ is an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. It is so beautiful. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of servicing is required for an Omega?

2. The price that I am seeing on ethos is 6.11L. What is the room for negotiation on these watches?

3. Is there a place in Delhi-NCR I can go try it out in person?
Wow! What a timely review of the watch. This was my post on the Speedy from last month. I am head over heels for this watch. Where did you buy it from? and did you get any discount on the sticker price?
Old 17th February 2022, 14:11   #4854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Wow! What a timely review of the watch. This was my post on the Speedy from last month. I am head over heels for this watch. Where did you buy it from? and did you get any discount on the sticker price?
Hi, Pancham! Glad to know that you like the Speedy too!

Mine is the Hesalite version which is retailing for INR 5.37 lakhs now. I got a 12% discount on it from the AD. My AD is Ethos Saket. There was no room for negotiation beyond this.

On its website, Omega has advised complete service every 5 to 8 years and a check every year for the water resistance. I intend to follow the same.
Attorviator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:14   #4855
BHPian

Is there any dedicated website for buying watch seals? I did a DIY Battery Change on my Casio Outdoor Series watch and it had fogged up inside when I wore it in the swimming pool. Got rid of the moisture by using a hair dryer and it is back to normal now.
Old 18th February 2022, 11:27   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Is there any dedicated website for buying watch seals? I did a DIY Battery Change on my Casio Outdoor Series watch and it had fogged up inside when I wore it in the swimming pool. Got rid of the moisture by using a hair dryer and it is back to normal now.
The fogging is due to water ingress into the watch. Just heating it will not get rid of the moisture. For complete defogging, open the back and then use sun/dryer to get rid of the moisture.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:14   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The fogging is due to water ingress into the watch. Just heating it will not get rid of the moisture. For complete defogging, open the back and then use sun/dryer to get rid of the moisture.
Thanks for the advice. I did the same. Unscrewed the back and used the dryer to get rid of the moisture. Won't use it in water till I change the seal now.
Old 20th February 2022, 11:35   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Got this few days back. love the dial design. Has a lot of details in the dial, which is great for the price. Watch is little heavier side but still comfy with rubber strap.

Which watch do you own?-img_0827.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I went a step further and did a full casioak mod
May i know where did you ordered the casioak mod from ?
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 15:01   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
…. I did something special. I bought myself an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Specs - Hesalite casing & 3861 Calibre.

Alternatives considered -
  1. Rolex Submariner -
    Big Pro - Is a Rolex - They tend to hold value well
    Big Con - Availability - AD candidly advised me that the only way to get it now is to risk buying it in Dubai and wear back.
  2. Breitling Avenger - Eliminated due to the huge crown size. Won't suit my wrist. Also, depreciation.
  3. Oris Pro Pilot X -
    Big Pro - Beautiful skeleton watch with an immaculate movement. Big Con - Is pricey for an Oris and depreciation.
Congratulations on your new buy and for an excellent choice. The Speedy, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated watches. If Rolex was selling it with this background and list of achievements this would be at least 4 times the price and a 2 year waiting period. We should be glad Omega got selected!

I own a Speedy(previous gen) and a Rolex (DJ41) and can say that the quality and ownership experience of the Speedy is superior to that of the Rolex. I love them both, wear them both.

Wishing you a Speedy Tuesday, this one is a keeper, enjoy the achievement and the watch..

Cheers
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 02:23   #4860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post

Wishing you a Speedy Tuesday, this one is a keeper, enjoy the achievement and the watch..
Thanks for the very kind words, Sting. Your response makes me feel much better about my choice. With everyday that passes by, my love and admiration for the Speedy keeps on growing. Its unlike anything I've purchased before where the joy only lasts for a few days or months. In that way its like my car, something that I enjoy everyday that I use it.

I have a strong feeling that Omega is going start pulling crazy demand like Rolex soon. Especially the Speedy and Seamaster at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks