Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 21:39   #1786
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

I just wanted to have some information of these two watches which my dad used during 85-90s. These were lying in one corner of the house and i made a point to preserve them. People please share your knowledge about these pieces and their prices in those era.
No idea about Citizen and HMT says on its dial as HMT Chiraj -para shock 17 jewels.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-dsc_0833.jpg  

Last edited by rki2007 : 8th December 2012 at 21:45.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:48   #1787
BHPian

Bought another HMT (automatic this time), HMT Nachiket on stock leather (but cheap looking) strap (intend to replace it with a better one):

Which watch do you own?-img_20121210_143917.jpg
Old 11th December 2012, 11:47   #1788
BHPian

As mentioned earlier, got the stock strap replaced with a Titan Hirsch Duke strap, imho - enhancing the watch's look.

Which watch do you own?-img_20121211_113238.jpg

Due to my mobile phone camera's messed up white-balance, the dial looks paler than its actual colour which is more golden in shade than the cream shown above.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:53   #1789
BHPian

My then fiance (now HM), got me Fossil CH 2601.
I absolutely adore the watch... black all over with hands and markings in radium white.

http://reviews.fossil.com/7055/22152...ws/reviews.htm
Old 11th December 2012, 15:07   #1790
Senior - BHPian

My current watch is this one, and it's really nice. Feels great, looks great, couldn't really ask for more.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-133707619932566800.jpg  

Old 11th December 2012, 15:13   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I always knew the Pilot and Rajat needed a Janata to complete the picture, to close the loop, so to say. So, i ended up adding a vintage english-lettered Janata with red seconds hand to my kitty. Looks exactly like this, but with a faux leather strap.

HMTs are so damn cheap and so INDIAN, that everyone MUST own one
Saw this post around noon today. Went to the HMT store in Cuffe parade during lunch and got myself a Pilot. Lovely watch and dirt cheap at Rs.788/-
Apparently there is a 15% discount going on.

They did'nt have any Janata's in stock, but maybe next time...
Old 11th December 2012, 23:28   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
People please share your knowledge about these pieces and their prices in those era.
No idea about Citizen and HMT says on its dial as HMT Chiraj -para shock 17 jewels.
I think both watches need a change of crystal (glass) and if they don't work properly now, maybe a service and a change of straps. I have also heard that the best way to preserve a watch is to wear it!
Old 12th December 2012, 03:02   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007
I just wanted to have some information of these two watches which my dad used during 85-90s. These were lying in one corner of the house and i made a point to preserve them. People please share your knowledge about these pieces and their prices in those era.
People give me some updates on this . (pics in previous page) . Also please suggest me some good watch service centre in Bangalore to get the citizen watch back to good shape .
Old 12th December 2012, 11:29   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
.. Went to the HMT store in Cuffe parade during lunch and got myself a Pilot. Lovely watch and dirt cheap at Rs.788/-
They did'nt have any Janata's in stock, but maybe next time...
What a fruitful way to spend the lunch hour. Am sure a lunch buffet ticket at one of them posh eat-out places would cost more than the Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
People give me some updates on this . (pics in previous page) . Also please suggest me some good watch service centre in Bangalore to get the citizen watch back to good shape .
This is what i know about the Chirag - a 70s vintage mechanical hand wound watch (no longer being made) and powered by HMT 020 caliber 17 jewel movement, which is based on Citizen’s 0201 caliber. Do note it is with Citizen's know-how that HMT began watch manufacturing in early 60s. Also, your Chirag has an uncommon dial colour. I have seen lots of browns and blues. But never this colour. Do get it serviced and crystal replaced. That watch will outlive most of us.

Regarding service in Bangalore, check tbhpian JVH's guidance elsewhere in this thread. He has mentioned a couple of reliable service centers.

Last edited by WindRide : 12th December 2012 at 11:34.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:16   #1795
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
How reliable are GUESS watches? Here's one that looks beautiful but Im not aware of their quality since its a company that emphasises on cloth and fashion. Im looking for a ladies watch for my wife.

http://www.amazon.com/GUESS-Status--...859886&sr=1-18

Or would I be better off with a Casio Sheen series? They are of the same range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Had been using a Guess watch since last 4 years. No issue as of now.
Quality is top notch.
Have a Guess Steel watch for close to 4 years now. The leather strap which is black in color started to fade around the edges very soon. At that time it was my daily wear watch. Soon I moved to other watches as my daily wear. Between Jan 2011 and now (almost 2 years) the watch was untraceable. It was lying in a box in a remote corner in the almirah and the battery had died. I recently put in a new cell and it sprang to life without any issues like rust, jamming of parts etc or the need to service it.

Happy with the watch quality except the strap.

Last edited by lsp : 12th December 2012 at 12:23. Reason: added content
Old 13th December 2012, 09:33   #1796
BHPian

Folks, anyfeed back on http://www.ghadiwala.com/

Found a nice watch out there which is not available at any other web store or brick and mortar store.

Appreciate if anybody has any buying experience from out here.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:41   #1797
BHPian

My latest aquisition.

Which watch do you own?-image.jpeg

Always wanted an mechanical self winding watch and found this on the recent 20% off Titan sale. To be honest, I did find much of the Titan Automatic collection too gaudy for my taste. Except this one, fell in love with it the moment I saw it

It does come in gold with a tan strap as well, but I liked the staid understated looks of the black and silver combination.

Keeps great time as long as I keep wearing it. Also, since I alternate it with my eco-drive and a Kalenji for my daily wear, realised the hidden benefit of not having a day date display. I only need to adjust the time (as it invariably would have stopped, not having worn it for around 36 hours).
Old 16th December 2012, 00:00   #1798
Senior - BHPian

My latest acquisition - A Titan dual time watch.

Which watch do you own?-dsc_8299-copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
My latest aquisition.
I love this one! Super choice.

Can you tell me how much it cost? Haven't seen this in website. If I saw this, i would have brought it.
Old 16th December 2012, 17:53   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
My latest acquisition - A Titan dual time watch.

I love this one! Super choice.

Can you tell me how much it cost? Haven't seen this in website. If I saw this, i would have brought it.
It was a deprecated model. I think it's gone out of production. Anyhow found it at the Bangalore forum mall and waited for a month to pick it up. Cost me 9k after the 20% discount.
Old 16th December 2012, 19:55   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
It was a deprecated model. I think it's gone out of production. Anyhow found it at the Bangalore forum mall and waited for a month to pick it up. Cost me 9k after the 20% discount.
Thanks. I like this better than the current models. This watch have a certain elegance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks