Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 10:46   #1696
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Next target - Seiko 5 SNZF11K1. Heading to Ethos on the next opportunity to see if they can source it.
Hi Partha,

I too am interested in the Seiko 5 model. Any idea how much it costs? Do send me a PM if you manage to locate this in any of the stores in Bangalore.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:00   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13

Hi Partha,

I too am interested in the Seiko 5 model. Any idea how much it costs? Do send me a PM if you manage to locate this in any of the stores in Bangalore.
Vikram aka ComfortablyNumb had told that it cost him 12,800 iirc. It isn't available in the stores now. Should order it. I shall visit the ethos showroom at Orion mall once i get the time. If available i can sms/call you then. Just pm me your number.

@comfortablynumb can you upload a pic with the watch on your hand? How big is the dial?

@JVH i couldn't see any seiko divers at the showrooms i.e lifestyle and the like. What do i need to tell them? They were blank when i said divers. Sir will seiko be serviceable easily in bangalore? Im kind of scared because these guys don't seem to know many points about the watch. I hope ethos has more knowledgeable staff.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:14   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@comfortablynumb can you upload a pic with the watch on your hand? How big is the dial?
The dial is 45mm in diameter [including the crown] and doesn't look too bulky at all. My wrists aren't very thick , and it suits them just fine! I'll try and upload a pic after going home today.

Btw, Watchkart is listing this watch for Rs.11,520: http://www.watchkart.com/seiko-snzf1...s-watches.html However, it's out of stock there too.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th October 2012, 13:56   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Vikram aka ComfortablyNumb had told that it cost him 12,800 iirc. It isn't available in the stores now. Should order it. I shall visit the ethos showroom at Orion mall once i get the time. If available i can sms/call you then. Just pm me your number.

Partha, check this page http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=83545 for pictures

Video :

Do let me know if you find any stock at ethos, Orion Mall.

I found it online - http://www.ethoswatches.com/brands/seiko/snzf11k1.html

Last edited by CRV2010 : 30th October 2012 at 14:15.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:40   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She's a beauty. Changed the strap to a brown one from the default jazzy type. And she fit perfectly on my wrist. That window to watch the movements - I can't stop looking at it everytime Im wearing the watch.
Nice watches I couldn't find any video of the Jhalak movement. If it is not terribly inconvenient, can you post a small video of the Jhalak watch?
Old 30th October 2012, 16:51   #1701
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@JVH i couldn't see any seiko divers at the showrooms i.e lifestyle and the like. What do i need to tell them? They were blank when i said divers. Sir will seiko be serviceable easily in bangalore? Im kind of scared because these guys don't seem to know many points about the watch. I hope ethos has more knowledgeable staff.
The showroom guys will not have clue most of the time. You will have to do the due diligence yourself and check out the selected models in the showroom.

From Wiki -

Quote:
A diving watch is a watch designed for underwater diving that features, as a minimum, a water resistance greater than 1.0 MPa (10 atm), the equivalent of 100 m (330 ft). The typical diver's watch will have a water resistance of around 200 to 300 m (660 to 980 ft), though modern technology allows the creation of diving watches that can go much deeper
They typically have powerful lume, rotating bezel and thicker hands. The Seikos shown in this thread are almost all divers.

Zimsons and Ethos both have reputabable service centers although they charge a bomb. Even for a 15k Seiko, they charge astronomically for a routine service. I normally go to my guy who fixes and services almost all the watches except Tourbillons. I have posted his info somewhere in this thread. My recommendation is within the warranty, stick to authorized dealers and after that, you can post here and we can help you in finding the right people who charge nominal rates.

Last edited by JVH : 30th October 2012 at 16:57.
Old 30th October 2012, 16:57   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Partha, check this page
Ive contacted Ethos online and have requested a call back from them as soon as they have it in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The dial is 45mm in diameter [including the crown] and doesn't look too bulky at all. My wrists aren't very thick, and it suits them just fine! I'll try and upload a pic after going home today.

Cheers,
Vikram
I saw that and Im gonna ask them if they can send me one when its in stock., Still waiting for Ethos' callback.

Thing is I need to see how it fits in my hand. And is there a way I can change the strap to leather? Will that look good with this watch?

And can Automatics be worn daily? I may wear it anywhere close to 6 to 10/12 hours in a day as long as Im outside my home. How good is the Seiko service in Bangalore?

And does it have any error like the HMT mechanical hand wound watches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nice watches I couldn't find any video of the Jhalak movement. If it is not terribly inconvenient, can you post a small video of the Jhalak watch?
Here you go. I hope this is what you were asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Zimsons and Ethos both have reputabable service centers although they charge a bomb. Even for a 15k Seiko, they charge astronomically for a routine service. I normally go to my guy who fixes and services almost all the watches except Tourbillons. I have posted his info somewhere in this thread. My recommendation is within the warranty, stick to authorized dealers and after that, you can post here and we can help you in finding the right people who charge nominal rates.
BTW, a newbie query. What is the use of the rotating bezel? Have seen it on many watches. THe explanation that Ive got from everyone is It can be used to display two time zones.

Also How frequently do Automatics need servicing? Reliability is of utmost importance to me. I dont want to be having to visit service centres often and incur high service bills. :(

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Regards
Partha.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 30th October 2012 at 17:04.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:01   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is I need to see how it fits in my hand. And is there a way I can change the strap to leather? Will that look good with this watch? And can Automatics be worn daily? I may wear it anywhere close to 6 to 10/12 hours in a day as long as Im outside my home. How good is the Seiko service in Bangalore?
I don't know if you can change the strap to leather. But if you do manage to do that, then you are destroying the very essence of a diver IMO, it will ruin the looks of this watch.

Yes, automatics can be worn daily. I wear mine almost all the time, except while taking a bath, sleeping and working out/running.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th October 2012, 17:34   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Hugo Boss Watch bought from UK and recently i dropped it from a floor. Please suggest me a place where i can get it repaired. The glass & the needle has broken.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:58   #1705
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I have a Hugo Boss Watch bought from UK and recently i dropped it from a floor. Please suggest me a place where i can get it repaired. The glass & the needle has broken.
Written some time back ....

Quote:
The shop I normally go to is located on Kamaraj road. Praveen Watch Shop is the name. From M.G. road towards Commercial street, don't take left towards the commercial street. Go straight from the street entrance and about 60-70 meters ahead, you will find it on the right side. Its not exactly on the main road but slightly inside but you won't miss it from the main road. Ask for Shaikh Mohammed. He is pretty honest and reliable guy. Good in his job too. I don't mind leaving my expensive pieces with him.

Another place where most watch enthusiasts go to is Everjoy which I mentioned in my previous post. Its on the Commercial street, right next to Krishna Chetty and Sons, above the Titan showroom.

Quote:
And can Automatics be worn daily? I may wear it anywhere close to 6 to 10/12 hours in a day as long as Im outside my home.
And does it have any error like the HMT mechanical hand wound watches?
Why not? Automatics are best worn everyday. My Seiko diver runs about 5-10 secs faster per day depending on its mood. Its more or less the same for other Seiko 5 models(confirmed by other Seiko owners on another watch forum). My Seiko bell-matic is much faster say 20-25 secs but its a 1976 model. If you want Automatic with deadly accuracy, you have to go for COSC certified watches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

They have accuracy of -4/+6 secs but generally settle down to +2~+4 secs per day. They understandably cost a bomb though. If you want high accuracy in a watch, you have to opt for quartz.

Quote:

BTW, a newbie query. What is the use of the rotating bezel? Have seen it on many watches. THe explanation that Ive got from everyone is It can be used to display two time zones.
Again from Wiki

Quote:
Most contemporary dive watches with conspicuous 15 or 20 minute markings on their bezels are the result of copying a Rolex bezel design of the 1950s. Back then divers typically planned a dive to a certain maximum depth based on now obsolete US Navy dive tables, and dived according to the planned dive profile. If the dive profile allowed a bottom time of 35 minutes the diver, upon entering the water, would set the marker on the bezel, 35 minutes ahead of the minute hand. The diver calculated this with the 60 - bottom time formulae (60 - 35 = 25, for 35 minutes bottom time the diver would align the 25 minute bezel-mark with the minute hand). Once the minute hand reached the main-marker on the bezel the diver would begin his ascent to the surface. The 15 or 20 minute scale helped with timing the ascent and whatever safety stop the diver deemed necessary. For contemporary diving methods the 15 or 20 minute "count-down" bezel is quite antiquated.
The 2 time zone watch is different. I don't have much experience with them.

Quote:

Also How frequently do Automatics need servicing? Reliability is of utmost importance to me. I dont want to be having to visit service centres often and incur high service bills. :(
Depends from manufacturer to manufacturer. Omega recommends 5 years for 2500 co-axial movement but 10 years for 8500 co-axial movement. Rolex watches are workhorses and very durable. I know a colleague's uncle who has not serviced in 12 years and his Rolex submariner has no issues whatsoever. My HMT Automatic ADSL 04 stopped functioning after 6 months and needed a servicing . Ball recommends 5 years. A good thumb rule is anytime between 3-5 years.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:12   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a whole bunch of watches.

The two nicest one are:

- Breitling Navitimer SE (Special Edition)
- Frederique Constant Slimline FC-306V4STZ9

Both are mechanical watches, very different.

Whereas the Breitling is a fairly large chunky watch with chronometer, the Frederique Constant is a very slim, very elegant dress watch.

I've owned the Breitling for about 5-6 years, I absolutely love it, but it is always running fast. About a minute a week. I've had it back to the official Breitling service shop in Switzerland, Netherlands and the USA. Always comes back with an impressive set of documents and certificates, but it is still running fast! Oh well, at least I'm never late for my appointments!

Jeroen
Old 31st October 2012, 10:22   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go. I hope this is what you were asking for.
Jhalak video
Thanks for posting the video. This is perhaps the only video in internet showing Jhalak watch!

I would have loved either the back to be the transparent exhibition one, or the looking window to be bit bigger. The movement is nice, but the skeleton look is bit too much hidden. Atleast as per video and photos. Perhaps in person the watch may look more beautiful.

Any idea whether the back can be changed to exhibition glass back?
Old 31st October 2012, 11:15   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Folks, suggest me a good digital or analog/digital watch around 5k range. I want it to look good, but not like a kids or even college going kid's watch. Something that can go well even with (semi-)formals.
Old 31st October 2012, 23:34   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar
Folks, suggest me a good digital or analog/digital watch around 5k range. I want it to look good, but not like a kids or even college going kid's watch. Something that can go well even with (semi-)formals.
Please check a few posts of mine on this thread. Perhaps youd like my casio edifice watch. Its priced in that range and definitely looks mature and sporty at the same time. You can go in for that. It also has an analog stopwatch.

Friends now Im in a dilemma with whom to share the info with. The seiko 5 series diver SNZF11K1 is available with one dealer in Bangalore and only one piece is available. I asked if they could get two more pieces but that doesnt seem possible.

Now I've come across another diver from seiko which looks equally good for the price. And im confused on what to buy. And also whom to share the info with.

Both CRV2010 and arindambasu had asked me to pm. So guys should I tell it publicly?

Coming back to topic, JVH sir since you said for accuracy one needs to opt for a quartz watch. If so then why are quartz watches from various brands priced lower than "inaccurate" mechanical/automatic watches? I do love mechanical watches no doubt in that as I can't seem to get the hmts off my wrist.

But why the higher market price of these mechanical watches? Is it the old world charm? Or is it something else?

Also thanks for the adress of your watch service guy.

One more query: the omega watches that you have imported, what were the shipping charges? And were there any custom hassles? I see the Seiko models priced much lower than what they sell for here. Whats your advice?

Thanks again

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 31st October 2012 at 23:36.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:03   #1710
Senior - BHPian

My wife gifted me this Casio G shock GR8900A-1. I did not want a quartz with a battery so went for this solar powered one. Guess I am spoilt by my other 2 automatics

This has now become my daily wearer to office and everywhere else.
Attached Images

Last edited by SPARKled : 1st November 2012 at 17:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks