Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 12:11   #1561
Team-BHP Support

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks guys!

Got it today. And must say - I'm one happy man.
Attachment 975181

Like like 15k is a good deal seeing the prices qouted online.
11% Online Sale - Purchase at Rs17,695 - Fossil Men's Ansel ME3022 Black Stainless-Steel Quartz Watch with Black Dial , GhadiWala.com
My FOSSIL purchased on the 24th of last month has become a 'fossil' in 2 weeks and has been returned to the factory.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:39   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My FOSSIL purchased on the 24th of last month has become a 'fossil' in 2 weeks and has been returned to the factory.
How did THAT happen? Obviously not a case of just the battery running down. Any discussion about replacement?
Old 19th September 2012, 13:06   #1563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How did THAT happen? Obviously not a case of just the battery running down. Any discussion about replacement?
There is no battery. Its from Fossil's Mechanical Automatic range. Powered by hand movements.

Which watch do you own?-me3022_main.jpg

When we keep it someplace at night, it stops. Time has to be corrected in the morning and it starts working again, deriving energy from hand movements. After two weeks - it got tired of the routine, i guess. There I was, slightly shaking it, rotating it, jerking it - and what not - to see if it can get some energy to start running again in the morning.

Yet to receive a phone call from them regarding the issue. Product was returned to a 'lifestyle' store. Will need to go there for follow-up this weekend.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th September 2012 at 13:08.
Old 19th September 2012, 14:14   #1564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its from Fossil's Mechanical Automatic range.
That's why the comment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Obviously not a case of just the battery running down.
Do you have the serial number and can trace the year of manufacture? Since it's supposed to be a current model, one shouldn't have such issues. Really old automatics, that happens sometimes (refusal to run all night after wearing all day).
Old 20th September 2012, 12:34   #1565
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Guys , Finally my custom made watch box is taking shape. Will end up in the range of 8 to 10k. I took reference from a post of JVH .
Then reverse worked the entire dimensions.

it will hold 24 watches. Will update once its completed. Here is shot .
Suggestion are welcome.

Which watch do you own?-20120919235-medium.jpg
Old 20th September 2012, 13:44   #1566
BHPian

Quote:

When we keep it someplace at night, it stops. Time has to be corrected in the morning and it starts working again, deriving energy from hand movements. After two weeks - it got tired of the routine, i guess. There I was, slightly shaking it, rotating it, jerking it - and what not - to see if it can get some energy to start running again in the morning.
That's exactly what should not be done to an Automatic watch. The best thing is to keep the watch in a watch winder when you are not wearing it. If that is not possible then the next best bet is to wind it manually.But before you do that please check if your watch is equipped with slipping clutch device ( which most of the modern Automatics have)
Old 20th September 2012, 14:33   #1567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit

That's exactly what should not be done to an Automatic watch. The best thing is to keep the watch in a watch winder when you are not wearing it. If that is not possible then the next best bet is to wind it manually.But before you do that please check if your watch is equipped with slipping clutch device ( which most of the modern Automatics have)
I have no idea what watch winder, and slipping clutch does? You mean to say- simply keeping it on a stand won't work at night?
Old 20th September 2012, 14:44   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea what watch winder, and slipping clutch does? You mean to say- simply keeping it on a stand won't work at night?
I wear my Seiko automatic pretty much on a daily basis, and whenever I keep it aside to wear another watch, it keeps time for at least 20-24 hours before stopping. So, here's a question - if you wear the watch for 12 hours continuously, say from 9 AM to 9 PM, and then keep it somewhere, does it stop even then? If yes, then there's a problem and you should get it checked.

Also, please check if you are keeping it near any magnetic object, 'cause my watch's manual says "Your watch will be adversely affected by strong magnetism. Keep it away from close contact with magnetic objects."

EDIT: Question to the Gurus here. The Seiko automatic mentioned above gains 5-6 minutes after having been worn for 2-3 weeks at a stretch. After that, it doesn't gain any more and keeps consistent time [i.e consistently 5-6 minutes fast ]. Is this behaviour okay, or should I get it checked?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th September 2012 at 14:52.
Old 20th September 2012, 15:17   #1569
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Was gifted this Tissot. Not sure how much it costs.

Which watch do you own?-tiss1.jpg

Which watch do you own?-tiss2.jpg
Old 20th September 2012, 16:23   #1570
JVH
Senior - BHPian

crazy_driver, your watch needs an overhaul/service. There's no way a self winding/automatic will stop during the night after wearing the watch for a whole day. Typically most automatics have power reserve of atleast 30 hours. Considering that its a new watch, pls get it replaced.

On the watch winder, am personally not a fan of it. I would prefer a mechanical piece to rest a while rather than operate round the clock through a watch winder. The best option is to go for an automatic which also has the manual winding option with a screw down crown. Most of the modern automatics come in with this option.

Vikram, your watch should ideally gain 3-5 mins max over that period considering that most Seiko automatics gain 6-10 secs per day.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:16   #1571
Senior - BHPian

A watch I wanna own SNA411.

I have heard of/seen it but just got to know what all it can do.

The bidirectional rotating slide rule bezel is used for performing many types of calculations and conversions like:

Rule-of-three calculation
Square root calculation
Time, speed and distance calculations
Fuel consumption rate
Fuel quantity required
Remaining cruising time
Climbing altitude, climbing rate, climbing time

Unit conversion scale: Nautical mile, Statute mile, Kilometer, feet, US Gallons, Imperial Gallons, Kilogram, pounds, fuel pounds, oil pounds, miles per hour.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:07   #1572
BHPian

My new G shock -" King of G " , GX 56

Big , Bold , Tough & Beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-gx-56-king.jpg  

Old 20th September 2012, 18:12   #1573
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
A watch I wanna own SNA411.

I have heard of/seen it but just got to know what all it can do.

The bidirectional rotating slide rule bezel is used for performing many types of calculations and conversions like:

Rule-of-three calculation
Square root calculation
Time, speed and distance calculations
Fuel consumption rate
Fuel quantity required
Remaining cruising time
Climbing altitude, climbing rate, climbing time

Unit conversion scale: Nautical mile, Statute mile, Kilometer, feet, US Gallons, Imperial Gallons, Kilogram, pounds, fuel pounds, oil pounds, miles per hour.
Yup JK I recently brought the watch. The watch is beautiful but these stated calculation needs a microscope as the prints are very small.

check the photo around pg 95.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:05   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yikes. Got a similar mechanical Fossil watch - one of two Fossils that I have. Some time back (actually over 2 years ago) the leather strap broke; I inquired around for a replacement; however didn't get any good options, so kept this task to be completed later. And you know how that goes.

Guess I'll have to go home (i.e. around 600kms) to have a look at the watch to confirm if it is still working!

Btw I never had the problem faced by you. As correctly mentioned by others, wearing the watch throughout the day was more than enough to get the watch to survive the night without any issues.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:01   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Watch winder is a device which can be battery operated or mains operated. When you are planning on not using your Automatic/mechanical watch for a period which is more than its power reserve then you put your watch on it and turn it on. It replicates a moving motion and keeps the watch working.These can be of 100s of type from very basic ones which rotate in just one direction to the most complex ones which replicates excat motion of a human hand with built in timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
crazy_driver, your watch needs an overhaul/service. There's no way a self winding/automatic will stop during the night after wearing the watch for a whole day. Typically most automatics have power reserve of atleast 30 hours. Considering that its a new watch, pls get it replaced.

On the watch winder, am personally not a fan of it. I would prefer a mechanical piece to rest a while rather than operate round the clock through a watch winder. The best option is to go for an automatic which also has the manual winding option with a screw down crown. Most of the modern automatics come in with this option.
You are absolutely right on the automatics having power reserve and should not stop over night if worn throught out the previous day. However some times when you spend most of the day sitting doing a desk job then the automatics doesnt gets wound properly and they stop working at night when they are not worn.
One is not supposed to put a watch on a watch winder just for an over night period. Watch winders are used when you are putting a watch aside for a lengthy period of time and it is recommended by all the high end manufacturers.
Coming on to the " manual winding option with a screw down crown" bit , none of the "refined" watch makers have many watches in their range which has a screw down crown. ( Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe etc). Though Rolex does have a few of the models which has got a screw down crown but on a personal note I do not consider Rolex a "refined" watch maker ( even though I own a couple of them)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks