Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 19:33   #1711
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

since you said for accuracy one needs to opt for a quartz watch. If so then why are quartz watches from various brands priced lower than "inaccurate" mechanical/automatic watches? I do love mechanical watches no doubt in that as I can't seem to get the hmts off my wrist.

But why the higher market price of these mechanical watches? Is it the old world charm? Or is it something else?
You answered it yourself. Not only it has a charm, people feel connected to watches which move either by the movement of your hands or by your hand winding. And you really have to appreciate the compact engineering packed together in just less than 50mm dia. Another reason is the watchmakers of these automatics command high wages for their skill.

Drool on this one now and compare it with the other.
Which watch do you own?-automatic.jpg

Which watch do you own?-quartz.jpg

Quote:

One more query: the omega watches that you have imported, what were the shipping charges? And were there any custom hassles? I see the Seiko models priced much lower than what they sell for here. Whats your advice?
Shipping charges will range from 25$ to 150$ depending on the postal service, packing and the insurance options you opt for. Customs will be typically 30% of the invoice value.

If you have liked and tried a Seiko on your wrist, no harm in importing. I guess with shipping and taxes, it will be slightly expensive compared to your local dealer. But please don't do online shopping without trying it. You will be amazed by how many of them look good on the screen and rubbish on your wrist.

Last edited by JVH : 1st November 2012 at 19:37.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:59   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
You answered it yourself. Not only it has a charm, people feel connected to watches which move either by the movement of your hands or by your hand winding. And you really have to appreciate the compact engineering packed together in just less than 50mm dia. Another reason is the watchmakers of these automatics command high wages for their skill.

Drool on this one now and compare it with the other.
Attachment 1008850
This one looks so beautiful. I kept drooling on this for over 2 full minutes. I've always had a fascination for mechanical watches, but I always thought only Rolex, omega and other high end watch manufacturers made them. Did not have a clue that Seiko made mechanical watches and that too at such reasonable prices. Every single thing about a mechanical watch is fascinating. The way the second hand moves, or the movements that can be seen through the window all such tiny little things make it more enchanting. The quartz watches are boringly plain.

This looks very ugly in comparison to the mechanical one. My god what is this. But then I find nothing special about Quartz watches. Although I've had a few of them till now, but now Im completely into collecting mechanical watches.

Quote:
Shipping charges will range from 25$ to 150$ depending on the postal service, packing and the insurance options you opt for. Customs will be typically 30% of the invoice value.
Thanks for this bit of info. International order makes sense if I order in bulk to negate the shipping charges.

Quote:
But please don't do online shopping without trying it. You will be amazed by how many of them look good on the screen and rubbish on your wrist.
Ah, I know what you mean. Experienced this today and thanked my stars for not going the online route.

So I had gone to Ethos @ Orion today to pickup or rather checkout the Seiko SNZF11K1 watch which has been the topic of discussion on this thread for the past few days. I got no discounts on its MRP of 12800. But then no other shops were also interested in giving discounts. No worries. I had read all about this model and thus decided on getting it.

But then my mind suddenly began to wander around the showroom looking for other watches. The Sales Advisor showed me a Tissot and other watches, which frankly didn't interest me, as most of them were quartz and the mechanical ones didn't have a good lume.

Back to Seiko range then. Checked out the Kinetic drive. Sweet piece of engineering it is. Loved it. But I wish they had a diver's version of that. Nor did they have the FrankenMonster watch. I was sold on that model and would've bought it without any hesitation.

Now I noticed a few 5 series that seemed to be of a newer style. Didn't like most of them till I came across SRP167K1. Although the watch wasn't that great of a looker as compared to the earlier SNZF11K1, but this watch could be worn easily with my formals as well as casuals. So decided to opt for it after a bit of dilemma in choosing between the two.

Cost me 14.5k INR. What do you guys think? Have I made a good choice by going with this model?

A pic of the watch
Which watch do you own?-img20121101wa0014.jpg

and two more from online sources:-
Which watch do you own?-fbcover.jpg
Which watch do you own?-srp165k1dark2.jpg

P.S. CRV2010 and Arindambasu13 I've sent you pm.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 2nd November 2012 at 00:07.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:15   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost me 14.5k INR. What do you guys think? Have I made a good choice by going with this model?
Looks beautiful! The numbers in red make a nice contrast to the classic black and white theme on the rest of the watch. Good choice!

EDIT: Does this have a see through back and screw down crown too?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd November 2012 at 09:17.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:03   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Looks beautiful! The numbers in red make a nice contrast to the classic black and white theme on the rest of the watch. Good choice!

EDIT: Does this have a see through back and screw down crown too?

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks The lume would've been brighter if the dial was white.

Yes it does have a see through back and a screw down crown. The bezel is metal, something that I liked. The other models seemed like they had a metallic bezel when viewed online, but in reality they had a glass one and I didn't like it.

This is the best I could manage to click of the back cover.
Which watch do you own?-asfasfafdaf.jpg

Is there any way that I can fit such a back cover on my hmts?
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:22   #1715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Thanks The lume would've been brighter if the dial was white.

Yes it does have a see through back and a screw down crown. The bezel is metal, something that I liked. The other models seemed like they had a metallic bezel when viewed online, but in reality they had a glass one and I didn't like it.

Is there any way that I can fit such a back cover on my hmts?
Million dollar question. How long does the lume last in dark? And does the brightness match your expectations?
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:36   #1716
Senior - BHPian

The most popular of the Edifice series I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-photo_1351832217252-large.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2012, 10:42   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. CRV2010 and Arindambasu13 I've sent you pm.
Hi Partha,

Congratulations on the watch, it looks brilliant. Seiko 5 series watches are real clean and sporty designs, just love them.

Co-incidentally, I was at the Mumbai airport day before yesterday on some work, and was checking out the very same models inside the Ethos which is housed within the airport. And guess what, this very same model caught my attention too. The red infusion really lends it a sporty air. I found it fantastic to look at.

My decision to go for the earlier model (in relation to which you have PMed me) has been postponed for some financial constraints, hence I would not be picking it up now. And after looking at the other Seiko 5 models (including the one you bought), I have fallen in love with some of the other designs too
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:57   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case you want it, you can get a soft copy of the user guide for this watch [caliber 4R36] here:

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/...7S26_35_36.pdf

It might be different from what you would've got with the watch, but IMO, the instructions in it are a little bit easier to follow.

User guides for Seiko watches of other calibers can be found here:

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/index.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd November 2012 at 10:58.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:26   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The most popular of the Edifice series I guess.
@jk: nice watch
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:25   #1720
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a watch to gift
Male
Budget: 5K max
Movement: Any
Dial size: 40 mm and above
Band: Steel/Leather

Any suggestions friends?
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:40   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Male

Any suggestions friends?
Latheesh, please go through this thread, maybe you can find something that catches your eye. Also, maybe you can visit the watchkart website and run a search with your requirements. Look through the Casio Edifice range, it seems suitable.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:09   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Casio is definitely an option and you might just be able to get a Seiko or a Skagen as well depending on the discounts you can discover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Male

Any suggestions friends?
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:42   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Million dollar question. How long does the lume last in dark? And does the brightness match your expectations?
Yes same here. So i checked out the lume yesterday. Kept it for half an hour in the evening sun about 5pm to 520pm. Then closed the curtains and switched off all lights and checked the lume. It was as bright as the picture above. Nothing special i felt since even the hmt pilot glows that much.

The real test started with my hmt, edifice and seiko side by side in the dark. The edifices glow lasted for half an hour to 45mins max. The hmt glow also for twenty minutes but its of no use as the hour and minute hands dont glow.

The seiko lasted for about 12hours. Checked once more in the morning 6am and it was glowing but diminished. The first few hours it was as bright as in the above picture.

Im now pleased with this watch. I always wanted something that glows for a long time and within my budget seiko makes perfect sense.

Today im testing out its lume after exposing to tubelight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

Hi Partha,

My decision to go for the earlier model (in relation to which you have PMed me) has been postponed for some financial constraints, hence I would not be picking it up now. And after looking at the other Seiko 5 models (including the one you bought), I have fallen in love with some of the other designs too
Yes the earlier model no doubt is beautiful. Its lume is more brighter due to white dial reflecting every bit of the lume. Go with what you like. Seiko is excellent vfm. Tatas automatic watches start from 13k and i don't like them. Seiko is a much better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

In case you want it, you can get a soft copy of the user guide for this watch [caliber 4R36] here:

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes ive always wandered how you got the links for lumibrite. Thanks for these. My caliber is indeed the 4R36. And the instruction manual isn't much helpful. Its just a few pages in english. Thanks for this.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd November 2012 at 19:49.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:03   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,I want to find out whether my corum is a real one or an replica.can someone help me out
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_5069.jpg  

Old 5th November 2012, 04:19   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Hi guys,I want to find out whether my corum is a real one or an replica.can someone help me out

May be I'm wrong but I feel it is replica Corum bubble watch. Reason to believe it could be replica because of the print quality and alignment of Corum on the bridge.

Also I referred couple of online pictures to identify the exact model but the mechanism and front face on all the originals have different construction.

Again, I could be wrong but you need take the exact model number and try to compare yourself with available online sources, otherwise send all the serial number and pictures to corum and ask them if they could recognize the watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks