Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 15:48   #1816
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
It is for daily use. Chrono is not required . Budget is within 10k. I am ok with basic function and not much interested in dual time and other things because I already have other watches with more features .
You may get a Seiko 5 Automatic if there is a discount running around. I think in Ethos the range starts from 12K (without discount). I remember seeing just a week ago some fresh designs in one of the outlets. They too were in the same range.

Citizens come to mind next but they are mostly popular for their Eco-drive technology than automatics. But fantastic watches for the budget.

And then you can buy 2~3 HMTs, play around with the straps all in 10K :-). HMT NASS/NASL, ADSS/ADSL models are pretty good value for daily wear. I myself have 3 of them.

I have no experience with TITAN watches but I guess their automatics may come in your budget as well.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:07   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

I have no experience with TITAN watches but I guess their automatics may come in your budget as well.
Having used and suffered from TITAN service quality, id suggest to stay away from Titan Automatics as well as Quartz chronographs. No matter how many times I give for service, they cant fix the problems. Got numerous problems as faulty buttons, misting of the dials, faulty day and date. Ive given up wearing Titan altogether.

Btw JVH sir can you explain something to me. Ive got a few quartz chronographs ranging from 5k to 15k range of various brands. A recurring problem i see in all of them is the starting point of the seconds hand of the chrono keeps moving clockwise with multiple uses. What causes this behavior of the watch?
Also is this behaviour absent in higher end models?

Can you advise which would be a good automatic or mechanical chrono watch within 20-25k range? Not acquiring immediately but saving up for such a watch. Havent decided on the models yet. Having used a few mechanical watches Ive fallen for their movements and would never like to go back to quartz.

Another query is will an Automatic develop any problems if it is left unused for a week or two? Im using the HMTs as daily wear and my Seiko 5 on occasions and thus fearing if any problem may arise due to erratic infrequent uses?

Thanks

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 17th January 2013 at 20:10.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:44   #1818
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
can you explain something to me. Ive got a few quartz chronographs ranging from 5k to 15k range of various brands. A recurring problem i see in all of them is the starting point of the seconds hand of the chrono keeps moving clockwise with multiple uses. What causes this behavior of the watch?
Also is this behaviour absent in higher end models?
I'm not sure I understood you clearly. You are talking about the central seconds hand or the continuously rotating small seconds hand in the chrono? The small seconds hand is never affected by any chrono function. The central seconds hand, as you already know is used as a stop watch to capture the elapsed time by using the chrono buttons and then reset back to 0 seconds. I have 2 quartz chronographs of Tissot and Festina and I have not encountered this problem at all. In automatics, I have handled only an Omega speedmaster and Tissot PRS 516 in watch shops and these 2 also did not have the problem. But I confess I never paid much attention on this either. Very soon I'll be getting an automatic chronograph and let me check and write my observations.

Quote:

Can you advise which would be a good automatic or mechanical chrono watch within 20-25k range? Not acquiring immediately but saving up for such a watch. Havent decided on the models yet. Having used a few mechanical watches Ive fallen for their movements and would never like to go back to quartz.
There aren't many automatics within 25K range. You may get Victorinox Swiss Army for 30K though. Tissots and Hamiltons will be between 40K-50K. Yes, Auto chronos are expensive because of the mechanical complications involved. But they are beauty, aren't they? I have already taken the plunge and ordered for an Auto chrono. It costs me a bomb but I always wanted an elegant and simple dressy chrono.

Quote:

Another query is will an Automatic develop any problems if it is left unused for a week or two? Im using the HMTs as daily wear and my Seiko 5 on occasions and thus fearing if any problem may arise due to erratic infrequent uses?
No problems at all. Some of mine lay in the box for almost a month without any issues. Some folks are very fussy about this and buy automatic watch winders but am not one of them.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:30   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure I understood you clearly. You are talking about the central seconds hand or the continuously rotating small seconds hand in the chrono? The small seconds hand is never affected by any chrono function. The central seconds hand, as you already know is used as a stop watch to capture the elapsed time by using the chrono buttons and then reset back to 0 seconds.
Yes its the central seconds hand that works when the stop watch is started. After resetting the stop watch, it now comes back to 1 o'clock position instead of the usual 12 o'clock. Another one has moved on to the 2o'clock position. One of my titan chronos' minute hand of the stop watch now starts from 1 o'clock instead of the 12o'clock position. They havent been able to rectify it though.

Quote:
Yes, Auto chronos are expensive because of the mechanical complications involved. But they are beauty, aren't they? I have already taken the plunge and ordered for an Auto chrono. It costs me a bomb but I always wanted an elegant and simple dressy chrono.
Congrats on the acquisition. Which one did you fall for?

Quote:
No problems at all. Some of mine lay in the box for almost a month without any issues. Some folks are very fussy about this and buy automatic watch winders but am not one of them.
Ah, the watch winder. The Ethos guys showed one to me. I think it was around 3000 or 4000 Rs. It however was no use for me, now that Ive put my automatic to use every alternate day.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:10   #1820
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes its the central seconds hand that works when the stop watch is started. After resetting the stop watch, it now comes back to 1 o'clock position instead of the usual 12 o'clock. Another one has moved on to the 2o'clock position. One of my titan chronos' minute hand of the stop watch now starts from 1 o'clock instead of the 12o'clock position. They havent been able to rectify it though.
Hmmmm most likely the reset lever spring or the reset hammer and cam are the culprit. Only way to check is to open the heart and work on it. Better to hand it over to an expert watchmaker and have it examined. I have never faced that problem though.

Quote:

Congrats on the acquisition. Which one did you fall for?
Thanks! Its a STOWA 1938. My shortlists were Omega Speedmaster, Longines master collection and STOWA. My preference was a dressy chronograph and STOWA was just perfect. Besides I've requested for a personalized hand graving and a deployment clasp. I didn't even know about the brand last year and I only know of it now because of a good friend and colleague in Switzerland. Its a typical German design with an exquisite finish. Have to see it to believe it.

Which watch do you own?-chrono1938schwarzdetail_6.jpg

Which watch do you own?-chrono1938schwarzdetail_9-1.jpg

My next one will probably be a Sea-gull white china dial one. Its a beauty too. But it will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-chrono1938schwarzdetail_9.jpg  

Old 21st January 2013, 13:14   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
It is for daily use. Chrono is not required . Budget is within 10k. I am ok with basic function and not much interested in dual time and other things because I already have other watches with more features .
Go for the Seiko 5 series. Elegant and reasonably priced.

You can search this thread for the reviews. I personally find it amazing value for money.

Titan is your other choice.

Thanks,
Tapish
Old 24th January 2013, 16:07   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Would anyone know if I can get good NATO straps in India?
So I went looking in Pune. Turns out that the folks at "C.T. Pundole & Sons" on MG Road thought I was saying "National Strap" when I kept asking for a NATO strap. Fail No. 1.

Then I headed to the shop next door, I think it was called Just In Time. There the good lady insisted on repeating "METAL STRAP" when I said NATO. "You won't get a metal strap with a velcro Sir!" Fail No. 2.

If you don't know what it is, pretend to mishear!

So now what? Anybody? I'd like to have 3-4 NATO straps, and I'd be really grateful if someone'd tell me where I can get them. Am I asking for a lot?
Old 24th January 2013, 17:15   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
So now what? Anybody? I'd like to have 3-4 NATO straps, and I'd be really grateful if someone'd tell me where I can get them. Am I asking for a lot?
Timex has a couple of models n their "Expedition" range with NATO-like straps.

Check out models MF12 and MF46 here: http://www.timexindia.com/products.aspx?brand=1&cate2=3

So, there's a chance that some Timex showroom has a stock of similar watch straps. If they [or any other watch shop] don't understand "NATO straps", ask for nylon straps instead.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 24th January 2013, 17:47   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Timex has a couple of models n their "Expedition" range with NATO-like straps.
Thanks Vikram
Timex was the first place I headed to when looking for something like this in Bangalore, and the strap I'm using on my Pilot right now is in fact one from the Expedition series. Quite comfortable, with a velcro and all. But it has prominent rubber inserts advertising its pedigree. I'd rather have the authentic NATO strap with metal buckles and hoops.

I just checked out a colleague's Timex Expedition MF12. It has a 2-piece strap.

Oh yeah, when they didn't understand NATO I said "single piece, nylon" etc. No lightbulbs.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 24th January 2013, 18:04   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Just got a Tommy Watch with the current 40% discount offer. I had no plans on getting one, but I just loved the dial of this watch. Happened to see the same watch on Flipkart later with an EMI option and wasted no time in picking it up !

I know a lot of watch guru's would say Tommy is a fashion brand, etc... but what the hell, it does have decent brand value...
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-tommy.jpeg  

Old 25th January 2013, 08:43   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
ts a STOWA 1938. My shortlists were Omega Speedmaster, Longines master collection and STOWA. My preference was a dressy chronograph and STOWA was just perfect. Besides I've requested for a personalized hand graving and a deployment clasp. I didn't even know about the brand last year and I only know of it now because of a good friend and colleague in Switzerland. Its a typical German design with an exquisite finish. Have to see it to believe it.
Excellent choice JVH. Gotta love the clean design. The Flieger is also stunning!
Was there a wait period when you ordered? heard about significant order backlog as they only sell through their website.

Last edited by C300 : 25th January 2013 at 08:44. Reason: Formatting
Old 25th January 2013, 09:31   #1827
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Excellent choice JVH. Gotta love the clean design. The Flieger is also stunning!
Was there a wait period when you ordered? heard about significant order backlog as they only sell through their website.
Thank you C300!
The waiting period was about 2 months when I ordered a month ago. I received a mail from the customer service last week saying that my watch will be ready in 3 weeks. So, hopefully I should have it with me by end of Feb. Really looking forward to it :-)

I had actually requested STOWA and Jorge Schauer for a manual hand wind Kulisse chornograph. Unfortunately they have stopped taking orders for the Kulisse and they instead convinced me to go for STOWA since the design elements are almost the same. I'm also keeping an eye on Kulisse. Let us see ;-)

Last edited by JVH : 25th January 2013 at 09:46.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:51   #1828
BHPian

Can anyone shed some light on Morellato?
How good/bad are they?
There are some good offers going right now, so I thought I might pick up a model that I think looks nice..
Old 28th January 2013, 19:38   #1829
BHPian

Bought this one from Jabong.com over the weekend (and it was delivered this afternoon - WOW) for just 6k (MRP 13.5K, 40% discount + 26% off republic day offer). Could not resist & ended up buying it.

Always wanted to buy a skeleton watch & here I have one

Last edited by null : 28th January 2013 at 19:48.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:17   #1830
BHPian

A few from my collection:
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-watch-1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-watch.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-watch-2.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-watch-3.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks