Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:17   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Again Casio comes to mind - with series such as the G shock / Protek , they are definitely front runners as a brand for such items.

The only problem with some of the G-shocks is that they are quite bulky looking , i dont know what your take on that would be - maybe a bit too informal?

Most watch brands would have a line up which caters to the outdoors , casio comes to me first givne how easily available it is as well as economical - there are always other brands such as Tissot etc but then things start getting a bit premium - and as far as i am concerned , if i am spending 15,000 on a watch then i am going to protect it from as many elements as i possibly can even if its meant to be an outdoor model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Puchoo. Wouldn't prefer Nike/Reebok kind of watches, but something that's elegant enough to be worn outside the pool as well. Or maybe my knowledge of sports watches is too limited

Will definitely try out Casio ones and see if something fits the bill. BTW, in general terms, which brand is considered rugged enough for outdoor activities?
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:18   #1067
BHPian

Bought 3 HMT watches today , Black Dial Pilot (Rs.700),Pocket watch with roman numerals(rs.900) & NASL Automatic in blue dial(Rs.3200),this piece blew me perfect weight,elegant and very good strap .am going to cherish these for long time to come .

A special word to Mr.Khaleel ,owner of AK watches Abids in procuring the watches in a day's time .
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-hmt-pocket-watch.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-modest-collection.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-hmt-automatic-nasl.jpg  

Last edited by rm_arjuna : 3rd October 2011 at 22:23. Reason: added pics
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:27   #1068
Senior - BHPian

A nice looking set!!

Which is the one on the extreme left of the box - it looks very familiar to a Skagen i saw recently as well as a Kenneth cole , but i dont think its either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Bought 3 HMT watches today , Black Dial Pilot (Rs.700),Pocket watch with roman numerals(rs.900) & NASL Automatic in blue dial(Rs.3200),this piece blew me perfect weight,elegant and very good strap .am going to cherish these for long time to come .

A special word to Mr.Khaleel ,owner of AK watches Abids in procuring the watches in a day's time .
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:37   #1069
BHPian

Mine's a Timex expedition. It has been faithfully serving me for the last 2 years. No issues so far.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:39   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Its a lovely looking piece and i hope it keeps ticking away for many many years to come. A great brand with fabulous products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Mine's a Timex expedition. It has been faithfully serving me for the last 2 years. No issues so far.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:04   #1071
Senior - BHPian

I am posting here for suggestions, since we have a lot of members here with good knowledge of watches.

I do not own a watch currently and have lived without one for almost two years now.

I have had a Sakura, a Timex Vista from 2002 (which gave up one me within 4 years) and a 'Reebok' branded watch (free with some purchase) whose glass cracked within 2 months. That I did not love any of them is quite clear.

I am now looking to purchase a watch priced at around Rs 10,000/-. The qualities I am looking for are as follows:

1. Robust: it would be great if it could last a lifetime, but at least a decade or so.
2. Not large, since I have a small wrist and a moderate build.
3. Not very flashy, since it goes totally against my own sense of dressing and behaviour.
4. Good looking, well proportioned with clear and elegant numerals and typefaces.
5. Resistent to sweat as I tend to sweat a lot and that seems to have affected the coating of all the watches I have had earlier.

I know I am asking for too much for the kind of budget I have in mind. I have seen some watches from Citizen which I like. I am no sucker for 'luxury brands' (you can't be with that sort of budget) but I understand that Seiko and Citizen are reliable brands which make good watches. Of course, if there is nothing within this budget, then I can stretch it as well.

The thing is that with mobile phones around, watches are not absolute necessities. But I always felt good wearing even the not-so-good-ones that I had.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:38   #1072
BHPian

Hi architect,

You can try Tommy Hilfiger or an Esprit, i too have both the watches. I personally like styling of Tommy better than the Esprit, you will find number of choices under 10000.

Ravi
Old 4th October 2011, 09:03   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am posting here for suggestions, since we have a lot of members here with good knowledge of watches.

I do not own a watch currently and have lived without one for almost two years now.

I have had a Sakura, a Timex Vista from 2002 (which gave up one me within 4 years) and a 'Reebok' branded watch (free with some purchase) whose glass cracked within 2 months. That I did not love any of them is quite clear.

I am now looking to purchase a watch priced at around Rs 10,000/-. The qualities I am looking for are as follows:

1. Robust: it would be great if it could last a lifetime, but at least a decade or so.
3. Not very flashy, since it goes totally against my own sense of dressing and behaviour.
4. Good looking, well proportioned with clear and elegant numerals and typefaces.
5. Resistent to sweat as I tend to sweat a lot and that seems to have affected the coating of all the watches I have had earlier.

I know I am asking for too much for the kind of budget I have in mind. I have seen some watches from Citizen which I like. I am no sucker for 'luxury brands' (you can't be with that sort of budget) but I understand that Seiko and Citizen are reliable brands which make good watches. Of course, if there is nothing within this budget, then I can stretch it as well.

The thing is that with mobile phones around, watches are not absolute necessities. But I always felt good wearing even the not-so-good-ones that I had.
To be honest, I've never worn expensive watches (read-upwards of Rs.5000) - but every single watch I have bought in the past has served me well (with just cell changes every 2 odd years). This goes back to 1994 when I had an HMT (I got tired of it, but the watch continued to work). Changed to a Titan (I still have that watch and it works), then to some gold plated watch brand (Rs.4,500 odd was the price) and now a Timex expedition. As long as it is water proof and resistant to withstand normal wear and tear, you should not have a problem. If you are not stuck on a particular price point, you'll find watches aplenty in the sub Rs.5000 range which will serve you loyally for years to come.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:58   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Folks, reading this thread I realized that being an avid swimmer, it would be great to have a watch I can wear inside the pool (and if possible, be able to note lap timings, although wouldn't consider it a necessary requirement).

Any good suggestions for a sporty looking watch that looks good, within say a 10K price range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The qualities I am looking for are as follows:

.........I understand that Seiko and Citizen are reliable brands which make good watches. Of course, if there is nothing within this budget, then I can stretch it as well.
If both of you are okay with automatics [rather than quartz] watches, then the Seiko 5 range is a good option.

SEIKO 5 - Sports| SEIKO WATCH India Pvt. Ltd.

There are several models on this webpage which should satisfy the above criteria. I myself am planning to buy the SNZF17K1 [a variant of the SNZF11K1 shown on the above webpage].

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th October 2011, 10:24   #1075
Senior - BHPian

i personally like Seiko quite a lot , its a good strong brand. The sweating affecting the coating depends from the finish they have given to the strap as well - i faced a similar problem once with an earlier Casio and post purchasing the Tissot and the Seiko i follow one simple rule which is to wipe down ( irrespective of sweat) the strap properly after taking it off especially around the bends and the joints.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:33   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
A nice looking set!!

Which is the one on the extreme left of the box -
It is citizen Quartz, got 2 dials to setup 2 different timezones,pretty useful when travelling.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:50   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post

Lovely collection Arjun. The NASL automatic looks great.

Noob question guys - can someone explain the pros and cons of Automatic and Quartz watches please.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:04   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i personally like Seiko quite a lot , its a good strong brand. The sweating affecting the coating depends from the finish they have given to the strap as well - i faced a similar problem once with an earlier Casio and post purchasing the Tissot and the Seiko i follow one simple rule which is to wipe down ( irrespective of sweat) the strap properly after taking it off especially around the bends and the joints.
As I wear my watch always, I just clean it with soap while bathing. Of course I always have a steel case and a steel band watch. That keeps the case and the straps, include the inner portions, sparkling clean and shining.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:27   #1079
Senior - BHPian

I am very happy and comfortable doing that with my casio but i stay away from water with the seiko and the Tissot - purely a caution related directly to expense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As I wear my watch always, I just clean it with soap while bathing. Of course I always have a steel case and a steel band watch. That keeps the case and the straps, include the inner portions, sparkling clean and shining.
Old 4th October 2011, 14:12   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very happy and comfortable doing that with my casio but i stay away from water with the seiko and the Tissot - purely a caution related directly to expense!
Not required if its a divers watch with its crown screwed down

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks