Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:56   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I was confused between the Orange Monster and my Big Freaking Kinetic (as its fondly called) when i was planning to make the purchase. Orange Monster has a cult following.
Here it is, for your viewing pleasure!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1666842
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:17   #1052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Could you please share a pic, model # and if you don't mind, the price too?
I have uploaded the brochure. Price has been sent this morning my PM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Consatellation_38.pdf (125.0 KB, 612 views)
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:47   #1053
BHPian

One Sonata that too got as gift
Oh forgot to add One timex for last 15 years

Last edited by bullboy : 23rd September 2011 at 16:50.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:44   #1054
BHPian

Recently acquired a casio protek PAW1500T-7V
reviews : Simple amazing....A good watch for sportz wear,weekend wear and outdoor wear.
Old 24th September 2011, 00:51   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Aditya, useful piece of info that. I myself recently picked up a Seiko 5 Automatic.

Btw, is there any catalog of HMT watches ? Where did you look /. how did you select the model ?

Ah..a Seiko, I would love to own one. I checked out Seiko as well. Unfortunately the Showroom had no automatics. They had a pretty good wall clock collection though.

Catalog of HMT watches!! Haven't seen one anywhere till now. You would need a RTI application just to get info on the availability of the watches. Luckily, I knew of the Pilot and I just wanted it. So, I just had to search for a seller.
Probably a showroom might have it. From what I know, HMT have stopped manufacturing these watches and a selling whatever stock is left. They had quite a few mechanical watches. However, they all use the same Citizen movement.
Old 24th September 2011, 07:40   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

@Aditya, yes - the showrooms did not have the full collection, though they said they can get us most models seen on their on-line catalogue.

HMT did not use Citizen movements in the sense that the movements were made here, but with Citizen machines.

Have you posted a pic of your watch ? I tried to google for the catalogue, but there's nothing accessible online.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:04   #1057
BHPian

@Condor,
Yes, you are correct. HMT bought the license to produce the movements here.

Will do, I have changed the strap from the normal rubber ones to Tan leather. Which cost as much as the watch.

I haven't found any catalogue online as well.
Old 30th September 2011, 05:57   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
I have always loved Automatics and Mechanical watches.
I find automatic watches interesting but have always had problems after a few months of use and the service centers haven't been able to fix them. My last automatic watch was a Longines and it would stop any time in the middle of the day and then start up on its own so I wouldn't know that the watch was running behind. It didn't take as much movement earlier for the watch to run all day and the server center folk deny that there's anything wrong with it. Similar experience with my last automatic (can't remember the brand. Citizen perhaps?) - it would either gain time or lose time depending on the activity and a trip to the service center didn't help.

The quartz watches I had always ran perfectly. Mostly Seiko and Citizen with a few digital Casios from when I was a kid. They last almost forever - all I need to do is change the batteries!
Old 30th September 2011, 09:31   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I find automatic watches interesting but have always had problems after a few months of use and the service centers haven't been able to fix them. My last automatic watch was a Longines and it would stop any time in the middle of the day and then start up on its own so I wouldn't know that the watch was running behind. It didn't take as much movement earlier for the watch to run all day and the server center folk deny that there's anything wrong with it. Similar experience with my last automatic (can't remember the brand. Citizen perhaps?) - it would either gain time or lose time depending on the activity and a trip to the service center didn't help.

The quartz watches I had always ran perfectly. Mostly Seiko and Citizen with a few digital Casios from when I was a kid. They last almost forever - all I need to do is change the batteries!
In contrast I have never had any problem with automatic watches. The first one I got from a smuggler in Mumbai was a Seiko5 way back in 1968. That watch was worn till I got another Seko5. That was followed by a Tissot PR100 in 1998, still going strong and now to pamper myself I got a Rolex GMT-II in 2006.

I wear only one watch and it is there day, night, bath, swim every where. The only problem I find with mechanical watches is that they run a bit fast on my left wrist! So I adjust the time every couple of months. Otherwise none of the watches stopped on me. Neither did I get any of them serviced.

Some watches are delicate, and not recommended for abuse. These are "Dress Watches" - Longines, Patek Phillip etc, and should be worn only for formal occasions. On the other hand, Seiko5, Tissot and of course Rolex have extremely tough mechanism which lasts and lasts (at least for me).
Old 30th September 2011, 09:52   #1060
Senior - BHPian

^^ I still have a 1969 bought Seiko-5 that was handed down from my grandfather! I am wearing it this very moment! I found it and a '65 vintage Favre-Leuba Sea Chief while rummaging through our attic one day. Just got them overhauled at P.ORR & Sons @ Rs 400.00 a piece and both run beautifully. Accuracy is +/- 1 minute a week, but who cares!

Nobody wears mechanical watches for their terrific accuracy, only for the romance/nostalgia associated with them!
Old 30th September 2011, 12:18   #1061
F50
Senior - BHPian

Two new added to my drawer. Guess and Tommy now accompanies Seiko and Fossil.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:31   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Tissot PRC 200
Seiko
Casio chrono

and ofcourse timex!

Yes , i love watches. The one indulgence i have - after cars!
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:49   #1063
BHPian

Folks, reading this thread I realized that being an avid swimmer, it would be great to have a watch I can wear inside the pool (and if possible, be able to note lap timings, although wouldn't consider it a necessary requirement).

Any good suggestions for a sporty looking watch that looks good, within say a 10K price range?
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:07   #1064
Senior - BHPian

I am confident that the casio range would take care of this , mostly any watch will be able to suffice when it comes to water , for the keeping time track casio should have something - in fact event sports brands such as Nike/Reebok would have something and it would be well within 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Folks, reading this thread I realized that being an avid swimmer, it would be great to have a watch I can wear inside the pool (and if possible, be able to note lap timings, although wouldn't consider it a necessary requirement).

Any good suggestions for a sporty looking watch that looks good, within say a 10K price range?
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:35   #1065
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion Puchoo. Wouldn't prefer Nike/Reebok kind of watches, but something that's elegant enough to be worn outside the pool as well. Or maybe my knowledge of sports watches is too limited

Will definitely try out Casio ones and see if something fits the bill. BTW, in general terms, which brand is considered rugged enough for outdoor activities?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks