Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 12:01   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Yesterday's post lunch window shopping with wifey turned into an impromptu watch buying affair

I got my first G-Shock and she got herself a lovely watch from Titan !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img2011120300691.jpg  

Old 4th December 2011, 12:18   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yesterday's post lunch window shopping with wifey turned into an impromptu watch buying affair

I got my first G-Shock and she got herself a lovely watch from Titan !!!!
I had the same one, albeit a generation older, in school!
Used to throw it at walls to impress friends.....

What is the damage for this now?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 16:31   #1203
BHPian

Been seeing this thread since a while, but never got around systematically cataloging my watches. Decided to do that couple of weeks ago and have finally made an xls with the list, snaps (from web - whichever I could find, the rest looks like I will have to take pics on my own), date of possession (cant say purchase, as some of my watches are gifted - by my father, a watch aficionado himself, and some by my wife, who herself has a neat collection).

So, here is my list with year of possession:

1. Titan Quartz - 1992
2. Timex Indiglo - 1993
3. Tissot T52.1.421.13 - 2000
4. Guess Waterpro - 2001
5. Titan Classique - 2002
6. Tissot TXL Chronograph - 2004
7. Casio G-Shock - 2006 (my gym watch)
8. Cruiser Endurance - 2006
9. Seiko Chronograph - 2007
10. Tissot PRS 200 - 2007
11. Tissot PR 50 Sport - 2008
12. Westar Activ - 2008
13. Cartier Tank Americaine - 2008
14. Armani AR 0284 - 2009
16. Omega Seamaster - 2009
15. Tag Heuer Formula-1 - 2010
17. Longiness Hydroconquest - 2011
18. Armani Chronograph - 2011

Last edited by alabjarus : 4th December 2011 at 16:35.
Old 5th December 2011, 06:32   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Been seeing this thread since a while, but never got around systematically cataloging my watches. Decided to do that couple of weeks ago and have finally made an xls with the list, snaps (from web - whichever I could find, the rest looks like I will have to take pics on my own), date of possession (cant say purchase, as some of my watches are gifted - by my father, a watch aficionado himself, and some by my wife, who herself has a neat collection).

So, here is my list with year of possession:

1. Titan Quartz - 1992
2. Timex Indiglo - 1993
3. Tissot T52.1.421.13 - 2000
4. Guess Waterpro - 2001
5. Titan Classique - 2002
6. Tissot TXL Chronograph - 2004
7. Casio G-Shock - 2006 (my gym watch)
8. Cruiser Endurance - 2006
9. Seiko Chronograph - 2007
10. Tissot PRS 200 - 2007
11. Tissot PR 50 Sport - 2008
12. Westar Activ - 2008
13. Cartier Tank Americaine - 2008
14. Armani AR 0284 - 2009
16. Omega Seamaster - 2009
15. Tag Heuer Formula-1 - 2010
17. Longiness Hydroconquest - 2011
18. Armani Chronograph - 2011
Great collection mate! Do share some pics of your collection.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:50   #1205
Senior - BHPian

The story of my Tag Heuer

I simply wanted to announce that I have got a Tag Heuer Aquaracer, but then this has been my dream that I have been nurturing since the last 15 years, hence I thought a simple announcement would not do justice to it. Hence the story of my Tag Heuer.

Disclaimer: It will be a long one, so those who do not have the patience to read thru the story may just scroll down and see how it looks.

Year 1995 I had just finished college and had joined Taj Mumbai as a trainee. There used to be some shops between the New and the Old wing of the hotel. One of them was a watch shop and used to have a huge hoarding sporting a very smart Tag watch. I got so impressed with the watch that I used to just stand there and stare at it whenever I used to get time. One day I just entered the shop and asked for the price. All my hopes were dashed as at that time I definitely could not own one. But thats when I promised myself that one day I definitely will get a tag for myself.

Then as the years passed I joined the cruise liners and slowly but steadily my dream of owning a Tag started to become a reality. In the year 2001 we were visiting a port in Italy. Right opposite the pier they had duty free shops which had a Tag Showroom. I went there and liked one model. I told the shop guy that I will be back with cash in 10 minutes to pick it up. But being Italy it was their time for siesta. And the guy refused to keep the shop open for another minute. Damn these Italians, as by the time the shop would open again we would have sailed off. And we were not coming back to that port again as we were relocating to the Caribbean. So close to buy one yet so far.

As time passed I had bought myself a Citizen Eco-drive. It was a smart watch but still it was not a Tag. By 2002 I had started to invest my salary on ships towards starting my business in Jaipur so the cash inflow towards luxuries was curbed. So owning a Tag became a distant dream again.

In the year 2003, I had decided that by 2004 I would leave the ship's as I would like to get married then and concentrate on building my own business and then finally settle down in Jaipur.

The Tag itch had to be curbed, but it never completely subsided. Early 2004 I decided that I might as well give a last ditch effort on owning one. I decided to sell my Citizen eco drive along with a few other things like extra cell phones and a camera. The rest of the money would have to be channeled from the one allotted to the business.

Selling of used items is a pretty easy affair on the ship. A raffle draw is organised and the participants buy tickets. A ticket may cost 10$ and the organiser depending on the number of items and type of items he is selling decides how many tickets to sell. So basically the winner owns a watch for 10$ and the orgainser like this recovers most of the money on investment.

So a raffle draw was orgainsed and the winner of the watch happened to be an Indian. I went to give him the watch and to congratulate him. But he didnt seem to be happy. On finding out the reason I learnt that stainless steel bracelets and dials give him a rash on his skin so he only wears those digital watches with leather, hence he was not so keen on the watch.

Well I told him to sell it off again, so he asked me if I would buy it back? So I asked him how much. He told me he had spent 10$ on the ticket and if he made 50$ over it he would be happy.

So by the end of the day I was back with my Citizen eco drive and moreover I had earned 240$ on it. Now with a watch already I thought might as well use it and leave the Tag for later.

Now comes November, 2011. Its been almost 7 years being in India, happily married and settled with a daughter and a wonderful wife. So again the tag itch erupts and I start to look for one on the net.

I decide against buying one over the net as the fake ones are doing roaring business and I do not want to be cheated. I visit a showroom in Jaipur and shortlist two Tag watches, but decide against buying from them beacuse firstly they are rude and secondly I am told that NCR would offer better discounts.

Luckily I have to visit NCR for a day on the 29th of November and visit the showroom in Gurgaon. Unfortunately, 29th being a Tuesday the shop is closed. But being adamant I visit them again on the 30th on my way back to Jaipur. I finalise the deal, finlaise how many links to be removed for it to fit my wrist and all the finer details. Since I was on my way back, I tell them someone will come with the money in few days and collect the watch.

I take photos of both the watches and return home. I show them to my wife and ask her for her opinion. I was ok with both, because what mattered most was that it was a Tag!!

As luck would have it my wife had to be in Delhi for some work on the 2nd and 3rd. I was so excited about the watch I decided to drive her down so that I could buy it myself. On the 2nd we could not go to the shop as she was busy with her own work. So it was decided it will be the 3rd of December when we get it.

Next day again she got busy with her work but she promised me that she would get free in time for us to buy the watch. It had to be done today only as on the 4th early morning we had to leave back for Jaipur.

As the afternoon turned into evening I was getting more and more pissed at my wife as her work was not finishing. I was actually getting too impatient. Then finally she called me saying that she is finished with her work and she could meet me at the mall at the Tag shop in Gurgaon in 30 minutes.

I reached the shop ans she was already there. The watch was neatly wrapped and the bill had already been paid.

My wife had bought the watch for me as an anniversary gift that was on the 4th from her side.

My dream had finally come true.

Here is the watch. Sorry about the picture quality, but I really dont care how it looks in photos, I really love it!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-04122011009.jpg  

deky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 14:04   #1206
Team-BHP Support

It should be roughly around 1600$ plus minus. How much they're selling it here for?
Old 5th December 2011, 14:22   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What is the damage for this now?
Yeah, I am told they can take all kind of shocks

Mine was for 3.5K and Wifey's was 6.5K so our lunch put a hole in our pocket...lol!

Deky, Congratulation! Thats one helluva good looking watch. It's indeed a dream for all watch lovers to own a Tag....Care to share the price?
Old 5th December 2011, 14:30   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Re: The story of my Tag Heuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I simply wanted to announce that I have got a Tag Heuer Aquaracer, but then this has been my dream that I have been nurturing since the last 15 years, hence I thought a simple announcement would not do justice to it. Hence the story of my Tag Heuer.
That is one beautiful piece of engineering! If you don't mind, could you share the price and model #?

I can completely identify with your narration. Just like you were obsessed with the Tag Heuer Aquaracer, I am fixated with someday, somehow being the owner of a Rolex Submariner. I hope I'll be one before I turn 50.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th December 2011, 18:59   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Re: The story of my Tag Heuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It should be roughly around 1600$ plus minus. How much they're selling it here for?
I checked the USD prices but with the rupee trading above 52 for a dollar it was not making sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Deky, Congratulation! Thats one helluva good looking watch. It's indeed a dream for all watch lovers to own a Tag....Care to share the price?
Thanks and Congratulations on your watch as well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That is one beautiful piece of engineering! If you don't mind, could you share the price and model #?

I can completely identify with your narration. Just like you were obsessed with the Tag Heuer Aquaracer, I am fixated with someday, somehow being the owner of a Rolex Submariner. I hope I'll be one before I turn 50.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram, I am sure you would soon own the watch that you want. My best wishes.

The toss up was in between

1. Aquaracer series - CAN1011 BA0821 - MRP 99,000/-
2. Formula 1 series - WAH111C BA0850 - MRP 64,000/-

After hard bragaining the discounts offered on both were 25%. Infact when I pitted this dealer against another one in Connaught Place, the one in CP offered me 26%. But Then I was too eager to buy and hence thought of not spending time and energy for getting 1% more benefit by traveling from Gurgaon to CP!!!

Regards
deky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 21:18   #1210
BHPian

@deky : Just noticed that Amazon sells the aquaracer at around $1348. Any reason why you didn't go the Amazon route and save some more money ?
Old 6th December 2011, 11:38   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
@deky : Just noticed that Amazon sells the aquaracer at around $1348. Any reason why you didn't go the Amazon route and save some more money ?
I did check Amazon prices and with the current dollar rate the price differed only by 4k. Plus I have had a bad experience of still not receiving something that I ordered online last year (not with amazon, but another reputed site)

Though I could have asked someone to pick it up for me from the US, but then just for 4k, I did not think it would be prudent to ask favours. And also the risk involoved in transportation and Indian customs etc etc

Hence bought it from here with the satisfaction of buying the correct thing with bill right in front of my eyes!!

regards

Last edited by deky : 6th December 2011 at 11:39.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:12   #1212
BHPian

I own a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre S - Racing Edition . Love the watch !!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-tag-heuer.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th December 2011 at 14:14.
Old 14th December 2011, 06:46   #1213
Senior - BHPian

The following Longines unisex watch (key winding type) has been added to my watch collection.

This is pre-owned watch from Longines circa 1978, hence there is a discoloration due to oxidized nickle or some other metal the surface seems to be discolored. I have already a solution to bring it back to normal gold look.

Which watch do you own?-dsc00616.jpg

Name:  DSC00617.JPG
Views: 1647
Size:  123.4 KB

Which watch do you own?-dsc00627.jpg
Old 14th December 2011, 15:23   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Recently got a casio protrek PRG 240 that I wanted for a long time .Altimeter ,barometer ,compass, temperature . Many more features .
Excellent watch with Tough solar .(solar rechargeable) .But due to some reason I have put that up for sale .
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ek-Watch.html/

PS:mods if this is not acceptable please remove the above link.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:45   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

Cheers,
Vikram
Ah, same dream buddy. The Submariner costs about $7k in the US, so should be approximately 3.5-4L in India, I assume. Someday when I get a large enough bonus, hopefully before I turn 50 too. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks