Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 14:21   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

The crown is screwed down all the time! but at 15000 per watch i rather not take the chance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Not required if its a divers watch with its crown screwed down
Old 4th October 2011, 14:23   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Can someone explain the pros and cons of Automatic and Quartz watches please.
It's a never ending debate, man!

Check this link; it should give you the most popular reasons to choose either a quartz or automatic:

Automatic vs Quartz - help w/ pros/cons

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 15:02   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am posting here for suggestions, since we have a lot of members here with good knowledge of watches.

I do not own a watch currently and have lived without one for almost two years now.

I have had a Sakura, a Timex Vista from 2002 (which gave up one me within 4 years) and a 'Reebok' branded watch (free with some purchase) whose glass cracked within 2 months. That I did not love any of them is quite clear.

I am now looking to purchase a watch priced at around Rs 10,000/-. The qualities I am looking for are as follows:

1. Robust: it would be great if it could last a lifetime, but at least a decade or so.
2. Not large, since I have a small wrist and a moderate build.
3. Not very flashy, since it goes totally against my own sense of dressing and behaviour.
4. Good looking, well proportioned with clear and elegant numerals and typefaces.
5. Resistent to sweat as I tend to sweat a lot and that seems to have affected the coating of all the watches I have had earlier.

I know I am asking for too much for the kind of budget I have in mind. I have seen some watches from Citizen which I like. I am no sucker for 'luxury brands' (you can't be with that sort of budget) but I understand that Seiko and Citizen are reliable brands which make good watches. Of course, if there is nothing within this budget, then I can stretch it as well.

The thing is that with mobile phones around, watches are not absolute necessities. But I always felt good wearing even the not-so-good-ones that I had.
@ Architect: I also got a Reebok along with my LG TV. It stopped working within a month. Some of my friends also faced similar issues. I am sure you would not repair it, still reiterating not to .

I personally dont prefer the watches from fashion houses. They could be funky in design but I feel they cannot compete in quality with their japanes and swiss competitors

I got a Casio Edifice EF-335 a few months back, which is made of steel(steel watch might long laster since you said you sweat) . I got it for about 4k (dont remember the exact price) after a 10% discount. It might be a little big for your taste but there were other watched with smaller dials. Citizen has a range of watched around the 10k budget. Diwali could be a good time to purchase.

Thiyags
Old 4th October 2011, 15:28   #1084
Senior - BHPian

I agree completely , maybe i am wrong in the perception that i have but i cant get myself to buy brand such as Nike / levis / UCB when it comes to watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
@

I personally dont prefer the watches from fashion houses. They could be funky in design but I feel they cannot compete in quality with their japanes and swiss competitors
Old 4th October 2011, 16:05   #1085
BHPian

Re: SNZH27 - in metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I bought mine few months ago from here. The brightest luminous aquamarine green I've ever seen.. Hence the shot.

Attachment 562010

Rudraji, what is the model #
Old 4th October 2011, 16:46   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Re: SNZH27 - in metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Rudraji, what is the model #
I'd asked him the same question some time back. The model # is SNZF11K1. Some variants of the same are SNZF13K1 [blue dial], SNZF17K1 [black dial] and SNZF21K1 [black dial with black steel bracelet].

Sorry to butt in, Rudra Sen!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th October 2011, 17:23   #1087
BHPian

hello everybody,

Am planning to gift my dad a swiss watch for his 60th birthday.Budget around 10k,can be stretched if the need be.it should be a formal one only.

Problem is in finding a souce for the watches,no dealers at my place.Searched the internet and thought tissot fits the bill nicely.

Found this at infibeam.

Tissot Classic Dream (T033.410.11.013.00), Tissot Wrist Watch, Tissot Watches Price India, Tissot Gents Fashion Watch - Infibeam.com

Would it be a original piece?Is it a good deal?

Any suggestions for alternate sites,watches would be appreciated,am a complete illiterate when it comes to watches.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:32   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Ok 2 things :-

1. dont buy a Tissot on the internet , they are not covered by warranty if you do purchase them online - every print ad that Tissot comes out with mentions this in bold

2. This particular watch also has a version with a leather strap which is cheaper and IMHO looks much better - In Delhi it retails for about 7.5-8k if i recall correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
hello everybody,

Am planning to gift my dad a swiss watch for his 60th birthday.Budget around 10k,can be stretched if the need be.it should be a formal one only.

Problem is in finding a souce for the watches,no dealers at my place.Searched the internet and thought tissot fits the bill nicely.

Found this at infibeam.

Tissot Classic Dream (T033.410.11.013.00), Tissot Wrist Watch, Tissot Watches Price India, Tissot Gents Fashion Watch - Infibeam.com

Any suggestions for alternate sites,watches would be appreciated,am a complete illiterate when it comes to watches.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:45   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Ok 2 things :-

1. dont buy a Tissot on the internet , they are not covered by warranty if you do purchase them online - every print ad that Tissot comes out with mentions this in bold

2. This particular watch also has a version with a leather strap which is cheaper and IMHO looks much better - In Delhi it retails for about 7.5-8k if i recall correctly.

Didnt know that warranty is not applicable on online purchases.Yes leather strap is cheaper but personally like only metal ones.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:07   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I am very happy and comfortable doing that with my casio but i stay away from water with the seiko and the Tissot - purely a caution related directly to expense!
Actually the more expensive it is the more reliable the water resistance!.

I had two Seiko 5 one after the other for more than 15 years and the watch was always on, bath, swim, party all. Then I got the Tissot PR 100, same usage. Now I have a Rolex GMT-II, same usage same toughness. None of them leaked water.

As long as the watch is rated 100m (or even 50m) diving depth, you need not worry. Yes you have to make sure that at least in Tissot, Rolex and Omega the winding knob is fully screwed in. It has an o-ring to keep the water out.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:36   #1091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes - I agree with you - the upper end watches are absolutely reliable. Thats why they command such a brand value. Their brand value is directly built on a foundation of sheer performance.
My Omega Seamaster James Bond 300M automatic and Breitling Colt 500M automatic are both absolutely peaceful - I wash them in the shower now and then quite happily, secure in the knowledge that the screw down crown is tight.
Indeed Breitling style themselves as "Instruments for Professionals" - with very good reason I may add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes you have to make sure that at least in Tissot, Rolex and Omega the winding knob is fully screwed in. It has an o-ring to keep the water out.
Please view the Tissot website - they state that they dont sell their watches off the internet. You would be better advised to go to a store and buy it and get a proper bill and warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
hello everybody,

Found this at infibeam.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th October 2011 at 11:11. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:50   #1092
Senior - BHPian

yes , i am aware of that , and water resistance depth etc is one of the first things i check when i pick up a new one - my point and opinion was only physiologically based

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Old 4th October 2011, 20:45   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please view the Tissot website - they state that they dont sell their watches off the internet. You would be better advised to go to a store and buy it and get a proper bill and warranty.
I don't get this. They do sell their stuff off Amazon , right ? Or does that mean Tissot doesn't sell but their dealers / distributors do.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:51   #1094
Team-BHP Support

On the Casio front do note Pro-Trekker and Path-Finder are the same brands.
Pro-Trekker is the name in Europe/Asia while its called Path Finder in US.

There are three main aspects of their feature lists:

1. Tough Solar (equivalent to ECO Drive in Citizen). This enables running/charging on light.

2. Triple Sensor : They are called the ABC watches ! Altimeter, Barometer, Compass (Temperature is also a part, though its never referred)

3. Atomic Time-keeping and Calibration

The cost of watches involving the first two features range in about $170-250 while the third feature adds a cool $200 to the price.
The third feature is useful for frequent globe-trotters as the watch automatically resets to local time by using an
in-built radio which sends out calibration signals to local towers maintaining the timezone.

As per my experience I found the first two features very useful to have in a watch.
The atomic calibration feature seems a bit too pricey and one which I don't need as well.

I have a Path finder PAG240T-7CR. (Picked up at start of the year).

The Titanium bracelet makes it very light, in spite of the watch being bulky. And it also helps in avoid sweat.
(I for one don't like leather straps for that reason alone).
Metal hence is very good and for this case Titanium is even better as it makes it very light.

Hope this helps folks looking out for Casio watches.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 06:40   #1095
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

perhaps yes. and possibly the distributors do sell these watches off the web. I ve also seen this disclaimer in one or two of their ads.
Please see the link below. Luxury Watches | Swiss Made

But personally I would prefer to buy an expensive watch at properly authorized physical retail. part of the experience is the whole process of touching and enoying the heft of a fine quality product.
And there is the guarantee etc which I am very particular about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I don't get this. They do sell their stuff off Amazon , right ? Or does that mean Tissot doesn't sell but their dealers / distributors do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks