Which watch do you own?-dsc01816.jpg

b) Casio - Edifice

Which watch do you own?-dsc018281.jpg
Old 30th January 2013, 22:06   #1832
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Can you advise which would be a good automatic or mechanical chrono watch within 20-25k range? Not acquiring immediately but saving up for such a watch. Havent decided on the models yet. Having used a few mechanical watches Ive fallen for their movements and would never like to go back to quartz.

Thanks
Parthasarathi,

All Titan Autos use Chinese movements. While some Tianjin 34 Jewel movements are known to be fairly reliable if they have passed through decent QC(Timex uses them on their top end models sold in India), the same can't be said of certain movements in the Titan Chronos. About poor service, most old school watchmakers with the skill to service Citizen/Seiko/ETA movements have shut down as the Quartz revolution put most of them out of business. So, the ones sitting at Titan shops have a poor grasp on servicing the new crop of autos(esp cheap Chinese movements albeit with plenty of complications like chrono, etc) as they've mainly been working on quartz movements all along. So, I'd avoid the Titan autos with Chinese base movements until the after sales improves, which should happen in a while as automatics make a comeback into India. However, the big stores like Rodeo Drive have good watch makers to service and so do the HMT stores at Unity/Jalahalli.

Coming to the relatively inexpensive automatic chrono, you should take a look at the Swatch SVGK series. Yeah, Swatches have grown up and how. Google 'em. You can buy one for about 15K after some haggling at Zimsons: Garuda Mall/UB City or Swatch kiosk at Mantri Square. Some designs are pleasing while others a little too loud. These Swatches are daily beaters and use a brand new Swiss ETA chrono-auto series called C1.01. Yeah, I'm talking Swiss auto chronos for 15K. The very same movement, with added detailing is found on the double priced Tissot PRC auto chrono series. Only real downside of these movements imho is that they don't come with screw down crowns which means You can't swim, bathe with them on. A minor splash or the occasional drizzle will be ok.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 31st January 2013, 08:34   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
All Titan Autos use Chinese movements.
Hello Jay,

My Titan shows the movement as Miyota Japan. Is this still a chinese movement? OR are you only referring to the chronos?
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-watchbackside.jpg  

Last edited by null : 31st January 2013 at 08:35.
Old 31st January 2013, 08:45   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
My Titan shows the movement as Miyota Japan. Is this still a chinese movement?
Miyota is definitely Japanese! Our good old HMT uses Miyota in most of their hand-wound and automatic models. These however are manufactured in India by HMT, under licence from Citizen. The HMT plant was inaugurated in 1955 by Nehru and about a 1000 employess sent to Japan for training thereafter.
Old 31st January 2013, 14:40   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hello Jay,

My Titan shows the movement as Miyota Japan. Is this still a chinese movement? OR are you only referring to the chronos?

I meant Titan Chronos. Miyotas are fantastic beaters and given that HMT still uses them, there are many watch makers who know Miyotas quite well. Titan Chrono still a risky deal imho.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 31st January 2013, 15:08   #1836
BHPian

My Collection of watches include a Citizen Eco Drive, Fast track, Sonata Slim and a Gloradiano.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_5543.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2013, 23:34   #1837
BHPian

Hi people this is my set of watches. Starting from top left- Fossil ME 1099, Casio eddifice, Titan, Q&Q, Titan again
Bottom left- Maxima, Sonata, Tommy replica, Fastrack and again Fastrack.

Pic 2- Close up of my latest acquisition- Fossil ME 1099 Mechanical watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-dsc_0062.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-dsc_0068.jpg  

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd February 2013 at 23:35.
Old 9th February 2013, 18:57   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian

How are the prices and services of Watchkart? I see that they are running discounts on most products and I happen to be in the mood to buy a new watch. Wanted to know if there prices are competitive or I need to search for the same models in stores in the city ( haven't got many of those here in Vadodara).
Old 12th February 2013, 23:05   #1839
BHPian

Quote:

Coming to the relatively inexpensive automatic chrono, you should take a look at the Swatch SVGK series.

Cheers,

Jay
I went over to the swatch store in Mantri and Orion malls. But really did not like their automatics. The Mantri store had only one of it and it didn't look good at all. I think one is better off buying a Swatch quartz watch than an automatic. It felt flimsy and who knows if it will stop working after a fall. If only they put some more thought into the design than just make budget watches. In fact, I like the HMT automatics more than the Swatch ones in terms of appearance and build quality.

About the water resistance problem, is it the problem with only C1.01 movement or is it across all auto chronos?

Quote:
I meant Titan Chronos. Miyotas are fantastic beaters and given that HMT still uses them, there are many watch makers who know Miyotas quite well. Titan Chrono still a risky deal imho.

Cheers,

Jay
Ah tell me about it. Titan chronos are problematic and highly unreliable. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How are the prices and services of Watchkart? I see that they are running discounts on most products and I happen to be in the mood to buy a new watch. Wanted to know if there prices are competitive or I need to search for the same models in stores in the city ( haven't got many of those here in Vadodara).
I've used their services and they are reliable plus give a lot of discounts. Do chat up with their customer care on the website to get the best prices. Plus they have some deals from 0130 to 0700 hrs most of the time. Once I got a pendrive, the other time got sunglasses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Its a STOWA 1938. My shortlists were Omega Speedmaster, Longines master collection and STOWA. My preference was a dressy chronograph and STOWA was just perfect. Besides I've requested for a personalized hand graving and a deployment clasp. I didn't even know about the brand last year and I only know of it now because of a good friend and colleague in Switzerland. Its a typical German design with an exquisite finish. Have to see it to believe it.

My next one will probably be a Sea-gull white china dial one. Its a beauty too. But it will have to wait.
Brilliant. Most of the time we hear only how good Swiss watchmakers are. But this German beauty has me stunned. Understated elegance, just like everything German. And just like everything German, hope its internals are rock solid.

JVH sir has it been delivered yet? Would love to see some photos of it while on the wrist. Are you planning to use it with a black leather strap or a steel strap? Oh man, this is a keeper. Really love the design.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:35   #1840
Senior - BHPian

HMT watches

I had a question about HMT. This is a brand which has been around for decades, and I have seen my parent wearing them for many, many years. This leads m to believe that they were very hardy and well built watches, possibly compromising on the style quotient. In this day and age, however, some of their models still pack retro appeal. Especially if one is looking for clean and non- fussy designs.

However, are these still as hard wearing and sturdy as they used to be? Also, where is the best place to pick up these watches in Bangalore?
Old 13th February 2013, 10:56   #1841
BHPian

Re: HMT watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
However, are these still as hard wearing and sturdy as they used to be? Also, where is the best place to pick up these watches in Bangalore?
From experience with 4-5 HMT watches, I would say they are not as hard-wearing and sturdy as they used to be. The glass (or scratch-resistant perspex or whatever) on my brand new HMT Janata just popped out after 2 weeks of owning and less than 5 times of wearing it. It never took any hard knocks or shocks. The HMT Kiran I own had its lower spring bar (the part that attaches the strap to the watch) fall off before it was worn even once!
However, the old watches (from the '80s and earlier) are extremely hardy. Ask me, I've worn my grand old '66 Pilot since I was in school!

HMT service (Mekhri Circle) has been utter rogues to me. The '66 Pilot I gave them to service had a very rare spring-loaded Bentex bracelet and a dial that said Water Resistant (the new ones don't say that) and was in perfect working condition. They seem to have rogered it, and haven't returned it or my calls since Sept 2012.
Despite this rant, I still own only a Pilot, a Janata and a Rajat and nothing else. Call me pig-headed.

If you really want one, head to Lakshmi Watch (Store? Works?) in Unity Building next to Town Hall. Speak to old Mr. Shetty there, get a free 'by-2 Tea', have a nice chat and get yourself a pre-owned HMT.

And while you're at it, ask him what the hell he did with the order of 3 special watches to be sent to Pune.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 13th February 2013, 11:11   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
And while you're at it, ask him what the hell he did with the order of 3 special watches to be sent to Pune.

Cheers,
Rahul
Well the overall tenor of your reply appears to be one of dissatisfaction. So probably I shall give it a pass. I was tempted looking at the prices, and some of the clean designs. However, if the build quality is this bad, then there is no question of going for a new one. Watches to me are keepers, and should last for decades.

My Timex expedition (Rs.2500) which I wear day in and day out for the last seven years has performed faultlessly in the face of countless instances of abuse and rough treatment.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:30   #1843
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Brilliant. Most of the time we hear only how good Swiss watchmakers are. But this German beauty has me stunned. Understated elegance, just like everything German. And just like everything German, hope its internals are rock solid.

JVH sir has it been delivered yet? Would love to see some photos of it while on the wrist. Are you planning to use it with a black leather strap or a steel strap? Oh man, this is a keeper. Really love the design.
My colleague has the same model, cream dial matt finish version. I knew I have to buy one as soon as I saw and felt it on my wrist. I opted for the black dial because I already have many white and cream dial watches. Its really stunning. Stowa watches are made by Jorg Schauer who also makes limited edition Jorg Schauer watches. But this year he has unfortunately stopped taking orders for the custom made hand built JS watches. Have a look at him on google and it is very difficult not to appreciate his watches - JS and Stowa.

No my watch has not been shipped yet. It should be hopefully shipped sometime next week. I'll definitely post pics.

BTW, Last weekend, I handled Longines master collection and tried it on the wrist. While it is definitely elegant and classy, I find it very difficult to believe the price tag for the quality. We are definitely paying a huge premium for the swiss watches. Quality comes at a price no doubt, but often times it is inflated.

Last edited by JVH : 13th February 2013 at 12:33.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:40   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
However, the old watches (from the '80s and earlier) are extremely hardy. Ask me, I've worn my grand old '66 Pilot since I was in school!

HMT service (Mekhri Circle) has been utter rogues to me. The '66 Pilot I gave them to service had a very rare spring-loaded Bentex bracelet and a dial that said Water Resistant (the new ones don't say that)
Cheers,
Rahul
You are perfectly right about the new Pilots not having that extra line on the dial. The line was "Water Protected". I am trying to find a pre-80 Pilot for a long time now. Can you post a pic of the 66 Pilot?

My experience with HMT has been largely good. I use them daily along with the other watches. I also own Auto HMTs and they are quite accurate as well. I would recommend them to anybody. Just so you know, I own a Pilot from the Chinar factory i.e. Watch Factory 03, ADSL-04, Pinaki and Jawan.

Other watches include, Seiko 5, Citizen Eco-drive, Timex Expedition - Khaki, Hamilton Khaki (Banner Day), Timex Ironman, Casio Pathfinder and Casio (Cockpit) G Shock.

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 13th February 2013 at 12:46. Reason: Added the last line.
Old 13th February 2013, 13:20   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
You are perfectly right about the new Pilots not having that extra line on the dial. The line was "Water Protected". I am trying to find a pre-80 Pilot for a long time now. Can you post a pic of the 66 Pilot?
You know what? I was planning to get a friend to shoot some good "product photography"-ish pics of the watches, which is why I gave it to HMT Bhavan for a cleanup and refurbish. The blighters lost it, and now I can't even remember that it said "Water Protected" and not "Water Resistant". Its gone, and I feel it every morning when I strap on my new Pilot. Just not the same.
I'm actually planning to send HMT a legal notice for this watch.

Do let me know when you find an older Pilot (water-protected and carrying the engraved caseback). I'll go to hell and back to get one! And if anyone knows of a spring-loaded Bentex SS bracelet, please do keep me in mind

Cheers,
Rahul

Most Viewed