Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 10:18   #1966
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Additional Info

Dont miss the hands on video

Source

Quote:
The Enzo had no companion watch, but its successor, the Ferrari LaFerrari, does. Created by Hublot "entirely in parallel with the car" and "alongside the Ferrari teams," the MP-05 LaFerrari tribute watch is a similar test of how much gobsmacking gadgetry can be packed into a chassis. The manually-wound watch has 11 barrels set in a spine down the center that work together to provide a 50-day power reserve. So yes, it does need to be wound, but only once every seven weeks.

Hublot says the movement, engineered in-house, has 637 components. It has more pieces than any other movement Hublot has ever designed, and it gets a tourbillon to further showcase the "demonstration of watchmaking virtuosity." The face is sapphire crystal, the case is black PVD titanium and features an open case-back, the strap is rubber with a PVD titanium buckle. Time is told via the barrels to the right of the the spine on the right – it's 10:05 on the watch above. To the left are the barrels displaying the amount of power remaining.

Hublot hasn't disclosed the price, so you know what that means. There will be 50 tribute watches made, each sent in a presentation case wrapped in Schedoni leather and carbon fibre and including the miniature power tool you need to wind the timepiece. You can read all about it in the press release below, and for true watch geeks there's also an in-depth wrists-on video of the MP-05, performed by ABlogtoWatch.com.

Last edited by Rokztar : 27th April 2013 at 10:20. Reason: Added Article content here itself
Old 5th May 2013, 10:01   #1967
BHPian

My watches so far:
HMT SONA's ( 3,black, gold and white)
HMT Pilot.
HMT Janata ( art deco style)
HMT Rohit.
HMT Jhalak.
HMT Akash.
Cityzen Eco drive.
RW Roamer (Swiss)
Neroxa, Geneve (Swiss, automatic)
Gigandet Swiss, automatic)
Old 10th May 2013, 15:50   #1968
BHPian

Going for a west end musical over the week end and this is the watch I have decided to wear.
Taken the SS strap off and put the leather on.

Jaeger-LECoultre Master control home time with an exhibition back displaying 975 movement in action.
Part of master control range this watch is subjected to 1000 hrs of testing.
As you can see from the pictures, at the moment both the home time and reference time are set to reflect home time.

As usual, I will let some pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_1116-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1117-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1119-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1120-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1123-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1124-fileminimizer.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1125-fileminimizer.jpg  

Old 10th May 2013, 16:05   #1969
Senior - BHPian

I have a Fossil FS4552:

Which watch do you own?-fs4552_main.jpg

Price when I bought it some 2-4 months back : Rs. 12150/-
Old 10th May 2013, 21:47   #1970
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Going for a west end musical over the week end and this is the watch I have decided to wear.

Jaeger-LECoultre Master control home time with an exhibition back displaying 975 movement in action.
As you can see from the pictures, at the moment both the home time and reference time are set to reflect home time.

Outstanding choice for the occasion. Only a JLC would do justice. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the musical :-)
Old 12th May 2013, 14:58   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post

Absolute beauty mate! Perfect for those classy occasions.
Old 16th May 2013, 13:00   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Outstanding choice for the occasion. Only a JLC would do justice. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the musical :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Absolute beauty mate! Perfect for those classy occasions.
Many thanks for your kind appreciation and I totally agree that JLC always bring out that sense of occasion that not even an Audemar or Patek can match.

For me JLC's are the best watch to wear for any black tie event. Always brings out a smile on my face when ever I see it, and the best part is that it doesn't attract undesirable attention to it but is always appreciated by true watch aficionado.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:34   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Brands in focus again, what is the best brand among the list below (This is not the same as my previous question that talked about best known watch brand), you can read this question as what is your favorite brand among the list below

1. Panerai
2. Jaeger-LeCoultre
3. Cartier
4. Ulysse Nardin
5. Zenith

Last edited by trammway : 17th May 2013 at 08:52.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:09   #1974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Folks,

Brands in focus again, what is the best brand among the list below (This is not the same as my previous question that talked about best known watch brand), you can read this question as what is your favorite brand among the list below

1. Panerai
2. Jaeger-LeCoultre
3. Cartier
4. Ulysse Nardin
5. Zenith
Not sure if these can be considered as the best, but going by my wish-list, it should be Cartier and Panerai.

But at times I feel what is there to really differentiate between some of these brands. Many of them have watch movements outsourced from giants like ETA (Swatch group), or they are probably owned by the same business group.

I believe both Zenith and Ulysse Nardin remain more rooted to their Swiss tradition.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:33   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
But at times I feel what is there to really differentiate between some of these brands. Many of them have watch movements outsourced from giants like ETA (Swatch group), or they are probably owned by the same business group.
I believe you won't be able to list out those companies who don't use ETA movements. Also we may not even able to spot one Swiss watch company without using outsourced watch movement. This applies to Patek Philippe to Zenith to Ulysse to JLC to Rolex.

on the other hand I was even surprised to see Cartier like jewelers to make beautiful inhouse watch movement and produced a solid shell around the movement and called it as Calibre De Cartier (one of my favorite)

Titan produced a 1.3mm thickness watch movement and raised the bar of Indian watch manufacturer's capabilities among all the big giants in the world too. (While rest of the product line from Titan depends on Chinese or Japanese patents.)

Panerai using ETA on the 40mm watches is also made me to think ETA is nothing but federation of the entire Swiss watch industry.

So, we can't really avoid watch brands that uses the outsourced movement to select our favorite ones.

Last edited by trammway : 17th May 2013 at 09:37.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:46   #1976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe you won't be able to list out those companies who don't use ETA movements. Also we may not even able to spot one Swiss watch company without using outsourced watch movement. This applies to Patek Philippe to Zenith to Ulysse to JLC to Rolex.

on the other hand I was even surprised to see Cartier like jewelers to make beautiful inhouse watch movement and produced a solid shell around the movement and called it as Calibre De Cartier (one of my favorite)

Titan produced a 1.3mm thickness watch movement and raised the bar of Indian watch manufacturer's capabilities among all the big giants in the world too. (While rest of the product line from Titan depends on Chinese or Japanese patents.)

Panerai using ETA on the 40mm watches is also made me to think ETA is nothing but federation of the entire Swiss watch industry.
Thanks for the detailed response. Very informative!

Yes, ETA is now like a big blanket on the Swiss watch industry. During my early working days, I spend a year in ETA Thailand and was quite amazed by the spread they have – starting from the 50$ Swatch to some of the big names you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway
So, we can't really avoid watch brands that uses the outsourced movement to select our favorite ones.
Agreed, that’s why I listed Panerai as one of the favourite.
Not on the same lines as those you listed, but another brand which caught my attention recently was Mont Blanc. Even though they are generally associated with pens, I liked their clean designs.
Old 20th May 2013, 08:55   #1977
Senior - BHPian

While you all, still replying to my previous question now tell me which of the below three Panerai model looks good and why?

I'm planning to buy one in the future and the following three models are always in back of my mind. The steel bracelet Panerai in this list is 40mm dia and rest of the two are 44mm oversized ones.

Which watch do you own?-pan247.jpg

Which watch do you own?-panerai111.jpg

Which watch do you own?-64fa8e92.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 20th May 2013 at 09:00.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:49   #1978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While you all, still replying to my previous question now tell me which of the below three Panerai model looks good and why?

I'm planning to buy one in the future and the following three models are always in back of my mind. The steel bracelet Panerai in this list is 40mm dia and rest of the two are 44mm oversized
Just for the looks, I will suggest the second one. It looks bold and extremely elegant. The steel bracelet model looks a bit too ordinary. The Ferrari chrono looks nice, but only if you are a hardcore Ferrari fan.
Old 26th May 2013, 07:25   #1979
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Picked up two watches yesterday. Was planning to buy Casio - PRG 250.

Liked this Timex Expedition - WS4. Bit chunky but comfortable to wear and the screen is informative for the purpose its designed for. Had most of PRG-250 features plus a weather prediction too based on 12 hrs data.

The other one was for wifey - Timex - T2N148

Which watch do you own?-20130525_170944.jpg

Which watch do you own?-20130525_171014.jpg
Old 1st June 2013, 04:15   #1980
BHPian

@trammway -PAM111 all the way. But I prefer the PAM320,that is if I can ever afford one.

Hope you get to buy what you love.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks