Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 21:19   #1576
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post

One is not supposed to put a watch on a watch winder just for an over night period. Watch winders are used when you are putting a watch aside for a lengthy period of time and it is recommended by all the high end manufacturers.
Coming on to the " manual winding option with a screw down crown" bit , none of the "refined" watch makers have many watches in their range which has a screw down crown. ( Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe etc). Though Rolex does have a few of the models which has got a screw down crown but on a personal note I do not consider Rolex a "refined" watch maker ( even though I own a couple of them)
I did not have Audemars, Patek, or the likes of Breguet and A Lange and Sohne in mind when I wrote about the screw down option
What I do know is that Omega, Longines, some older models of Glashutte original, JLC and like you mentioned Rolex and some others in that $2000 - $10000 range have some models with that option.

For high end watches like Audemars, Patek and A&S, I agree winders make sense since most of the time they are in the showcases. But the watch being talked about is a Fossil or in that range. A winder for that? I wouldn't spend an equal amount of money for a quality winder if thats the case.

Your term "refined" interests me. I have considered Rolex as a historical, iconic, reliable, built like a tank, a work horse and so forth. Somehow none of their models attract me (no offense) except a vintage submariner with the lifted glass.

Not high end and very refined for me are Grand Seiko, Nomos, Glashutte Original and Zenith El Primero. BTW, how about some pics of your watches?
Old 20th September 2012, 23:23   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
For high end watches like Audemars, Patek and A&S, I agree winders make sense since most of the time they are in the showcases. But the watch being talked about is a Fossil or in that range. A winder for that? I wouldn't spend an equal amount of money for a quality winder if thats the case.

Your term "refined" interests me. I have considered Rolex as a historical, iconic, reliable, built like a tank, a work horse and so forth. Somehow none of their models attract me (no offense) except a vintage submariner with the lifted glass.
BTW, how about some pics of your watches?
My reference to a watch winder was not brand specific but it was in reference to a problem which was posted and as they say horses for courses, there are some dirt cheap watch wounder available which should just do the job for a Fossil.

I second your observation regarding Rolex and have never been a fan.For me its a very over hyped but well marketed brand. For me patek philippe nautilus (which I dont own) and an AP off shore ( which I own) will be the epitome of sports watches.

Pics of some of my watches (AP, Rolex, Breitling) already posted in this thread, I can dig out the post references for you if you want me to.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:21   #1578
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My reference to a watch winder was not brand specific but it was in reference to a problem which was posted and as they say horses for courses, there are some dirt cheap watch wounder available which should just do the job for a Fossil.
OK, I get your logic.

Quote:
Pics of some of my watches (AP, Rolex, Breitling) already posted in this thread, I can dig out the post references for you if you want me to.
I just digged your posts on this thread. Quite a collection you have like your cars. I wonder what are your thoughts on German watches. Lately, their elegant and robust designs have caught my attention. Glashutte Original panomaticlunar seems to have so much compared to an entry level JLC like an ultra thin moon. I'm saving for a JLC ultra thin moon or an El primero for next year...
Old 21st September 2012, 10:55   #1579
Distinguished - BHPian

Tommy Hilfigers look nice, but I am not satisfied about their movement quality. Any less-than-good experiences among any members here?

Bought this one for my daughter last year, and the watch stopped working in a day's time. The Titan showroom people where I bought this from, were very proactive - the watch was replaced the next day, and they sent someone home to deliver and collect.
Which watch do you own?-th2.jpg

My TH is about 4 years old. Had a problem about it losing time last year, was looked at by the Titan service centre, but the problem is back again. It's tending to lose time by about 10 minutes when not worn overnight. If I wear it throughout the day, it keeps perfect time. One more visit to the service centre seems to be in the offing.
Which watch do you own?-th1.jpg

And here's a new addition to the family of watches, again for my daughter (she's getting herself quite a collection gradually!).
Which watch do you own?-sw1.jpg

Quote:
"...a screw down crown" bit , none of the "refined" watch makers have many watches in their range which has a screw down crown. ( Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe etc). Though Rolex does have a few of the models which has got a screw down crown...
Aren't screw down crowns specifically to improve water resistance, especially for divers' watches, or for those that promote depths of WR over 100m? I would be surprised if a dress watch came with a screw-down crown.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st September 2012 at 11:06.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:39   #1580
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Aren't screw down crowns specifically to improve water resistance, especially for divers' watches, or for those that promote depths of WR over 100m? I would be surprised if a dress watch came with a screw-down crown.

The concept started with divers but some of the dress watches also have them. My Omega aqua terra which can also be considered a dress watch has it.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:50   #1581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The concept started with divers but some of the dress watches also have them. My Omega aqua terra which can also be considered a dress watch has it.
My "being human" one has that too.
It was the first time I encountered such a thing, and it was quite a learning curve to fix the 10 minutes fast running it was doing.
It was BLOODY tight, so much so that a pair of needle-nose were considered for a bit.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:13   #1582
BHPian

Quote:

I just digged your posts on this thread. Quite a collection you have like your cars. I wonder what are your thoughts on German watches. Lately, their elegant and robust designs have caught my attention. Glashutte Original panomaticlunar seems to have so much compared to an entry level JLC like an ultra thin moon. I'm saving for a JLC ultra thin moon or an El primero for next year...
Many thanks for your kind words and appreciation for the watches and cars. There is nothing wrong with a Glashutte and with most of their watches they have adopted the same design philosophy as Patek. They are what any German product is- Precise, well engineered, high quality but lacking a soul.
JLC Ultra thin moon- Now we are talking . For me it will always be one of the wrist watches to have, to be treasured , enjoyed and a true heirloom. You would never ever go wrong with JLC. I genuinely wish you best of luck in your quest to acquire a JLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not necessarily all the watches which are WR to depths of over 100m have screw down crown. But yes you are right, I am yet to see a proper dress watch which has a screw-down crown

Quote:
Aqua terra is basically a sports watch especially their chronometer range with metallic bracelet. You can wear it with a leather strap but the case is far too chunkier to be termed as a dress watch.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:24   #1583
Senior - BHPian

New addition! SEIKO - SNA411 P1
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20120918_173653.jpg  

Old 21st September 2012, 12:32   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
New addition! SEIKO - SNA411 P1
That is a BOSS watch! The Flightmaster Pilot! Congrats! Mind sharing the price and warranty details? Did you buy it in India, or abroad?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st September 2012 at 12:44.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:17   #1585
Senior - BHPian

^^

Thanks! For some reason I love Seikos, this is third Seiko in my small collection.

Got it from US, paid $230. Indian online price varies from 20-22 K.

Next: HMT!! may be a Pilot and a Janata :-)

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st September 2012 at 13:20.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:46   #1586
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My "being human" one has that too.
It was the first time I encountered such a thing, and it was quite a learning curve to fix the 10 minutes fast running it was doing.
It was BLOODY tight, so much so that a pair of needle-nose were considered for a bit.
You bet. I almost broke the crown my first time

Quote:
Many thanks for your kind words and appreciation for the watches and cars. There is nothing wrong with a Glashutte and with most of their watches they have adopted the same design philosophy as Patek. They are what any German product is- Precise, well engineered, high quality but lacking a soul.
JLC Ultra thin moon- Now we are talking . For me it will always be one of the wrist watches to have, to be treasured , enjoyed and a true heirloom. You would never ever go wrong with JLC. I genuinely wish you best of luck in your quest to acquire a JLC.
Thanks mate! I have almost decided to buy the JLC, but the more I look at GO and El primero the more confused I become...may be next time.

Quote:
Aqua terra is basically a sports watch especially their chronometer range with metallic bracelet. You can wear it with a leather strap but the case is far too chunkier to be termed as a dress watch.
Agree it isn't a typical dress watch per the definition but it carries itself very well for the kind of occasions the dress watches demand. And I always wear mine on the alligator strap.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:12   #1587
BHPian

Look what arrived in mail today:

Which watch do you own?-img_20120921_195759.jpg
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:09   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Look what arrived in mail today:

Attachment 990171
Congratulations. Nice clean look. Do share details around cost and purchase.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:44   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congratulations. Nice clean look. Do share details around cost and purchase.
Thanks! I also like the classic look this watch carries and it fits well on my thin wrists.

It is a Seiko 5 Automatic (Model No. SNX111K1) with see through back. I ordered it from a Hong Kong based online watch store. Cost me Rs.3840 (with free shipping, luckily it sailed through without any customs duty).
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:57   #1590
BHPian

Need to shortlist one of the below two watches for a cousin.

http://www.watchkart.com/watch-brand...v-watches.html
http://www.watchkart.com/watch-brand...v-watches.html

Which is your pick ? I wouldn't mind picking up both but ordered another Casio (F-91w)
last week so don't want too many watches of this type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks