Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 16:33   #4681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Not bad for a first Swiss watch eh? I suppose this must be at least 50-55 years old.
Indeed, it is a good addition to your collection. I am sure you would have checked, but let's hope the repair fellow has not replaced any part with a cheaper alternative to get the thing working.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:32   #4682
Senior - BHPian

Three of my most worn daily wearers in one frame.

From left to right: the venerable Seiko Marinemaster Tuna SBBN033, one of the best tool watches ever made, with nuclear-strong lume; the Orient Mako II in the center which is my beater around the house and is on my wrist most of the time, and along with my GShock DW 5600, the real beater watches in my collection; the Orient Bambino with Roman numerals which is my office watch worn with formal wear.

The Tuna is chunky and well built, but with a lug to lug distance of just around 45 mm (lesser than both the Orients in the picture), it wears marvellously compact and like a dream on an average sized wrist. Typical Seiko engineering magic at work here. Absolutely love the crisp, clear dial markers readable from a mile away - characteristic of a well made tool watch. Trivia - the new Seiko Tuna, which came out recently and replaced the model which I own, has done away with the coveted "MARINEMASTER" text on the dial and replaced it with the Seiko Prospex logo, much to the chagrin and anger of Seiko-holics. The price too has been increased by around 500USD. I was lucky to pick up mine a couple of months before it got replaced with the pricier model.

Thought I would line them up and take a pic to share with fellow watch enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20210701_092633148.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 1st July 2021 at 09:46.
arindambasu13 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:56   #4683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Not bad for a first Swiss watch eh? I suppose this must be at least 50-55 years old.
Not bad at all mate. It's amazing how the watch was rescued while you never gave up on it and brought it back to running condition. These watches are beautiful and at the same time robust while time tested.

What you experienced about the "so called" big showrooms and flashy outlets for watch servicing is very true. As a watch enthusiast I have experienced the same situation while I was searching for a reputed outlet for servicing my Favre Leuba Sea-King Twin Power and Citizen Eagle 7 Automatic. Both the watches are 50+ years old. Most flashy outlets are equipped to only do a battery change and even if they do service (new) mechanical automatic watches they refuse to even touch a vintage mechanical automatic watch.

But staying in a big city like Bombay has its own advantages. There are many small watch service repair shops which are mostly sole proprietorships (the chances of finding such shops is more in South Bombay). The people working in these shops are wizards for they readily take my old mechanical automatic watches and service them to keep it in running condition. In addition to the above watches I have also serviced by mom's 1970's HMT Nishat mechanical and 1970's Seiko 5 automatic through these shops. As per my observation the people owning such small shops are old hands and they know the in and out of such watches. It was only after the quartz crisis that the job of these guys got limited to changing quartz watch batteries. But they still have the old experience of working with mechanical automatic watches. Sadly these guys are very old now and are a dying breed.

Wear your Favre Leuba in good health mate.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 10:17   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Here's my lovable, durable and reliable Casio MDV-106 aka Duro or Marlin. This is my ultimate beater watch next to my Casio G-shock DW5600. Come monsoon and my Marlin comes out. It can be worn without any worries in the monsoon rains thanks to its 200 meters water resistance (albeit not ISO certified), screw down crown and a soft rubber strap.

It amazes me how Casio manages to maintain such high quality precision in a US $50 watch. I have seen and owned expensive watches where the bezel pip at 12 'O clock position does not line up perfectly (both quartz and mechanical automatic) and also the seconds hand does not hit all the markers perfectly. No such issue in my Casio Marlin.

I sincerely hope that Casio develops its own mechanical automatic movement watch. If it does then it has the potential to disrupt and give bigger brands a run for their money. But I guess Casio caters to a different market.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img20210701092240.jpg  

navin_v8 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:14   #4685
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with Longines Conquest VHP? How is the watch as a everyday watch?
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:47   #4686
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thought I would line them up and take a pic to share with fellow watch enthusiasts.
Thanks for sharing, I like your style. I have a cousin in Singapore who visits quite often but because of the pandemic now cant come. May order the Tuna from him when things open up again.

The teal Kamasu is another watch I'm looking at, I want to space out my purchases though so lets see which one I buy. Current daily's are Seiko SNXS73 and old faithful metal band G-Shock.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 18:20   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Thanks for sharing, I like your style. I have a cousin in Singapore who visits quite often but because of the pandemic now cant come. May order the Tuna from him when things open up again.

The teal Kamasu is another watch I'm looking at.
I got my Tuna from Gnomon watches in Singapore as well. Did get hit by Indian customs, but since this was a long term grail I factored that into my purchase.

The Kamasu is a solid watch and the spiritual successor to the Mako. The teal colour looks awesome
Old 7th July 2021, 10:19   #4688
BHPian

I check this thread every few months, and there's so much fun stuff to see every time!
Figured I'd add a glimpse into my little collection from over the past few years. You'll see a general trend towards sub-40 mm pieces despite a near 7 inch wrist
1. Mid-90s Seamaster Pro in its 36mm avatar. This was a result of my 007 obsession from when I was a kid. I decided to swap out the bracelet for a NATO since the bracelet was original and pristine. Also makes it more comfortable to wear in cool San Francisco weather.

2. Another mid-90s piece, this time a Breguet Type XX from the pre-Swatch era. This one was somewhat of a grail, and is a joy to wear.

3. The Tudor BB58 is the youngest in my collection. I fell in love with this when I saw the Watchfinder video on YT. The proportions, use of warm colors, and the gilt dial is just *chef's kiss*

4. A 1947 (Yup, Independence year) 33mm Omega with the manual wind 30T2 movement that was popular in WW2 military issue Omegas. This is a civilian version. Its totally original (except for the strap of course), and runs like a champ even today. Its lost some of its reserve, but keeps great time.

5. A Casio A168. Inexpensive and reliable workhorse. 'nuff said.

6. An early 60s Omega Seamaster with a fully original case in incredible condition. Its sun-burst sliver dial is spotless even today, and the bumper movement runs like a top. I wear this as a dress watch mostly.

7. Finally the Dan Henry 1939. If you're not aware of Dan Henry the collector, I'd highly recommend looking him up. An avid collector of vintage watches himself, he decided to create his own brand of vintage inspired mecaquartz watches to allow ordinary individuals to experience iconic designs at a fraction of the price. This 1939 model emulates the 1930s multi-scale chronographs from Omega-Tissot. For a $285 watch, the quality and finish of the case and dial is incredible. My only gripe with this one is that it is 41mm, and would've liked it to be closer to the original. But I'm in a minority given modern case size preferences.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_1029.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1043.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1190.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-omega-30t2.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_2229.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_2230.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_2231.jpeg  

kinetic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 15:46   #4689
BHPian

Icon in wrist watch world! Sharing my humble Casio F-91W!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20210626_124209_503.jpg  

RedStallion is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 17:44   #4690
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Casio Service Centre in Mumbai? Had given the below watch for a battery change since it stopped working. The repair guy informed me that the screws were rusted & using WD-40 he'll open the back case & replace the battery which he did. Now I'm seeing certain spots on the screen & the LED backlight isn't working alongwith most features, though the watch is working. He was unable to set the time as he found it terribly complicated to set! Now today he's informed me that 1 part is missing in the setup due to which the features aren't working. He charged Rs 650 for the battery change & now has quoted further 1.5k for the part with 6 months warranty.

https://www.casio.com/products/archi...e/ema100d-1a2v
Old 8th July 2021, 10:15   #4691
BHPian

Another humble Casio which punches above its weight! Giving proper G-shock vibes at fraction of the price!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20210701_144355_935.jpg  

RedStallion is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 12:37   #4692
BHPian

Ace release from Casio, all black CasioOak!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20210623_135318_edited_04_edited.jpg  

RedStallion is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 14:30   #4693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
Another humble Casio which punches above its weight! Giving proper G-shock vibes at fraction of the price!
Awesome! Can you share the model number please?
Old 10th July 2021, 16:07   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Awesome! Can you share the model number please?
GA-2100-1A1DR(G987), as known as CasioOak!
RedStallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 13:52   #4695
BHPian

It’s lovely to find this thread on a site for auto enthusiasts. Glad to see there are so many watch lovers who also are crazy for cars. Or is it the other way around? 😄
In my case, I have always been fascinated with watches since I was a kid. My dad owned an HMT automatic that he had bought with his first salary after college. At the time, the concept that the watch could run without being wound was novel for me. My first watch was a ₹700 Titan in 1996. I loved it because the markers were in 24 hr format, starting with 13 and ending with 24. I was only allowed to wear that watch for exams, lest I damage it during regular school days. My next watch was also a Titan and this one, I wore all the time. That habit continues to this day. I feel naked if I step outside without a watch on. I continued to wear various Titan and Fossil watches over the years until 2018, when my wife gifted me an Apple Watch. I loved the convenience it brought along. However, that affair was short lived and I started hankering for something more conventional.
Lately, the automatic bug bit me a few days ago when I saw a video by Teddy Baldassarre on YT. I bought my first automatic watch as a gift for my wife since she likes chunky watches and recently, purchased a Seiko SPKE53 for myself.
Presenting my collection. First is the now 10 yr old Fossil chronograph that I got in 2011 when I first went to the US. Then is my wife’s Orient Multi year calendar. And finally, my Seiko that I use since last week when I got it, everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-b5509e159aff45bca9b1d605a17d6962.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-bde01bc6315c430d89fb9608ad8d469c.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-9a3a8ee83bb64304bcd93efef7f7849b.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-058d15341bc843768df4db0f2e2ad1e4.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks