Team-BHP - Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/59432-suggestions-team-bhp-team-bhpians-149.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1297228)
When it comes to banishing tirthankar - a well known/loved/hated (take your pick) member - its done silently overnight. The truth remains guesswork for the vast confounded/relieved/indifferent majority.

I will put in some clarifications here:

1. Firstly, NOTHING is done silently. The concerned member always receives a detailed PM / note on the offence.

2. If you mean silently as in, the community was not informed, I am sorry. But we are not answerable to you or anyone else for a third party's infraction (in this case - Btirthankar). ONLY the concerned member will be informed with, I must add, absolute clarity.

3. Also allow me to correct you : Tirthankar has NOT been banished. He has been infracted. The new infraction coupled with the old led to the system placing a temporary ban on this account. Whenever infraction points go over 10 points, the system automatically places a temporary ban on the said account. This has been clearly detailed in our announcements section.

Quote:

I have been told by many sources that things have been well debated internally (mostly by people who havent met him!)
I don't understand the relevance of the part highlit in bold, and neither should you place any importance on the same. It is common sense that meeting 42,000 members is impossible for all of us moderators. Plus, I do not see why a moderator must meet with a member to arrive at an objective moderator decision. What we see on the forum is what we base our moderator decisions on. We don't let the member's offline activities affect our handling of online matters.

Quote:

appeal messages ignored/direct email/contact form channels not replied to.
As I mentioned earlier, we are answerable ONLY to the concerned member and will reply to his emails / PMs only.

Quote:

Maybe its a matter of information dissemination only - but let the truth be known. That is a real commitment to quality.
You obviously know little about Team-BHP's moderation, its quality, commitment or even the reasons why some members have been banned. Think about it : Some members are very vocal about their bans and people like you only hear one side of the story. Don't you think it is to our advantage to publicise the reasons behind bans?

Many members have been banned for unhonourable reasons. Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt the only reason we don't let others know of the reason behind their ban is to allow them to save face. It is a matter of respecting their privacy. Believe you me, most banned members would rather that guys like you DON'T know the real reason behind their ban.

Quote:

PPS: I am not denying that the mods concerns were not valid
I'm glad we agree on something, even if it is only one thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 1298521)
Not discussing moderator actions has its merits. it streamlines the whole process and makes action quicker.

The matter is kept only within the concerned member and the moderator team, as a right to privacy (for either side). Also Rippergeo, approximately 3,000 moderator activities take place each month. If we have to debate on each moderator activity with the rest of community, we might as well leave our day jobs. Rest assured, we are only acting in the larger interest of this community and the moderator team is built of some highly distinguished, unbiased, reasonable and intelligent individuals.

Quote:

Ofcourse, this opens up a whole new can of worms regarding privacy and stuff, and complicates things further.
This, and the reasons I have highlit above.

Quote:

So, as far as I'm concerned, the moderators can act as they see fit, and I trust them enough(for what it's worth). I might not agree with some of the verdicts or decisions, but someone has to decide and judge and I dont really envy them that position.
Thank you. Rest assured, all major decisions are arrived at after thorough discussion within the entire team of moderators.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw (Post 1298636)
Although I have been at the wrong end of the rules more then once its only a couple of times I have felt that things have been too harsh.

Classic example. Yes, you may see the infractions on your account as harsh. But if we were to revisit them:

- One infraction for "Mention of Alcohol in a Team-BHP drive meet to Sunnys Dhaba". This rule has been enforced from the 1st of Jan, and an email / PM sent out to each member.

- One infraction for "Personal attacks (in the Classifieds section)". You clearly went out of line despite our clearly laid out rules & guidelines.

I'm sorry if you find them harsh, but the rules & infractions are put forth in the most transparent manner, and for the betterment of this community. It will be best for you - and other members - to respect them. Remember, if we enforce the rules, we are also the first to follow them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1298686)
But if team bhp wishes to claim to stand for the truth, I think it should be prepared to walk the talk.

We do walk the talk, we do maintain the clearest line of communication with the concerned member, we do maintain the utmost transparency with this community, we do speak out minds without bias, we do encourage the most honest reviews (whether good or bad).....That, in a nutshell, is standing up for the TRUTH.

However, if you want us to come out in the open wrt internal policies & discussions, sorry, that has nothing to do with standing up for the truth. Each organisation deserves its right to privacy on internal matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1298752)
If a guy gets fired in your office for some wrong doing, does the CEO or HR send out a mail to everyone stating the reason the employee was fired?

I don't think it's any different here. Some disciplinary action has to be taken and all and sundry don't need to be told why so and so person was banned. Put yourself in the same shoes. If you were banned would you want a post by the mods in public saying why you were banned?

Agreed.

Quote:

I agree with ripper on one point. The reason for infraction can be put up on profile page.
Added to the to-do list. For the record, infractions have been ticked for public viewing in the vbulletin system. However, vbulletin by default, allows only what is currently visible by you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1298756)
Well, it may not be the exact reason for dismissal, but atleast a hint of what was involved becomes known. For example: people fired for producing fake documents/bills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 1298788)
so there is an example, and also there is a clear communication about non-tolerance of certain behavior and its consequences...

A hint? Our rules are clearly laid out. Please revisit them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1298981)
I see three mods and one DBHPian replying so far but all have been completely mum on this - would like to understand their perspective on the same.

Please don't expect the entire mod team & DBHPian team to respond to your posts. I am not speaking for them, but can presume:

1. They trust the moderator team

2. Whatever they wanted to communicate has already been done so.

3. They don't feel the matter is important enough for concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1298984)
The first rule of the forum is that if you don't have anything constructive to add, it's best to say nothing. Which is why I said nothing so far. But you asked for perspectives and Ialways have a perspective. So here is mine:

I choose to respect moderator decisions.

If I wish to question any decision by the support team, I contact them by either PM or by using the contact form. I have always got a reply. Sometimes the matter is discussed well before I receive my reply. I see no good from questioning support activities in a public thread.

The support team runs the quality control here. If you wish to raise a doubt, you're free to do so. In private.

I trust the support team to run Team-BHP well, because that is their job. I may not agree with them always, they're human after all, but someone has to lead and it is the support team that has led Team-BHP to the quality level it has today.

And I know what I'm talking about. I'm 3 points away from a ban myself. I'll bet you don't know why, lol.

Thank you, Sam.

We have taken an exception here in discussion of mod activities, but this is the FINAL post on the matter.

Just a question, might be off topic but.. If you're banned, will you be able to log in?? If you can then its fine, but if you cant how can a PM be sent to the support team??

From GTO's previous post, i understand that TBHP Drive/Meet and alcohol are a stict NO-NO. But i do see lots of meet reports in which its clearly involved and pics proving the same are posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247 (Post 1299274)
Just a question, might be off topic but.. If you're banned, will you be able to log in?? If you can then its fine, but if you cant how can a PM be sent to the support team??.

Yes the user can login and can send PM to the Mods and he will not be able to post any reply on the threads and can only browse through the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247 (Post 1299274)
From GTO's previous post, i understand that TBHP Drive/Meet and alcohol are a stict NO-NO. But i do see lots of meet reports in which its clearly involved and pics proving the same are posted.

If that is the case please report the post and an action will be taken against the Post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1298984)
I may not agree with them always, they're human after all, but someone has to lead and it is the support team that has led Team-BHP to the quality level it has today.

Completely agree.

And one can help out in pointing out if he/she feels there is a mistake (but obviously in private). In one case, I had quite long interactions with them and finally the actions (though not to my complete satisfaction) were able to reclaim my faith on the forum.

hmmm... where did the "small car: big doubt" thread disappear off to?
can't find it all.

also, the search limit of 3 characters is annoying. I mean, when searching for something, like 'X5' or 'Q7' it's not possible. Also, why the 10 seconds between search?

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowda79 (Post 1298689)
Guys The Indian Car Scene has become cluttered by having all of them(Cars/SUV/MUV/Hatches) in one single section it looks very unprofessional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowda79 (Post 1289066)
Guys, why don't you rename 4x4 Excursions or Split it into 4x4 Recce & 4x4 Events.

Any update on the above suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anekho (Post 1299505)
also, the search limit of 3 characters is annoying. I mean, when searching for something, like 'X5' or 'Q7' it's not possible. Also, why the 10 seconds between search?
cheers

I guess its to reduce the load on server. Imagine 40K members clicking search every sec :)

Also, its to avoid those double-clicks on the links.

When a newbie creates a thread (it is moderated) before it gets public. If the thread gets deleted by the moderator because the section was not under the right category or if it is duplicate category then the whole content disappears.

My recommendation is to retain the content somewhere so that the thread/post contents are NOT lost.

Quote:

also, the search limit of 3 characters is annoying. I mean, when searching for something, like 'X5' or 'Q7' it's not possible...

3 characters indexing is taxing on the system.

Use Google to search T-BHP for these. Append the string " site:Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home " besides the search characters to search only here. (just in case you were not aware :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1299549)
I guess its to reduce the load on server. Imagine 40K members clicking search every sec :)

Also, its to avoid those double-clicks on the links.

true! then the 10 second thing makes sense - but why the three character limit? :)

cheers

EDIT: just saw Happywheels' post. Thanks mate - I completely forgot google :eek: but was aware of the site searching through google.

Can a log be made available.

Timestamp: Thread created.
Timestamp: User soandso created this post
Timestamp: Thread deleted.
Timestamp: Post deleted

This way anyone needs to only look at the log to know, why the thread is out.
The info in the log can be based on what the Mods deem appropriate.
Flush the log every few days for memory.
Simple text formatting should be adequate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anekho (Post 1299597)
true! then the 10 second thing makes sense - but why the three character limit? :)

cheers

There should be some level of restriction to filter out right? Imagine giving 2 letter, you will have tons of results.

You can say its same for 3 letters too. Alteast with less hits. Yes, but somewhere you need to mark a boundary right? So, 3. :)

The more the characters, the more effective the search it is going to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1299598)
Can a log be made available.

Timestamp: Thread created.
Timestamp: User soandso created this post
Timestamp: Thread deleted.
Timestamp: Post deleted

This way anyone needs to only look at the log to know, why the thread is out.
The info in the log can be based on what the Mods deem appropriate.
Flush the log every few days for memory.
Simple text formatting should be adequate.

I am curious, what are you trying to audit???

Quote:

hmmm... where did the "small car: big doubt" thread disappear off to?
can't find it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1299610)

I am curious, what are you trying to audit???

For questions like the one I have quoted.

It has happened at times that I would have read a thread and it may be deleted. Then I would spend a bit of time trying to find it. Trying to remember some unique word and stuff. Esp a problem if I don't remember who had posted in it.

I am a bit rephrasing some sentiments already echoed in last couple of pages. And I was thinking of asking for this info anyway.

I look up a post, look at the info about the guy making the post on side of the post, and find that he has some infractions. (sometimes, a ban).

How can I find the offending post / thread?

^ tricky one.

sometimes the post is deleted.
for others what you can do is search using advanced search for the word infraction and posts by this person.
Sometimes you get them. :D