Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 17:07   #4951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
- Why does the "Search this Thread" not return any matches on the fuel-efficiency-thread?
So does the "Search this Forum" on the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rship-reports/ forum. Is this happening for me alone?
Old 21st January 2013, 01:00   #4952
BHPian

Totally agree with the views here that the forum needs a much better way to find content. Remember one thing friends that Team-BHP is what it is today not because of the way it looks, but the content present on the forum. The amount of data gathered over years is enormous and there is no easy way to find relevant content. Search function does a good job but can leave out lot of good content.

So what we need IMHO is a way for users to provide lot more meta-information about their content and then an easy way to get this content based on the meta-information.

Dividing the forum into sub-categories is one way of doing it, which will create a hierarchy of car manufacturers, cars etc. This is useful when someone wants to find information about a specific item, but is painful when you want to get information at much higher granularity.

One idea I want to suggest to solve this is provide a way to enter lot of meta-information about the thread content. For example in the car reviews sub-forum, user should be able to select manufacturer, model, year, engine capacity, fuel type, etc etc for the review (very similar to what we have for classified). Now the car reviews sub-forum should be just the way it is today with one difference. We should have *filters* to narrow down the threads by different criteria like manufacturer, year, fuel type, etc etc.

Same thing can be done for each sub-forum. This will keep the current structure of forums as it is, but will still allow users to find specific content in a easier fashion. Search can be used on the filtered results of course, if the user is looking for a particular thread.

I know this is possible because I've seen such filters in other forums based on vBulletin. Check out these screenshots, these are from a DSLR forum for Pentax Cameras -

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screen-shot-20130120-11.24.20-am.png

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screen-shot-20130120-11.23.40-am.png
Old 21st January 2013, 17:11   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
So does the "Search this Forum" on the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rship-reports/ forum. Is this happening for me alone?
This is not happening anymore I am getting correct results for the "Search this Forum" and the "Search this Thread" searches. Wonder what could have happened
Old 21st January 2013, 19:20   #4954
BHPian

Mods - saw this pop-up quite a few times while trying to access the classifieds section today.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhpclassifieds.jpg
Old 21st January 2013, 19:31   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Mods - saw this pop-up quite a few times while trying to access the classifieds section today.

Attachment 1040951
Clear all the temp files stored in your browser. Or try incognito mode.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:06   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post

Attachment 1040951
i got the same screen on Friday when the forum was down for maintenance. are you still getting this?
Old 21st January 2013, 20:14   #4957
Senior - BHPian

This was during the system change/upgrade period, was it not?, and that too after proper communication from forum keepers. And every thing got restored very soon after. Now also. I checked and is fine. Go through Forum/Classifieds.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st January 2013 at 20:20.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:20   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i got the same screen on Friday when the forum was down for maintenance. are you still getting this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This was during the system change/upgrade period, was it not?, and that too after proper communication from forum keepers. And every thing got restored very soon after.
Yep. Was getting it a while ago. Cleared cache and got the same response. Cleared again and now no such responses yet.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:48   #4959
Senior - BHPian

If I had already subscribed to a thread and if I don't remember whether I am subscribed or not and I try to add subscription again to that thread. It does not show message that I am already subscribed to the thread. Instead it behaves as if I have added a new subscription.

Can some provision be made to display whether the user is subscribed to that thread or not? Or am I asking too much and too silly? If its latter, then please delete my post.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:52   #4960
BHPian

Of late, I cannot view images on tbhp. None of the images in the thread display. See the screenshot.

I tried different browsers, clearing the cache, killing the anti-virus (KIS), but still the same.

Why is this happening? Can someone help?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp.jpg  

Old 24th January 2013, 01:12   #4961
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Of late, I cannot view images on tbhp.
1) When did this start?
2) What version of KIS are you using (2012, 2013?)

Quote:
See the screenshot.
This looks exactly like the KIS problem.

To test - turn off protection in KIS (wait till the icon goes grey). Make sure you completely close Chrome. Re-open Chrome, open an incognito tab. Visit the page & check.

If the images load, the problem was due to Kaspersky.

See my reply to airwolf here for a fix : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2960230

Sorry about this. We are following it up with Kaspersky regularly, and they say they should be pushing out an auto-update fix soon. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
R

@Others - Sorry, i haven't had the time to reply to the other posts here. Will try to go through them soon.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:28   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
1) When did this start?
2) What version of KIS are you using (2012, 2013?)
Started about 2-3 weeks back. I am using KIS 2012.

Quote:
To test - turn off protection in KIS (wait till the icon goes grey). Make sure you completely close Chrome. Re-open Chrome, open an incognito tab. Visit the page & check. If the images load, the problem was due to Kaspersky.
I tried this. To the extent, it happens on my macbook too (which doesnt have any Anti-Virus loaded on it)

Quote:
Sorry about this. We are following it up with Kaspersky regularly, and they say they should be pushing out an auto-update fix soon. Will keep you posted.
No worries. Its just weird to surf tbhp without images.

Thanks.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:16   #4963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried this. To the extent, it happens on my macbook too (which doesnt have any Anti-Virus loaded on it)
Thats really strange. Are you noticing this only on a particular network (eg. office). And if so, does it also happen elsewhere (eg. home).

Thanks,
R
Old 24th January 2013, 12:26   #4964
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes, I face this weird issue : When I submit a post and subsequently edit it and try to 'save' the changes, it creates a second (duplicate) post for the whole updated post content . I've faced this twice or thrice already, but it is intermittent. Just for the record, I am using Mozilla Firefox and windows 7 on the desktop. Not quite sure how/why it happened, and it doesn't happen everytime so it is difficult for me to find out. Any leads on this issue, or has anyone else faced this earlier?

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th January 2013 at 12:27.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:34   #4965
BHPian

I am viewing this thread for the first time and i believe its a great initiative.Troubleshooting,suggestions and lots.All taken care of.Great Job Moderators and Support.I don't know if this point has been picked up before or not but i think an messenger or communicator will be really greatso that people can chat instead of goin all the way to the inbox to type a message.Moreover if there can be ay feature of group message or conference.In case of tbhp meets and likely event it will be really helpful if people can send PM to multiple people at a time.And one more request.Can the facebook and twitter links be provided in profiles so that people can put their profile links to the same.
p.s pardon my ignorance if the points raised by me have been discussed earlier.I am at work so couldn't go through the whole thread before posting.

Note from Mod : Please use proper punctuation and spacing in your posts. Make sure you take a look at point #2 in THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2013 at 13:58. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks