Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 12:33   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well I found this to be a little too irritating. Mostly when I post a topic, and when it goes to several pages you suddenly realize that you have missed quite a lot of posts. This is because of the approval of newbie posts. I guess once the mod approves the post it is posted in a sequence at the time the original poster put up the post and not when the mod approves it. This makes one miss innumerable number of posts.
I agree with Mclaren. Can a newbie post show up at the time the mod approves it, instead of the time when it is posted?
Old 28th August 2007, 12:40   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Sathya : We had 1091 new threads created in the month of July. The sheer volume makes it impossible for the Support Team to create thread summaries. All our free / break time from work is spent in moderation.
Hi GTO, thanks for your reply. I would just like to clarify my original suggestion. I completely agree that is is not possible for the thread summary to be created by the support staff. Therefore I had suggested that (if feasible) we could have a voting system, wherein a person who's reading the original thread votes for a post that he/she feels should be included in the summary.

This way, the thread summary will be built by members themselves. Do you think that is feasible?
Old 28th August 2007, 12:52   #783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I agree with Mclaren. Can a newbie post show up at the time the mod approves it, instead of the time when it is posted?
That's how vBulletin software works, we can't change it.
Old 28th August 2007, 13:14   #784
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's how vBulletin software works, we can't change it.
Then I request you guys drop the post approval or find another work around. Because we are all here to share information. The main purpose which is lacking due to this option. I remember reading the latest posts on page 4, then when I accidentally went to page 2 and saw that there were atleast 3 posts from Newbie's I had missed out on completely. I can only imagine how many more posts I might have missed, maybe some important, maybe some totally irrelevant. And this am sure would have happened to several thousands of us here without them even realizing.

Also, do note that "New Posts" tab doesn't show these posts added later on either. So basically, it just gets added as another post that you have already read. Truth being that you haven't. This is not some small flaw that can be overlooked. I hope something concrete is done about this.
Old 28th August 2007, 14:14   #785
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well I found this to be a little too irritating. Mostly when I post a topic, and when it goes to several pages you suddenly realize that you have missed quite a lot of posts. This is because of the approval of newbie posts. I guess once the mod approves the post it is posted in a sequence at the time the original poster put up the post and not when the mod approves it. This makes one miss innumerable number of posts.
Good suggestion Mc. But as Samurai said, its not a feature that is supported by the software. It can also lead to confusion since the time stamp of the post would be altered.

I am having a word with the tech team regarding this. If an alternative solution does pan out, I will update this thread by the weekend.

Also, we (the moderators) are working toward approving posts even faster. I am sure that will help in minimising the frequency of you / other users missing newbie posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I fully agree due to volume. But, why not let readers rate posts and a simple option which only shows rated posts in a thread - if possible?
We actually have a feature where users can rate other users (and not posts). But we have refrained from any "rating" systems due to the potentially volatile nature.

Maybe your suggestion would help. But it wouldnt hurt to view the entire thread anyways. Why miss out on information that you may find useful and someone else didnt? We have kept the entire Team-BHP info-base open to guests (no need for registration), searchable and free of any membership charges. Thats how it will always stay.

Surely, its worth the effort to go through the entire thread then? Considering the value within.

Quote:
BTW, to add suggestions to Advice topics: I see there are lot of duplicate queries/answers in 'What car' forum. Many folks ask about what car to go for given price range and many TBHPians had to repeat the answers.

Instead, why not create (parked) threads that will discuss Pro's & Con's of various cars within certain range and so. Newbies can start with this article and then post queries if those are not answered.
Splendid suggestion. All I can say is....wait and watch. You will get more than what you asked for!
I know, there will be hurdles initially such as prices vary even by a Lakh across cities, perception of everyone over features/performance/etc of each car is different, etc. Yet once we start it, it will at least bring some basic/common ground of all cars (say, most people agree that SX4 is VFM car in its segment, etc).

Of course this article will be living thread and gets updated frequently based on new models introduced, old ones becoming obsolete, etc.

Can you think about it?[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi GTO, thanks for your reply. I would just like to clarify my original suggestion. I completely agree that is is not possible for the thread summary to be created by the support staff. Therefore I had suggested that (if feasible) we could have a voting system, wherein a person who's reading the original thread votes for a post that he/she feels should be included in the summary.

This way, the thread summary will be built by members themselves. Do you think that is feasible?
Old 28th August 2007, 14:16   #786
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then I request you guys drop the post approval or find another work around. Because we are all here to share information. The main purpose which is lacking due to this option.

Also, do note that "New Posts" tab doesn't show these posts added later on either. So basically, it just gets added as another post that you have already read. Truth being that you haven't. This is not some small flaw that can be overlooked. I hope something concrete is done about this.
Mac, there will always be pro's and con's to any situation. Currently we feel that the advantages of newbie post approvals far outweighs the disadvantages.

Trust me...its a LOT of additional work for us moderators also. We wouldnt do it if we didnt see the value.
Old 28th August 2007, 18:01   #787
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Can someone please explain to me why the addresses of other Indian forums are censored? I don't see such a trend being following anywhere abroad. Or atleast from the other forums I am a part of.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:25   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I see there are lot of duplicate queries/answers in 'What car' forum. Many folks ask about what car to go for given price range and many TBHPians had to repeat the answers.

Instead, why not create (parked) threads that will discuss Pro's & Con's of various cars within certain range and so. Newbies can start with this article and then post queries if those are not answered.
Hey Sathya,

The What Car section is very active, and is one of the first landing points for a majority of our newbie visitors.
Everyone has specific needs and wants the "custom" answers, however, we do agree that a LOT has already been discussed in What Car, and the more times the same Q is asked, the more diluted the replies become.
Therefore, we would request you and everyone else to post a link to similar threads whenever you see a repeat thread. This will enable the thread starter to find good information, as well as works better than any mechanical search could.

cya
R
Old 29th August 2007, 07:27   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why the addresses of other Indian forums are censored? I don't see such a trend being following anywhere abroad. Or atleast from the other forums I am a part of.
We weren't doing that before. We had to start that practice after many upstart commercial auto forums repeatedly tried to drum up traffic to their forums by placing their links in popular threads. You know our policy regarding direct or indirect marketing.
Old 1st September 2007, 10:15   #790
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
oh ok. In that case, I'll join the band wagon and ask, can we have the black skin back! lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Can we have few more FORUM skins ?
Want a black one which is cooler for eyes and for environment .The white screen is pain in the eyes .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Hey GTO any luck on this ???
There you go guys! As requested, a black skin has been uploaded.

From the bottom-left of any forum page, choose "Hallow Yellow" in the drop down manu option.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:27   #791
BHPian

Hey, I didn't change any setting and default is blue skin now. It looks good.

And, I like various changes in button icons, etc. Good job guys!!

BTW, wats the multiple-quote button? When I click, I couldn't see any difference.

Also, why is 'View first unread' never works for me? If I click, it always takes to some older post rather new ones.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:31   #792
Team-BHP Support

Multi quote button changes when you click it. If you click on multi quote button on few posts and then the final post you want to quote just click teh quote button. You will see that you reply now has all the quotes.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:32   #793
Senior - BHPian

The blue skin is there forever.

reg. the Multi quote...When you want to quote more than one post, just click the multi quote icon in those posts & click on reply. The posts you selected will be quoted in your reply.
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:15   #794
Team-BHP Support

FYI - I think there is a limit of (the last) 3 selected posts in the multi-quote.

cya
R
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:45   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
FYI - I think there is a limit of (the last) 3 selected posts in the multi-quote.

cya
R
Can it work across multiple pages?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks