Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 14:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Any Golfers here?

I have been learning golf for a few months now and want to take the plunge and get my own golf kit. What would you guys recommend ? I don't want to spend a bomb, would like it to last some time and am relatively new to the sport. I have had the chance to try a driver, the no. 6 iron and a putter so far, but haven't been allowed by coach to venture outside the driving range into a full fledged course.

Also why does one need a matched set ?
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Bump, any team bhp golfers ?

Hi!

To buy a kit, you are spoilt for choices.

Depending on your budget you can decide what to buy.

Half kit or full kit ? Full kit is a good idea if you are serious about the game.

Steel or carbon shafts ? This is a personal choice. Steel is more forgiving while carbon has the advantage of weight and performance.

A no brainer choice would be to pick a kit from the likes of decathlon if it is present in your city. Or scout around the pro shops for any end of season kits. Or discounted kits. Some online golf stores also have occasional promos. Your club pro shop can assist in fitting.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Bump, any team bhp golfers ?

As a starter, keep your budget low, I would recommend to go for a steel half set new or used through pro shop or online portals, as recommended, decathlon also offers at very reasonably pricing, but not sure if they have arrived in Delhi as yet

I suggest, get your understanding of the pricing through various sources, offline and online, fix a target price range, and ask your pro shop to get you the deal, there is a possibility that they may be out of sync and you may need to make them do a reality check and then get your deal from them

The point is..in this entire process you will also develop a network with the local staff, get ideas on the caddies, their rates, how to get the desired time slots (if applicable) and so on

However, if you already have a network there through family or friends then you have an open choice

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

To buy a kit, you are spoilt for choices.

Depending on your budget you can decide what to buy.

Half kit or full kit ? Full kit is a good idea if you are serious about the game.

Steel or carbon shafts ? This is a personal choice. Steel is more forgiving while carbon has the advantage of weight and performance.

A no brainer choice would be to pick a kit from the likes of decathlon if it is present in your city. Or scout around the pro shops for any end of season kits. Or discounted kits. Some online golf stores also have occasional promos. Your club pro shop can assist in fitting.

Hope this helps.
Hi thanks for allowing me to understand the pros and cons of each configuration. I will give the local decathlon in Noida a visit, what's the whole fitting process ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
As a starter, keep your budget low, I would recommend to go for a steel half set new or used through pro shop or online portals, as recommended, decathlon also offers at very reasonably pricing, but not sure if they have arrived in Delhi as yet

I suggest, get your understanding of the pricing through various sources, offline and online, fix a target price range, and ask your pro shop to get you the deal, there is a possibility that they may be out of sync and you may need to make them do a reality check and then get your deal from them

The point is..in this entire process you will also develop a network with the local staff, get ideas on the caddies, their rates, how to get the desired time slots (if applicable) and so on

However, if you already have a network there through family or friends then you have an open choice

Hi

Thanks for the gyan, it really helps . I wanted to keep my budget low and initially wanted to set a target of 10000 rupees. However I thought it would be better to understand what makes a good golf set, i.e, what are the specifications that one should look at. From your and Srini 's posts, I gather that steel should serve as a good choice of material for my needs.
I read on Decathlon that a particular set is forgiving. How do I spot a forgiving set, when I see one ?

My coach also happens to run a pro shop at the Air Force Golf course and he recommended that I get a used half set from him for around 8000 rupees, or a full set for under 20 K. Anything that I should look for in a used set ?

I have checked out the decathlon site and Amazon and they both have half and full kits from the Inesis brand.

http://www.decathlon.in/golf-kits/ki...e/p-244067.htm

http://www.amazon.in/Inesis-Full-Kit...words=golf+kit

As recommended by you, I will visit a few pro shops too and compare the prices to see where I can get a good deal. I am the first in my family and my immediate friend circle to pick up the sport, so I suppose building a network of people involved with the sport is a pretty good idea .
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi thanks for allowing me to understand the pros and cons of each configuration. I will give the local decathlon in Noida a visit, what's the whole fitting process ?

Hi

Thanks for the gyan, it really helps . I wanted to keep my budget low and initially wanted to set a target of 10000 rupees. However I thought it would be better to understand what makes a good golf set, i.e, what are the specifications that one should look at. From your and Srini 's posts, I gather that steel should serve as a good choice of material for my needs.
I read on Decathlon that a particular set is forgiving. How do I spot a forgiving set, when I see one ?

My coach also happens to run a pro shop at the Air Force Golf course and he recommended that I get a used half set from him for around 8000 rupees, or a full set for under 20 K. Anything that I should look for in a used set ?

I have checked out the decathlon site and Amazon and they both have half and full kits from the Inesis brand.

http://www.decathlon.in/golf-kits/ki...e/p-244067.htm

http://www.amazon.in/Inesis-Full-Kit...words=golf+kit

As recommended by you, I will visit a few pro shops too and compare the prices to see where I can get a good deal. I am the first in my family and my immediate friend circle to pick up the sport, so I suppose building a network of people involved with the sport is a pretty good idea .

My recommendation - do your homework but go with the offer from your coach, just get a buy back assurance from him (of course at a lower price) so that when you are ready for the next level, you don't get stuck with a dead inventory and have a hassle free exit

Now since you have mentioned the you are the first in your known circle to foray into this sport, it is all the more critical to find buddy players and build a network to make you feel at home ASAP, that's the key to sustained interest. Else after the initial euphoria the interest will cease. Just like it happens to many of us in multiple areas of life such as joining a gym and if you excuse my audacity even marriage

On that note, I was there in this Delhi Air Force Golf Course around 2 month back, and if my memory serves right, the restaurant and bar there with a extending terrace sit out to the course is called '18hole'

and after some controversy few years back, the place is now called as the Sports Complex

Happy Putting!!, keep us posted..

Old 2nd August 2014, 22:46   #66
BANNED

Hi
I have a chance to buy a pre worshipped (to use a teambhp euphimism) golf set called McGregor.
what do my fellow bhpians know about McGregor ?
Old 5th August 2014, 07:17   #67
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hi
I have a chance to buy a pre worshipped (to use a teambhp euphimism) golf set called McGregor.
what do my fellow bhpians know about McGregor ?
MacGregors are an old brand. They are good but not really "great".
Suggest you go across to the local pro shop and check out what they have on the used deals.
If you are a beginner, then you should ideally go for a "forgiving" set of clubs which are easy to hit and which help you to play straight and not send the ball all over the place.
I would suggest look for a nice well-used trade-in set of Callaway or Ping or similar higher end branded clubs which you can get at relatively cheaper prices.
There are plenty of well off Golfers who like to change their golf sets periodically and guys like us can benefit from them.
Old 7th August 2014, 03:08   #68

Hey Guys!

Just saw this thread on golfers in Team BHP. I started playing in 2011 after getting hooked to it after a few sessions at a nearby driving range. I generally play at KGA, Bangalore, and sometimes at Clover Greens (as a morale booster ).

I got a Callaway Warbird set of clubs from Canada for cheap (half the price compared to India), and found it to be a good enough beginner's set of clubs.

To keep my golf expense low, I got this IndusInd Platinum credit card, at a lifetime fee of Rs. 3000 (couple years ago), which allows me to play 4 free rounds at Clover Greens (with another cardholder). Also got the IGU membership when I began playing at KGA.

I used to stay awake all weekend watching PGA Tour events on Neo Sports, until one fine day Tata Sky ditched it. Now have to stay content with following it on its website.

Let me know if someone wants to join for a round (pref. Friday mornings).

Regards
Amit
Old 31st January 2019, 10:55   #69
BHPian

Sorry to revive an old thread, but wanted to add myself to the golfers list. I am based out of Bangalore (relocated back to India 18 months back). I have been playing off & on in the US for a few years now. I have just gotten back into golf in Bangalore - played at the training command and MEG courses so far. I am trying to get a membership at KGA, but it appears that they are out of application forms with no clarity as to when it will be open for new applicants again.
Old 15th May 2022, 11:09   #70
BHPian

Haven't seen much activity on this thread lately. With lockdown now opening up, it would be a good time to learn and play golf.
Anyone who could guide a beginner in Bangalore?
I have researched a few places and found that hourly packages are available at:
1. KGA
2. Prestige Golfshire (now with the JW Marriott open there, makes it even better)
3. Eagleton
4. Zion

Any tips on which one is recommended for beginners considering that I would require a trainer as well?

Could make it a day trip with family / relaxed outing.
Old 21st August 2022, 21:07   #71
BHPian

Calling Team-BHP Golfers

Hi everyone,

Wanted to create a new thread for any budding/ experienced golfers on TBHP. The idea is to be able to learn from each other and plan a game together. A lot of newbie golfers do not have existing friend groups who play golf and it becomes difficult to get a group to start playing with. Also, newbie golfers could use some help with understanding the ropes of the game from the experienced folks here.

Maybe a few details about you will help as you get on this thread:
1. City/ Home club (if any)
1a. Preferred golf range
2. Level - (Driving range, beginner, advanced)
3. Advanced players may share their handicaps
4. Open to play - (weekdays/ weekends | early morning/ evening)
5. Equipment - owned/ club rental
6. <Please add any other relevant information>

For me, I have recently restarted playing after a 10 year gap. Starting again with coaching classes at the Qutub Golf Course in Delhi courtesy HDFC.

1. Delhi/ Gurgaon; Qutub Golf Course
1a. Qutub
2. Beginner
3. -
4. Weekdays/ Weekends okay; early morning works better
5. Equipment - planning to buy a set soon, club rental for now.

Look forward to more interactions with the group.

T
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 01:04   #72
BHPian

Attached Thumbnails
Any Golfers here?-20230820_141719.jpg  

Any Golfers here?-20230820_142025.jpg  

Any Golfers here?-20230820_142416.jpg  

Last edited by Samfromindia : 11th September 2023 at 01:20.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 17:31   #73
BHPian

Hi guys, new to the golf scene. Just started with my lessons a few months back on a driving range and now I'm hooked!

Haven't been on the greens yet though. Just invested in my first set of Irons. Picked up 6 Irons the PXG 0311 irons from 4-9 and 4 wedges (pXgs same series) just a week back after going to the range with a 7 iron for the last few months. Don't know when I'm getting on the green but I'm enjoying the driving range experience on Saturday mornings. The community is pretty good too!

I'm from Mumbai, hope to feel confident enough to get a game on the greens by winter sometime!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks