Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 07:30   #886
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

What is considered appropriate age for various classes for a new admission?

Currently the kid's going for playschool and daycare. We possibly have to next look out for nursery --> lkg -->ukg etc.

In the context of potential school admissions, does it matter where they attend nursery and lkg/ukg? My kids currently go to a nearby Little Elly.

What should be age for starting nursery and what should be age for lkg?
Old 29th November 2018, 07:37   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
What is considered appropriate age for various classes for a new admission?
In most schools the requirement is, the child should have completed 3 years of age on June 1st of the year when he is supposed to go to Nursery. For KG1 that would be 4 years of age on June 1.
Old 29th November 2018, 08:10   #888
Senior - BHPian

St. Michael's Academy, Gandhinagar, Adyar, Chennai - LKG admissions will be filed on Dec 1 from 7 AM to 6 PM. Only on Dec 1.

http://www.st-michaelsacademy.com/news.html
Old 29th November 2018, 08:26   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In most schools the requirement is, the child should have completed 3 years of age on June 1st of the year when he is supposed to go to Nursery. For KG1 that would be 4 years of age on June 1.
Much thanks. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 29th November 2018, 09:24   #890
BHPian

My daughter is 28 months old. We started looking for schools in west Hyderabad and were shocked to realize that quite a few school admissions were already over for AY 2019-20.

We wanted a school where the kids will enjoy learning and will have a more holistic development. So in that sense we started looking across the systems from Waldorf / Montessori/IB/regular boards. Well all this just added to more confusion.

I like Waldorf philosophy of free learning no pressure but my wife is not keen. She heard that kids don't do well in academics. Even Montessori was interesting but lack of proper school till 10th is the worry. Still neither of them is ruled out. Yet to see what Cambrige/IB teaches.

Good schools have a minimum travel time 30 minutes from Hitech City. On top of it, all the schools are charging is exorbitant fees along with 10%-15% escalation. I really cannot understand how much difference is there in teaching compared to when I studied.

Age for each class is again erratic. There does not seem to be a fixed pattern. Very specific to school

I am seriously contemplating moving closer to where the school is once we finalize the same. My criteria is kids should study till 10th in the same school. She has a sibling whom we will join in the same school. A shortlisted set based on reviews we heard. Any other good schools, we would love to get feedback
Attached Thumbnails
The School & College Admissions Thread-schools.png  

Old 29th November 2018, 10:00   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

I like Waldorf philosophy of free learning no pressure but my wife is not keen. She heard that kids don't do well in academics. Even Montessori was interesting but lack of proper school till 10th is the worry. Still neither of them is ruled out. Yet to see what Cambrige/IB teaches.

This subject initially was a no brainier for me as I was an alumni of one of the best CBSE schools in chennai and admission for my daughter was easy. After 3 years from pre KG to UKG, we realised the stress these kids were subject to is not worth the brand of the school.

Felt this is not the right place for my daughter and did some research on it and found Waldorf very attractive and when we visited one such school fell in love with it. The system is more about what the child needs rather than what the child wants and is focused on getting the best out of them. We moved her to a Waldorf school and are very happy with her progress.

However if you want to focus on just academics this still could be the place for your kid as they do with minimum stress on their mind and body.

Suggest meet up with the guys incharge in a Waldorf school and they will definitely explain in detail what your kid will gain from them.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:16   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
The system is more about what the child needs rather than what the child wants and is focused on getting the best out of them.

However if you want to focus on just academics this still could be the place for your kid as they do with minimum stress on their mind and body.
Thanks for the feedback Varun.

I am totally sold on the Waldorf philosophy. I am a firm believer that arts/sports etc are equally important in life. Academics is one aspect among many that a kid should experience in childhood.

Trying to convince my wife about it while we are waiting for introductory session in Sloka School. Their admissions started in October while we started looking at it only in November. So not really sure if we will get it. The way their main campus is in touch with nature (as per the photos) seems to enable children to have a holistic learning experience.

Somehow CAT etc are feeling like a cakewalk now
Old 29th November 2018, 11:44   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Thanks for the feedback Varun.

I am totally sold on the Waldorf philosophy. I am a firm believer that arts/sports etc are equally important in life. Academics is one aspect among many that a kid should experience in childhood.

Trying to convince my wife about it while we are waiting for introductory session in Sloka School. Their admissions started in October while we started looking at it only in November. So not really sure if we will get it. The way their main campus is in touch with nature (as per the photos) seems to enable children to have a holistic learning experience.

Somehow CAT etc are feeling like a cakewalk now
All the best.

It’s unfortunate that there are very limited schools that follow Waldorf. I hope more parents understands and encourages such schools.
Old 29th November 2018, 20:15   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
All the best.

It’s unfortunate that there are very limited schools that follow Waldorf. I hope more parents understands and encourages such schools.
Thanks mate. It is true that the choices are limited. Over the years we have been ingrained to the concept that academics take you higher in life. Well if only that were true the present approach would have been fine. Our system makes great clerks/managers but is not able to produce great visionaries.

Somehow Waldorf makes me think of the Ashram kind of concept where kids are in touch with the nature simultaneously learning the required nuances. It is the new age Ashram
Old 5th December 2018, 07:27   #895
Senior - BHPian

LKG Admission notice of St. Joseph's Boys' High School, Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot_20181205072401.png  

Old 5th December 2018, 09:08   #896
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Poor little children. I see so many in the morning all burdened with huge, heavy school bags on their small little shoulders.
Our education system which is completely stupidly “marks oriented” badly needs a revamp. The schools should be focusing on life skills, empathy with nature, sports, all round activities and similar things rather that stupid boring badly taught academics alone!

I can only feel sorry for all those children who are condemned to such drudgery by their silly parents, who lack any sort of vision themselves, except this madness to create a bunch of unthinking automatons - like lemmings rushing over a cliff top.

Worst is to see the little guys being stuffed into miserable auto rickshaws to take them to school. Bags sticking out. Kids seated on that horrible side protection bar and other such miserable sights.

I think the basic problem is that there is this mad primeval urge on the part of most people to get hitched and immediately procreate and litter the place with their offspring, causing further chaos in the population growth numbers and stress on the already stretched resources.

Such procreators should ask themselves, considering the condition of the world now, is it really worth bringing another life onto this planet, when it can be possibly avoided?
Old 5th December 2018, 11:45   #897
BHPian

How are the school fees for the NRI kids in India? Last I heard is it is same as the regular Indian kids and NRI kids in most of the schools. I am looking for this specific info since my daughter was born here in US and we are planning to relocate to India once she is 3 years old and I will be based out of Chennai. She is just 10 months old now .

P.S. When I studied in school all I heard was only State-board and Matriculation in TN school syllabus. There were very few CBSE schools which are not affordable to everyone. My Engineering college fee was mere 35,500 Rs per year in one of the self financing colleges through government quota in Pondichery and in that too I got scholarship of 29000 from government as they announced this for all meritorious students irrespective of caste and income status. Hearing the school fees nowadays makes my head spin . I passed out of college only in the year 2010.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:56   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
How are the school fees for the NRI kids in India? Last I heard is it is same as the regular Indian kids and NRI kids in most of the schools. I am looking for this specific info since my daughter was born here in US and we are planning to relocate to India once she is 3 years old and I will be based out of Chennai. She is just 10 months old now .
The very same fees - about a lakh a year in good schools. Might be less or more. The international schools which your kid will need to attend because of the wide gulf between US and Indian syllabi especially for older kids will charge far more.

NRI just means extra under the table donations to get your kid into a seat because admissions for older kids are just not all that easily available.
Old 8th December 2018, 13:08   #899
Senior - BHPian

I came across this article and got confused about the age criteria in Karnataka:
Kids can begin Class 1 at 5 year and 5 months

As per this the earlier minimum age criteria of 5 Yrs 10 Month for Std 1 has been now relaxed to 5 Yrs 5 Months. Does it also mean the minimum age criteria for LKG also has now reduced to 3 yrs 5 Months from the earlier 3 Yrs 10 Months? My Son is December Born and hence the confusion for me.

Can people recommend some good schools for Pre-KG in Bannerghatta Road and Kanakapura Road Area (Plan is for June 2019). As per this thread looks like I am already late...
Old 8th December 2018, 13:58   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I came across this article and got confused about the age criteria in Karnataka...
Can't hazard to answer your other queries, but if it is of any help, here's the relevant Government Order.

Extract
(Complete order in PDF at the end)
The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot_20181208135353272_cn.wps.moffice_eng980x1207.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Age Relaxation.pdf (157.0 KB, 213 views)

Most Viewed