Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 01:37   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

Is it true that you need to open a savings account in SBI (if you don't have, already) to start a PPF from it?
Heard it somewhere.
All one needs to do is open a PPF account, unless that particular branch of SBI is using this as a means of getting additional account holders.
Old 8th October 2010, 01:47   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

Is it true that you need to open a savings account in SBI (if you don't have, already) to start a PPF from it?
Heard it somewhere.
Like said before - NO. To elaborate further you need the SBI account to link the PPF account and use ECS mandate for deposit. If you dont have the savings account you will have to physically go and deposit in the PPF account. (or withdraw). The savings account will also give you facility for net banking. You would be able to track your PPF account from that online.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:23   #378
Senior - BHPian

Infrastructure bonds - Are they worth buying

Anyone brought the IDFC Infrastructure Bonds as yet? Any reviews on the same? Is it worthwhile to buy them now or wait as more such offers are expected in future.

Frankly I am against the 5 year lock in period for the Bond. Also the tax rebate for this year would be a max 20K. Pls find the link below for some insights

High income taxpayers can gain from infrastructure bonds - Columns - livemint.com
Old 14th October 2010, 19:07   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone brought the IDFC Infrastructure Bonds as yet? Any reviews on the same? Is it worthwhile to buy them now or wait as more such offers are expected in future.

Frankly I am against the 5 year lock in period for the Bond. Also the tax rebate for this year would be a max 20K. Pls find the link below for some insights

High income taxpayers can gain from infrastructure bonds - Columns - livemint.com
I am waiting for LIC to come out with their bonds. IDFC is closing soon and we already have L&T in the fray. I think LIC should come out with their bonds soon. Lock in is always 5yrs, but L&T is redeemable at 7yrs instead of 10yrs for IDFC.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:23   #380
BHPian

IDFC also has a couple of bond series that are redeemable after 5 years.

Speculation is that other infrastructure bonds might offer a better return but if you are sitting on spare cash and not investing in stocks or mutual funds right now then why not buy the IDFC bonds? They are rated "LAAA" which is the highest rating.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:28   #381
BHPian

Confused between Growth and div-reinvestment option

Iam planning to start a SIP in MFs through my bank savings account. Need some help to clear some doubts.

1) Which is better option in long term. Growth or Div reinvestment?
2) Is there any brokerage charges levied by bank for installments in SIPs or should i deal directly with the fund managers, like Reliance MFs to avoid any brokerage charges , if any?

Thanks in advance
Old 7th December 2010, 14:55   #382
Senior - BHPian

Don't think any fund has brokerage now. With bank's site you can buy/redeem mutiple funds.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:27   #383
BHPian

Growth and Div reinvestment is actually one and the same thing. Basically whatever you earn is again put back into the fund. Which one are you planning to invest in?

I too am thinking of starting another SIP. I already have one in HDFC Top 200
Old 7th December 2010, 15:41   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Growth and Div reinvestment is actually one and the same thing.
Not true. Tax treatment is different.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:53   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam planning to start a SIP in MFs through my bank savings account. Need some help to clear some doubts.

2) Is there any brokerage charges levied by bank for installments in SIPs or should i deal directly with the fund managers, like Reliance MFs to avoid any brokerage charges , if any?

Thanks in advance
1) Growth is a better option if you doing SIP for long term and dont have any short term goals. If so then Dividend option is good. But with only those fund who have a good dividenfd paying track record. In all other cases Growth option is the right choice.
2) No charges by bank. You can save the entry load charges if directly approaching the Fund branch office in your city. Otherwise if you go through agent then you will have to pay the entry load.

Check out valueresearchonline.com or moneycontrol.com for good star rated funds.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:56   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not true. Tax treatment is different.
Could you elaborate a little on how the tax treatment is different?
Old 7th December 2010, 15:57   #387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Could you elaborate a little on how the tax treatment is different?
Dividend Reinvestment v/s Growth – Let your taxes decide -
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Thanks in advance
For SIP go for the option in which the dividend declared is invested back in fund. Only for Tax saving MF's make sure that you take the dividend out instead of re-investing the same.

The rule now is that the brokers will no longer be paid any commisions by the Fund houses. So whatever the charges are of the brokers, they will collect from you.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Growth is a better option if you doing SIP for long term and dont have any short term goals. If so then Dividend option is good. But with only those fund who have a good dividenfd paying track record. In all other cases Growth option is the right choice.
2) No charges by bank. You can save the entry load charges if directly approaching the Fund branch office in your city. Otherwise if you go through agent then you will have to pay the entry load.

Check out valueresearchonline.com or moneycontrol.com for good star rated funds.
Thanks ghodlur. Doesn't bank act as an agent when SIP is debited through the savings account? Entry load have to be paid in each installment?
Old 7th December 2010, 17:57   #390
Team-BHP Support

Guys, how do we go about investing in Gold without purchasing it physically ? What kind of a demat account, if at all, is needed for transacting in Gold ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks