Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 12:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

It really is a pity when a humourous ad is taken so seriously.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 18th May 2010 at 12:17.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

^^Yes. Just watch closely the actor's face expressions and words. It is just making fun of all those who want to test a car in their own 'imaginative way' instead of trusting the manufacturers.!
Old 18th May 2010, 12:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!!

Lot of dishum dishum is going on in this thread.

I also jump for it.

This is the content of ad.
Latest VW Ad - TOI - Good or Bad taste? And Socially Responsible or Irresponsible?-ad.jpg

As some people rightly pointed out the humourous nature of ad, it also says that people should take the word of VW for its quality.

Yes Mr VW, Indians had already taken words of your brother Skoda which is obsessed for quality and will do the same with you just watching your ads.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th May 2010 at 12:56.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

VW has tried to highlight four major features of the car i.e mileage, GC, handling and build quality in their 4 different ads in a humorous way. Some ads may look dumb but the punchline is same in all four ads.VW has tested the car in all possible means and you don't need to do outrageous things to test the car. I find these ads much more interesting and appealing compared to pointless ads of cars like i10,i20,A star etc.

Last edited by poloman : 18th May 2010 at 13:11.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
VW has tried to highlight four major features of the car i.e mileage, GC, handling and build quality in their 4 different ads in a humorous way. Some ads may look dumb but the punchline is same in all four ads.VW has tested the car in all possible means and you don't need to do outrageous things to test the car. I find these ads much more interesting and appealing compared to pointless ads of cars like i10,i20,A star etc.
Thank you poloman without your patronizing post above how could we simple country folks understand the intent of the sophisticated ads put out by VW.

It is now clear that not only the company but their fans too seem to be champions in putting across their thoughts in the most abrasive manner possible.

It would do you a world of good if you were to first understand as to what has really irked the members here and then post something relevant for or against as the case may be.

EDIT It would be gracious of you to enlighten us regarding these pointless ads from other manufacturers, which if I recall have surely failed and miserably so to rub a whole lot of people the wrong way OR would that be the right way for you and VW.

Last edited by khoj : 18th May 2010 at 14:05.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:43   #51
BHPian

whoever who is posting against this simple humorous jibe which the VW ad has taken against 'doubting thomas'es,
please keep in mind that many foreign nationals are also members/visitors of this forum.

Lets not project ourselves as a bunch of narrow minded intellectuals,
with zero-sense of humour. It not only spoils our image but the image of this country as a whole.

Guess you guys are watching lots of AAJTAK/Headlines Today and following in their footsteps by digging up controversies/ breaking news.. which have zero value.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th May 2010 at 14:47.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
whoever who is posting against this simple humorous jibe which the VW ad has taken against 'doubting thomas'es,
please keep in mind that many foreign nationals are also members/visitors of this forum.

with zero-sense of humour. It not only spoils our image but the image of this country as a whole.
If we keep quiet, will our image improve??!!

Quote:
Guess you guys are watching lots of AAJTAK/Headlines Today and following in their footsteps by digging up controversies/ breaking news.. which have zero value.
Lets start from here..May be next target is AAJTAK?
Old 18th May 2010, 14:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its a fun ad. Enjoy it man. these things aren't to be taken seriously.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Now those who are alright with the ad and think they get the humorous part, do you really think shankar_balan thinks that people will go in their Polo and do exactly what the ad says?

Comeon!!!

Thats not what he is pointing out. He is trying to change a mindset here which is being breed by this ad. That honking and more importantly not caring for the well being about the other living creatures on this earth is being taken in a very casual way.

How many of you have seen idiots honking in the reserve forests and roads that pass through forest ranges, etc?

How many have seen wild animals being chased by people driving in cars to scare them just for their cheap thrills to see the animals run in utter fright.

These type of activities sometime alter the way an animal lives in the forest.

If there is the only stream next to a road and the animals have no where to go, if they are scared once by the honking they will not come back to the place, instead probably dying out of thirst or dying of exhaustion trying to find a different watering hole.

Hope this clears up a bit.

Those who feel strongly about the fairness creams, why not do the same as shankar_balan instead of trying to priortize causes here.
+1 to this
Most people just didn't get the point shankar.balan was trying to make. One can't do much about that anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Image of a country depending on sense of humour.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 18th May 2010 at 14:56.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Thank you poloman without your patronizing post above how could we simple country folks understand the intent of the sophisticated ads put out by VW.

It is now clear that not only the company but their fans too seem to be champions in putting across their thoughts in the most abrasive manner possible.

It would do you a world of good if you were to first understand as to what has really irked the members here and then post something relevant for or against as the case may be.

EDIT It would be gracious of you to enlighten us regarding these pointless ads from other manufacturers, which if I recall have surely failed and miserably so to rub a whole lot of people the wrong way OR would that be the right way for you and VW.
Khoj, it would be also gracious of you to enlighten the forum what has really offended the members here. No one can help if some one is not having the mindset to enjoy humor.If you want you can run a separate FB poll to check how many have gone to a wildlife sanctuary and blown the horn to incite a Rhino after seeing this ad.
Can you explain the point you got from i10 ad with Sharukh or i20 climbing to the top floor in a lift?

Last edited by poloman : 18th May 2010 at 15:17.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
This isn't least bit funny you know.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

I don't like any of these Polo ads. They are all so stupid. It would be even better if they show something like the new Vista ad, (surprised frozen face )
Old 18th May 2010, 15:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
incase you thought lacking sense of humour is a non-issue
go through this forum popular among the expats in India.

nothing insulting about Indians, just a general discussion
Do you think that Indians have a sense of humour? - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
Old 18th May 2010, 15:56   #59
BHPian

The point being made here by Shankar. Balan has nothing to do with the humor but the objects used to portray the humor. Hence, to all proponents who are trying to justify the ad with so-called humor as an excuse, sorry to say, but the joke is on them..they are completely missing the point which the OP is trying to make.

By that yardstick, it means, anything goes in the name of humor. So next what, they will show a drunkard with the bottle in hand zipping the polo at high speeds in a tight corner and brag about the superb handling capabilities of the car?

My personal take on the ads - while the 22kpl/bottle one does catch attention - being in the tall/outrageous claims category, the rest of the ads belong to "slipping-on-a-banana-peel" kind of humor category.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
By that yardstick, it means, anything goes in the name of humor. So next what, they will show a drunkard with the bottle in hand zipping the polo at high speeds in a tight corner and brag about the superb handling capabilities of the car?
But there is no sense of humor is doing this or is it? I hope you understand what I mean.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed