Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 16:22   #61
J.Ravi

Let me also jump into the bandwagon. VW ad campaigns involving buffalos, rhinos and what-not, are bad in taste, to say the least, IMO.

Old 18th May 2010, 16:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But there is no sense of humor is doing this or is it? I hope you understand what I mean.
Why not? What/Where is the humor in the rhino ad?

If an ostrich running after a man may look funny to many, a tippler as an object, with some Johnny Lever punchlines may as well..depends on the execution..
Old 18th May 2010, 16:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Khoj, it would be also gracious of you to enlighten the forum what has really offended the members here.
4 words

Humour in bad..

make that 5 words

Humour in very bad taste.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Folks, it is not Humor the ad is trying to convey. It is serious thing.
It says 'Don't do these kind of stupid, silly, anti-animals, anti-social, irresponsible tests on the Polo for knowing its safety and toughness.' Trust Our Word.
Simple Logic there, misread by all. May be this theme of negative psychology is not suitable for this audience. We believe we must follow whatever an ad shows.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:10   #65
BANNED

Why cant VW just show the actual crash testing videos instead of all this.

Or do they think we wont get it..

And the Rhino headon makes more sense to us dimwits.

It does not mention any NCAP or other ratings anywhere.

Last edited by Spitfire : 18th May 2010 at 17:12.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This isn't least bit funny you know.
I found Daewood's comment funny. Anything wrong with having some sense of humor? (pun unintended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
incase you thought lacking sense of humour is a non-issue
go through this forum popular among the expats in India.

nothing insulting about Indians, just a general discussion
Do you think that Indians have a sense of humour? - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
We are going OT here. IMO, Image of the country cannot (and should not) be judged based on sense of humor. Different kind of people react to a joke in different ways, mostly due to cultural differences (e.g: monkey, ba***rd etc)
So why should that lead to inferiority complex, if someone else thinks you don't have sense of humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why cant VW just show the actual crash testing videos instead of all this.

Or do they think we wont get it..

And the Rhino headon makes more sense to us dimwits.

It does not mention any NCAP or other ratings anywhere.
Probably there's not much to brag about if they show the real stuff.
Another thing that i noticed in most VW India ads, they are in patronizing mode most of the time, asking us to believe whatever they say.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 18th May 2010 at 17:20.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

@Rajaji,

One does appreciate what is being conveyed as also the reverse/negative psychology bit on which the campaign is based. However, the way it has been put across is being objected to.

No one will follow an advert or react to it if it is done with a certain sensibility. If you recall there used to be an ad campaign run by Tata Yellow pages also based on the principle of reverse psychology. The way they put across their punch line was far more direct but nobody took an offence to it as it was not done in an inept manner just to convey their message.

Further as I understand it, for this reverse psychology business to work either the brand should be an unknown upstart or it must be well entrenched and enjoy the respect of the consumers at large. While there is no doubt that VW is a huge global brand. It will however be some time before their star starts to shine bright in our market. As Ashish Pallod in his post very aptly says
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD
Yes Mr VW, Indians had already taken words of your brother Skoda which is obsessed for quality and will do the same with you just watching your ads.
I am with Ashish on this. The poor example set by their subsidiary has surely rubbed off on VW too and in a big way. They should have started out with ads which would have shown them in a positive light. In time helped by their build quality coupled with even an average A.S.S. experience people would be more willing to accept their word too. That could have been the time to get into this strain of advertising. Using this vein at the very outset projects arrogance, which I believe is an image that Teutonic brands and companies have tried / been trying to shake off for a long time and that is the last thing that VW would have wanted to project.

Some members were trying to make us believe that the campaign is humorous hence my comments on the kind of humour I think it is.

With Regards,
Khoj

Last edited by khoj : 18th May 2010 at 18:58.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of Jeremy clarkson's VW ad they did on Top gear !
Old 18th May 2010, 19:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Been reading all the ayes and nas to Shankar.Balan's post and I find the response to be quite good, though very polarised

I feel that the ad totally disrespects the wildlife, when everyone around is crying to save wild life. Am not able to take it lightly. Next time they may say get close to a tiger and poke it in the ribs to test whether the paint job can withstand scratches from a tiger's claws!!

On a lighter note, the ad seems to imply that the VW engineers test the vehicles in the manner mentioned in the ads so that the buyers need not!!

If anyone has doubts about getting close to a rhino, check out the wonderful travelogue by .anshuman. This may not be as close as what the ad says, but I have serious concern that some idiots who get anywhere as close will try it out (honking loudly) just to find out what will happen
Old 18th May 2010, 19:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
If anyone has doubts about getting close to a rhino, check out the wonderful travelogue by .anshuman. This may not be as close as what the ad says, but I have serious concern that some idiots who get anywhere as close will try it out (honking loudly) just to find out what will happen
Don't worry dude, that pair of Rhino's were actually quite far and they won't bother much about the honkings and growling of engine etc. That particular point on NH37 has a animal spotting area and you can actually stop and see the Rhinos and Elephants from a distance. But it's impossible to take your car any closer as there is a big ditch and then the swamp/grassland in between. Sorry, for the off topic, anyway, carry on guys. Atlast the Rhinoceros is getting it's due importance ;-)
Old 18th May 2010, 19:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Reminds me of Jeremy clarkson's VW ad they did on Top gear !

Clarkson's final effort was epic! I don't think it aired but it so should have aired.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Even the elderly lot, who don't possess much knowledge about automobiles ask, "Why is such an international firm like VW airing these silly ADs?"
Old 18th May 2010, 20:41   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
i20 climbing to the top floor in a lift?
He he he...well said...I agree...
I get so damn irritated when I watch that ad...
Old 18th May 2010, 20:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Even the elderly lot, who don't possess much knowledge about automobiles ask, "Why is such an international firm like VW airing these silly ADs?"
Exactly ! With the huge investment in India setting up the plant etc. i wonder couldn't they come up with something refreshing & highlighting the strengths of their products in a sensible manner without resorting to such cheap humour ?
Old 18th May 2010, 20:57   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Exactly ! With the huge investment in India setting up the plant etc. i wonder couldn't they come up with something refreshing & highlighting the strengths of their products in a sensible manner without resorting to such cheap humour ?
VW Marketing - Inspired by Indian Movies. I mean - Big Starcast, Best Technical crew, flamboyant producer but still majority of these films are flops
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks