Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 23:02   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Sometime back I spotted a black Hummer, I got excited and and frantically pointed to it saying "Hummer, Hummer" and my mom from the back seat said, "What's special about that Sumo? Why are you saying humma humma?"

rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 10:28   #797
BHPian

Was discussing with my office colleague about the prospects of Honda bringing in 1.8L engine for its City and if so would buy the 1.8L over the current 1.5L? To which he started calculating 1.5L = 7.49 lakhs thus 0.01L = 499 hence 1.8L =8.99L and forecasted the pricing of 1.8L City .

I simply said "you're working at the wrong place"
arup.misra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 13:55   #798
BHPian

Overheard this in the traffic yesterday evening, a discussion between two guys riding 1+1 on a two-wheeler.

Rider to pillion: Hey! that Nano has racing stickers
Pillion: Yeah, but do You know about Nano?
Pillion: Its a car body on an auto-rickshaw
Pillion: Its very small see...

My cab driver didnt allow me to hear more, but I did see the car they spotted. A dark-blue one with yellow racing stripes - a Santro at it.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 22:31   #799
Team-BHP Support

Had a comment passed on me in yesterday's marathahalli traffic. I as in my DSG armoured riding jacket + full gauntlet DSG gloves, AGV black helmet and shoes - 2 men on a CT100 next to me talk to each other in kannada "does this fellow think he becomes a movie action hero by wearing all this?"

Overheard 2 office colleagues talking about vehicle insurance schemes. Colleague 2 was buying a new car and colleague 1 was saying - "always take a comprehensive insurance policy. For comprehensive insurance you only need to pay a high premium for the first year. After that it is free" !!!

Same colleague was advising the new car buyer (buying a Swift VXi) another thing "Please fill only Xtra premium. you will get 5 kmpl more mileage. After you switch to Xtra premium, never ever switch back to regular unleaded petrol. The engine will seize"
Old 28th July 2011, 22:36   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Was discussing with my office colleague about the prospects of Honda bringing in 1.8L engine for its City and if so would buy the 1.8L over the current 1.5L? To which he started calculating 1.5L = 7.49 lakhs thus 0.01L = 499 hence 1.8L =8.99L and forecasted the pricing of 1.8L City .

I simply said "you're working at the wrong place"
@arup,this is hilarious.Very good joke indeed. Calculating like this,we should be driving time machines,not road rockets-for the price Honda is charging!!
Old 29th July 2011, 09:42   #801
BHPian

Few days ago I was on my way home and was waiting for the lights to turn green. There was an A4 in front of me. A bike stopped next to me.
Pillion - Kya gaadi hai yaar! (What a car man!)
Rider - Haan! Kaunsi hai? (Yes! Which car is it?)
Pillion - Abe Audi hai na! Audi TDI! (It is an Audi! Audi TDI!)
Rider - TDI, kya gaadi hai yaar. (TDI, what a car man!)

driveanddrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 23:03   #802
BHPian

Not a quirky one but definitely a funny incident. I noticed a Audi Q5 while riding my bike and pointed it to my wife. Just before that I was talking about which Android to buy. When I told Q5, she didn't see the Audi and thinking that am talking about Micromax, replied that its very cheap and not an Android too !! Lol
Old 1st August 2011, 23:25   #803
BHPian

A couple of years ago, while we waited for all pax to board the bus after the 10 minute halt, I asked a Shivneri driver if he liked to use cruise control.

He walked 10 feet towards the bus, lit a cigarette, put on hand on the bus, legs crossed, looked at me and said "this bus is electronics".

Aalok
aalokg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 20:01   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

My first entry into this though I have enjoyed reading this. I remembered this incident which happened like 2 months before because of the question "Why Punto is not categorized into premium HBs" in the sales report comparo sheet.

4 elderly people from my area was travelling in my Swift for a function and one of them, my relative was talking how bumpy & cramped the rear of the Swift was. He asked me how much did the Swift cost & I said almost 6L OTR. He added "My son has a 7L foreign car and not suited for Indian roads which scrapes the bumps". On asking which is that car, he replied "Punto" !! I didn't want to shut his excitement by saying that the Punto is manufactured in Pune & has more issues than a Swift, I chose not to comment & concentrate on driving !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th August 2011 at 20:03.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:02   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, this is what I heard from a friend, who said, was posted on the Figo FB Page.

One user asked a question about why his Figo was pulling to the left.

Now the answer of the self-proclaimed experts.

A: Ford is apparently a very sensible company, and hence this super duper, intelligent safety design/feature. The left pulling is one of the best safety features of the Figo. ie, imagine you are driving in a two laned highway in wee hours and fall asleep. By this "Feature" Ford makes sure that the car doesn't go to the left and crashes into the oncoming traffic. Instead, it goes to the left, which is apparently more safe.

WOW!.. What a feature!!..
Old 11th August 2011, 08:35   #806
Senior - BHPian

While browsing through Facebook , I came across my friend's status update which read as :

Quote:
New DDiS motor is 74/75 hp(?) & has torque of 190NM. Power reduced, weight reduced with the help of Plastic Fuel Tank
One of the comments made by a friend of my friend made me literally spill the coffee over my laptop :

Quote:
As per MASA (Maruti Aeronautics and space administration), they've taken some feedback while building up the new Swift. Their highly successful 5 year old space programme has already been grounded 2 months back.

The space capsules are absolutely tailor made for the Indian astronauts who predominently drive on adulterated fuel. Rear is less cramped than before as per the statement as it has been observed that the astronauts in India tend to give more preference to rear space as compared to boot. For carrying bigger stuff, there is a 3 box version of the space capsules.

To make the existing set of brakes more effective while doing maneuvers, weight has been reduced and so has been the maximum velocity been reduced by 0.05 mach.

Kinetic Energy= 0.5 x mass x velocity x velocity. So now the car moves with lesser energy so brakes can breathe. This also carries an advantage of better acceleration and better mileage. Better mileage means better DTE range so can carry lesser fuel which also translates into greater FE. So it's a vicious circling in an geosynchronous orbit.

More research pending.
No offense intended! In case, if anyone finds my post to be offensive, feel free to report this post to the support team! Thanks.
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 10:54   #807
BHPian

My contribution

A friend of mine has a swift vxi G13B. He was the first one on the block with a car, and ofcourse, would take all the girls around for rides. So, one day, he decides that he wants to show them how to drift. I was curious enough to see what he could do that I go with him. We end up on this narrow and empty but well maintained road. Guy takes his swift to 40, slams the brakes, pulls the e-brake and skids to a stop. I thought that was just a warm up, but no, that was it! :O

later,
Girl-How did you do that?
Friend-You have to feel for the "engine oscillations"
Girl-Really? That's so cool
(And a lot of impressed nods..sigh)

Well, being nice, I didn't ruin his party....i'm also pretty sure that the engine wasn't jumping out of it's mounts
nukeblitz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 12:37   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

So this happened on twitter between me & my friends. One of my friend wanted a new car & was asking advice.

I tweeted "Looks like Mr.X has zeroed in on Brio".

Suddenly I see another tweet from a liquor group "Please let us know where is this place "Brio" as we would like to conduct some events there" !!

Another friend replies to it "Brio is the new 2 wheeler"

A 3rd friend tweets "I agree, Brio is the two wheeler which Mr X plans to buy"

That's when I decided to put a stop to all these drama !!
Old 11th August 2011, 16:06   #809
BHPian

Recently one of my colleague bought a Ritz VDI , we were discussing about the turbo lag and its comparison with Ritz and Figo. This another fellow who has a habit of interfering always irrespective if he knows the topic or not. He starts - Verna has much higher turbo lag as compared to Switf as it pulls with great thrust.
People just have to pass comments even if they don't understand it ..... I tried a little to explain him what lag is but gave up because of more stupid logic.
Sometimes you should not argue or tell them what is correct .... just enjoy.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2011 at 19:02. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:18   #810
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine told me that his one colleague claims that his diesel Swift comes with a Suzuki engine and not the DDiS. That guy claims that initially MS introduced Swift with this engine and later on discontinued it when they got licence from Fiat for DDiS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks