Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 20:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Civic Rear Ended!

Little Update. Spoke to the friendly SA. he said that since the other SA is on leave today. Chicca is parked inside the covered workshop, (i had called him to make sure she isn't left out in the rain) but work will only commence tomorrow. so he told me to come down to the workshop at around 11 AM tomorrow morning and then they will start removing the bumper etc.
I will take my camera as suggested earlier and click snaps of the parts removed which need to replaced and otherwise.
Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes.
I am going to enter that workshop tomorrow morning with confidence and equipped with knowledge which is going to enable me to take the Honda guys head on if they even hint at taking me for a ride.
Thanks Team, Thanks for standing beside me in this moment of crisis and for spending your valuable time on replying to each of my questions as well as sharing your valuable insights, views, experiences and ofcourse your luck, well wishes and support.
Drive Safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Metal sheet is the inner packing for panel and the trunk. 2 each, i'm assuming.
How old is the car ?
Chicca is almost 3.

Dhanush.
You are right in terms of joint position.
Quarter panel dimensions vary from one manufacturer to another. Honda's quarter panel covers only the half the wheel well whereas Hyundai's quarter panel goes all the way till the running board.

Quarter panel is never a bolt on job. Cutting and joining process is done by MIG welding. Its the frame of the car, you can't have it hanging there with just a glue.

Point noted.

Your forgot to multiply a few items with qty.
Yes that's whats missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Umm.. isnt it a bolt on job?. Honda technitions should have the exact points where to cut the quarter panel and the process is something like sliding the quarter panel in and gluing it together. I'm not sure if its welded. AFAIK, these are the points to be cut, after which the new quarter panel is just a bolt on job, unless the foot rail and roof are misaligned.Attachment 556000

mdsaab, here is the way the cost should be split up. I may have missed something, if so please point it out. Add to that 500Rs of claim charges. The total should come to around ~12,500 and NOT 25,000. And DO NOT accept the scrap. Leave it at the A.S.S and DO NOT pay for it.

Thanks for the detailed break up. This 10% salvage is what is working out to quite a sum. Will try and leave it there and not pay a cent for them.

Attachment 556002

Now, this is the cost assuming ALL the work is done from the A.S.S. If you go for aftermarket options for the bumper and some other parts, like fellow members suggested, you end up with a MUCH smaller bill.

Note: The civic pic is of GTO's from the 'coil spring adjusters' thread. Reason: Needed a side profile.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 20:08   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Bumper as i mentioned have decided to just go ahead with replacement @3K is quite reasonable.
What kind of tape can i use? i am really finicky and will not be able to stand water seepage or dust getting in.
I completely understand how badly it troubles you when even the smallest part of your car is not perfect.

About taping the tail-lamp: there are these really wide transparent cello-tapes; you could paste it over the affected area. (Remember the tape movers-packers use to pack boxes, that width but TRANSPARENT).

Looking at the pics, I'm sure they will do the trick. And they wouldn't be really visible as such.

Quote:
Little Update. Spoke to the friendly SA. he said that since the other SA is on leave today. Chicca is parked inside the covered workshop, (i had called him to make sure she isn't left out in the rain) but work will only commence tomorrow. so he told me to come down to the workshop at around 11 AM tomorrow morning and then they will start removing the bumper etc.
I will take my camera as suggested earlier and click snaps of the parts removed which need to replaced and otherwise.
Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes.
I am going to enter that workshop tomorrow morning with confidence and equipped with knowledge which is going to enable me to take the Honda guys head on if they even hint at taking me for a ride.
Glad work begins soon!

Best of luck; I'm sure your car will be back in no time
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 11:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I completely understand how badly it troubles you when even the smallest part of your car is not perfect.

About taping the tail-lamp: there are these really wide transparent cello-tapes; you could paste it over the affected area. (Remember the tape movers-packers use to pack boxes, that width but TRANSPARENT).

Looking at the pics, I'm sure they will do the trick. And they wouldn't be really visible as such.

Glad work begins soon!

Best of luck; I'm sure your car will be back in no time
Thanks for the info on taping up the tail lights. Will inspect damage thoroughly today. Am in fact going to leave soon. A bit late but really glad work finally begins today. will post after a thorough checkup.
Old 8th June 2011, 00:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

*UPDATE*

The face above should give a clue.

Well i visited the workshop in the morning as was planned.
Unfortunately the SA was not there and no work had started on Chicca.
Spoke to friendly SA and he asked me to come back at 4 PM.
So i went back around 4ish and met the insurance SA.
Work on Chicca had already started and the bumper and bootlid were already removed. and the new ones were already sent for painting.
The frame was pulled back and Chicca was looking almost back to her normal self again.
The SA explained that the rear quarter panel had to be replaced as there was not enough room from behind to get it back into shape.
I did not argue much and just asked him what the procedure was.
He explained that from the rear tail light till about halfway of the bootlid would be cut. and the new quarter panel will be spot welded and MIG welded from the side near the tail lights.
He asked me to take a call on the tail lights.
Though Chicca was parked in the open when it was raining no water had seeped into the lights. Yet knowing my finicky self and very very.... no wait extremely tempted by having to pay only 50% of the tail lights costs.
I did a quick calculation of going to Mumbai to pick them up from Opera house ~ it would cost me 2K in petrol. I would have to trouble @dot and request him to join me. We would have lunch etc. it would come to about 3K. and then the cost of buying the new set of tail lights. So decided it would cost about the same if not more. Hence told the SA to go ahead an replace.

He said that 10% salvage was compulsory with this particular insurance company and that i am free to take the parts home. I tried to wiggle out of the salvage but he said it was not in his hands. So i told him i would bring my tempo and take the damaged parts back with me. He was a bit taken a back as he didn't think i would do so.

Moving on.....

Here came the softer side of things.
He asked will you pay in cash or DD?
So here my DAD stepped in.
He said look **** Bhai, do something for us.
I pitched in ~ This guy rear ends me, and i have to pay for all this from my pocket, not to mention the trauma and inconvenience.
He said i can't do *much* it's all in the hands of the insurance company.
So i promptly put in ~ Look i am ready to pay in cash, that's not a problem.
I then took this opportunity to point out some damage which was done earlier and a few minor scratches here and there.
Out of no where ~ he then said ~ OK, i will get this damage part fixed and touch up all the scratches.
Seemed good enough, did not say a word more than thank you,
With this our Sabzi market session was over.
Hinges he said look in shape, but will confirm alignment when putting the boot lid back on. Ditto for striker and lock.
But most likely these will not need to be changed.

Now for the best part.
Delivery is Friday evening ~ Latest Saturday morning.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
Will post pics soon of the new and refreshed Chicca.
Drive Safe!
Old 8th June 2011, 01:06   #50
BHPian

@mdsaab
glad to hear chicca will be back on road soon
Sloppy work my Honda A.S.S regarding the estimate and insurance procedure i must say.

Do post detailed pics and also let us know how did the refreshed chicca came out.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 10:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

So what's the total bill coming to?
Old 8th June 2011, 12:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Did you not tell them about picking ANHC if they don't charge you for the incident
Old 8th June 2011, 13:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@mdsaab
glad to hear chicca will be back on road soon
Sloppy work my Honda A.S.S regarding the estimate and insurance procedure i must say.

Do post detailed pics and also let us know how did the refreshed chicca came out.
It would give me immense pleasure to post the pics of a refreshed Chicca. And to be honest. it was more like all of you team members dealing with the insurance guy & Honda, I being just the mediator. Thanks to all once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
So what's the total bill coming to?
I am yet to get an exact figure from them, can you imagine. But what has made me relax a bit, is the Honda Insurance SA is no longer just that ~ but upgraded to ~ NO not a friendly SA yet, But let's just say an Acquainted SA. The total bill amount is not going to be 94K atleast, i do hope that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Did you not tell them about picking ANHC if they don't charge you for the incident
and LOL! I wish it were like that. BTW we did end up picking the ANHC. and paid the booking amount yesterday itself.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:16   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Thread cleaned up. Please stick to the thread topic.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab: Glad to see that the trouble is finally coming to an end.
Hope all goes well with the delivery part and no monkey business is carried out in billing. Do update us as to what the totals were. 94k is not a small amount! Hope it does not go more than that.

P.S: Wanted to say this initially but did not want to spoil the mood even more- Your BHP stickers would probably go waste, with the work carried out on the bootlid. Wanna bum some off me? Got a few extras .
Old 10th June 2011, 18:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

First a little update. Spoke to the acquainted SA about half an hour ago.
He said that Chicca should be ready tomorrow afternoon.
The approx bill is now down from the astronomical 94K to the still high 75K.
Tomorrow morning will get the final bill amount as well as how much i will have to shell out from my pocket.
@dot spoke to the friendly SA ~ who told him that work is almost complete and painting is currently underway.
Will post pics and final bill amount tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar
@mdsaab: Glad to see that the trouble is finally coming to an end.
Hope all goes well with the delivery part and no monkey business is carried out in billing. Do update us as to what the totals were. 94k is not a small amount! Hope it does not go more than that.

P.S: Wanted to say this initially but did not want to spoil the mood even more- Your BHP stickers would probably go waste, with the work carried out on the bootlid. Wanna bum some off me? Got a few extras .
Thanks for the very generous offer. And will probably take you up on it. But first go and enjoy the Pune-Mumbai mega meet. Hope to meet up after that.

Last edited by mdsaab : 10th June 2011 at 18:17.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 19:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First a little update. Spoke to the acquainted SA about half an hour ago.
He said that Chicca should be ready tomorrow afternoon.
The approx bill is now down from the astronomical 94K to the still high 75K.
Tomorrow morning will get the final bill amount as well as how much i will have to shell out from my pocket..
Great news mdsaab. So what was the inflated spare which reduced the bill by a good 19K. Have you the latest estimate in detail.

Do keep us updated and post the pics of the ride.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

~Chicca's Back~

*PHEW* what a relief.
This Saturday, was a rather stressful day, first of all i woke up with a horrible headache as i couldn't sleep well Friday night. Then there was an uncertainty whether Chicca would indeed return home on Saturday or not.
I called up the Acquainted SA at around 11 AM Saturday morning to get the final bill amount and my share of the damages from my pocket.
His answer was that the bill was at 71K and my share of the damages was in the range of 20-25K. To be told me to once the bill is finalized by the insurance company. Not thinking about money, i asked him what time i should come down to the workshop to pick my Babe up. and to that came a shocking reply. Explaining it's Saturday and that he has been following up with the insurance company since yesterday and till 5 PM on Friday there was no letter authorizing their side of the payment and so Honda cannot release the car. I said look i desperately need the car back, it's raining these days and i don't have another car to use (a white lie ofcourse). To which he replies "it's a government company saab, they don't work on Saturday but i will try my best, they said they can e-mail me their letter etc etc." and "You can pay the full amount and take the car back if you like" I told him that it's a cashless claim, so why in the world will i pay the whole amount. I asked him to do his best and i look forward to picking her up later in the afternoon.

Frustrated to the core. I was a little confused as to what i should do next.
Shrugging my shoulders and deciding to move on.
I decided let's no ruin an otherwise perfect Saturday and so Got baby and myself ready, giving my wife her very much needed break, she works so hard at getting everything right - and YES i am a piece of work.
I took baby, strapped her up in her Baby seat and drove off to my parents place, approx 3 mins later, we arrive. Yes it's real close!

Why is this guy ranting on about his Saturday? here comes the good part.
So i decided to shoot a few racks of pool and get my mind off things and calm myself down, the no sleep, headache, tension all turning me into a nervous wreck. My dad walks down into the pool room and asks me what's up with the car? i tell him the above story, i am sure you don't want me to type it again and may just go to sleep right here on your desk. But here's the good part. He asks me to hand over my phone and dial the ASA number. He speaks to him, and with authority that too, and literally lays it down, that BOSS we are coming down at around 2ish like you asked us too and taking the Car home. so better get whatever letter and anything else that you may need ready and we shall see you later. and to my surprise, the guys says Sir please don't come at 2, i don't want you to wait. come by 3-3:30 and i will get things ready. He even says Sir please don't forget the cash. also throws in, car is ready only letter from insurance company is pending. So my Dad says fair enough, we will be there at 3 PM.

and with that my mood turned for the better. So we decided to have a nice lunch and then head over to Honda to pick Chicca up.

Upon arrival at Honda it was a pleasure knowing that the bill was ready, and that a few moments from now, Chicca will be mine again.

The final bill amount was a real high 71K.
and my share of the pie was 20,5xx odd.
Dad spoke to the ASA got it rounded to a nice 20K.

and then we entered the workshop floor to take a look at Chicca.

and this is what we saw...

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0280.jpg

Flashback to the day of delivery!

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0281.jpg

The brand new taillights as decided by finicky me! hey 50% off was quite tempting you know.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0282.jpg

The scratch/dent which was removed, you know how.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0283.jpg

The dent, the cause of which one of our very own Puneri rossi's was removed from the left rear door in the you know how way.
Civic Rear Ended!-img_0284.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0285.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0286.jpg

Three pics of the customary "AT HONDA, YOUR VEHICLE IS OUR VEHICLE"
But it really does make you feel special when you have a pit crew of boys shining up your ride.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0288.jpg

The left side of the boot lid not sitting flush was a disturbing sight.
Civic Rear Ended!-img_0287.jpg

The right side of the bootlid, absolutely flush.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0292.jpg

This can pointed out by my mom, really let us have a good laugh. It was promptly snapped as i know @Guderian would just love it.
Civic Rear Ended!-img_0293.jpg

The rear quarter panel, 2 tail lights, and bumper clips is what i took home in the Chicca's boot. The bumper and bootlid still at the dealership. Have to pick it up within 8 days, as we forgot to take the tempo with us.
Civic Rear Ended!-img_0296.jpg

This little rubber bush was the cause of the left side of the bootlid not sitting flush. So it was promptly adjusted and now it's all good.
Civic Rear Ended!-img_0297.jpg

The work at the Honda workshop is pretty decent as you can see from this pic.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0299.jpg

The striker stayed.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0300.jpg

as did the Boot lock.

Last edited by mdsaab : 13th June 2011 at 16:13.
Old 13th June 2011, 16:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

I wish we all had fathers like yours !

Great to know your car is back with you. What are you planning to do with the parts taken out?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 16:31   #60
BHPian

Great!!!
Chicca with renewed vigour looks smashingly hot.
Nice job by Deccan Honda, perfect finish.
The panel gaps from the pics look even and consistant.
Wish you the very best and many more trouble free miles.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks