Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 14:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

My fear is the blind spot created by the A-pillar in the Punto! Many a times have to crave my neck forward to make sure the road is clear - this is especially when taking blind right turns/curves.
Another one is that of the vehicles (two-wheelers, cars, buses anything) drifting from one lane to another without any reason. My feeling is that drivers either tend to loose concentration or are simply unaware that the vehicle is actually drifting! That's why invariably honk before overtaking.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't use the term fear, but I'm always on the lookout for these two : Pedestrians & unwanted objects (e.g. a boulder) in my way. And God knows, there are so many of them. Pedestrians walking carelessly across the road (including National Highways!!) and rocks / boulders left behind carelessly by construction workers in the middle of the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
only to find out that I was the only person who was on time and the rest coolly make it late and don't even care about being late.
I know that feeling. A top insurance company in India had a complaint; whenever they schedule a video conference, the Germans are present 5 minutes prior to the designated time. The Americans on time. Their Indian counterparts, however, need a reminder 5 minutes after the assigned time, and finally appear an average of 15 - 20 minutes after .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 16:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Sum of all Fears:
Being stranded on a lonely road on the highway with a dysfunctional car and family in there.

EDIT:
Even I know that feeling @crossroads. Because I also end up at times, when every one is just starting for the destination!

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2011 at 16:28.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Only fear I have while driving (specifically) on highway is the possibility of tire blow out, especially the front wheel!
Old 20th June 2011, 16:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

I don't know which would be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sum of all Fears:
Being stranded on a lonely road on the highway with a dysfunctional car and family in there.
OR

Being on a crowded road with a dysfunctional family in a broken down car.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Getting stranded on highway due to mechanical failure.
2. Road runners of the human kind who jump out of no where to run first half of the road and then walking in slow motion on remaining half.
3. Vehicles which take wrong side of the road. The worst ones comes on right wrong side hugging the median.
4. Crashing in to potholes, unmarked speed breakers. ( Got this phobia after once breaking shocks of dads car and breaking shocks cracking windsheild of friends car once)
Old 20th June 2011, 16:47   #22
BHPian

I fear driving at night in heavy rains when visibility is very less and some morons driving on the highway with lack of tail-lights or reflectors.
Also I fear that on a single road when I shadow someone and he tucks in suddenly and some vehicle is not seen suddenly comes in front. Had this scary moment once in my life and managed to escape by the skin of my teeth. But never tried this again.
I also fear to drive when I am exhausted and feel sleepy at the steering wheel. Its dangerous IMHO.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:50   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
My biggest fear is overconfidence - the moment I am over confidence about my abilities, I am sure I am extending an open invitation to accidents.
Brilliantly put! Even my biggest fear is misjudging my own or my car's abilities.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My biggest fear is overconfidence - the moment I am over confidence about my abilities, I am sure I am extending an open invitation to accidents.
That's why i don't drive relaxed on the road. Maybe cause it's only an year since i started driving often after getting the license.
Biggest fear is of course an horrible accident,but that's a general fear.
Specifically it's getting stuck in the middle of the road in rush hour.
And the greatest fear(stupid too) is leaving the key inside the car and locking it.But having lived through that nightmare, now i am aware of it all time and make sure the key is in my hand when i get out of the car.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:17   #25
BHPian

I fear the following:
a) The bikes/tractors or cars coming from the wrong side
b) Unpainted spead breakers (these are mainly the fears during the night hours)
c) VOLVO City buses on Bangalore Roads (yes, they change lanes almost like the bikes changing the lanes)

I am sure I have few more but could not recollect now.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right and very well said. I too fear the same.

Normally, I do complete an overtaking maneuver in one swift motion, without having to fall back. But I failed to do...getting into the position to overtake but couldn't complete as there were oncoming vehicles. It had happened quite a few times recently, and I started getting doubts over my abilities.

Beyond that, I do not have any phobias but one niggling problem is I feel sleepy while driving during the afternoons.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:33   #27
BHPian

My biggest fear is negotiating an up-hill "RED" traffic signal in the peak hours! (I am an occassional driver btw ).

1. I fret vehicle shutting-0ff leading to heavy honking/yelling/staring from fellow road users

2. Vehicle backing-0ff and bumping into other vehicles behind

Last edited by whitesquall : 20th June 2011 at 17:37.
Old 20th June 2011, 18:20   #28
BHPian

My fear list:
1. stranded on a lonely road on the highway with family diue to mech failure.

2. Pedestrians crossing on highways/expressways (in this order - at night, on corners/Blind spots. combination of all is a nightmare )

3. Potholes/unwanted objects on highways

4. Moronic lane changers (who cant hold on a lane for more than a min, simply for no reason!!!) - I constantly encounter these morons on my trips in NH7.

5. Sleepy truck drivers -- I got this experience once: I was trying to overtake a truck in middlelane (3 lanes on this highway) after flashing lights twice , waited for few seconds and then started overtaking the truck at the rightmost lane and to my horror, this truck started coming to my lane to overtake another vehicle which was around 50-60 mts away. I was doing 120 kmph. Did emergency braking & had presence of mind not to steer as I would have hit the divider. Was able to slowdown just in nick of time (inches away from truck) and moved to the middle lane.

Good thread, btw
Old 20th June 2011, 18:39   #29
BHPian

My fear
any break downs on the highway when im with my family
lonely roads at night at unknown places
pedestrians crossing the highways
bikers coming right in front of the car and breaking or passing too closely
pot holes at high speeds
Old 20th June 2011, 20:01   #30
BHPian

My biggest fear is flat tires. Whenever I feel that the vehicle is dragging to a particular side, I immediately feel that there is a flat tire . Many times, I would get down, inspect all the four tires. I used to do it so often with my Santro (did not have tubeless tires), that my wife used to get frustrated and say why can't you be relaxed.

With i10 (with tubeless tires), the fear is less (not gone though) and I don't check too often. This is because of my experience wherein a nail was in the tire for months and still the tire held good without becoming flat.

The next fear would be stranded in middle of nowhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks