Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

While driving alone delhi-agra, I was incited by a gang of 4 in another car with frantically waving hands to overtake them, maybe because of a previous overtaking maneuver they did not like. I held back my speed and let them disappear. They too slowed down for some time, waiting for me to overtake, and have some kind of a confrontation.

Though I love to do long distances, I am really scared of intimidating behaviour shown by unruly motorists on the road. Have already been mugged once at knife-point and the thing just doesn't get off my mind. Fear this kind of behaviour more than the jaywalkers, cattle, potholes etc.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Pedestrians got to be my priority!! Especially the confused ones who step into your path and then start calculating how fast you are approaching them, and then start the calculations: "The car is at 80 kmph and it is approaching me from a distance of 300 metres. I have covered 1/3rd of the lane, which is 3 feet. Now do I have sufficient time to cover the remaining 6 feet before the car reaches the spot I am on? Oh well, let me use my highschool mathematics and calculate". And finally, "oh no, I don't have enough time, but let me run anyway. Perhaps my acceleration will save me".

Secondly, the two-wheeler and three-wheeler drivers that first turn their vehicles and then turn their necks to see if there is any traffic behind them.

Now-a-days I also fear potholes, ever since I broke my suspension after going into a six feet deep pothole on NH 48 that was dug to bury the dead.

Then I fear the vehicles that try overtaking at blind curves, especially when they are coming towards me.

Well, I guess I fear everything :-(
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Now-a-days I also fear potholes, ever since I broke my suspension after going into a six feet deep pothole on NH 48 that was dug to bury the dead.
was it really a Dead pit? LOL
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Unmarked speed breakers/ car wreckers scare me the most specially on unfamiliar roads. Thats the reason why even on highways I rarely cross 100.

The only other nightmare is when driving in the night trying to fight out all the high beams being projected into your eyes. And if you are wearing spectacles like me the problem is even worse.
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:02   #50
BHPian

Well there are so many things, i am concerned (not afraid) of when I am driving. But one situation I would definitely want to avoid - stuck behind a truck /bus with disfunctional brakelight in rain at night . Fellow bhpians from Kerala would agree that it is not a rare occurance.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 22nd June 2011 at 16:06.
Old 1st July 2011, 09:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear is crossing Railway Tracks - The barrier when lowered down still does not stop people from crossing. In fact when the barrier is being lowered people still try to get across. My car has once stopped inches away from a passing train. I avoid railway tracks.

The only other fear would be an unknown deserted unlit road.
Old 1st July 2011, 15:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
While driving alone delhi-agra, I was incited by a gang of 4 in another car with frantically waving hands to overtake them, maybe because of a previous overtaking maneuver they did not like. I held back my speed and let them disappear. They too slowed down for some time, waiting for me to overtake, and have some kind of a confrontation.

Though I love to do long distances, I am really scared of intimidating behaviour shown by unruly motorists on the road. Have already been mugged once at knife-point and the thing just doesn't get off my mind. Fear this kind of behaviour more than the jaywalkers, cattle, potholes etc.
Get yourself a can of pepper spray, its available online these days as well (just google it). Always safe to keep a can in your glove box. It will really help calm you down.

PS : I'm not suggesting or promoting use of violent means, but only as a means of protecting yourself the next time some thugs with knives come near you. Believe me, pepper spray works like magic and you can get away from a spot without getting hurt

BTW, I identify with most or all of the fears mentioned on this thread, am I a wuss or what ?
Old 6th July 2011, 10:46   #53
BHPian

Motorcyclists/cyclists on the wrong side of the road (esp., on highways)
Missing out pedestrians at night (mainly due to the oncoming vehicle's high beam!)
Old 6th July 2011, 10:50   #54
BHPian

My biggest fears are, Stray Dogs on highways, Tractors & Bullock Carts on the wrong lane at extreme right position, sudden crossing of rural folks who tend to cross the hihways/expressways without bothering to look at the road.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Biggest fear when in car/bike is getting rear ended by careless drivers/riders who are not in control of their vehicle.

The next biggest fear is of course flat tires on the highway since I travel most of the times in the night.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:08   #56
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread folks !
My first thought was do I have any fears when driving ? Then I realized, yes so many in fact. After reading the thread can I say "all of the above" ?

Well at least few that are almost always at the back of the mind (probably because of one/more bad experiences) are:
1.Vehicles too close to my car - scared of scratches, nicks, dents
2.When crossing the traffic signal, will it turn red suddenly ? Same when driving through an intersection of roads. Scared of someone following too closely and rear-ending if I brake suddenly
3.Humans/Dogs/animals suddenly running across the street in front of the car
4.Stones/other objects falling/moving on the road
5.Stranded with some car trouble on highways (with family)
In fact I have an example of all the above 5 which is the cause of the fears.
EDIT:add to these the latest one - Mugging. Thankfully I don't have a live experience of this.

Last edited by NPV : 8th July 2011 at 20:13.
Old 8th July 2011, 23:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
:-D I'm speechless!

That is probably the biggest fear one can have. :-P
Sarcasm?!!
I hope you prosper very fast and develop a pot belly in the bargain. Only then can you realize the truth of my statement, my friend.
You have a long way to go until you hit 40!!

Last edited by noidea : 8th July 2011 at 23:26.
noidea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 00:35   #58
BHPian

As other members have written, we all have many things to fear when driving in India, whether in cities or on highways.I share most of the worries that have been shared here.
But my greatest, most overwhelming fear is of hitting someone!
To avoid that to the extent possible has therefore been my endeavour over the years.
I have therefore adopted defensive driving techniques since many years.
My ego very often takes a hit but, I console myself,at least I'm doing the right thing.
Old 9th July 2011, 10:01   #59
J.Ravi

Whenever I stop at the red signal, I dreadfully fear that some maniac or insane might rear-end my Linea. I constantly look at IRVM/ORVM for such idiots. This fear would continue until the signal turns into green. I don't know, when I would be cured of this phobia.

Old 9th July 2011, 11:00   #60
BHPian

I think India with it's driving culture merits more of a "Cocktail of major fears" rather than just one biggest fear

Among others, all of us fear:
1) Some maniac rear ending us as we are peacefully standing at a red light.
2) A 98847 year old auto scratching your beautiful car.
3) A cyclist/pedestrian deciding to come in front of your vehicle - and yes - of course it's your fault!!
4) Some jerk driving the wrong way on a national highway and then flashing his headlights to ask YOU to get out of the way - all this to save petrol/diesel worth Rs 10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks