Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 21:57   #106
BHPian

Re: Your biggest fear while riding / driving

Having a constant sense of fear while driving is inviting trouble as you are more focussed about your fear. It generates a sense of conciousness which prevents you from focussing on the road ahead. I don't fear about the odds but rather prepare for the worst, its the instincts which I trust the most and always prepared to expect the unexpected.

Nevertheless, the world is filled with idiots, roads are their playground. Its these players I am afraid of, who are unpredictable, pop out unexpectedly out of a lane, or around the corners disguised as suicidal maniacs, the trucks with their blazing headlights, like a curtain of light, makes it impossible to spot people crossing the road just when you don't want them or a randomly parked truck/car/tractor on the edge of the road covering half of it without any proper signalling. I also fear kids popping out all of a sudden out of narrow by-lanes and a mild fear of a tire burst while doing high speeds.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I belt up at every opportunity I get but when I have to sit in the middle on the last seat in Innova I don't have the option to belt up sadly. A couple of cars don't have the middle belt in the middle seat also.
!!

Innova does have lap belts in both middle and last row. you can use them
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Innova does have lap belts in both middle and last row. you can use them
Sure they do, I meant our office cabs don't have them. A lot of them have the side seat belts removed too.

I had actually spoken to the Facilities guy about similar things in the very first month of my joining here early this year and the look he gave me told me everything i.e. I'm getting an AC cab in good condition and I should be happy about it.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:00   #109
Senior - BHPian

Being a sitting duck for a moron from the opposite side, overtaking someone at a blind corner. No, I'm not joking, there are many a private buses on Kerala 2-lanes who overtake at corners! So I really fear trying a fast cornering on even my side of the road.

And of course, dings from impatient motorists trying to squeeze in traffic.
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:46   #110
BHPian

On the chennai OMR, the biggest fear in the crazy traffic is the Barricades that are kept. Sometimes these are straight, sometimes at an angle, and sometimes its fallen on the ground. Most of time this road has more that 4 - 5 lanes of traffic,also there are no prior warnings, and many a times themselves are dangerous or forcing the motorist to take last minute evasion which in turn causes probles for other motorist.

The Company buses, cabs and the volvo buses are menance on such roads.
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

Actually, my biggest fear, while driving, is a lowly "Tire Burst"!
I have had one in the past, and know the loss of control that ensues, and that feeling of helplessness.
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:57   #112
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually few of them, not just one
-when overtaking, the vehicle on left drifting to my lane
-superbike (usually TVS 50!) borne guys zooming across the highway, entering from fields
-on 4 laned roads, when I'm on right lane, vehicles from opposite side making a sudden right turn at a crossing
-pedestrians jumping from median onto the fast lane to cross over
and..
-2 flat tyres at the same time (has happened once and we got lucky finding help to fix!)

Last edited by NPV : 3rd December 2014 at 11:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:58   #113
BHPian

Mine:

1) What if some moron appears out of nowhere, obviously in the wrong side, near /at a U turn, and I am unable to stop well in time? U.P. bhpians can relate to it immediately. They probably save 2ml of petrol that way...big deal!

2) What if the car doors fail to open, (you know, the emergency we dont want to speak about), when needed...despite this, I don't keep a hammer or a club, in the car!

3) What if I am falsely implicated by a traffic cop, I start arguing and get entrapped in a bigger mess.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 3rd December 2014 at 11:59.
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:37   #114
BHPian

My deepest fear:
Driving on a rainy night on pitch-dark roads and you don't know where the next puddle is and with vehicles coming in the opposite direction with their headlamps in the full beam mode

Closest to the above is riding behind an auto because you never know when they'll turn right/left and when they'll suddenly halt
Car-go-man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Mine:

1) What if some moron appears out of nowhere, obviously in the wrong side, near /at a U turn, and I am unable to stop well in time? U.P. bhpians can relate to it immediately. They probably save 2ml of petrol that way...big deal!

2) What if the car doors fail to open, (you know, the emergency we dont want to speak about), when needed...despite this, I don't keep a hammer or a club, in the car!

3) What if I am falsely implicated by a traffic cop, I start arguing and get entrapped in a bigger mess.
1 - Can't help, and absolutely the prevalent thing in U.P. It's totally lawless out here.
2 - You can either kick out the Windscreen, with your legs (if you are agile enough), or use the Seat Head Rest to smash through the Windows.
3- Leave aside your sense of rationality and morality and make him see reason using those green or pink pieces of paper, depending on how far his irrationality has dipped.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 13:37   #116
BHPian

My biggest fear is getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, the fear comes from the vast library of Slasher movies that I have in my hard drive
Nats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 12:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear while driving is "traffic jams". Traffic jams are most irritating situations which ruin all your plans related time and distance. I had many bad experiences related to traffic jams, which ruined my plans. I can handle all other things like break down, punctures, etc but Traffic jams are my biggest nightmares.

Your biggest fear while riding / driving-20bg_traffic_jam.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Of late, I seem to have successfully dug myself out of the dark web of fears that engulfed me once a while.

The fears were not of robbers, accidents, darkness or ghosts; rather, I was afraid of something untoward happening with my car - a burst tyre, broken pedal, loose cable, fused bulb, leaking oil etc. I used to be a budding hypochondriac, worrying about my car's health.

While a number of breakdown stories read here and the sights of cars parked by the roadside with bonnets open and occupants stranded, fed into my fears, they also encouraged me to judiciously run a PDI (Pre & Post - Drive - Inspection) so that I could avoid the unexpected.

As I slowly but steadily began to understand my car, I realised that I had very less reasons to worry. I now drive confidently; but make sure to give the car a detailed look over before and after a long drive
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:39   #119

Know that this is a bit old thread. I have a peculiar issue. Fear of driving small cars!. I started driving at the age of 18 and now I am 34. Drove father's CL500 MDI, Maruti 800, Mahindra Verito & Alto 800 before buying my first car, alto k10. Used it for two years and could not bear my fear issue anymore. Bought a Mahindra Bolero in 2016 and covered 1.10 lakh kilometers till now. I thought my psychological issue had gone away. Recently got an Ignis for my wife. While I drive it, I am realizing that my fear of driving small cars has not gone away. I tend to drive the ignis faster when I see a bigger vehicle in the ORVM. I feel i am never at home driving small cars. Tips are welcome ��
madrasilemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:56   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasilemon View Post
Know that this is a bit old thread. I have a peculiar issue. Fear of driving small cars!. I started driving at the age of 18 and now I am 34. Drove father's CL500 MDI, Maruti 800, Mahindra Verito & Alto 800 before buying my first car, alto k10. Used it for two years and could not bear my fear issue anymore. Bought a Mahindra Bolero in 2016 and covered 1.10 lakh kilometers till now. I thought my psychological issue had gone away. Recently got an Ignis for my wife. While I drive it, I am realizing that my fear of driving small cars has not gone away. I tend to drive the ignis faster when I see a bigger vehicle in the ORVM. I feel i am never at home driving small cars. Tips are welcome ��
I share your fears and we aren't wrong in feeling uneasy when in smaller vehicles either. Crash tests and ratings are fine when objects of equal size are pitted against each other in tests. In real world conditions, when a bigger object goes at a smaller one, you don't want to be in the smaller one. Besides, the M800, Alto, my very own A Star...these are likely to be run over by a Fortuner or Endeavour in a head-on or rear-ending accident - should such a misfortune befall one. (I hate myself for saying it, but it had to be said!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks