Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 20:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

My fear is stopping at a signal as it changes from amber to red. I always watch my back when I do so to see if there is any bus/lorry thundering down on me.

Also I am not comfortable when I approach an empty signal already in green. I do not like to accelerate and try to "catch" the green. Once I did that on my bike and was knocked down by an auto jumping its red signal. Fortunately I was not seriously hurt.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:58   #32
BHPian

My biggest fear while driving is trailing behind an overloaded truck carrying stuff which is all tied up and looks as if they are going to fall into you any moment.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:10   #33
BHPian

My biggest fear is being hit by an inattentive driver from behind when I have to stop suddenly due to the vehicle in front of me slams on the brakes. Generally I avoid being too near the vehicle in front, and leave enough gap so that I can apply the brakes gradually, all the while watching the vehicle in the rear.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:42   #34
BHPian

Oh boy! Is this list going to be short. Its becoming more like a phobia now.

In city :

1. Being hit even when you are a safe driver.

2. Break-down in the middle of the road, worse in a maddening morning traffic.

Highways :

1. Dread driving on state highways with absolutely no lighting and in the night. Icing on the cake - bullock carts with no indications, vehicles that have broken-down and with no hazards on, crossroads and people crossing.

2. Unexpected humps with no markings - worse in the darkness

3. Deep ruts and cuts on the road, that can easily gobble you up.

4. Morons driving with high-beam both in opposite direction and right behind you, and you always struck with the fear on what is in front when you are absolutely blinded.

5. Fear of animals crossing unexpected, even crazy nuts who care a damn for others driving.

6. Last but the most fearsome - almost lonely on the highway in the dark and having a breakdown. The fear of waylaid and expectation for support, pulls you apart before even asking for help.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:17   #35
BHPian

Suicidal pedestrians! The one thing I've learnt in Delhi is that pedestrians have a deep rooted grudge against cars, and try to take them on in the first instance possible. Something that happened a couple of months back on Mathura road near the SV metro station:

I see a vague shape near the bend (there are no street lights) and switch on my high beam. Turns out this guy who's trying to cross the road has seen my car and just stopped. I go forward and he decides to take a mad rush across my car. Time for an evasive maneuver (Bond-esque!): quick tug of the steering wheel and I'm going to the left of him (feeling pretty good with the handling of the diminutive Spark as well) when he stops again, and sort of paddles back in front of my car. I stop. All the while keeping my fingers crossed that the car behind does not rear end me. The person glares at me! Then walks off forcing a Baleno that was overtaking me from the right to come to a screeching halt.

Thoroughly chastised, I have since understood that:

1. I'm not James Bond.
2. Even if I was, the Delhi pedestrian would have defeated me.
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 12:42   #36
BHPian

When overtaking a bus that has stopped at a bus stop, I've seen people running suddenly from the front of the bus. I always slow down when crossing them, seen a few accidents in the past happen cos of this senseless crossing.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
When overtaking a bus that has stopped at a bus stop, I've seen people running suddenly from the front of the bus. I always slow down when crossing them, seen a few accidents in the past happen cos of this senseless crossing.
Yeah, even I used to face this problem most of the time, whether in city or in the highways passing through the small towns or villages. Now, by default, I slow down considerably assuming there must be somebody who is crossing the road from the front of the bus! .
Old 21st June 2011, 14:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear with no gender biasing is following behind a lady in a two wheeler, with man size helmets and fully covered face(using all kind of clothes). Add to that an MP3 player as well. When you honk they seldom use the rear mirrors but turn 180 180degree to see "where the sound came from.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:10   #39
BHPian

My biggest fear would be
(1) people crossing the road with a bloody cell on their hand talking away to glory and walking as if they are on a walk after dinner
(2) people crossing roads after making very very sure that vehicles don't come from "wrong" direction. Crazy stuff
(3) BMTC, BMTC, BMTC and bikes, cyclists (anything on 2 wheels) and cabbies. The same cabbies are extraordinarily (generally) nice on weekends and holidays.
(4) This has to do with the car I own. Stupid A-pillar of SX4. How I wish I knew about these things when I was buying the car

Old 21st June 2011, 15:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
This has to do with the car I own. Stupid A-pillar of SX4. How I wish I knew about these things when I was buying the car
Right dude. When I took the test drive of your car (never drove SX4 before), even I noticed this pillar which obstructs your view on right side. Otherwise this is a good car indeed.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

All two and three wheelers . Their moves are so unpredictable hence always would be cautious while overtaking them.
Concerned on getting scratches /dents (that are nowadays inevitable) in busy trafiic.

Cheers!
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
My biggest fear is flat tires. Whenever I feel that the vehicle is dragging to a particular side, I immediately feel that there is a flat tire . Many times, I would get down, inspect all the four tires. I used to do it so often with my Santro (did not have tubeless tires), that my wife used to get frustrated and say why can't you be relaxed.

With i10 (with tubeless tires), the fear is less (not gone though) and I don't check too often. This is because of my experience wherein a nail was in the tire for months and still the tire held good without becoming flat.

The next fear would be stranded in middle of nowhere.
My fear is quite similar and that is only because I have a big tummy.
It is difficult for me to bend down, get on my knees and change the tyres.
I pay my driver his salary not for driving but to accompany me on my trips so in case I have a flat tyre he will do the changing for me. LOL
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea

My fear is quite similar and that is only because I have a big tummy.
It is difficult for me to bend down, get on my knees and change the tyres.
I pay my driver his salary not for driving but to accompany me on my trips so in case I have a flat tyre he will do the changing for me. LOL
:-D I'm speechless!

That is probably the biggest fear one can have. :-P
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Same as most, animals and humans jumping in your way from the divider.

And not to mention those idiots riding their two wheeler in opp direction on a expressway
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Same as most, animals and humans jumping in your way from the divider.
Just reminded me an incidence happened in this christmas vacation. We were in Pune and went out for dinner with my friend who stays in Pune near hinjewadi. We were driving back home and my friend was driving. We were on NH4 and our car was on the right most lane. Speed of the Alto (my friend's car) was arround 100-110 KM. suddenly a cow jumped on the road from the divider all of a sudden! My friend gave all his effort to stop the car and also took a little left turn to avoid any collision. At last the right back of the car touch the cow a bit but nothing major. We were indeed too lucky to escape any major incidence on that day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks