Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 16:06   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Err...the vehicle is towed by police to the station only when the accident involved has killed some person. Otherwise the vehicle is not taken into custody.
Not sure if that's correct. In case an FIR is registered, both the vehicles are impounded whether or not someone has been injured.

I know this firsthand when on Ring Road, after crossing AIIMS and before reaching Sarojini Nagar flyover, there was a bus which nudged my car's left ORVM. This joker was coming out of the bus stand and joining main traffic. Being evening hour, there was a chaos on the road and this bugger had no patience to wait. Rather he preferred bullying his way in the main flow of traffic and broke my ORVM in the process.

What pissed me more was the fact that my 2 month old son was in his seat on the left rear seat. I stopped this bus - a chartered one - ferrying office commuters, and called up 100 from my cellphone. About 30 mins later, the PCR arrived (they too were stuck in traffic) and listened to both sides of the story. Finally one of the cops told me to let go of the matter since registering an FIR would mean they would need to confiscate both vehicles, and since I was with my family, it would inconvenience me more. Not that I was convinced (courtesy call cabs which can pick and drop you on a phone call), but had to let go of the idea of registering FIR because of pleadings from passengers of that bus who were of course behind my back cursing me for holding them up, but were cursing their driver more for driving rashly.

Another interesting incident happened with me last week when we were going for dinner at DSOI Dhaula Kuan from Gurgaon. Folks familiar with this area would recollect there's a service lane on left which meets NH8 just before the DSOI entrance. Now, to complicate matters, there's a bus stop too on that service lane from which buses enter the main road.

Now when I reached this point, there was a bus which was trying to negotiate its way in the main flow. With me on the left lane, waiting for him to move, he got space and he came on to the main road. While I was waiting for him to clear the way, there's another blueline bus which comes from the bus stop and tries to bully its way by obstructing me. When I was waiting for one bus to pass, I could have waited for one more. But what agitated me was the attitude of the second bus driver who seemed to think he could bulldoze his way.

I slowly moved my vehicle and obstructed his way too partially from his right, got out, went to the driver and asked him if he was in a hurry. When he replied in affirmative, I gave him a piece of mind and told him never in future to mess with vehicles taking left from this particular place lest he wants to be beaten up by army orderlies. Immediately there was a volta face from our johnny, with folded hands and apologies flowing left, right and center, reversed his bus and allowed me to move.

Otherwise I am a patient and rule following driver, however, I can't stand someone bullying on the roads. That's where road rage kicks in and my wife, on all such occasions, yells at me asking if I have taken up the responsibility of making everyone see traffic sense
Old 31st August 2010, 17:11   #62
BHPian

How I manage keeping my cool on roads -
I never open my mouth or shout at anyone. Whenever I come across all kinds of morons we are discussing in this forum I use my roots-windtone horns to do the shouting, but only a couple of times. Good if that moron gets it right & corrects himself or I just leave it at that. No eye contact, no cursing, no shouting. Honk loudly a couple of times & leave it!
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 18:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

My experience- 4 years ago on way to Electronics city. Me was driving Unicorn trying my level best to be on road while others are trying their best to move off the road (most of the way was under construction then)

I finally saw a free stretch and started revving up which was when I heard a loud honk and a car racing towards me, I raced ahead, the honks continued but I did not budge, I raced along humming that "ride on time tune" When the indica's (?) horn subsided I smiled and reached my office only to find that my mobile was not anymore in my pocket!

Only then did I realize that I raced past a good samaritan who was trying to return my mobile back to me. It was a Nokia 6600!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 31st August 2010 at 18:19.
anilisanil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 20:16   #64
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just went to my physio and got back. A moron tried squeezing between me and a narrow gate on a left turn. I got irritated and decided not to pull back so that he can go ahead. He was the one squeezing ahead. I stopped there. He tried his great manouvre and then his front door scrapes against my bumper. From the feel I could understand that his door is getting a nice dent while it's the plastic part of my car. Bugger tries not to pull back but forward. Then he realises that he can't go any further and I refused to pull back. Security near the gate comes running.
He pulls back, I see in the lights of my headlight a nice dent on his front door. He was driving a Maruti esteem.
He doesn't even bother to stop and ask me anything. I just switch off my ignition, thinking he'd come for a "chat". Bugger slots in first gear and goes ahead.
I follow him and he tries to "Shake me off his trail". I had to take the same route, but he thought may be I'm following him and he bolted.
Now I'm beginning to wonder whether he stole that car from the parking lot and tried to squeeze between me, a tata indica before me (he nearly rear ended that one), cut ahead, dented his own door, and bolted.
Strange people.
I parked at my home and did an inspection. Not a scratch on my bumper. A slight white mark of 1" on the body close to the bumper which was apparently his paint. I scraped it with a cloth and it was gone.
Crazy people all around.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 21:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Not sure if that's correct.
Its absolutely correct; have you filed an FIR? I did & my vehicle is not impounded nor the other guys vehicle is impounded. He was just arrested & released in a matter of few hours. If you haven't seen an FIR, I can scan a copy & put it over here on the FIR I've filed.

Quote:
In case an FIR is registered, both the vehicles are impounded whether or not someone has been injured.
Nope; impounding & verification are 2 different things; a vehicle is impounded incase of severe crash with people being killed, even then the red tapism plays a role where the RT inspector comes for verification

Quote:
Finally one of the cops told me to let go of the matter since registering an FIR would mean they would need to confiscate both vehicles
This is not same as impounding; what ideally needs to be done is, take both or the concerned party (means the one affected or giving the statement for FIR) to RT office for inspector's verification. Once the inspector verifies the FIR becomes strong & WILL be taken to court.

Quote:
because of pleadings from passengers of that bus who were of course behind my back cursing me for holding them up, but were cursing their driver more for driving rashly.
Shows you were kind enough; if I were you, their pleadings would've fallen into deaf ears.

Quote:
I can't stand someone bullying on the roads.
Quite natural & its same with everyone I guess.

Quote:
yells at me asking if I have taken up the responsibility of making everyone see traffic sense
Typical ladies; I've completely changed my attitude on road, so Wifey doesn't complain on me now

Last edited by aargee : 31st August 2010 at 21:07.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:27   #66
BHPian

@aargee - no mate, I am coming from what I was told by the cops. Thanks for enlightening me
Old 9th July 2012, 15:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

I was driving to Pondy on the NH 45 yesterday with my wife and son. I normally maintain ~85 KPH on the highway. After the Chengalpet toll booth and somewhere before the Palar bridge, I was hugging the outer lane because just before entering the bridge I will switch on the hazard lights and slow down to 40 KPH; else, the wheels will go bang bang bang on the protruding expansion joints of the bridge.

Much before the bridge and with me at 80 KPH, a brand new red i10 overtook me and then suddenly pulled over to the left side and stopped, all in a jiffy! God knows for what. I just managed to stop well in time without banging him and a Swift behind me did likewise. But there was no space for me to move to the right, his car was too close to me and mine to the Swift. Both of us angrily started blaring our horns and after a few minutes, the i10 moved forward a few feet and again stopped. By now I had smoke coming out of my ears.

Started my car and deliberately moved very close to the i10 and pulled up next to the driver's door. The swift started blaring his horn but I ignored him. Saw a young chap in his twenties in the drivers seat and his wife and kid next to him. He looked at me arrogantly as if to say "what is the big deal" and that did it. I deliberately moved closer and passed him with my left side el cheapo MGA ORVM knocking on his right side, expensive, internally adjustable one, to his utter consternation! His ORVM moved to its outer limit and stopped and mine fully folded inwards, but that was it. No damage to either one. I moved off and again drove at my usual speed, watching out for that fellow but he did not follow me.

At that moment I wanted to teach him a lesson but afterward when I had cooled off, I felt really bad for losing my cool despite spending donkey's years on the road! Hopefully he learned some better road manners.

Last edited by Gansan : 9th July 2012 at 15:41.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 17:44   #68
BHPian

The effect of events that happen before you begin your journey is unimaginable. I'm usually a non confrontational driver, the best you can get out of me is an angry glare or honk. However, after some very emotionally turbulent events, I was on my Bullet puttering along at 40 kmph on the left lane when an Indicab cut me off almost dumping me on to the footpath. The rage I experienced in the next few minutes scares the bejesus out of me even today.

Long story short, I overtook the guy, slowed down in front of him, made him stop, got off my bike and abused him verbally. Thank heavens it ended with that. Now I make sure I am balanced before I venture out.
Old 11th July 2012, 17:05   #69
BHPian

It happens many times when you expect people to follow rules, they don't (We forget that some times even we don't). We get angry and some times we make a move & get the other vehicle stopped on road & get down for a healthy communication

Just one question which my father asked me when he witnessed such an event with me,

where we were going on a empty single road (One lane for each direction), after some time we saw a car moving slowly and was not at all in a hurry to do anything but play with the girl sitting beside him, and the tints were very light so it was visible & I was getting frustrated (Not because I could not do what he was doing) as I wanted to move on & he was not allowing to overtake.
So somewhere I got a chance after 1.5 hours and then I made him stop and got out of car almost ready to beat him.

The moment I reached his window & was about to open his door, he was saying sorry with his hands joined and face as miserable as he cold make. I gave up started my car

& then just one question from my father which is answer less till date

"WHAT IF HE WOULD NOT SAID SORRY AND WOULD HAVE COME OUT TO FIGHT"
  1. You could have given up and said sorry so loosing your confidence
  2. You could have had a fight which ultimately leads to a police complaint (As we are no more young kids how stop at some point)
  3. Or he could have over run you in fight and you would have had many hits till he stops
In all cases I was at loss, (Even case 2 as that would have ruined my life)

So I was only lucky that he said sorry and he opted for option 1

So I prefer to keep my windows closed and let my anger blow in a closed car.

Last edited by Modifiedsachin : 11th July 2012 at 17:08.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
..... Hopefully he learned some better road manners.
No he did not. He would have realized his mistake when you gave him the stare the first type If he was the learning type. IMO we should not get into teacher mode while driving as you do not know who would be in the student's seat. I have seen many arrogant and bully drivers getting physical (even using their cars) and making the situation even uglier.

Having said that I myself cant restrain myself from becoming a teacher.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 15:23   #71
BHPian

I try to be calm on the road but it gets difficult. This morning decided to take the Aarey road, which is tolled, at the toll gate there are 2 lanes (no lane dividers). I choose the right one and make sure I have left enough space for the Qualis behind me to take the left. The Qualis fits in and is now right next to me. I then dig into my pocket to keep the money ready, and the vehicle ahead of me moves further. Now this Qualis guy tries to squeeze into my lane. I was done with taking my wallet out by then. I lost my cool, and made sure I honked and that he could not get into my lane.
The road after the toll is a single lane on both sides road. The Qualis was behind me all along.
While I realize I gained NOTHING other than loosing my cool, I don't think the Qualis guy realized he lost nothing and should just stick to his lane in future.

OT: While we have a confessions thread I think we should also have a 'Pat on the back' or appreciation thread, to share incidents when we kept our cool or infact went out of the way to give someone else some space. Or if someone was kind enough to follow traffic rules and allow us through in midst of traffic.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Confession of a frustrated pedestrian

I'm sorry Mr./Ms. Mercedes C-Class owner.

I was crossing the road at Kemps Corner on the zebra lines when my the signal for the pedestrian was green after looking in both directions (obviously because this is India). Suddenly this C-class grey Merc (waiting on the signal coming from Altamount Rd) comes almost 2 inches away from my knee and brakes hard. He wasn't in motion earlier but probably anticipated his signal to turn green and got excited. I was on the verge of just being hit by his bumper and was quite shaken up at that time. Frustrated I walked a little ahead and as he began moving more and more ahead gave a back (donkey style) kick to his front fender and walked away (no damages though). I was in no mood for a verbal argument and just wanted to show him my frustration some how as I couldn't peep into his tinted glasses.

Later I realised that I shouldn't have done it and it was all in a fit of rage. So if you are on this forum sir/ madam, I am really ashamed of my actions and wish to apologize for the same.

Last edited by S2!!! : 15th July 2012 at 00:08.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 07:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
No he did not. He would have realized his mistake when you gave him the stare the first type If he was the learning type. IMO we should not get into teacher mode while driving as you do not know who would be in the student's seat. I have seen many arrogant and bully drivers getting physical (even using their cars) and making the situation even uglier.

Having said that I myself cant restrain myself from becoming a teacher.
Ha ha, but I think he probably did! He looked the kind who will not mind personal injury, but will shed tears for his car!

At that instant I was overwhelmed by a desire to intimidate and take the arrogance off his face, for which I later kicked myself. Hence the confession here.
Old 18th August 2012, 23:26   #74
BHPian

I am shocked by my behavior as I usually let the idiots pass but today was not a good driving day I suppose.

This crane is blocking an entire lane after you get down from the Munirka flyover towards the road going to Nehru Place. Vehicles automatically start drifting to the right. I look into the mirror, there is a swift far in the distance so I give a right indicator and change lanes to make way for the traffic which is all swirling towards the right. I was doing 30 kms per hour and he was at a distance of a good 200 mtrs.

He starts honking like crazy and I oblige him by giving way as soon as I can and while the driver did not even look at me, this crazy 18-19 year old looks at me and shows me his middle finger.

I am shocked by his behavior and I downshift and over take him from the right and once I am just a little ahead of him, I roll down my windows and let my finger do the talking.

He is an idiot but I could have used my brains a little more. Later on when traffic had us together he looked at me sheepishly while I gave him a hard stare. I guess he had nothing more to say. A few minutes later I thought of what I had done by letting his negativity and childish behavior affect me.

It seems stupid now. Really stupid.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 18th August 2012 at 23:27. Reason: typo!
Old 19th August 2012, 08:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

I was trailing my friend's car in my Punto. My friend's car was being driven by his younger brother who has just got his learning license. Needless to say, 'L' board were stuck on the front and rear windshield of his car. We were moving at a snail's pace, not exceeding 50 kmph even on the highways. I kept a safe distance behind his car and chose to follow him.

At Mira road, we encountered a traffic snarl and because of that the vehicles were slow moving. Suddenly, the 5 lane road became a 7 lane one! Being a learner, we cannot expect this poor guy to zip across in traffic, so we stuck to the left most lane to avoid inconvenience to others.

Still, this Innova guy comes, overtakes me and fills the gap I have maintained between my car and my friend's car and starts honking. The poor chap has nowhere to go since he is already on the left most lane. Clearly, the Innova guy is getting frustrated now and when he gets a chance, he quickly overtakes this guy from the right and violently cuts him across while doing that. It was very clearly done on purpose. The poor learner gets scared and almost go off the road.

My blood boils because -
1) This guy is learning
2) He has 'L' boards on his car right on top of the rear glass
3) He is in the left most lane
4) It's not that he was stalling his car or holding up traffic. He was just crawling slower than the others.

I quickly overtake the Innova guy and start crawling in front of him, making sure I do not give him space to overtake... even managed to show him the middle finger. After a while, when he stopped attempting to overtake me and when the traffic halted for a signal, I got down from my car and went to this Innova guy to calmly explain to him that what he did back there was wrong, the learner could have lost control over his car. But instead of listening to me, he started abusing me and threatening to hit me... That was when I lost my cool and then started the use of expletives between us which basically had no outcome rather than just increasing our blood pressure.

After this incident, I thought to myself that I should have just let the egoistic moron be and not ruin my day with such idiots.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks