Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 19:28   #136
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Narrating this funny incident to show how a compliment can also be used as a so-called abuse!!

Happened to me while I was driving back from office from Global Village on Mysore Road (Bangalore) to my home in RR Nagar via a back road which is narrow but relatively traffic-free.

As I turned the last corner just before a straight road, a biker from the opposite side didn't want to slow down and tried to slip through the narrow gap between my driver side door and the edge of the road. In the process, his right handle tip scraped my right ORVM. Neither of us were speeding though. I thought it to be a trivial thing and drove on without stopping as a couple of cars were behind me as well.

After almost a km or so, (this biker was apparently tailing me), he overtook me and stopped in front of my car forcing me to stop as well. As I rolled down my windows, he came menacingly towards me. I didn't get out of the car and asked him what happened. He shouted that my car injured his right hand's little finger. He showed me his finger and I pointed out that there is no visible damage to it. I even offered to take him to the doctor if he wanted it. At that, his face grew all contorted and just as sub consciously I was expecting that he's going to blurt out some cuss word or expletive, all he said was "hmmm! Educated!!!" in the same tone as we use when we swear expletives at someone! Then he got on his bike and was on his way.

I was ready to argue, but was at a loss of words as what he said was not offensive in any way, only the tone was such!!

Came home and narrated the incident to wifey and we both were in splits. Looks like the biker couldn't come around to actually swear seeing me in all my suited and booted office attire.
Old 5th February 2013, 19:47   #137
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ Deep meaning!
In today's India, the "educated" folks who want to follow rules, really seem to be on the receiving end. Just yesterday saw a line on FB "Those who don't study start a company and those who study end up working in that company".

So "educated" indeed is an expletive.

Last edited by SDP : 5th February 2013 at 20:07.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:24   #138
BHPian

I would like to share an incidence that happened last year at the Khadki chowk in Pune.
I was on my way to office at 9 in the morning and at the traffic signal I stopped my car at the right most lane and left only a small distance between the concrete road divider and my car. However this would not deter a biker on his Splendor.

Even in that non existent space he was trying to squeeze his bike through. When he came upto my right side he could not wriggle any further as he would hit my side view mirror if he continued in the same fashion.

What happened next was inexplicable. He stopped his bike and with his left hand casually closed my car's driver side view mirror. He then zipped off without any care in the world. This left me fuming inside and I wanted to really catch this guy. However the Pune traffic left me resigned to my fate. I don't wish any harm to that chap and hope he remains safe on the road. However I do wish for a scenario where drivers and riders respect other's property.
Derezzed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 07:35   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
He stopped his bike and with his left hand casually closed my car's driver side view mirror. He then zipped off without any care in the world. This left me fuming inside and I wanted to really catch this guy.
This has happened to me too! Except it was my left ORVM (worse) and an autorickshaw. I had to roll down my window, lean across (remove seat belt first!) and fix it. It, of course, being the left ORVM, meant I had to adjust it twice. All at a traffic light with people honking!
Old 6th February 2013, 11:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday on my way home from work, I was on the middle lane heading straight, when a Polo joined the road from the left, and was moving to take a U turn. He was driving perpendicular to moving traffic. I was doing about 40 on my bike, and was about to give him the choicest of words that I know. But then I noticed he had two kids in his car. So I avoided compiling the expetive list.

But he cut me off so close that I extended my hand and hit his boot door as a reaction. The guy was so confused, he could not understand if some vehicle hit his car. I didnt intend to educate him on driving habits, but just had some cheap thrill I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
So "educated" indeed is an expletive.
Saar, people who study are only literate. Education is not related to academics only.
PS - I am also in literate working class category and keep wondering how other folks who were so pathetic at studies earn so much. But then I guess they were educated in how to make money. what we learnt is something else.
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 17:25   #141
BHPian

As I was coming to the office today, was on the Airport Road on the right most lane. An elderly person in a Santro tried to squeeze in between my car and the one in front. I honked. But he did not budge. He was driving as though he did not care about anybody. I almost hit the median. Then I overtook him from the left and cut him across.to have him hit the median. But then he swerved left. I know what I did was bad and not a part of good driving. He was well dressed and had the sticker "Keep Distance as I work with Fevicol' on the rear windshield.
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:00   #142
BHPian

This is not really a confession but a story of getting victimized. Happened earlier today near the Maharaja Hotel signal in Koramangala (Bangalore).

The signal was red and I was in the front row. Just when the pedestrian signal turned GREEN, remember: pedestrian, the douchebag auto driver behind me started honking and yelling the typical human howl that has become a norm here these days (HOYYYYYYY!!!!). I didn't budge and I can't break the signal for this maniac.

And then the signal turned GREEN for me to start. And so I did.

Although it's a double lane road, the left lane was blocked with an auto parallel parked right ahead. Looked at the right ORVM and a check over the right shoulder, signaled, turned right into the fast lane and reached the next signal (Krmla Sony World signal) only to see 186seconds of wait time. That was about enough time to ring up a friend and tell him that I'm on the way.

JUST THEN, I hear a loud bang on my driver side window. The same autodriver who was behind. He first peeped into the car to see who was driving and probably when he was sure that I'm not someone from around here, he starts the typical uncouth behaviour of yelling and howling and continuing to bang my window. I lowered the window as IGNORANCE was not a way out in this case as the signal was red, and more importantly he was about to shatter that window. I asked him in "hindi" what the problem was? He instantly blamed me that I turned RIGHT to block his way. I could understand the words coming out of his mouth but I just could not respond in his language.

I told him there was no need to argue and there was no damage but the fellow just seemed to be drawing immense pleasure from arguing with me in public making a total scene for the other vehicles who are also stuck in the traffic. He then pulls up "their" typical get-away method. Attract other auto drivers by yapping something to them.

There were about 5 auto drivers who gathered towards my car and they all start blabbing from which I understood that now they are accusing me of using the mobile phone while driving because of which I turned right carelessly and endangered the life of the autodriver and his DUBBA. I felt there was no point arguing any more because this fellow has concocted a tale to those people as though he was born to angels and knew to speak nothing but the truth simply because of the language advantage.

I did not apologize and I did not know what to do, although if given a chance just ONE on ONE I could and would have taken him out in one blow and shut his trap. And I wanted to. I had to control myself and I must admit I was embarrassed for no mistake of mine.

All this drama at a very crowded junction at 7.45pm during 186 seconds. He continued to foul mouth me until the signal turned green and I ripped past him in boiling anger.

I am deeply disturbed for I feel like I was cornered for no fault of mine. And I was helpless. Life be damned while he rides his way to his grave "hopefully soon" with his sheet metal possession!

Last edited by mempheS.D : 3rd March 2013 at 02:01.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:00   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I told him there was no need to argue and there was no damage but the fellow just seemed to be drawing immense pleasure from arguing with me in public making a total scene for the other vehicles who are also stuck in the traffic. He then pulls up "their" typical get-away method. Attract other auto drivers by yapping something to them.

I am deeply disturbed for I feel like I was cornered for no fault of mine. And I was helpless. Life be damned while he rides his way to his grave "hopefully soon" with his sheet metal possession!
Welcome to typical India. The best thing to do in such cases is to forget. This uncouth mob mentality is typical among the uneducated lower classes, slum-dwellers, government servants, and politicians. There's nothing the common man can do but grin and bear it.

I suppose you should be thankful that you were not injured, your car did not get damaged, and that the situation did not escalate further. And trust me, depending on the areas you visit, this may become an everyday occurrence. Just last week a woman yelled at me because my car drove over a piece of wood on the road and the sound frightened her. I mean, really?
RM2488 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 09:04   #144
BHPian

This isn't really a confession but more of a narration.

Last weekend when I was cycling and heading back to my apartment, a guy in an Ikon took a fast, sharp and abrupt turn into his apartment gate without any warning forcing me to brake sharply. Don't know why but I immediately stretched out and banged his boot with my right fist.
Probably thinking he hit me, this guy stops and lowers driver side window. I gave him a good piece of my mind for a minute (without expletives), stressing on the fact that just because I was on a cycle doesn't mean he would cut me across (and I wear reflector shoes, jersey, helmet so you possibly can't miss seeing me).
There were people around and this guy at least was ashamed of what he had done.

My take - even when enraged, count till 10, don't raise your voice, don't use expletives but get the message across in a stern voice if you have to. Easier said than done but worth a try.

Last edited by nitin.rai : 3rd March 2013 at 09:05.
nitin.rai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 10:02   #145
Senior - BHPian

If we express our opinions in a firm manner, without getting aggressive, raising our voice or using bad words, its very likely that the reciepient will listen to us, and agree to his/her mistake.
Since we are shocked, angry, startled, we naturally raise our voice, use cuss words and rave and rant, which causes the other side to get defensive and behave aggressively.

Yes if the other party is getting aggressive, uses bad words or physical voilence, then we must raise our hand to defend ourselves, no questions asked.

90% of the times a situation can be handled to our benifit simply by being civil and expressing our opinion. Its our habit to jump to conclusions about the nature and character of the other person, even before rolling down our windows, which lead to escalations and road rage.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:42   #146
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If we express our opinions in a firm manner, without getting aggressive, raising our voice or using bad words, its very likely that the reciepient will listen to us, and agree to his/her mistake.
S................person, even before rolling down our windows, which lead to escalations and road rage.
Isn't that the case with most of the Real Life Situations when we get agitated?
Maybe this is slightly Off Topic, and I am not trying to be a preacher, I have been very short tempered for larger part of my life. However, I realized that when you objectively analyze the situation say only after 5-10 minutes of the occurrence, you wonder that it could have been easily handled in a very civilized manner, maybe by being Firm at times.

I try to give the Benefit of Doubt to the other motorist on the road quite a few times, and It has really helped me to keep cool
But then there are situations that otherwise ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
My take - even when enraged, count till 10, don't raise your voice, don't use expletives but get the message across in a stern voice if you have to. Easier said than done but worth a try.
It Works !! Well ... most of the times

Last edited by NMS : 4th March 2013 at 18:50.
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 18:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Isn't that the case with most of the Real Life Situations when we get agitated?
Maybe this is slightly Off Topic, and I am not trying to be a preacher, I have been very short tempered for larger part of my life. However, I realized that when you objectively analyze the situation say only after 5-10 minutes of the occurrence, you wonder that it could have been easily handled in a very civilized manner, maybe by being Firm at times.

I try to give the Benefit of Doubt to the other motorist on the road quite a few times, and It has really helped me to keep cool
But then there are situations that otherwise ......
In today's India, roadrage is very present, dangerous and a big killer. You never know when the other guy will flash out a gun and shoot you. Thats why its even more important today to analyse all events first with a calm cool collected sense for the first 2-3 mins. This also allows our residual anger to settle before we decide to vent it out.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 19:06   #148
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
In today's India, roadrage is very present, dangerous and a big killer. You never know when the other guy will flash out a gun and shoot you. Thats why its even more important today to analyse all events first with a calm cool collected sense for the first 2-3 mins. This also allows our residual anger to settle before we decide to vent it out.

I agree with you a 100% on that. Even in cities like Pune, you cant be sure of what the other person is capable of. You never know who is going to Flash a Gun !! And both parties being angry, makes matters worse.
Road Rage makes one do things that a person would never do in a sane mind. And this thread is very much an evidence to it.
Thats why I try to avoid any altercations on the Road, unless severly provoked.

On a lighter note !! I was wondering what it would be like to keep a Lighter in my Glove Box which looks like a GUN (just haven't tried it, because of the fear of being shown a real one from the other end !!)
Old 6th March 2013, 17:26   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
This is not really a confession but a story of getting victimized. Happened earlier today near the Maharaja Hotel signal in Koramangala (Bangalore).

Bro, i completely sympathize and agree with you on this. Its now very common with folks here in Banagalore. If you are not a local (kannada speaking), be sure to be taken for a ride. It wasn't like that earlier though.
I am seriously contemplating learning Kannada.
It's good to learn a new lanaguage but never expected this would be the reason. There have been umpteen incidents i have witnessed where a minor scuffle became aggressive purely because both parties couldn't understand each other's language. ON the contrary, if you know/speak kannada, you are shielded from those labour class maniacs who try to screw your happiness for no fault of yours.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 6th March 2013 at 17:32.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 01:52   #150
BHPian

Driving in NCR without losing temper is the last step towards attaining nirvana. I have been trying not to loose my cool for a long time but today, I could have exercised better control. While things didn't get ugly but I certainly could have chosen to ignore instead of reacting.

I was returning from office at around 10.15 PM. I was coming from one of the inner lanes and was about to join the main sector road. This road divides Indirapuram from Vaishali and runs parallel to the Hindon Canal. The traffic after the dark is usually less on this road. The main road has speed breakers on either side of the intersection as there's a school at the turn. Like always, I slowed down (to about 15-20 KMPH) and saw there was no traffic coming from right so, moved ahead to take the turn. When I was close to the median, a car was approaching the intersection from left. This fellow didn't want me to join the road in front of his car so, started honking without any break. I maintained my calm and stopped at the median and let him pass. He goes ahead stares back, utters some words and makes a gesture with his hands. I really lost it at that point. I let him go ahead for some distance and then speed up and overtake him from left. After passing him I slowed down (probably adrenaline had taken over) however, that guy slowed down even more. He was trying to stay away. I realised there's no point in confronting him because he seemed scared so, I moved on.

This sort of staring, waving and gesturing is very common on NCR roads. I usually maintain my calm but today his stare just got to me.

Last edited by Biraj : 8th August 2013 at 01:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks