Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 11:36   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Driving in NCR without losing temper is the last step towards attaining nirvana.
Having lived & drove in Delhi and NCR, agree with you. Was hilariously put by you anyway!

I think you are right in saying that you should have shown more restraint but we often get carried away in the heat of the moment. Thankfully, there was not confrontation, else an ugly scene could have been hard to avoid.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 15:07   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving in NCR without losing temper is the last step towards attaining nirvana.
Well, I prefer to avoid eye contact with my fellow road users. That way, I don't get to see their stares and gestures. It has kind of worked for me so far as I am sort of a defensive driver anyway. Maintain moderate speeds and exercise enough caution and these morons will fly past you.

But good that you realized and let it go. These things are just not worth your time.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:03   #153
BHPian

I once chased a small boy on a scooty, because he uttered nonsense that too while trying to cross me over from the wrong side of the road, within the Indirapuram labyrinth. He could have been run-over. He seemed scared when I was just a couple of feet behind him. I started feeling bad soon-after.

Once I lost it and I swore and used the typical words on an increamwallah, who just wouldn't give way. I felt bad later, because my wife and kid and my wife's friend and her kid were also present in the car. I somehow was oblivious to their presence.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:55   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Having lived & drove in Delhi and NCR, agree with you.
The traffic in Delhi is still better than many other cities that I have driven in. The problem is with attitude that many drivers have. They drive with absolute disdain towards rules and others around them. I usually try to ignore such morons however, at times it's very difficult to ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, I prefer to avoid eye contact with my fellow road users.
I agree and even I practice the same however, it's really difficult to avoid some rubber-necked man staring back at you from his window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Once I lost it and I swore and used the typical words on an increamwallah,
Freudian slip? I have been in similar situation and the worse part was that my parents were in the car. It's one of those moments when instincts take over.
Old 19th August 2013, 21:38   #155
BHPian

Soon after my family moved to New Delhi from Mumbai and my return after graduation to India I got a taste of Delhi's Angry young men.

It was around 10:30 PM, returning home from CP . Was in the extreme right lane, trailing a slow moving Auto-Rickshaw. I flashed lights, honked but this guy refused to give way. To my left was one of the low floor DTC bus so i had no chance of overtaking from left(Since i slowed down,the bus gained speed).

The bus overtakes the Auto, then i change lanes overtaking the Auto from left side and while passing i just looked at the Auto driver and nodded my head. I am approaching a junction and in the RVM i see the Auto tailgating me ,honking and then it tries to overtake me. I let him go ahead ( It was yellow ,i thought he did not wanted to delay his journey hence the rush).

Next Moment : My face is like

When they are passing me i notice that the Passenger is half out ,trying to slap the driver side door asking me to stop the car. I stopped right in middle of the road(Thinking whatever next happens i want other drivers to notice it and expecting someone to stop) I stop, they block my way run towards me and ask me to roll down the window. I roll down the window only till the point which is sufficient for me to talk to them. The passenger tells me you not going home today alive holding some broken Desi Daru bottle in his hand.Shouting at me to get down and he keeps swearing.

I was so scared, red faced, my hands and legs shivering .Don't know what to do i stay seated in the car begging them to let me go.I was so sure if they get any access to me I AM DEAD.

Within 5 Mins ,people crowded the place but no one willing to interfere.
Soon after a Honda city stopped and 2 Men rushed to me.I roll down the window further to talk to the Honda driver. Meanwhile, Auto driver tries to take out the car keys putting his hand through the window. Within seconds a Innova stops followed by a Xylo. These 2 drunk idiots started fighting with all those people who interfered. I was still seated in the car,windows rolled up.

The Innova driver asked me what happened,and i told him the entire incident. He asks me where do i stay, i told him just 10 mins away. He assures me that they will hold these guys here for 10 mins, you go home safely.

I was off the scene in a flash. Reached home safely. Told my parents how much i love them. Then, narrated the incident and i was banned by my parents from driving after 9 PM in Delhi/NCR. Since then I avoid eye contacts, or even honking to any other vehicle.

I consider myself lucky to be alive.The incident till date sends shivers down my spine whenever i narrate it.

Found this thread today,wanted to share.

-Rishi

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th August 2013 at 21:53. Reason: Spelling mistake
sinharishi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:11   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Well what I have learn over the years is that there is really no point in trying to claim the moral high ground when it comes to driving on the roads. No point in trying to prove that the other person is at fault. These morons will never learn and will continue to drive the way they do. And a few short tempered jobless among them would not hesitate in making your life hell at the slightest provocation. Hence I always remember my Dad's teaching: "While driving assume that every one around you on the road is an Idiot, no matter what vehicle they are driving or are pedestrians. And it is your responsibility to ensure that you don't hit any one of them including the ones behind you." Till date it has really helped me.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:16   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I was so scared, red faced, my hands and legs shivering .Don't know what to do i stay seated in the car begging them to let me go.I was so sure if they get any access to me I AM DEAD.

Within 5 Mins ,people crowded the place but no one willing to interfere.
That's one scary situation especially when it happens near Ghaziabad. Good that you didn't step out. In situations like these, it's always better to stop at a police check-post/station. I understand they blocked you but you were in a faster and more capable vehicle than them. When it's about personal safety, just forget the rules/signals and save yourself.

On a lighter note - you might want to get UP-14 registration for your car and also put the ruling party's flag on the hood. First step will reduce aggression slightly and the second will allow you avoid aggression from fellow users of the road as well as traffic police.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:29   #158
BHPian

Quote:
That's one scary situation especially when it happens near Ghaziabad. Good that you didn't step out. In situations like these, it's always better to stop at a police check-post/station. I understand they blocked you but you were in a faster and more capable vehicle than them. When it's about personal safety, just forget the rules/signals and save yourself.

On a lighter note - you might want to get UP-14 registration for your car and also put the ruling party's flag on the hood. First step will reduce aggression slightly and the second will allow you avoid aggression from fellow users of the road as well as traffic police.
Oops. I forgot to mention, Biraj it was in West Delhi(Between Janakpuri and Uttam Nagar metro station). Since i was new to the place i had no idea about the location of nearest police station or a regular place for a PCR van. Moved to Indirapuram 3 months back.

Truly said.The only way to play safe here is to be associated with some influential people and then you get the license to rule the streets of Delhi/NCR.
Old 21st August 2013, 00:19   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Soon after my family moved to New Delhi from Mumbai and my return after graduation to India I got a taste of Delhi's Angry young men.

Found this thread today,wanted to share.

-Rishi
I have been in similar situations 2-3 times and while there was noone holding a knife, I've been pretty close to getting into fist-fights.

I think we all have the ability to go crazy for 5 minutes and then when we reflect we feel rather stupid about why we had to engage with an idiot in the first place.

It was happening way too frequently for me. It then dawned upon me that I encounter these people 3-4 times daily and it is not worth to spend my energy on them. I've started refraining from confrontations specially when the person majorly affects my mood. I swear but with no eye contact(looking in the opposite direction) and windows closed which lets off some steam and I can go on driving.

But there's a flip-side to sanity. Some may interpret it as cowardice and will only get bolder minus a reaction. They may go to the extent of getting violent unless they fear that you're not backing away.

I do not know how to put it into words to explain how we should profile other car drivers but sometimes a reaction is necessary to make people back off.

Once a bearded 19-20 year old showed me his finger for no fault of mine and aggressive words. I chased him down and opened my Delhi street dictionary much to his displeasure. He scooted away.

Something as simple as an act of dialing 100 will scare the pretenders. Other times you got to hit the pedal and disappear into a street and venture out into the main road again so as to leave behind the goons.

The point that I'm trying to make is that avoid confrontation at all costs but when the silence is taken as a weakness and makes the other person bolder, a reaction will make them back off.

Really comes down to your judgement of the other party. Silence is golden but sometimes taking control is beneficial too.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 00:44   #160
Senior - BHPian

The entire page is dedicated to Delhiites and those in the NCR! Rightly said, its real hard to drive in here without getting annoyed and boiled up!

I was in Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar-4 turning left when the car in front of me took its sweet time to move ahead, the aged gentleman was looking sideways for some address and I was getting all worked up. When he moved ahead, a cycle Rickshaw tried to sneak in the small space eventually blocking my way.

Not in the best of my mind, I decided to act headstrong and eventually ended up with small scratches on the bumper. To me, my ride is a prized possession and a better-half sans any human features and I've always been particular about not ending up damaging her. Post this, I felt so guilty all through my way back home and frustrated too.

The icing on the cake were another two cars which blocked my way again on a narrow congested road, capable of handling only one-sided traffic movement. The Swift came from the front, driven by an Aged Lady. Had no option but to reverse and allow her to move since she wouldn't reverse. To add to this case was a Civic driven by a Close-brained young lady with her small kid, must have 20 meters ahead at other end of the road and I well within half-way mark of the road, giving her constant signal using 'Dippers' not to move ahead. This lady had the audacity to come all the way along and asking me to move back (reverse again) and I decided nothing doing, I'm stopping my car here. Then a passerby asks me to reverse and tells me, "Veerji, kehdo ik vaari 'Jai Mata Di' te kar lo picche" - By Mata, he meant let the Lady Driver pass. All this while this lady started using her phone and driving, this was totally height of insanity. First you block someone's path whose been asking for space and then you're happily engaged in your cellphone than being proactively involved in clearing the mess up.

Landed up home frustrated, got hold of my Detailing kit and removed the scratches just only to repent of how my behaviour ended up creating a scar on the cherished beauty.
Old 21st August 2013, 01:00   #161
BHPian

Dont know where to post this..but this thread seems right.
Me and my wife was returning home from a wedding reception at around 11pm on monday and a few kms away from home a rashly driven omni bumped my car from the side and caused a dent on the right rear wheel arch.
I stopped the car and stepped out to see the damage and then the arguement started with the van driver who was quite obviously drunk. I just took his car number and name from the RC and was about to proceed, when a group of rough looking men who were drinking nearby came up. Fortunately there were 3-4 guys from that group that knew me well and wonders of wonders..my regular honda service adviser was among the group ! ( It was his offday and he was enjoying like the "good old days") . Although little drunk , he pushed and thumped and almost repaired the dent in my car right on the spot.
Then things started to get ugly for the van driver.He was too drunk to control his bravado and ended up being slapped and punched. Finally they did let him go.
I didnt feel good about the whole thing although being unexpectedly surrounded by friends in an adverse situation felt warm. The SA appearing there really takes the cake..talk of after sales service ! :-)
pyrodrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 10:33   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Dont know where to post this..but this thread seems right.
Me and my wife was returning home from a wedding reception at around 11pm on monday
Pyrodrive: Good that it ended well, but seriously I would advice that avoid getting into a scuffle when travelling with your family, that too alone and at such late hours. At times, we have to let go these creatures despite their wrong-doings for which we may have to suffer some monetary loss but as you know, its nothing compared to your & your loved ones safety.
Just an advice.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 11:01   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Me and my wife was returning home from a wedding reception at around 11pm...I stopped the car and stepped out to see the damage and then the arguement started with the van driver who was quite obviously drunk.
Man, this story ended well by pure, pure luck. As someone who has done more than his share of 'getting out of the car to argue', may I advise you to please reflect and realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...but seriously I would advice that avoid getting into a scuffle when travelling with your family, that too alone and at such late hours.
+1000 times agree with that! NEVER get out of your car late at night. That too when there's a lady in the car. If possible, take down the license number of the offending vehicle, but NEVER stop and get down.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 11:42   #164
BHPian

I agree with the above posts..I would never have stepped out if it were any other area.
There was a time when we used to hang out in this area ourselves and, well, time has passed and we have moved on in life but if you grow up in a particular neighbourhood and had your share of street experiences, sometimes old habits are hard to forget. I admit my mistakes though.

Best thing to do in case of any damage to your car/ intimidation or threats
is to just note the car number and drive to the nearest P.S and write a report and particularly mention the threats recieved.
A colleague of mine recently had a minor accident late at night. The other car was a bolero with 4-5 youngsters who promptly cut him off, threatened him and finally he had to pay them whatever cash he had with him( about 4k). After the incident, he drove straight to the police station and wrote a FIR particularly mentioning the words " intimidation, threatening and extortion of money".
Next day the cops tracked the vehicle and called the owner to the station.They also called my colleague. The car was found to belong to the son of a respectable person and this person was very keen to avoid a case and scandal and literally pleaded with my colleague to withdraw the allegation. Finally they settled the issue out of courts and my friend got his money back along with ample compensation.
yes, the police generally need some bit of dough to get active, but its worth the money.
Lessons learnt-
- Never go into an altercation.Drive away.
-Damage to car is ok, as long as you can leave with your dignity intact.
-Use the law in your favour.
-Use the insurance for what its meant for.
pyrodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 21:55   #165
BHPian

Today I was in the Sector 29 Parking Lot(Gurgaon) which for no real use has been turned into a free parking. This has really turned it into a mess because free parking is for sensible drivers. I was getting out of the lot, but was stuck and shocked. I regulated the traffic, did my bit. Since the TBhp sticker is on my car, I do that a lot. And people thank too! This driver parked the car in the middle of the traffic, and only 1 car could get out at a time leading to a jam:-

Me: "Is this your car sir?"
He: "Haan, to?"
Me: "Take it to a side please"
He: "You ******, Drive your own car. Do not argue *****. Kid, go away **"[I am 18 and I have a licence too, I told him this]

I was raged, and I got out of the car almost to hit him because of this, but thanks to my little sister who was right next to me and stopped me showing the TBhp sticker on my rear windscreen, thanks to this community!
Although, I never argued for myself, I was easily getting out of the lot, but for 100 others who would be stuck because of this moron!
But, some people just test your patience, dont they? :(
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks