Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 22:40   #256
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thank god you are not one of those here who would brag about how they gave the other party a piece of their mind, beat him up and how they yelled and shouted in the middle of the roads and how their over-infalated ego got soothed by narrating(no, confessing) the incident to Team-BHPIans.

Your reaction was wonderful and i hope everyone who reads this takes this as a lesson, in dealing with typical situations which trigger anger and road rage.
Thank you Sir!

But I must confess, I was also a hot head driver when I started to drive! Now when I look back at all those years, I feel ashamed of my behavior back then...
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 08:01   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
... I rolled down my window intending to yell back, but somehow, the words that came out of my mouth were "Anna! Inge anna panre? Paathittu romba naalu aayidichu! Saukyama? Veetil ellarum saukyama?" (Brother! What are you doing here! Been a long time since I saw you! How are you? Is everyone at home doing good?) To this the guy stopped yelling, gave me a salute and drove away! I had a hearty laugh at the incident and moved ahead with my life
There are some experiences that you just read; some that you appreciate by hitting the "thanks". But some like this deserve a reply. To yell back is human, but to roll down the window, smile back and say something nice, it's more than human. Appreciate it bro
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 08:48   #258
BHPian

Thank you Sir! 

But I must confess, I was also a hot head driver when I started to drive! Now when I look back at all those years, I feel ashamed of my behavior back then...

Don't worry about that. All of us learn to walk around only by falling.
However what was really nice about it was that you spoke back in tamil and not kannada hope you were aware that local dialect helps. Me too back in initial days was extremely irritated but toned down a lot now literally to point of silence.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 09:40   #259
BANNED

Quote:
And question is only applicable for you only if you have travelled to other countries (preferably Europe/US/China).

Had you been in similar situation which provoked you to Road rage, but in the other country - had your reaction been the same?
Like the food for thought here! If I can comment. It is just my opinion.

In India we are king's of the road but in foreign land we turn into polite and sane humans- A complete change. There is a sense of respect, a location stamp on the head - "they are from India!". To preserve out heritage, cultures we do behave sensibly.

But to think of it, there wouldn't be such a long thread if we were in foreign lands. Thanks to their natural discipline, road sense, driving, rules & regulations being strict + costly so does happen that drivers do fall in line automatically.

Penalties be in terms of money (too costly fine for locals to afford) or points on driving licence makes life even better for all. No one would either want a fine or a point on their licence.

I am NOT saying that there is no road rage in foreign land, it is seen but very less as compared to our country. We need to get the rules understood, followed and monitored.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th May 2015 at 09:44.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:46   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A question to those who confess to "Road rage" on Indian roads.
And question is only applicable for you only if you have travelled to other countries (preferably Europe/US/China).

Had you been in similar situation which provoked you to Road rage, but in the other country - had your reaction been the same?

Food for thought.
Drove in the US (including Boston) for around 35Kkm, and also driven a lot in other countries as well (designated driver for family ), however have never been provoked anywhere!
Yes, I have seen two incidents of road rage in the course of the last 6 years but that is about it. Both the people and the cops are helpful and reactive and that makes a big difference! It is simple - lane discipline, indicators, no honking, and even in peak traffic - no complaints!
In comparison, I lose my cool daily here!

Main difference being ego and discipline. Bring in stricter policing and watch these incidents die down.

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th May 2015 at 13:48.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 09:11   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

But it is not all black and white. Recently after a biker was beaten to death in Delhi, there was a campaign on the radio against road rage. But what people forget is that most of the time these bikers/taxis/buses/school cabs etc do not show even the basic level of driving etiquette. I don't care if they do not treat their rides as special. But I do. And you have no right to damage it willfully and then be on your way without any remorse. These morons will tail gate you, cut lanes, muscle up their rides against yours, bikers will not care for your ORVMs etc. And then when they damage your ride as a result of all this carelessness, one is bound to get frustrated and angry. Yes death is too harsh a punishment. But there ought to be some punishment. Taking the legal course is ofcourse not an option. So where does all this leave me? How many times can I afford to just smile and pretend that all is well and move on thanking that moron for the latest dent, broken mirror or paint scrap?

Sorry for the rant but a minivan driver just knocked off the ORVM of my perfectly parked Sunny. The road is wide enough for 2 buses to cross each other. But this moron was just not bothered to ensure he doesn't damage other people's property. I took his RC and told him to get a new mirror or the money for it and collect his RC back.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th May 2015 at 09:16.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:00   #262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

So I knew I was going to make it someday here. Driving back peacefully from e-square, university road after watching tanu weds manu returns somewhere around bavdhan a moron in a white Ciaz (MH12LP7706) cuts me real bad twice. The first time I let it go as I was with mom and dad and it was during the traffic. So things do go wrong wherein people have to change lanes suddenly. While climbing towards chandni chowk this person cuts me again. I lost my cool I chased him towards chandni chowk and stopped infront of his car just before the slope starts. I got down to tell this fellow his mistake. He didn't bother even rolling his windows down and apologise. I got back into my car and left, he overtakes me and shows a middle finger. That was it I lost my cool totally and chased him up till a building in right bhusari colony. I stay close by too so there was no deviation in my route. After stopping near a society- me, my dad and my brother got down to talk to him. My father being the calm one went to talk to him and tell him his mistake. He tried explaining him that we educated folks shouldn't indulge in activities like abusing.etc. this fellow being arrogant just said it's ok and stood there like a shameless moron. While I was leaving he started clicking pics of my car, I asked my brother to do the same.

I had my family with me and I shouldn't have had chased him after stopping once. I totally admit that it was foolish on my part. But then it happens rarely but when it does the anger is bad. I should have had controlled especially after my mom was asking me to stop. I did apologise to my parents for my misbehaviour. But am never gonna apologise to the Ciaz fellow. All I was asking was to accept his mistake and apologise. Anyway I have promised my dad that I won't Eva react like this or rather react at all to any moron on the road. Just felt better after posting here. Attaching a pic of the Ciaz and the idiot driving it.

Road rage confession-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434637741.219035.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2015 at 10:16.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 10:12   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
So I knew I was going to make it someday here. Driving back peacefully from e-square, university road after watching tanu weds manu returns somewhere around bavdhan a moron in a white Ciaz (MH12LP7706) cuts me real bad twice. The first time I let it go as I was with mom and dad and it was during the traffic. So things do go wrong wherein people have to change lanes suddenly. While climbing towards chandni chowk this person cuts me again. I lost my cool I chased him towards chandni chowk and stopped infront of his car just before the slope starts. I got down to tell this fellow his mistake. He didn't bother even rolling his windows down and apologise. I got back into my car and left, he overtakes me and shows a middle finger. That was it I lost my cool totally and chased him up till a building in right bhusari colony. I stay close by too so there was no deviation in my route. After stopping near a society- me, my dad and my brother got down to talk to him. My father being the calm one went to talk to him and tell him his mistake. He tried explaining him that we educated folks shouldn't indulge in activities like abusing.etc. this fellow being arrogant just said it's ok and stood there like a shameless moron. While I was leaving he started clicking pics of my car, I asked my brother to do the same.

I had my family with me and I shouldn't have had chased him after stopping once. I totally admit that it was foolish on my part. But then it happens rarely but when it does the anger is bad. I should have had controlled especially after my mom was asking me to stop. I did apologise to my parents for my misbehaviour. But am never gonna apologise to the Ciaz fellow. All I was asking was to accept his mistake and apologise. Anyway I have promised my dad that I won't Eva react like this or rather react at all to any moron on the road. Just felt better after posting here. Attaching a pic of the Ciaz and the idiot driving it.
Driving in Pune is an art. You need to master the art of "Patience". I moved into Pune an year ago from Mumbai. The issue over here is every moron who commits a mistake here thinks he has every right to do so. It's of no use trying to argue or speak to these people because they will continue to do the same thing with even more enthusiasm.
A small case, I was doing 40 on Lohegaon road on my bullet. A guy in an activa coming from the wrong side suddenly takes a U turn. I had to brake suddenly and stopped at the nick of time. I asked him why did he do so. He started arguing and saying i was doing high speeds and i should drive slow. In this case how slow should I ride, 20? Thats the case in Pune. People commit a mistake but never apologize.

Another case inside commerzone, Yerwada where I work ,a guy on a bike in front of me slips and falls while entering the parking due to recent rains. I stop and get down to help the poor guy. Suddenly an i 10 at the back of my car starts honking even after seeing what is happening in front of him and the complete zone being a no honking zone. I neither responded nor moved my car since the bike was lying in front of me. I first ensured the bike guy was Ok and then moved his bike to the side. Meanwhile people who were walking shouted on the i10 guy to shut up.I could make out the embarrassment on his face.

Regarding what your dad did,complete respect to him for maintaining his cool.Suggest you to invest on a dash cam if you don't have one, cause a dash cam is a tool for survival,at least in Pune.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Spaces.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:09   #264
BHPian

Not sure if this can be classified as road rage, but still would like to share an experience here. Forgive me if the narration is not up to mark.

It was late night. i had been partying with some friends, and was returning back with three of them at around 11.30 PM. A particular stretch of road was deserted, with ours being the only car and I was at wheel. We were going sedately at around 45 km/hr. Soon, in rear view mirror, I spotted a car coming at great speed and flashing lights crazily. I was already driving in left lane, so did not bother much, though reduced the speed bit more. A black Indica came right next to our car (in right lane) and started running parallel at same speed. Then suddenly that driver increased speed and took a sudden dash towards left lane, such that its rear bumper brushed against our front bumper (right). With that the car sped away to some distance.

We being four guys decided to give a chase. The Indica took a couple of turns and came to halt in about a minute. As we were closing by, we were planning to stop and give the driver a good teaching. Suddenly, I spotted around 7-8 people sitting on the wall where that car stopped. Sensing something fishy, I decided not to stop there and carried on further.

Soon we came across a PCR vehicle and narrated the incidence to the cops. They asked if we noted the number of Indica, which, surprisingly none of us did. The cop said nothing can be done. We tried to convince him to come with us to the spot where that car had stopped. The cop didn't buzz and asked us to carry on to where we were going. Already tired, and not knowing what to do, we left the matter there itself and went home, obviously in bad mood.

One of us had his uncle in traffic police department. Next day he casually called him and told about last night's incidence. What we heard next completely shook our mind. It was a ploy that was used those days to take a car to a deserted place. Some gang was operating in the area where they used to make a car follow them to some place, and then beat the hell out of travelers and take all their belongings. Unfortunately, it was our turn that day, but luckily, we escaped.
sumitgovil2311 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:04   #265
BHPian

I got shouted at by a cab driver for having allowed him to go first at a small intersection. felt strange

About 3 weeks back, I was driving on the koramangala - Domlur Intermediate ring road which has a divider all through out except for one place in the middle which is mainly taken for U turns by vehicles coming form either side. Cars in front of me drove on and when i came near, i slowed down to let the cab from the other side take his U turn and join this road. As he took the U-turn he said something as if i had done a wrong thing. i caught up with him, lowered the front passenger side window and asked him the reason for shouting and told him that i actually allowed him to take the turn.
So he replies - "you shouldn't stop for any vehicle , you just need to go on"

Was very disappointed and felt sorry on myself for having got a shout back after showing a good gesture.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:33   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post

One of us had his uncle in traffic police department. Next day he casually called him and told about last night's incidence. What we heard next completely shook our mind. It was a ploy that was used those days to take a car to a deserted place. Some gang was operating in the area where they used to make a car follow them to some place, and then beat the hell out of travelers and take all their belongings. Unfortunately, it was our turn that day, but luckily, we escaped.
Thank you for alerting us to a possible new tactic to beat and loot motorists. Your presence of mind really saved you and your friends. Hope your car bumper did not have too bad a scratch.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 17:07   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hope your car bumper did not have too bad a scratch.
Not a major one. Had to spent some 400 bucks at a local dainting/painting outlet (though Honda service center accessed the damage as worth 3000 rupees)
Old 24th June 2015, 18:44   #268
BHPian

I've had one too many such rages here in Bangalore. Good, bad and the ugly ones. This has been the past. When I look back, they aint worth it. Nothing has changed from then but my patience and ignorance to such incidents. I think the Bimmer has calmed me down quite a bit.

I feel sorry for our country. Having travelled quite a bit of the world, I think we are the worst when it comes to traffic/civic sense.

I just dread what the next generation will see!
Old 24th June 2015, 19:33   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Happy that you guys escaped without any serious damages but one thing baffled me here. When the traffic cops know that there is a gang operating and looting folks, when you guys complained to the cops, they did not even bother checking!
Old 1st September 2015, 12:26   #270
BHPian

This happened today morning. In a narrow two lane road, a Figo behind me comes up dangerously. He is not very aggressive, but honking around, cutting sharp, looking for a place to overtake everybody and anybody in front of him. I let him go as soon I could, but he gets stuck behind two slow moving cars in front of me.

Now that I am behind him, I observe that both his brake lights are not working. I pull up beside him and request him to pull over. When he stops, I said very politely "Sir, your brake lights are not working". He first didn't understand what I said (probably he was expecting a confrontation). Explained him what brake lights are. After he understood, I added "With your driving style, you really need them!".

He did drive in a sedate manner after that. Don't know if it really helped, but hopefully I earned some "Road karma" points for letting him know about his brake lights.
shifu is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks