Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:10   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm sure I too have been guilty of being that shallow, but I hope I'm more aware of that now and have changed.
Don't beat yourself up- we were all young once.

Around 2002 when I had just moved to Bangalore to start my IT Marketing career, a bunch of us including our-then boss drove Accents (the closest thing to affordable luxury around the early noughties!) One day my boss pulled up in a bright red Maruti 800 and I laughed and asked why on earth he was driving that?

He glared at me and said it was his first car and he still used it occasionally. I continued grinning in spite of myself. A decade and a half later, still attached to my 2006 Swift (the Accent is long gone!) I can finally appreciate the sentiment
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:08   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Please wash your car more often. We need the rains in Chennai. If possible, wash twice a day. I am sure you would get a lot of goodwill!
Be careful what you wish for. The last time I washed my car two times the same day, Chennai had the mega floods in 2015. I cleaned the interiors of my car with a Vacuum cleaner and Chennai had the Vardha cyclone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Do you have any children or siblings buddy
I have an elder brother and he doesn't have special powers, but he got good grades and is now in Germany with a future better than mine.
esoticoreventon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:59   #648
BHPian

I would like to share an incidence which happened to me a couple of years back, while I was at my hometown. I was at a petrol pump and asked the attendant to fill petrol worth Rs. 200 in my motorcycle. Simultaneously, I handed him over two notes of Rs. 100 each. He didn't use the preset option and started filling the tank. There was a very pretty girl standing behind me on a scooty. The attendant was staring at her and filling the tank simultaneously. I was watching the machine's metre and it went all the way to Rs. 430 when he realised and came out of his dream world. I laughed and said Bhaiya it's your fault, I have already paid for it .

It made my day and I still laugh upon it and share the same with my friends and family.

Drive safe!
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:55   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Be careful what you wish for. The last time I washed my car two times the same day, Chennai had the mega floods in 2015. I cleaned the interiors of my car with a Vacuum cleaner and Chennai had the Vardha cyclone.
I am sure the people of Chennai are now aware of all the do's and don'ts for such situations. Bring 'em on : ) We sure have space now for a lot of water!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:51   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Don't beat yourself up- we were all young once.
Really? Now where did I put that Benjamin Button movie?!

Quote:
I have an elder brother and he doesn't have special powers, but he got good grades and is now in Germany with a future better than mine.
Well, you never know how things work. Lets watch out for heat waves in Germany this winter.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 10:04   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Well, you never know how things work. Lets watch out for heat waves in Germany this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I am sure the people of Chennai are now aware of all the do's and don'ts for such situations. Bring 'em on : ) We sure have space now for a lot of water!
Well, I don't mean to brag, but I did wash my car yesterday and look at the awesome rains that lashed Chennai! Every single weather app predicted no rains yesterday, but still it rained, and the only reason is me washing my car.
esoticoreventon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 18:21   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I don't mean to brag, but I did wash my car yesterday and look at the awesome rains that lashed Chennai! Every single weather app predicted no rains yesterday, but still it rained, and the only reason is me washing my car.
Did you wash your car today by any chance? Chennai seems to have a pretty decent shower today!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:12   #653
BHPian

Hello, Everyone.

I would like to share an incident which happened to me in June this year.

We all know about the traffic and road manners people follow in Bangalore city. If one needs to get an idea about the situation, you can get all the information here.

I was staying in ISRO layout in a friend's home. I had an exam to give in Yelanka and as my leg was still recovering from a fracture and a ligament tear (to the doctors on Team-BHP, Right knee Patellar chip Fracture, with Medial Condyle of Femur chip fracture and ACL tear), I had decided it was best to book a cab and reach my destination. For the people who don't know much about Bangalore, the distance between these areas are quite a bit (around 30-40kms) as they are at opposite ends of the city. I had booked an Uber in the morning and had reached my destination, uneventfully.

On the return leg, which was in the afternoon, I had booked an Uber. On the way, there was heavy rain and heavy traffic. As I reached halfway through my journey, the Uber cab I was in wasn't pulling properly, and many of the times the cab would violently jerk while moving forward (this was in MEL ring road towards. Outer Ring road). This kept happening throughout the journey until we reached 3kms before my destination, where the cab wouldn't move forward at all. (There's only so long how much a bad clutch can work. Also, for the general info of Team-BHPians, car was a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Tour, not sure of the model year, but the ODO was around 36,500 km)

So, the cab driver, who knew that is car needs immediate repair before a breakdown, told me that his car needed repairs and that he would be dropping me off around the place, where his car refused to move forward. He dropped me off around Ayodhya Upachar, on 50 feet road, Banashankari near a granite shop. So, I booked the next Uber, and he had arrived, but on the other side of the road. Now came the tedious part of crossing the road, with a limb and a crutch, while the road was wet and slippery and it was drizzling. The reason I brought up the rants thread on Bangalore cause, on that thread, it says how all the people on cars and motorbikes are impatient and drives through any free space to move forward. This particular day, on both sides of the road, everyone (including cars, motorbikes, and buses) stopped for me and waited patiently for me to cross the road.

It really felt different (on a positive note), because, in various other areas of the city, people always kept moving around me (especially motorcyclists) like I was an island in a river. Hence, I named the locality of the incident. The Rants on Bangalore's Traffic is a proof on how much traffic sense is present in the city. It just goes on to show that there are people with traffic sense, manners, and courtesy around the city.

PS: I am not a Bangalorean nor I stay in Bangalore, and my knowledge of the city and its roads keep getting updated with every visit. but I am a regular visitor of the city. Also, this is the only time I experienced this. In the next few days, while I was roaming in bangalore, everyone just kept honking at me to move faster and some people had taken some time to pass comments. Also, I have no complaints on the Uber driver or the cab. We have a thread for that on Team-BHP too, on the work hours that both the driver and the car has to go through every day.

My intention on sharing this is not to make this a rants thread, but to let people know that people are changing and that there are good people out there.

A funny moment: The uber driver had asked me if I knew any good Maruti Workshops around or any good mechanic. Since I was new to that area, I had no clue and I started checking Google Maps. He saw this and said, it's okay; as he too was about to do the same thing after dropping me. We both had a smile on our faces.
themonster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 11:59   #654
Senior - BHPian

Till a few weeks ago, I was accompanying a relative for regular physiotherapy sessions. As the designated driver my duty was to drive to and from and wait till the session was over. Parking space on the street used to be quite tight, so I used to stay near the parked car even when I found parking space.

During the first week of being the designated driver, I managed to find parking space for my Nano. I left enough space for a couple of bikes to be parked and as with all other zombies these days, started working with my mobile.

In a few minutes, a Wagon R turned up looking for parking space. I shrugged my inability to take the car any further due to other parked two wheelers. The driver seemed a bit upset with the situation. A 30 ish year old person in the front passenger seat kept staring at me without saying a word. I tried to help the driver stop his car so that the passenger could get down. But the front passenger kept staring at me. A cold uninterrupted stare - a stare we see every day on Pune roads. A stare which accuses you of a lot of things and also makes you feel like rubbish. The ‘looking down at you’ stare, for the lack of a better phrase.

On another day, in another situation I would have ended up saying something or staring back. Some part of road rage would have taken over me. Though a part of me was itching to say a word or make a gesture, something didn’t seem right. Meanwhile, the driver stopped the car halfway in the parking area, jutting halfway out on the road. He walked across to the front passenger door. He helped the front passenger with his seatbelt and also to step out. As soon as the seatbelt was removed his head slumped and he started staring now at the ground. He had to be helped from the car till the physio clinic step by step. A distance of around 20 feet, which would probably take us a few seconds took them around a few minutes. All this time, his head had been propped up against the headrest. He had no control over his neck; probably some issue with the spine or neck. What I mistook for a stare was in fact a blank look.

I tried to help a little, but I couldn’t even get myself to look at the guy. So I looked out for the car till the driver returned from the clinic. Till date, I can only imagine how much worse I would have felt if I had actually said a word or raised my hand to gesture in anger. Lesson learnt in terms of empathy. Not everyone around is the same as us; all have their own battles to deal with.
I hope the guy recovers well and is able to lead a normal life. Doing things which we take for granted, like moving around and being able to control his own body for his daily tasks.

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th August 2017 at 12:00.
selfdrive is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 12:13   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Was driving the Storme on an interior road last week. The road has a divider, but does not see heavy traffic all the time. It was around 1 pm, and traffic light. I saw two pups on the road up ahead, and may be another one a little towards the side. One pup was rolling on the road - like they do when playing. The other seemed to be playing with it. As I approached them, the rolling didnt seem natural. The pup was up on it's legs for a second or so before it toppled on to it's back and continued to struggle. Something looked wrong.

Stopped the Storme in the middle ( adjacent the divider), so the path to the pups was blocked. There was enough space for vehicles to pass by on the left. Got down and went up to the pup. Seeing me come, it stopped struggling, and just sat there. Checked once if it would nip at me, but it was quiet. Lifted it and took it to the side, and set it down on some grass. It sat there for a bit.

Went back and picked out a bottle of water, and washed my hands. There was no blood or apparent injury on the pup. The pup had been hit by some vehicle, and the person had just sped away. No one around seemed bothered to help either. Went back to the pup, and tried to pour some water into it's mouth. It refused to open, but there was some blood from the mouth. But by this time, the pup was able to get up and walked a bit on it's own. Another person - a construction site worker did come with some water.

Headed my way again. The fellow pup seemed more concerned than the on-lookers. Hope the pup has recovered.

Last edited by condor : 24th August 2017 at 12:14.
condor is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 18:03   #656
Senior - BHPian

My daily commute can be faulted for many things, but lack of entertainment is not one of them.

Over the past few months, we finally managed to get a carpool working. While it lasted, it allowed us to look out and enjoy the sights and scenes around us. On one such occasion an Uber driver (white Ritz) overtook us rashly from the left on Pune – Nagar road. As we were approaching a signal, all vehicles were slowing down. On the contrary this was the only guy speeding up. He almost hit a motorcyclist to his right and the biker responded with a gesture.

The Uber driver probably saw this and slowed down so they were both driving at around 30kmph in front of our car. All this while, I was finding it funny so asked my carpool members to pay attention. After an exchange of a few angry words, the cab driver swerved his steering wheel on purpose to the right so as to intimidate the biker. Or so we thought. Till he actually hit the biker causing him to wobble and crash. The Ritz started to cut his way across the stopped vehicles and run away. The biker tried to stand up but his leg gave way under him and he fell again. Now all of a sudden, we were 3 eye witnesses to a hit and run incident. Some bikers stopped to pick up the guy who was waving his hand at the speeding Ritz while being sprawled across the road. The first thing we did was to note the registration number of the Ritz and then I sped after him. Probably a day when I was thankful for having a petrol car! He did his best to avoid us by switching to the extreme left. Around 200 m later, he almost hit us once when I tried to corner him to the left. At this point I slowed down a little fearing that he might as well end up hitting us.

There was a lady passenger in the rear; who from what we could see was not much bothered about the incident. Meanwhile, I could see in the IRVM that a white swift closing up on us. By this time, we had reached the third signal and the remorseless guy was still trying to run. The front passenger in the white swift was waving and whistling; it was a traffic cop! My front co passenger rolled his window down and screamed at him about the cop who was following. This time we managed to corner the Ritz and get him to slow down and then stop. The swift also caught up with us almost immediately. The traffic cop ran towards the Ritz; the lady passenger got off voluntarily without saying a word. He sat in the front passenger seat and instructed the driver to take a u turn and head back to the accident site.

A quick thumbs up from the cop and the Swift and us were off on our respective routes. Good to see that the cop took proactive action in hailing a passing car and also that driver helping with following diligently. If it wasn’t for that Swift driver, I would have returned to the accident site to give the registration number to the hit and run victim (if I lost the Ritz in traffic).

Just a few minutes before this incident, we were discussing about the need of a front dashcam; boy, we did miss one that day!

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th August 2017 at 18:05.
selfdrive is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 22:07   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ...

A quick thumbs up from the cop and the Swift and us were off on our respective routes. Good to see that the cop took proactive action in hailing a passing car and also that driver helping with following diligently. If it wasn’t for that Swift driver, I would have returned to the accident site to give the registration number to the hit and run victim (if I lost the Ritz in traffic).

Just a few minutes before this incident, we were discussing about the need of a front dashcam; boy, we did miss one that day!
Superb action on your part, and somewhat brave too. Well done!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 18:48   #658
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manual wiper! Only in India

GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 19:06   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manual wiper!
This unique video had already caught a Bhpian's attention and was posted in the Mumbai rains thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4260329

I am afraid that intelligent car makers will now juxtapose this video with one where a car's vipers are being operated normally using a stalk and claim that their car is equipped with auto vipers .
Old 30th August 2017, 19:12   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manual wiper! Only in India
Reminds of an evening in Delhi, it was also raining.
I was stuck in the typical Delhi traffic when I saw an R8( in pretty battered condition) in the next lane to me. All of the glass inside was fogged up and the driver was furiously wiping the windscreen with a tissue at the same time trying to keep up with the traffic.
Pretty sure he had no idea how to use an auto climate control.
This continued for all the time he was stuck with me, made for some good entertainment.

Last edited by Doge : 30th August 2017 at 19:15.
Doge is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed