Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 20:23   #571
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The better half's phone has slipped out of her pocket unknown to her, and the chap has picked it up and called me (we both have each other's number listed as Emergency Contact on lock screen). He asks me to return to a spot close to my home and collect it, which I do promptly.

Nice to meet a kind soul once in a while.
I have lost two phones but never got them back. Glad that your experience was positive

Slightly OT - Few months back, while waiting for my office pickup cab, an old lady approached me with a Samsung smartphone in her hand and asked if I wanted to buy it. She did not quote any price and wanted me to make an offer. Probably she had no idea on the price of the phone. I did not show any interest and refused her. She moved on to others standing nearby. I may be wrong here but I am assuming that it is not her phone and she would have picked it from the road (fallen from someone's pocket) or maybe flicked it from somewhere.
Kiterunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 15:16   #572
BHPian

Humyum, thats great of you and the vento guy to react the way you did. I as a lady driver get this treatment quite often but not to this level thankfully. Hats off.

Last edited by manaa45 : 4th February 2017 at 15:17. Reason: added name of
manaa45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 10:22   #573
Senior - BHPian

This morning, on my usual ride to office I had a really funny incident. I was my CBR, at the Madhya Kailash signal, waiting to turn right (which joins the Rajiv Gandhi IT expressway) and this stretch till the Tidel park is a completely empty stretch with no shops or houses on the side and is a well paved road - allowing nice cruise speeds. So as I was waiting, a Royal Enfield Classic Squadron blue joined me to wait for the signal.

I have always fancied the Classic 500 and almost bought one, but vibrations above 80 kmph reported by few of my friends kept me away from it. So I decided to ride along with this Squadron Blue chap, to see at what speeds he cruises comfortably. The signal turned green, and we both got rolling. I was maintaining a safe distance from him (about three bikes length behind him) and was to his right.

At 70 kmph - I shifted to 6th gear and kept along, as I saw him shift to 5th and he continued too.
At 80 kmph - I could see his ORVMs were vibrating a lot and I could no longer see his helmet clearly on them.
At around 90 - I was thinking to myself, Hmmm, 90-100 is the maximum speeds that I usually cruise, so yea this bike is good enough. And at this moment a loud 'DANG' later his battery cover, from the left side flew off! And thankfully I was still on his right.

I started flashing my high beam and honked to bring that to his notice, but the poor chap thought I was intimidating him and inviting him for a race and opened full throttle... He went far ahead and finally halted at the next signal. I went and stopped right next to him on his left and called out for him, but he avoided me and kept ignoring me. I guess he was expecting some advice about safe riding from me and hence avoided my calls (I was fully geared) So I had to tap his hand after which he just moved his eye balls to make partial eye contact. Then then I told him this his battery cover flew off and I was trying to stop him for the last 1 km to just tell this... That embarrassed look on his face just made my day and then the weekend too

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-expressway.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 10:50   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
At around 90 - I was thinking to myself, Hmmm, 90-100 is the maximum speeds that I usually cruise, so yea this bike is good enough. And at this moment a loud 'DANG' later his battery cover, from the left side flew off! And thankfully I was still on his right.
Looks like the battery cover falling off is a normal affair on a Bullet. Happened to me as well once in the last 15 years though.
Recently I met a person who sold his Bullet 500 for a Duke 390 just because of the vibrations. He was riding flat out when the battery as a whole fell off! I thought he was exaggerating, now i know.
tharian is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 10:58   #575
BHPian

This incident happened when I was returning from Mangalore. I usually take Nice road on my drive back to home and yesterday was no exception. While exiting Nice road usually we need to show the toll receipt to the person on the toll and yesterday too I showed the receipt. Upon showing toll guy said this is not the receipt and I was surprised and I told him to check properly. He said the same and I asked him is he blind and our fight continued for some 5 mins. I could see traffic getting backed up and in all these minutes I never checked to see the receipt which I am showing. Finally when I checked I was infact showing him the toll receipt of one of toll in NH75. I felt very much embarrassed and felt sorry for the guy who have been patiently listening to my words. I immediately showed the right receipt with a broad smile and said sorry and just zipped away.

With fast tag arriving this week and with no more toll receipts except Nice road, I hope I will never get into such situation in the future.
DragonHawk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 16:18   #576
Senior - BHPian

Well, a funny thing happened when we went to rally Sweden this year. We parked the car around 5 kms from the view point. So its a long walk back to the car. It was almost dark when we began our walk back to the car, there was a chap infront of me who was walking bit funny , don't know why was he walking like that. I felt intrigued so instead of walking past this chap, I thought, I will follow him till I reach the car.

I think it was a good decision he did fall down thrice, it was dark so he might have missed seeing the slippery ice at times. At one point he fell in to a ditch, these Swedes I tell you, some of them act quite strangely after these events. I tried to help him out, seeing this another chap also joined to help. Luckily for three of us a car pulled over offering us a lift, the other two chaps took the lift where as I continued my journey on foot.

Still wondering, what made that chap to walk strangely. Maybe, we will never know.

Last edited by ecenandu : 19th February 2017 at 16:20.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:10   #577
BHPian

Dear All,

This is my experience though it is not funny but interesting. Read on...

This happened just on Saturday. We have farms at our village and we have planted Potatoes. Now one of our tractors needed fuel so i thought i should fill up as soon as it is free.

So me and my friend who was there to help us hopped in and i was driving the tractor. We reached the bunk which is located about 15 kms from our farm. I asked the attendant to fill up Rs. 1600 of diesel. He started filling. After the fill i gave him Rs. 2000 note and he said that he didn't have change as it was early morning 8.00 AM i guess. So, i told him ok you get the change from the office and i want to use the washroom. So after using the washroom i got a call and i was busy attending the call, after the call we drove off from the bunk without getting the change as we forgot. Now after reaching the farm i realized that i forgot to get the change. I thought i will get it once i go again at the same bunk in the afternoon for another fill up on our 2nd tractor.

After about 1 hour or so i can see a Tata Safari coming to our farm. I think he is a potato businessman who wants to buy our potatoes. But to my utter surprise he came to me and showed duplicate of diesel filling receipt and asked if i have filled the diesel. I said yes and he gave me the 400 bucks back saying that i forgot to take the change and i was like. Thanked him for the problems he had to face due to me. He came in his Safari for giving back the money. These kind of people are still there on the earth. For this good gesture i gave him freshly digged potatoes as a goodwill gift.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st February 2017 at 14:52. Reason: Made some formatting/language changes :)
N4Nikunj is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 03:06   #578
Senior - BHPian

My niece is staying with her grand parents in Kerala for few months. And on my request have asked her to be always seated in a child seat with seatbelt fastened while travelling in our car. Its not an easy task guys, I have to always pester them. Whenever they go out, I have to call them and double check whether she is belted up or not and will request my mom to put the seatbelt on as well.

She is over hearing the telephone conversation I am having with my mom all these time. Today, I got a video where she is asking my mom to put the seatbelt on , I was so happy to see that. Now my job is taken over by her. Nurturing also play a significant role, I believe. Now, she knows that child seat is her place in the car and she is not throwing any tantrums like before. She is 2.5 years old btw.

Guys, safety first, SAFETY FIRST. .

Last edited by ecenandu : 26th February 2017 at 03:21.
ecenandu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:40   #579
GTO
Team-BHP Support

About an hour back, I take a right turn and get onto an uphill road. Empty road, so am driving a bit spiritedly. Make the turn with my foot on the accelerator.

I'm in second gear. In a diesel.
To my left is a petrol. In 1st gear.
I'm going to the redline. Can tell he isn't upshifting either.
Both of us at high revvs. I can hear him. He can hear me.
He shifts up. I'm still pulling to the redline.
But now, I'm close to running out of breath. I make a quick upshift too (to 3rd).

Redlight ahead. So we start slowing down.......

FROM 50 - 60 KM/H

My diesel = Jeep
The petrol = An Omni (CNG?)

Oh, the joy of driving a slow car hard! An experience like no other!!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2017 at 23:42.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:58   #580
Team-BHP Support

This story is quite an anti-climax because as I was reading, images of BMW 5-series to Tucson to new turbo Civic were flashing across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
About an hour back, I take a right turn and get onto an uphill road. Empty road, so am driving a bit spiritedly.
Not sure about the Classic - but on an uphill road, driving spiritedly was a NECESSITY for the Omni LPG driver.
SmartCat is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:24   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Oh, the joy of driving a slow car hard! An experience like no other!!
I can relate to this. When I had the W123 300D it used to be fun to slot her in 3rd gear at low speeds and push her all the way to 100 kmph in the same gear (It was a 4 speed box). Cars like Innova were quicker but I would catch up every time they change gears.

The engine noise of a 5 cylinder diesel at higher revs was music to ears.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 11:25   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Just now my brother sent me these snaps clicked in Gurgaon. 5 on a bike, 2 humans and 3 monkeys!! ( Actually 3 humans and 2 Langurs!! ) The monkey at back is holding on to its dear life, sad state of affairs.

Mods: Shift it to a relevant thread if it exists.
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_20170318_112321.jpg  

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_20170318_112409.jpg  

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_20170318_112455.jpg  

BoneCollector is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 23:52   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Was walking up to my car yesterday evening, a little after sunset. It was a not-so-wide street, with A line of bikes were parked on the side of the road. The footpath there is not pedestrian friendly, and definitely not for visually challenged person. One such person was walking on the road, almost 3 feet away from the bikes, trying to make sure he didnt bump into any of them. Traffic was momentarily lean, but no telling when it would build up. I felt he was going a little too far away from the side, so I told him to try and be a little to the left. As I said that, and prepared to move on, an auto driver saw this man and stopped to ask if he could drop him somewhere. It was not about asking for a fare, but a genuine offer of help. !
condor is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 15:18   #584
BHPian

So my friend and I were just done with college, and were just about the join the Marine Drive road when he randomly stopped on the road and just started staring at something, in disbelief. Considering the car nuts that we are, I was assuming there was a really fancy car that was already on the road, and he stopped to let it pass first.

I was on the passenger seat so I bent a little ahead, and lo behold

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-20170330_133028.jpg
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-20170330_133031.jpg

A Maruti 800(Laden with Piles of Wood) being pulled by 2 guys on a handcart like it's nobodys business! We really thought we were seeing things due to lack of sleep, but the pictures prove otherwise.

In my last few days in India, I'm glad I am getting to see such gems.

Last edited by Abudhabicars : 30th March 2017 at 15:21. Reason: Typo
Abudhabicars is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:34   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An encounter with a thief?

Ok fellas,
Be ready for a l-o-n-g post on this one. I still have both goosebumps and stomach aches while thinking about this.

It was a weekend (Saturday I suppose). It was only 6 months since our new Jetta had come into the household and we decided to have dinner outside. The spot chosen was Navi Mumbai (notorious for car thieves I suppose?).

Either ways, the more experienced Mumbaikars might know the restaurant 'Manisha'. There is an adjoining lane just near to the Restaurant where most people park their cars in a line and which also leads to the Coastal side. My dad (as usual) parks the Jet there and we go to have dinner.

After a sumptuous meal, we all come back and my dad is ready for a longish drive back to Cuffe Parade. Unfortunately, my brother isn't. He wants to entertain nature's call and thus my mom takes him to a safe spot which is deserted. It's only me and my dad near the car now leaning over it (seen many people do that although the car isn't there's). Sequence of events:

- My dad has already unlocked the car. The interior lights have come on. My dad puts the key back into his pocket only to find that my brother wants to umm as I said before.

- A bald man in his 30s walks upto the car. He is staring at the Jetta. Now, I might not have a girlfriend or wife, but I do feel the heat when someone stares at the Jetta as if it's gold. This man does exactly that. Stares at the car for a moment and then at me and dad.(My dad doesn't notice this. He is busy reading whatsapp)

- What happens next shocks me. He slowly takes his hand towards the door handle looking around and at me as well. Maybe he thought that I would presume he is the owner of the car. I start giving him the looks immediately. This continues for the next 5 seconds.

- The next thing is the funniest. There's a "tak" sound and the central locking system locks the car back up (automatically).

- My brother has finally returned and we are ready to set off. My dad (to the (presumed) thieve's surprise) draws the key fob out and unlocks the car. The man now asks (with a frozen face): "Sir, Gaadi aapki hai?" (dad replies in the affirmative). The man opens the door immediately and lets me in. Does the same for my mom. Maybe he thinks his cover would be blown so he goes up to another car full of passengers and opens the door, trying to act like he is a valet person.

- I go home and refer to the service manual only to find that the car has a safety feature. "Incase if there is no activity detected 10 seconds after unlocking the car through the Keyfob, the car will lock itself."

In the end, I don't know if the feature helped the thief or helped us. If it wouldn't have been there, this story would have been even funnier.

Last edited by vishy76 : 22nd May 2017 at 14:44.
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks