Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 11:58   #1
BHPian

My Figo's first accident. Rear-ended an Alto

Hi All

The accident happened few months back. I couldn't share the same on forum that time as I joined team BHP recently.

I and my friend were travelling in my Figo from Hinjewadi towards Pune. It was a long weekend, evening time and roads were crowded as usual. I was going to drop my friend at Pune station. We were on the Wakad bridge; chatting usual stuff.

I don't remember the exact car speed but must be around 40 kmph. Suddenly my friend showed me a big hoarding on the beneath highway and I turned my neck, my eyes went off the road ahead. It was that moment when car gained speed as it was on the slope; 1 second's distraction. When I again looked ahead through windshield, it was too late. I rammed into an Alto. I didn't get time to slam brakes. I and my friend were terrified, awestruck with what happened withing fraction of seconds. It was right in between the road on the bridge. I started my warning lights and pulled over while Figo's engine was still running. To my surprise I had damaged two cars. The Alto in front had rammed into the Dzire ahead of it. All 3 cars stopped in between the road, causing traffic jam. The Alto guy started shouting and creating a scene. I apologized multiple times. We were politely requesting him to take our cars out of the way and stop a little ahead to the road side. But he was not listening. He started clicking pictures of the car and asking me my details. While the Dzire guy was just saying one thing, give me my money. After some time finally Alto guy agreed to stop at the roadside ahead. Traffic was cleared.

Damages: By God's grace no person was injured as expected. My Figo's damages were minimum. Front number plate broke into 4-5 pieces, bonnet was bent a little, front bumper deformed. Alto was damaged badly. Rear bumper, boot lid, tail lights, front bumper, bonnet, front lights were totaled, engine oil leakage. Dzire's rear bumper broke off and tail pipe bent, started hanging. The inside chassis like frame part pierced through the bumper.

When we started discussing the ultra hyper Alto guy started shouting and was in no mood of discussing. He was asking to repair his Alto in my car's insurance! While I was truing to tell them, we all have insurances, you claim your car's insurance towards damages and I will pay the part which you have to pay through your pocket. Both of them were insane like why I should waste my insurance, You have to fix it using your insurance. They had all kinds of arguments like we never caused any accidents, why we should claim the insurance etc. Alto guy started saying "Lets call Police". I was trying to convince him calling Police won't help and they will confiscate our cars and I am ready to pay for damages.

After heated arguments they agreed to claim the damages in their insurance. But again demanded I have to pay towards their NCB also! This was it. I lost my cool and said now call Police only. I was in no mood to discuss with these morons. Alto guy called Police. Police came and we all drove to nearby Police station in our cars which was hardly 200 mtr away.
Meanwhile I had called Ford 24x7 helpline and requested for a towing truck. But later I examined my car for any leakages and found none. Hence again called their helpline and cancelled the towing vehicle. I also called up ICICI Lombard and registered the accident details. I have zero depreciation insurance on my Figo.

In the Police station, police suggested settle it amicably else FIR will be filed etc. Now I put forward my case and said I accept my mistake and I am ready to pay for uncovered insurance. But I will not pay their NCBs. Police was surprised a bit to know that they were asking for NCBs from me. Police passed the judgement; NCB can't be asked and just take the uncovered insurance money. They made us wrote our details in the register and asked me to stay back. They asked me for Rs 5000 bribe to leave me without FIR. I showed them my wallet. Luckily I didn't had much cash. I was having only 500 in my wallet. They took 500 and I was asked to leave.

Dzire guy had called his family and had found out some senior inspector's contact details in the police station. That inspector did pressurize me for giving NCB to them but I didn't budge. The other police inspectors also didn't agree for this.

When I came out of Police station; we took Alto and Dzire to MyCar Wakad and left it there. I could have left straight away but the Dzire guy's family started saying how we will go back, it has caused a lot of inconvenience to them etc.

I decided to drop them in my car. While their cars were badly damaged, My Figo was up and running! That was the only solace I had in the situation. Sitting in my car they were discussing how the hell my car is not damaged much and their cars are damaged so much.

It was the first time in my life I was offering a lift to such bunch of idiots and was being so courteous to them. Through out the road they kept me telling stories of their relatives; how they met with an accident and the other party had to arrange for a temporary car till their car gets repaired!

I dropped them. It was 11 PM in the night. With all the stress and agony I had go through just because I took eyes off the road for a second.

Next day I went to Ford service center and they estimated the damage repairing amount to Rs 80000! Front bumper, bonnet, fog lamps, radiator assembly etc all were replaced. I had to pay just Rs 2000 towards the processing fee. Thank God i had opted for zero depreciation insurance! Else I would have to shell out at least Rs 20000 from my pocket.

I got my Figo back after 4 days. The new bonnet didn't carry the same paint finish as the stock one (mine is panther black Figo). Soon I settled Alto's and Dzire's bill also. I came to know the Alto guy who was creating so much fuss on NCB had already met 2 accidents in the same year! He was not eligible for NCB next year anyways. And for that NCB we went to police. When confronted he replied he had forgotten those 2 accidents. People stoop to such low levels for 2000-3000 bucks. Pathetic! I could have straight away denied Dzire's bill as Alto had hit the Dzire. But inside somewhere I knew it's my fault. But by this time I had started feeling I was being nice with wrong people.

Lessons learnt:
  1. No matter what, don't take eyes off the road even for a second particularly on a crowded road or when you are doing high speeds.
  2. Don't be nice to not so nice people. Give them the treatment they deserve.
  3. Always Wear seat belts and never buy a Maruti car! (no offense meant)
  4. keep the cool. You can save on lot of things and hassle in future.
  5. Never be intimidated by Police or whatsoever if you are not at fault

Last edited by StepUP! : 19th August 2014 at 14:19.
StepUP! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 15:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Figo's first accident. Rear-ended an Alto

But you're COMPLETELY at fault here.
As it is, you acknowledge your fault about why you crashed.

And, in India, we have this (un)written(?) rule that the person behind is at fault.

Thats that. And onwards, I am on the side of the Alto guy. Why should he claim insurance AND face NCB loss?
Not only should be covering his expenses through your insurance, but if not, you should be paying the balance of the claim, AND covering his NCB loss.
mayankk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 15:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

But you're COMPLETELY at fault here.
As it is, you acknowledge your fault about why you crashed.
And, in India, we have this (un)written(?) rule that the person behind is at fault.
Thats that. And onwards, I am on the side of the Alto guy. Why should he claim insurance AND face NCB loss?
Not only should be covering his expenses through your insurance, but if not, you should be paying the balance of the claim, AND covering his NCB loss.
Coming to the point about NCB ,Alto guy was not having NCB.

Let us say if he was having NCB of 45% or 50% ,he is losing that because of not of his mistake.For an Alto it may be less amount but people do value NCB.Need to respect what others value.

I appreciate your kind deed of giving them free ride but at the same time having a grudge against them in your heart is not the right way to . You must take the responsibility as you had banged their cars from behind. put yourself in their shoes .They had their day lost just because of this accident.They had their meetings or marriages or shopping postponed now ,for you!

Any way in the future drive safe !
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, but paying the balance (& not the NCB) was a fair deal. Though the OP was at fault, but then if he wanted, he could have simply shrugged off his responsibility and asked them to deal with his insurer for third party claim.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi All

The accident happened few months back. I couldn't share the same on forum that time as I joined team BHP recently.
When we started discussing the ultra hyper Alto guy started shouting and was in no mood of discussing. He was asking to repair his Alto in my car's insurance! While I was truing to tell them, we all have insurances, you claim your car's insurance towards damages and I will pay the part which you have to pay through your pocket. Both of them were insane like why I should waste my insurance, You have to fix it using your insurance. They had all kinds of arguments like we never caused any accidents, why we should claim the insurance etc. ...

I was in no mood to discuss with these morons.
It was the first time in my life I was offering a lift to such bunch of idiots and was being so courteous to them.
Buddy, what are you so angry about? It was your fault to have hit the vehicle in front, and yes, you are liable to pay for their damages from your insurance (tip: read about the third party damage clause). Please don't go on calling them morons/idiots if you are unaware of the rules.

You were lucky it was not a lawyer or a police guy in any of those cars. Had an FIR been registered you would have been liable to pay to the other parties.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 19th August 2014 at 16:20.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry, but paying the balance (& not the NCB) was a fair deal. Though the OP was at fault, but then if he wanted, he could have simply shrugged off his responsibility and asked them to deal with his insurer for third party claim.
Sorry, but that's tantamount to "karle jo karna hai" by taking advantage of the lethargy of our system, knowing that nobody has the time and patience to follow on a third party claim.

Someone once banged my mostly unused santro in a similar scenario, and he told me that if I want money, I can deal with his insurer. However, when his bluff was called, and I was willing to have the ver helpful cops "ampond" both his and my car, he saw the light of day pretty well and paid up in full, no claim I had to make.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All[*]Always Wear seat belts and never buy a Maruti car! (no offense meant)
Can you let us know the reasons behind this statement?
Old 19th August 2014, 16:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
You were lucky it was not a lawyer or a police guy in any of those cars. Had an FIR been registered you would have been liable to pay to the other parties.
I think he was not to pay up; it was his insurer's liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sorry, but that's tantamount to "karle jo karna hai" by taking advantage of the lethargy of our system, knowing that nobody has the time and patience to follow on a third party claim.

Someone once banged my mostly unused santro in a similar scenario, and he told me that if I want money, I can deal with his insurer. However, when his bluff was called, and I was willing to have the ver helpful cops "ampond" both his and my car, he saw the light of day pretty well and paid up in full, no claim I had to make.
Sorry, but that is why you take third party insurance. So, if someone is ready to pay for the balance amount after claiming first party insurance, I would forget NCB & call it a deal.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lessons learnt:
  1. No matter what, don't take eyes off the road even for a second particularly on a crowded road or when you are doing high speeds.
In my opinion, this is the only lesson one has to learn from this incident.
I would've also made the same hue and cry as the other vehicle guys since it would not be my fault that someone rams my vehicle from behind.

I find it funny when people talk to me while I am driving and expect me to make eye contact with them.

And I find it alarming when I am talking to a driver and (s)he makes eye contact with me!
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Stepup,

Thank your lucky stars that no one was injured in this melee. Certainly you have learnt some imp lessons and shared, thanks for that. It is surely an eye opener/refresher, have seen so many drivers getting continously distracted and its an accident waiting to happen.

Since you had accepted your mistake and paid for other vehicle damages, I guess its time to act on the lessons learnt except for 3rd lessons about buying a Maruti car and move on in life.

I particularly didnt like the fact you greased the palm when you had been fighting right.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... you are liable to pay for their damages from your insurance ...
Yes, that's what I meant. See ^^^

Quote:
Old 19th August 2014, 16:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry, but that is why you take third party insurance. So, if someone is ready to pay for the balance amount after claiming first party insurance, I would forget NCB & call it a deal.
Exactly my point, if you have to pay yourself what is the point in having third party coverage

What is instead of an Alto and Dzire it was a Rolls Royce Phantom or an S-Class, many of us would not have been able to pay for even the difference let alone the full amount.

Accidents do happen and many a times you may be hit even if you are not at all at fault and we have to let insurance companies pay for the damages

Having said this i understand the Alto and Dzire owners' reaction-it is quite natural here.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When we started discussing the ultra hyper Alto guy started shouting and was in no mood of discussing. He was asking to repair his Alto in my car's insurance! While I was truing to tell them, we all have insurances, you claim your car's insurance towards damages and I will pay the part which you have to pay through your pocket. Both of them were insane like why I should waste my insurance, You have to fix it using your insurance. They had all kinds of arguments like we never caused any accidents, why we should claim the insurance etc. Alto guy started saying "Lets call Police". I was trying to convince him calling Police won't help and they will confiscate our cars and I am ready to pay for damages.

Sorry to say, but I don't agree with you.If you have caused the accident, you should get the other cars using your insurance - that is why you are paying third party premium when you buy an Insurance coverage.

If I have a NCB of even say 10%, I don't see why I should loose it because the guy behind me was not careful while driving his car. (I agree in your case the Alto guy did not have NCB, but what about the DZire guy? Would you agree to loose your NCB if some one hits from you behind for no fault of yours? )

Quote:
They (the alto guy) was asking exactly that - they wanted to get their car repaired using OP's insurance. I feel like that was the best get out of here card, but the OP chose not to use it.

Thanks
Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 19th August 2014 at 16:45.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant. See ^^^
Apologies if you meant the same as I did.

@Mayankk - It is not about 'jo karna hai karle' attitude. Because this is exactly why you buy third party insurance. This is precisely the insurer's liability. In case of such accidents, both parties can exchange insurance details and move on. This way you save your NCB too. If someone is straightaway willing to pay the balance after your first party claim, it's good too. You do lose NCB this way, obviously. When one is on road, you have to suffer a lot of times because of other's fault too. At times, you have to take this in your stride.

Not preaching, but this is what I did too last year. A D'zire banged into a traffic barricade at night at an empty stretch of road which came flying to my car and hit the driver's door & right fender, damaging both. Though my initial reaction was quite natural, but then I cooled down and spoke to the gentleman. He accepted his fault and promised to pay the difference amount after my first party insurance claim. I just took his phone number. Got my car repaired at MASS, and called up the other person about the difference in the bill, which he happily paid. I did lose my NCB. Just thanked my stars that I was not on my bike that fateful day else there was big chance that I would not have been writing this. Add to this, my wife was also accompanying me.

@Stepup: When the Alto guy wanted to get his car repaired from your insurance, why did you back off? That was the best & the right thing to do.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th August 2014 at 16:49. Reason: Adding question for stepup
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apologie--------------SNIP---------ompanying me.

All I'm trying to convey here is that OP's indignation is not necessarily righteous.

As for the rest, we all know quite well insurers and cops and courts make Third party claims worthless, except for when you go overboard.
Middle ground, best ground.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks