Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 15:07   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
It doesn't show as Delivered for me either. But the status says Active.
I checked and it said 'no data available' under that same column.
Did you have to update the KYC or just the RC card copy was sent when you had applied?

EDIT; Checked on the computer and it says Active. I was checking on the mobile all this while.

Weirdly , when I opened the website first , it already had a username and password of someone else's and I thought it was mine and logged in and then realized it was not mine.
This is personal computer as well.

Last edited by tharian : 4th October 2017 at 15:11.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:17   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

I want to attach it temporarily and test it. Does the tag work even if I do not peel off the translucent layer and stick with a cellophane tape?
Yes, that's how I use it and it works like a charm. I don't understand why some people go to the lengths of sticking it on a projector film, etc. when the tag already has a layer on it!
Old 6th October 2017, 09:52   #1638
BHPian

I've old ICICI tag and now i also got paytm tag as well. During last week travel, I just kept the paytm tag(inside the thick cover they shipped, but without silver wrap) in top of dashboard. Three tolls, i kept like this and all the three places paytm tag worked and no deduction from ICICI tag.

So it doesn't matter where we stick it, as long as its visible to toll securities then it is fine.
smnrock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:17   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetSC View Post
Yes, that's how I use it and it works like a charm. I don't understand why some people go to the lengths of sticking it on a projector film, etc. when the tag already has a layer on it!
If one doesnt remove the layer on the sticker side, it only means that we are making things difficult for the guard manning the booth to identify that your's is a tagged vehicle and he should let you pass into the FASTag lane!

It is only because of the tag's distinct identity and logo that most guards pull the barricade and allow you. If not, they may have to really walk in closer and figure out if its indeed a FASTag.

In fact, I have removed the cover and pasted a transparent tape and then fixed the tag on the windscreen without any further protection. This is not for testing but to make sure that I can easily transfer this tag in future if I ever change the windscreen because I have heard many incidents where a tag once fixed cannot be peeled off, undamaged.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th October 2017 at 11:37. Reason: are-->is
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:30   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If one doesnt remove the layer on the sticker side, it only means that we are making things difficult for the guard manning the booth to identify that your's are a tagged vehicle and he should let you pass into the FASTag lane!

It is only because of the tag's distinct identity and logo that most guards pull the barricade and allow you. If not, they may have to really walk in closer and figure out if its indeed a FASTag.
I'm not sure how you received the tag, but the layer on top of my ICICI tag is already transparent. Maybe your provider gave one with an opaque/translucent layer. If that is the case, then it makes sense to remove that and put the transparent projector film.
Old 6th October 2017, 11:36   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure how you received the tag, but the layer on top of my ICICI tag is already transparent. Maybe your provider gave one with an opaque/translucent layer. If that is the case, then it makes sense to remove that and put the transparent projector film.
My tag is also same and provided by ICICI.

Point I was trying to make here is about portability in case of change in windshield. If you stick the Tag with the adhesive that already is part of it, then you cant remove that without damaging.

So you paste a tape above this transparent layer to get rid of the sticky part and then paste this by using tape on the other side. So when you remove, it just comes off easily.

This is what I meant and there are pictures I have put :

Quote:
So, I peeled off the sticker covering the adhesive side and pasted transparent tape, completely covering that side and cut the tape exactly on the borders as per the shape of the Tag.

On the other side of the Tag, I pasted another strip of tape leaving 1 cm on either sides and then pasted this right inside the windscreen - Between IRVM and Driver Side A Pillar on top.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th October 2017 at 11:40.
Old 6th October 2017, 11:43   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
My tag is also same and provided by ICICI.

Point I was trying to make here is about portability in case of change in windshield. If you stick the Tag with the adhesive that already is part of it, then you cant remove that without damaging.

So you paste a tape above this transparent layer to get rid of the sticky part and then paste this by using tape on the other side. So when you remove, it just comes off easily.

This is what I meant:
Let me explain to you what I did. My tag, like most stickers, had a transparent film to protect the adhesive part. I placed the tag on my windscreen without peeling this layer off and stuck a cellophane tape over it. This solves the problem of damaging the tag while removing it, as I need to remove only the cellophane tape.

Last edited by MeetSC : 6th October 2017 at 11:45. Reason: removed some text.
MeetSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:47   #1643
BHPian

Finally got chance to test out the fastag for my car over last weekend. went from bangalore to Belgaum and as per NHAI website there are 11 toll plaza on the way for a total value of 647

But my fastag has recorded only 7 toll charges worth 346 from bangalore to belgaum and only 4 on the way back worth 295!

The expectation of zooming thru the fastag lane's wasn't as expected. few tolls had someone manually opening barricade to let my car enter the fastag lane, one toll plaza had closed the fastag and had to pay by cash.

Most of the tolls didn't automatically detect the tag and someone had to manually scan using a hand held scanner.

On the way back it started raining heavily from Sira onwards and visibility was very poor. cross the 2 tolls between tumkur and nelmangala was a nightmare to say the least, everyone was allowed thru fastag lane, neither automatic nor manual scanning worked.

even though there is a good amount of time to go before this system become smooth and efficient but at least its a good start.
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:51   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
had a transparent film to protect the adhesive part.
There you go. So in my case it was a brown sticker on the adhesive part.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20170209_182713.jpg

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20170209_182756.jpg

So what you said is right - Your tag from ICICI came with a transparent protective layer instead of the brown one in my case. So I had to remove that, expose the adhesive side and still paste that with a tape to cover that off. And then use another tape on the other side, extend that by a centimeter on all 4 sides and stick it to the windscreen.

Mystery solved .
Old 6th October 2017, 12:44   #1645
BHPian

Quote:

So what you said is right - Your tag from ICICI came with a transparent protective layer instead of the brown one in my case. So I had to remove that, expose the adhesive side and still paste that with a tape to cover that off. And then use another tape on the other side, extend that by a centimeter on all 4 sides and stick it to the windscreen.

Mystery solved .
Correct. ICICI has both kind of tags. I got the initial one with the transparent peel off, which unfortunately did not work. Replacement sent by ICICI was having the brown peel off(same as in your picture).
I too used the similar method as yours and fixed the tag onto windscreen using transparent cello tape.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 12:51   #1646
BHPian

Quote:

Mystery solved .
I think the newer tags have a transparent film, saving the trouble that you had to undergo.
MeetSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 14:13   #1647
BHPian

My experience of using Fastag during my recent trip to Goa has been a mixed bag and is summarised below.

a) Enroute to Goa: The Fastag lane was usually manned and entry was restricted for non-fastag users. None of the installed scanners were working in my case and the toll staff has to manually scan the tag. Also, big boards for Fastag lanes have been put up to advise the users take the same (if eligible). Detailed experience is listed below:
1) Nelamangla Toll Plaza: The scanner didn't work and i was directed to take the other lane.
2) Karjeevanhally Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
3) Guilalu Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
4) Hebbalu Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
5) Bankapur Toll Plaza: The Fastag lane is not operational. Had to go via the normal lane. When enquired, the toll plaza employees were clueless.

b) Enroute to Bangalore: Though the fastag lanes were manned, we saw a lot of vehicles trying to enter the dedicated lane (as the same was free) which were then forced by the marshals to find an alternative, thus blocking the entire traffic. Nelamangala toll was worst of the lot wherein they have allowed non-fastag users to enter and were collecting cash from them; for fastag users they were using manual scanners.

1) Bankapur Toll Plaza: The Fastag lane is not operational. Had to go via the normal lane. When enquired, the toll plaza employees were again clueless.
2)Chalageri Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
3)Hebbalu Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
4)Karjeevanhally Toll Plaza: Lane was free and manual scanning was done owing to defective scanner
5)Chokkenahalli toll plaza: All the non-fastag users were allowed in the dedicated lane and cash was being collected from them; for fastag users manual scanning was done.

Last edited by unleash_thunder : 6th October 2017 at 14:17.
unleash_thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 15:59   #1648
Senior - BHPian

I have a query regarding how the fastag works when it comes to day trips or return within 24 hours which is normally bought as a return ticket at the booth.

Does the fastag not have that option or do we to inform the booth attendant that we need a return ?
Old 6th October 2017, 16:04   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have a query regarding how the fastag works when it comes to day trips or return within 24 hours which is normally bought as a return ticket at the booth.
Works very perfectly and as expected.

So the first time you pass a booth, it charges one way fare from your account. You return back and pass the same booth before 24 Hours, it will charge only the remaining part to make up for the "return" fare.

So your problem of buying a return ticket is solved here. Earlier one had to plan to return back before its 24 hours (or even 12 in case of few booths in Bangalore). With FASTag, you need not worry on that. So if you had a bought a return ticket and get delayed, you had to again buy a one way ticket. It may also happen that you returned via different route. It is exactly here that the FASTag comes to benefit.

If you return back before 24 hours is when you will be charged appropriately for the return amount else it will deduct full one way fare if you pass after 24 hours as usual.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th October 2017 at 16:05.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 16:08   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Does the fastag not have that option or do we to inform the booth attendant that we need a return ?
If a booth has 45 as one way and 65 as return, It will 45rs when you cross the toll for the first time. When you return, you will be charged only Rs 20.
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks