Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:43   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes, Please see my post for details.
Thanks Shamanth, Will file a grievance at PGportal reg the same.
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:51   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
though all 6 Toll booths had dedicated lane for FasTag, at 2 - 3 toll booths other vehicles especially trucks were allowed in the FastTag lane.
Some trucks also have Fastags. Are you sure the trucks that offended you did not have the tags at all, or just that their tags did not function correctly? In my experience trucks without the tags don't usually enter the ETC lane, but often they don't have sufficient balance to pay the toll (the balance being controlled by some fleet manager in an office somewhere).

On the other hand, the TNSTC/SETC drivers do enter the ETC lanes without tags and bully the toll booth staff to pass through. Reprehensible behaviour. Haven't seen KaSRTC or KeSRTC drivers doing this.

Quote:
On the return in the evening, FasTag Lane at Krishnagiri & Attibelle toll were jam-packed with all vehicles, had to take the normal lane.
Yep, at high traffic hours all bets are off. Pity, really. But at those times tempers are really frayed that nobody wants to be the spark that caused the explosion. The solution I have for that is to avoid such times; if that is not possible avoid the toll booths at such times; and if that also is not possible just grin and bear it.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:09   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Some trucks also have Fastags. Are you sure the trucks that offended you did not have the tags at all, or just that their tags did not function correctly?
I am not sure if the Trucks had FasTag or not, but they were taking a good time to pass, as if they're paying by cash.

Quote:
On the other hand, the TNSTC/SETC drivers do enter the ETC lanes without tags and bully the toll booth staff to pass through. Reprehensible behaviour.
True, especially at the EC & Attibelle toll. NHAI should take stern action against these erring TN transport buses!

Quote:
Yep, at high traffic hours all bets are off. Pity, really. But at those times tempers are really frayed that nobody wants to be the spark that caused the explosion. The solution I have for that is to avoid such times; if that is not possible avoid the toll booths at such times; and if that also is not possible just grin and bear it.
Agree, best is to avoid weekend mornings/evenings, but NHAI should have proper measures in place to keep the FasTag lane aloof from other vehicles.

Also, one crucial thing they should do is to keep the FasTag lane either left-most or right-most for all the Toll booths, currently it is all here & there and we have to struggle to identify the FasTag lane while entering the Toll plaza.

Last edited by finneyp : 2nd May 2017 at 17:19.
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:04   #844
BHPian

Posted the below concern in PGPORTAL regarding Paliyekkara Toll at thrissur and L&T toll at coimbatore byepass. Hope some action will be taken.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-pggrievance.png  

AshiqueS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:44   #845
BHPian

Update: Fastags on Mumbai - Delhi NH8/NH48 toll plazas

All toll plazas except 3 on the Rajasmand - Beawar (Two lane highway) are Fastag enabled.

I always used the lane with least number of vehicles irrespective of whether Fastag lane or not. Most had the handheld scanners but for the ones where the scanner did not work, I was let go without any deductions or demand for cash payment.

Total deductions for the trip was Rs. 794/- for approximately 1400 km trip. I think that I have saved at least Rs. 600/- by having Fastag installed.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:10   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Also, one crucial thing they should do is to keep the FasTag lane either left-most or right-most for all the Toll booths, currently it is all here & there and we have to struggle to identify the FasTag lane while entering the Toll plaza.
Friend, why not create an online spreadsheet that lists the fastag-lane at various toll plazas? As a reference document it will help many people particularly when toll plazas are crowded and lane changing is difficult at the last moment. [Original idea by BHPian binand (link)]

I had made a small spreadsheet and uploaded it in this thread earlier (link). Why not add more details from your experience?
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:13   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Friend, why not create an online spreadsheet that lists the fastag-lane at various toll plazas? As a reference document it will help many people particularly when toll plazas are crowded and lane changing is difficult at the last moment.
Buddy, this is not a solution, also not feasible to refer the excel sheet each time you travel.

I will raise a grievance at PGportal requesting Transport Dept for a uniform FasTag lane across all Toll plazas in the country.
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:01   #848
BHPian

Went to Yelagiri hills over the last few days and had a mixed response wrt fast tag.

The toll at Hosur functioned well for the onward journey but did not work for the return - it was just not recognized. The toll attendants let me go without a fuss but the question is why the malfunction .

The one at Krishnagiri also deducted the money for return journey but not for the onward journey.

This inconsistency makes me think that we have a long way to go for everyone to use this technology.
Old 4th May 2017, 05:54   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, this is not a solution, also not feasible to refer the excel sheet each time you travel.

I will raise a grievance at PGportal requesting Transport Dept for a uniform FasTag lane across all Toll plazas in the country.
This is what works for me. I have the spreadsheet on my smartphone. When approaching a toll plaza, I ask my co-passenger to open the sheet and let me know which lane is Fastag. If driving alone, I have a look at the spreadsheet during food/bio break to know about the fastag lanes in the next few toll plazas. Just a suggestion.
Old 4th May 2017, 08:30   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I had made a small spreadsheet and uploaded it in this thread earlier (link). Why not add more details from your experience?
I think that was after my suggestion to do the same? But eventually I gave up the idea; since it looked not very feasible. What I do now is to slow down soon after the toll booth is visible and locate the FT lane.

1. At many toll booths (but not a fixed rule) the FT lane is the second from left edge; immediately next to the oversized vehicles lane.

2. The orange colour scheme of the FT logo is often quickly located since it contrasts nicely with the largely green toll booth signage.

3. In some booths the approach signage of the toll booths ("1 km ahead" etc.) mention which lane is the FT lane. Look out for those.

4. Locate the lane that is extended like a long tail with plastic barricades and someone manning the entry; that is often the FT lane.

5. If nothing helps, just go through the oversized vehicle lane. That is where the handheld scanner is usually kept apparently.

I think the most user-friendly solution is to create a layer on Google Maps. Don't know if it is possible; but we could certainly explore that option as a collaborative/crowdsourcing project. https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024933.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 08:49   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road transport ministry's rush to mandate RFID tags in vehicles without adequate infrastructure has meant that 73 lakh vehicles manufactured over the last couple of years carry dud tags which may need to be refixed or updated. These tags were meant to sail you through toll plazas as you could load cash in advance.

But the entire scheme has proved to be a non-starter as the government is only waking up to the problem now.For new vehicles, automobile dealers will have to install FasTags from August before these come out of the showrooms. Earlier there was a proposal to roll out the move from October but the Prime Minister's office wanted it to be advanced.
Excerpt from ToI news related to non-usage of RFID tags installed by OEM so far, source.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:09   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move to correct the rash directive from MoRTH 2 years back to mandate RFID tags without any associated infrastructure.

Don't forget, MoRTH is now doing this in spite of stiff opposition from PPP road developers who will find this skimmed takings going down with this move to digital payments.

I hope swift action is also taken concurrently to increase the number of FASTag lanes across all tollbooths in India!
Old 4th May 2017, 09:11   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Excerpt from ToI news related to non-usage of RFID tags installed by OEM so far, source.
I dont understand why the banks cant just register the existing tags through their tag ID and link it to the fastag account instead of issuing a fresh tag when we apply for Fastag. This will save us the hassle of waiting for a physical tag and having multiple RFID tags on the windshield. Afterall, the technology is the same and it just needs some meetings between the banks and the providers of the manufacturer installed tags to understand how the tags are identified.

Now that I already have FasTag, I will consider removing the other RFID tag on the windshield since it seems to be a bombed strategy. At least it will improve the detection speed at toll booths which I feel is currently the issue at least with my car. It takes some time for my tag to be detected and I believe this is due to interference from the OE tag which is pasted close to the Fastag. Hopefully this should make passage faster and I dont have to be nervous each second that passes before the barrier opens.
Old 4th May 2017, 10:41   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Posted the below concern in PGPORTAL regarding Paliyekkara Toll at thrissur and L&T toll at coimbatore byepass. Hope some action will be taken.
Good one. It might take couple of months to get reply through speed post, but as i found out they do get to bottom of issue and try to resolve it. What we need to more complaints like this to address the issue, if more people complain it will reach the officials and start streamlining the issue.

Today i called Raikal toll plaza near Jadcherla 50kms from hyderabad, they had placed a fastag board between two lanes as it confuses people, so advised them to put arrow mark. The person told he will do it right away.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:52   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont understand why the banks cant just register the existing tags through their tag ID and link it to the fastag account instead of issuing a fresh tag when we apply for Fastag. This will save us the hassle of waiting for a physical tag and having multiple RFID tags on the windshield. Afterall, the technology is the same and it just needs some meetings between the banks and the providers of the manufacturer installed tags to understand how the tags are identified.
What information does the OE RFID tag contain? Does it contain any record of the vehicle serial numbers or any other means of identification?

I have applied for a fastag through ICICI and am due to submit my documents this saturday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks