Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 18:22   #16
BHPian

I guess the television could be used and someone can make use of the stars of the nation ( sachin, sharukh, hrithik, abhishek, aish, susmitha etc)

When amitabh can do wonders for the polio campaign why not make him do the traffic awareness campaign.

whichever star is willing to lend his/her helping hand and send the message across very clearly to the masses can be made the brand ambassadors. I guess they would be very much willing to oblige.

Also, the theatres should always feature the importance of following traffic rules with compelling videos to change the mindset.

Last edited by muni : 5th December 2006 at 18:25.
Old 5th December 2006, 18:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
whichever star is willing to lend his/her helping hand .......
i m ready, any takers!!!
Old 5th December 2006, 20:59   #18
BHPian

May be come up with a traffice awareness drive in cities.
Old 6th December 2006, 11:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

2fast4u, you have a point, about using the radio as a medium to instill atleast a basic traffic sense in the driving population. In Chennai, Radio Mirchi does a good job on this front. During their programmes (especially the ones aired during morning/evening peak hours which motorists are most likely to tune to) they keep telling drivers to follow the rules, use low beam in city, drive sanely etc. And I think it helps.

Atleast for me, when Suchitra (hostess of Hello Chennai programme) comes on air and makes a request to "drive with a smile" in that sexy voice of hers, there is no way I could ignore that exhortation.

Another thing that helps is setting an example. We are quick to brand all others on the road as morons, yet almost all of us make one mistake or the other ourselves. Instead of wasting energy on blaming others, if we start practicing the rules, I am sure atleast a few would observe and start following the rules themselves.

At junctions where free left is not allowed, if we stop and wait till we get the green signal, the example we set will be followed by atleast a few fellow motorists. Ofcourse it takes quite a bit of determination to stay put when you have the heavy vehicle behind you revving the accelerator or honking madly to make you move.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th December 2006 at 11:33.
Old 6th December 2006, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
radio how many of us have tinted glassess beyond the permissible limits?
Guilty. However....... but...... only from the safety viewpoint. i have to work late on most days and dont feel safe without dark tints on the roads of bangalore. There are an increasing no. of muggings and robberies being reported on the ring roads (in Bangalore) these days.

On the other hand, i do stop at the red signals (however late it may be)and it is extremely irritating to be goaded by the honking truck or call center cab behind me to break the red light and drive thru when there is little traffic. I try to stop in the left most lane, but that is not always possible.

The problem is that there is no enforcement of traffic rules. Strict enforcement is the only way. Himanshu says that Delhi traffic has become much more disciplined since the Delhi Traffic police got strict in the last couple of years. When will that happen in Bangalore, I wonder???? With the attitude of the people, we require traffic policemen to be on the roads 24x7.

Truck and cab drivers (not to mention two wheeler riders) dont hesitate to break signals right under the traffic policeman's nose - and he lets them get away with it. if you let people get away once, they will surely push the lmits......

I like the idea of using the radio to spread traffic messages (but the ones who need it most - truck drivers/two wheelers) may not have access to FM on the go. If we are able to get them to run a campaign on road safety awareness (not only traffic, but other issues like jaywalking, wating on roads for the bus - instead of on the footpaths, pedestrians - especially young school going children - walking on roads instead of on the footpaths, etc), that would be very helpful.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
A couple of things that I would personally like to have my hands on.

1. A Traffic Rules Manual
2. Good Driving Etiquettes.
3. Tips on driving in specific Cities.

Sharath
An excellent manual called the Driver's Manual authored by Dr.Pasricha , a Ph.D in Traffic Management is available.I got a copy of this when I logged on as member of Indiacar.com.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:33   #22
BHPian

if possible we can have such educational programmes during out TBHP meets. i see that as a very bright opportunity to contribute to the society. get hold of a big parking lot, loudspeaker & any radio station to spread the message (of course the funding also )

if nybody has kids they can arrange a couple of sessions with fellow TBHPians in the school with the management's permission. at that age u can still mould somebody's thoughts & action but difficult once they grow up.
Old 7th December 2006, 00:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Guilty. However....... but...... only from the safety viewpoint. i have to work late on most days and dont feel safe without dark tints on the roads of bangalore. There are an increasing no. of muggings and robberies being reported on the ring roads (in Bangalore) these days.
I don't quite understand. Is it a Sun Film or is it a Privacy Film. Is putting film for privacy reasons legal. In any case, the front glass has to be clear and anyone can see through the front glass. So there goes the privacy....

Reminds me of this funny incident.
I hate dark sun film because it really affects my night driving vision. So after much deliberation, I spent about 14 K and put the Llumar clear sun film (solar control film) on my Wagon R. When I showed it to my colleague, he asked me what was the point if nobody could tell if you have a sun film. I was like..."Hello, the sun film is for me ... to cut down the temperature inside the car..... not for you to appreciate it from outside...."

My other problem with Sun films is that when I am following a car with dark sun films especially in the day times, I can't see through to figure out what is in the front or what is the oncoming vehicle. Can be damn irritating. It's like being behind a big Bus and you have no clue of what is in the front.

My other crib is that my current swift has a slightly tinted Glass compared to my previous Wagon R and I feel it affects the night vision even without any film. Which is one of the reasons that I am still driving it without a sun film.
Old 7th December 2006, 15:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Programs On Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
if possible we can have such educational programmes during out TBHP meets. i see that as a very bright opportunity to contribute to the society.
if nybody has kids they can arrange a couple of sessions with fellow TBHPians in the school with the management's permission. at that age u can still mould somebody's thoughts & action but difficult once they grow up.
I believe many of us do not know/forget many rules of responsible driving.We need refresher lessons.

As far as the kids go , rightly said...catch them young and mould them when still tender.
Old 7th December 2006, 16:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I believe many of us do not know/forget many rules of responsible driving.We need refresher lessons.
i agree we need refresher lessons but "teaching is the best method of learning". plus i m sure before any such sessions people responsible will do their share of googling.
Old 7th December 2006, 17:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
An excellent manual called the Driver's Manual authored by Dr.Pasricha , a Ph.D in Traffic Management is available.I got a copy of this when I logged on as member of Indiacar.com.
Hi Vigsom,

If you have a soft copy of the manual, will it be possible to put it up for everyone to download; Or is it only for indiacr.com members, please revert.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2006, 21:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

The Driver's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post
Hi Vigsom,

If you have a soft copy of the manual, will it be possible to put it up for everyone to download; Or is it only for indiacr.com members, please revert.

Thanks
Hi,

The manual was posted to my residence a couple of months after I registered.This was a promo by Indiacar.com then.

This is published by Nasha Publication,New Marine Lines Mumbai.

By the way Turbo Freak,what is your "engine's" bhp?????
Old 8th December 2006, 02:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

More than personal discipline I feel that our enforcement authorities (the traffic cops) suck big time. How many of us have seen people ignoring the stop line everyday ? If only the law was strict as it is in the US, stop line violations would churn out enough money into the government exchequer. As far as India is concerned, awareness can be created, we as sensible bhpians can take all possible steps to instill discipline into people but its only fear and only fear of being punished by law that can make any individual, literate or illiterate to obey traffic rules. Not to exclude the enforcement authorities who are hell bent on taking bribes and allow violators to go scot-free. They should be taken to task as well. Will this ever, ever, ever happen in India ?
Old 12th December 2006, 18:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
More than personal discipline I feel that our enforcement authorities (the traffic cops) suck big time. How many of us have seen people ignoring the stop line everyday ? If only the law was strict as it is in the US, stop line violations would churn out enough money into the government exchequer. As far as India is concerned, awareness can be created, we as sensible bhpians can take all possible steps to instill discipline into people but its only fear and only fear of being punished by law that can make any individual, literate or illiterate to obey traffic rules. Not to exclude the enforcement authorities who are hell bent on taking bribes and allow violators to go scot-free. They should be taken to task as well. Will this ever, ever, ever happen in India ?
Dude, I am of the same opinion as you. That is the reason I was keen on starting with the authhorities first. Once charged hefty no one will dare break a rule. People get away with 50 & 100 rs bribes. Damn, I would never think of jumping a red light if I was fined rs2000 or even more than a 1000.
Old 12th December 2006, 19:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
How about coming up with stickers that we stick it on our car? This sticker would proudly announce car belonging to a TEAM-BHP member as well as say something like "I always obey traffic rule" or "My car is powerful but I drive responsibly" or "I respect traffic rule".
This is a good idea. I have been thinking in similar lines for sometime. Like "I follow traffic rules. Do you?" If people dont follow rules immediately, they keep on reading this stuff everywhere and slowly their conscious will change!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks